Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did this 'Gard' abuse his power?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

what a bull**t
    do you have full driving licence ? how did you learn to drive...

if any road has two lanes - right lane should be left empty.
    If u drive on the right lane and see that something wants to overtake you - you go on the slower left lane.
    Gucky you should get some experience in Germany for example. you would go to the court quickly for dangerous driving.

O another superdriver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

antodeco wrote: »
    I hate people who can't use the Naas road properly. Sitting in the right lane or middle lane. OP, just because you were doing the speed limit does not give you the right to police the roads and prevent drivers behind from going faster....

Sorry.

Let me set the scene (i prob didn't describe it proper from the start)
    In the middle lane is a line of say 20 to 30 cars, all doing around the 60mph mark.
    I'm about a mile from newland cross (perhaps less) going past this line of traffic doing perhaps 65 to 70mph in the right lane.

Car appears from my behind, fleshing etc (where am I to go? Theres traffic in the middle lane after all) and besides, at less than a mile to the tallaght lane, moving at 60 odd mile an hour, me moving into the middle lane to facilitate a prick (who was going to the same destination as me incidently) was ludicrous.

It was unfortunate for this fella that I happened to be, exactly in the same lane he wanted to be in, and there is no one gets more infuriated by folk ' hogging' the right hand lane than me. My wife is prob fed up hearing me tell her that (on motorways) that lane is designed to be overtaken on only! Not to be drive on at 120kmh and to refuse to be budged off it!

However, on this instance, this guy was wrong, very very wrong.

My behaviour when he flashed his id (whatever it was) was far from perfect, but I resorted to that behaviour ONLY when I felt this guy (if a garda) is pushing his luck here. He can't make me pull in just because he feels like it!

As of yet, I've no letters, no garda at the door, and haven't been pulled in.
    So, I can only assume from this, that I'm correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Just to clear things up. You must always keep left unless overtaking or turning right ahead. This applies to all roads, not just motorways, unless the road markings or overhead signs suggest otherwise. A mile is too far a distance to be "turning right ahead" so you should have been in the driving lane (far left) or middle lane if you were going a speed that meant you would be overtaking the vehicles in the driving lane without enough room to move to the driving lane. If this car undertook you and had reason to be upset with you for not letting him pass, there is a good chance there was enough room in the middle lane for you to pull left.

Instances like this contribute to road rage and an overall increase in risk of collisions due to the knock on effect of driving behaviour. Driving incorrectly also slows down the whole road network. If somebody appears to be in a hurry it's safer to let them by. If you feel they are driving inappropriately for the conditions, you can report them to Traffic Watch on 1890 205 805.

Gah! I hate the use of "Gard". It just looks so ridiculous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Gucky wrote: »
    Sorry.

If you could see the look of disappointment on my face right now..

Gucky, I have your back.. The road is YOURS, stick to your guns twinkletoes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 FreeCheese4All

We're not!..

Zzzz .. :mad:

Must ensure future posts are more amusing for Maki!!

Ah forget that just put me on ignore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭Tefral

http://online.mdiaus.net.au/CMS/ProdImage/BX-SS_SS.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

op, fair play to ya.. Sit in whatever bloody lane on the N7 you want, give 'em the finger, Gucky, I have your back.. The road is YOURS, stick to your guns twinkletoes..

makikimi and O/P up a tree, k i s s i n g, first came love makikimi, than came ......... nobody as makikimi was a selfish lover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

cronin_j wrote: »

Link doesn't work..

I'm on my phone, I'll check it again at the next red lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭Tefral

Link doesn't work..

I'm on my phone, I'll check it again at the next red lights.

Ha ha :D

• Advertisement

Lol :D

But these super drivers aren't reading the post correctly.

Incidently, for the guy telling me a mile away is too far away to be in the right hand lane......

If travelling at 60 mph, and you have to be in the right lane in a mile.
    That gives me 10 secs, to get into the middle lane and back into the right hand one again?:rolleyes:
    (thanks Sesame street ^)
    Anyways, thank fcuck Jeeves is back from sick leave this evening and I can get back to being chaufered around the place again.

What what what.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

60 miles per hour (60 minutes) = 1 mile per minute :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

cormie wrote: »
    60 miles per hour (60 minutes) = 1 mile per minute.

ha ha, Sesame Street didn't do him that much good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭teetotaller

That gives me 10 secs, to get into the middle lane and back into the right hand one again?:rolleyes:

Edit
    no point to put the same for the 3rd time.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

we already know, that you don't have a driving licence, now I can say, that you didn't finish your school too.

60 miles per hour is 60 miles per 60 minutes, so it is 1 mile per minute , not 10 sec like you wrote.
    :)

Damn you, I thought I could now reduce my 26 mile commute to work in the morning to a nice 4 or 5 minute jaunt :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I really feel that this exact thread was posted sometime before. Anyone else having a case of deja vu reading it?

Gay Byrne knows nothing about driving, he bought his licence like id say you did...
    I guess you still drive like you did for your test so.
    Just because its not a motorway doesnt mean you can drive merrily along in any lane you like, the keep left rule applies to all roads and in fact you can get penalty points for failure to do so..

Well when you are going to turn right at newlands cross coming from naas, how late should you leave it, when does this overtakning lane allow drivers enter it so as to be in position to be in the correct lane to turn right?

What about rush hour traffic when the road is clogged up, everyone in the extreme left lane is it?

A bit of cop on is whats used when driving and regard to the rules, not computer programmed rules followed like a robot, not these dick heads that drive a meter behind you and all of a sudden people here are claiming the person being tail gated is driving dangerously, when they are going to be turning right shortly. Maybe we should stay in the left lane until the junction, then swerve across to the right turning lane in the last 50 meters.
    the varg
    No matter, irish drivers are supposed to drive on the left hand side of the road regardless of whether there are two lanes or ten lanes,except for overtaking so from that point of view you where in the wrong but so was the other guy for undertaking and jumping back into the right lane

TBH sounds like it was a meeting of two spanners on the road[/IMG]

So how can he turn right from a dual carriageway if he can only go into the right lane for overtaking?
    Learn from it, and get on with it FFS
    Im sure the OP is thankful for the advice.
    Want this thread more exciting, ha ha transfer it to the Motors Forum and watch this thread and the OP's posts be tore to shreads by the members there!
    Yes even though he has a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

But these super drivers aren't reading the post correctly.

Incidently, for the guy telling me a mile away is too far away to be in the right hand lane......

(thanks Sesame street ^)
    Anyways, thank fcuck Jeeves is back from sick leave this evening and I can get back to being chaufered around the place again.

What what what.

It gives you a minute not 10 seconds. If that's not enough you can always slow down. Your story doesn't add up. I fail to see how he could have undertaken you if there was a line of twenty cars beside you.

Just to clear things up. You must always keep left unless overtaking or turning right ahead. This applies to all roads, not just motorways, unless the road markings or overhead signs suggest otherwise. A mile is too far a distance to be "turning right ahead" so you should have been in the driving lane (far left) or middle lane if you were going a speed that meant you would be overtaking the vehicles in the driving lane without enough room to move to the driving lane. If this car undertook you and had reason to be upset with you for not letting him pass, there is a good chance there was enough room in the middle lane for you to pull left.

Instances like this contribute to road rage and an overall increase in risk of collisions due to the knock on effect of driving behaviour. Driving incorrectly also slows down the whole road network. If somebody appears to be in a hurry it's safer to let them by. If you feel they are driving inappropriately for the conditions, you can report them to Traffic Watch on 1890 205 805.

Yes great, but speeding is the biggest cause of serious accidents and deaths, not being in the right hand lane approaching a junction waiting to turn right. If someone is in a hury they will be the cause of accidents, not the person they are bullying on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

k_mac wrote: »
    It gives you a minute not 10 seconds. If that's not enough you can always slow down. Your story doesn't add up. I fail to see how he could have undertaken you if there was a line of twenty cars beside you.

its not hard to figure out tbh, the cars could be spaced out enough so that the closing speed does not make it worthwhile to pull in and back out but far enough apart for the guy to undertake

you are not expected to be in the driving lane right up until the guy in fornt of you' bumper then pul out overtake and then straight back in so he is at your bumper. if there are cars doing 60 and your doing 70 if they are 100ft away you will be beside them in about 10 seconds. imo thats not long enough to pull back into the driving lane but might be long enough for a guy right on your bumper to undertake you

• Advertisement

Are you trying to say that 1 minute from a major junction we should get out of the way of a fella in a mad rush while we are in the correct lane for turning right? Well i have to say i would`t, im sure all the fantastic drivers here would of course, at least while they are typing, but while on the road they would in reality be severely annoyed at the idiot speeding up behind them.

So im still waiting for the answer as to how far from the junction the overtaking lane is allowed to be entered even though your not overtaking but turning right, what does the rules say, what distance is it? There are so many perfect full licence drivers here that it should be an easy question to answer. Because a mile does not sound to unreasonable to me thats for sure. Are you going to know your exactly a mile from the junction? You could be closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

No, Just no.

You always keep left where possible.. You only enter the overtaking lane (or fast lane as stupid Irish people call it) if your overtaking a car.
    If your in the far most left lane, you use the middle lane to overtake and pull straight back into the left lane, if you cannot you use the far most right lane to overtake the middle lane, but at all times your ment to drive in the far most left lane.

TBH it sounds like it wasnt even a Garda and some fool trying to scare you.

The Eagles also call it the fast lane.

antodeco wrote: »
    I hate people who can't use the Naas road properly. Sitting in the right lane or middle lane. OP, just because you were doing the speed limit does not give you the right to police the roads and prevent drivers behind from going faster....

Yes so other drivers must obey the drive in left lane rule to suit you, but you cant obey the drive within speed limit rule to suit them.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Yes so other drivers must obey the drive in left lane rule to suit you, but you cant obey the drive at speed limit rule to suit them.

Exactly

60 miles per hour (60 minutes) = 1 mile per minute :)

DOH!

PeakOutput wrote: »
    its not hard to figure out tbh, the cars could be spaced out enough so that the closing speed does not make it worthwhile to pull in and back out but far enough apart for the guy to undertake

you are not expected to be in the driving lane right up until the guy in fornt of you' bumper then pul out overtake and then straight back in so he is at your bumper. if there are cars doing 60 and your doing 70 if they are 100ft away you will be beside them in about 10 seconds. imo thats not long enough to pull back into the driving lane but might be long enough for a guy right on your bumper to undertake you

Exactly, sounds like some drivers here only drive on empty roads.

PeakOutput wrote: »

If there is room to undertake then there is room to pull in and let someone pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

If there is room to undertake then there is room to pull in and let someone pass.

there might be but that dosnt mean you are obliged to do so. you are accusing him of using the overtaking lane incorrectly, i just gave a case were you could be using completely correctly and still have an angry driver behind you.

if im in the overtaking lane overtaking a line of traffic im not going to squeeze back in to let him by, ill overtake the cars i was intending to overtake and then pull in and he can do what he wants after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

so, was driving down the Naas road, about a mile from Newland cross when this car (driving right tight behind me, suddenly swerves out from the right hand lane into the middle lane, undertakes me, them goes back into the right hand lane). Quite careless and recklessly tbh.

Cue, a mile down the road at newlands cross, I'm sitting in the tallaght bound lane, and this car is sitting in the other Tallaght lane (anyone familiar with the road will understand) so, basically at newlands cross, two lanes for tallaght coming from naas, I'm in the right lane, this mad driver is in the left.

This bloke is giving me daggers through his window, but I'm a big bloke, and can look after myself (I'm no one man army mind!)

I put down my window, ask the guy if he's ok, and that he nearly caused an accident back on the road. He shouted something about me not letting him past and him in a hurry.

Anyway, traffic starts to move as the lights turn green, were both on Belgard road heading towards Tallaght, your man still mouthing off through his car window, to which I start laughing at him (i find laughing at dickheads infuriates them more than shouting abuse at them:D)

Next thing I know, he's holding up some form of id at me, and screaming 'Garda! Pull in!' Now, at this point I hope I have explained that, if he was a Gard, he's in an unmarked car, not using flashing lights, not in the hurry that he seemed to be in five mins earlier, and as far as I'm concerned, the 'ID' he was holding up, might as well have been a libary card for what I could make out!

My reply to his demands to pull in were a not very polite 'go eff yourself' he shouted again 'pull in!' And I blew him a kiss! (he was fuming at this stage!)

I was headed right on belgard road (towards the belgard inn) and he drove straight on in the general direction of Tallaght.

Anyways, that was Wednesday night, still haven't heard a thing from the law, no police arrived at my door, haven't been stopped on the road etc.

My guess, this was a young, jumped up Gard, late for his shift at Tallaght Garda station, bullying his way to work.

Anyone any other suggestions?

I suggest you learn how to use the roads correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

Is this you Gay Byrne?

This is the second time I'll explain this to you.

The Naas road (N7) is not a motor way, therefore there is no 'overtaking lane' on it.

Comments like this actually infuriate me, as does driving like this, learn how to drive OP.

Advertisement