Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Masked Man wrote: »
    Salas moves up from practice squad. Deion Branch is waived.

Along with Malcolm Williams to make room for Talib.

I know we needed the roster spot for Talib but the Branch move surprised me. Branch can be claimed off waivers up until 4 p.m. Monday. Interestingly enough he made the injury report on Thursday and was listed with a hamstring injury. Whether this is a ploy to keep other teams away, so Branch can return later if needed is hard to know.

Interesting to see if Talib can have an immediate impact on the secondary today. And hopefully we won't see any more silly dropped balls like we did last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Suspected broken forearm for Rob Gronkowski.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Confirmed by Adam Shefter on twitter. Happened on last extra point play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

He out 4-6 weeks....damn but at least he'll be back for the playoffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Yeah, big loss for the rest of the season.
    Hopefully Hernandez will come back fully fit now and getting Gronk back in the playoffs will give us a good boost.

Have to say I'm still a little concerned after last night's game.
    In spite of the TD's, int's and forced fumbles they're making, they still gave up a lot of points.

Losing Gronk is a heavy price to pay, last night he broke another NFL record when he became the first TE in history to score 10 TD's or more in 3 consecutive seasons. On top of all that, we lose the brilliant Chandler Jones early in the first quarter. I hope Hernandez isn't rushed back too soon, but if he can come back at 100% then it would be real nice right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

Losing Gronk is a massive hit to the offense, watching him play is glorious. But if Edelman continues to play the way he did last night then we don't need a TE :p

Hernandez is expected to play Thursday night...thank god

Hazys wrote: »
    Hernandez is expected to play Thursday night...thank god

Thank god alright and is it too much to ask for us to have both Hernandez and Gronk fit at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Goose_Hyypia

Confirmed by Adam Shefter on twitter. Happened on last extra point play.

Is there any footage of the play ? Curious to see how it happened

Brady talking on D&C earlier if anyone is interested

Looking back to early season worries, the O line has been getting more impressive as the season progresses. Brady was virtually untouched in the last two games and if that level of protection is maintained, then Brady will do his thing Gronk or no Gronk.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Just watched the last point play where Gronk got injured. He lined up, and as the colts player rushed through the line, he kinda threw his left elbow out to block. was a half hearted efforted to block, and never got his hand outstretched. colts player just ran through his arm really. he walks off the field, not swinging his arm, and he can be seen on the sideline wincing then as trainers look at it.

Once we can we enter the playoffs with all our key players fit and clear of injury, I'll be happy. We've had our fair of share of shítty injuries for awhile now, hopefully we might get a bit of luck for the rest of the season.

bruschi wrote: »
    Just watched the last point play where Gronk got injured. He lined up, and as the colts player rushed through the line, he kinda threw his left elbow out to block. was a half hearted efforted to block, and never got his hand outstretched. colts player just ran through his arm really. he walks off the field, not swinging his arm, and he can be seen on the sideline wincing then as trainers look at it.

That was my take too...it was a half arsed effort from him and his left arm got caught as the rusher beat him on the inside.

I'm a little surprised his forearm broke, the way the rusher ran through i thought he would have suffered a dislocated elbow or something...it didnt look like their would be enough resistance going against the rusher to break a bone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

What's Gronk doing blocking the PAT? I know he's big and agile and the Patriot way and all, but really he shouldn't be risking injury. A bit like the question of why was Tony Romo the holder against Seattle.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

BB said that he always leaves him on the field in an article on nfl.com

matthew8 wrote: »
    What's Gronk doing blocking the PAT? I know he's big and agile and the Patriot way and all, but really he shouldn't be risking injury. A bit like the question of why was Tony Romo the holder against Seattle.

TEs and TE type players are nearly always the outside blockers on the FG team. Starters always play on the FG team in the NFL.

There is no such thing as a backup FG team, you only dress 45 players on gameday. This isn't college FB, you can't replace the 11 players on the FG team with 11 backups, its not feasible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭resdubwhite

Gronk has been a complete nightmare for a lot of teams in the past two years,

Jets included.

ON Thursday they will probably go man to man Cromartie on Lloyd. Try to double Wes, and hope Brady doesn't beat them using the rest.

Or thats what Eric the Rat says on TV.

I think a dose of Ridley, Woodhead and Ahern should be able to do the trick.

Have to admit. once Belichik started to bring the blitz last weekend the D improved 100%.

Gronk has been a complete nightmare for a lot of teams in the past two years,

Jets included.

ON Thursday they will probably go man to man Cromartie on Lloyd. Try to double Wes, and hope Brady doesn't beat them using the rest.

Or thats what Eric the Rat says on TV.

I think a dose of Ridley, Woodhead and Ahern should be able to do the trick.

Have to admit. once Belichik started to bring the blitz last weekend the D improved 100%.

Need to get a lot of pressure on Sanchez tomorrow. Last game he had to much time in the pocket.

• Advertisement

Need to get a lot of pressure on Sanchez tomorrow. Last game he had to much time in the pocket.
    Outside of Mangold and Ferguson (who is on a massive contract) thats a less than stellar O-line.
    Cunningham and Nink will have to bring something, and with Jones not practising I think Bequette will get some playing time also. Seems strange they take him in the 3rd and he is just not of sufficient talent to merit any playing time this year.

Outside of Mangold and Ferguson (who is on a massive contract) thats a less than stellar O-line.
    Cunningham and Nink will have to bring something, and with Jones not practising I think Bequette will get some playing time also. Seems strange they take him in the 3rd and he is just not of sufficient talent to merit any playing time this year.

Jones is out :mad:

Has Bequette been on the field for many snaps this year ?

only active for one game.

Handful of snaps at best.

only active for one game.

Handful of snaps at best.

Its crazy that they draft Dennard 134 picks later and he is playing so much now.
    I know different players adapt quicker etc.

Its crazy that they draft Dennard 134 picks later and he is playing so much now.
    Dennard was picked in the 7th with first rd. talent. He hit a copper in a bar and dropped down the board.

Justin Francis is on the roster in the same position and has been active for threee more games than Bequette.

As a pick it has the look of a whiff. Albeit in mid rd.

Still extremely happy with Jones, Hightower, Ebner and Dennard from the draft.

Jones is out :mad:

He went down early in the first quarter against the Colts with an ankle. Another Patriot with an ankle injury, it really is the 'in' thing this year.

Dennard was set to be a second round pick in the draft. He had an altercation with a guy as he left a bar in Lincoln, Nebraska. He was grabbed from behind and went to push the grabber away, the grabber turned out to be a police officer who he pushed in the face. Fast forward assault charges, nothing will come of it.

Jake Bequette has had very limited game time so far, but has been doing very well behind the scenes. He has become one of the practice player of the week regular winners. Which is always a good sign toward player development and the work they're putting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Brian Hoyer signed by the Steelers. Hope he gets some playing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Masked Man wrote: »
    Brian Hoyer signed by the Steelers. Hope he gets some playing time.
    I'd imagine he will go straight in as the starter if he can get up to speed with the playbook quickly. Thats for as long as Roethlisberger is out just to clarify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'd imagine he will go straight in as the starter if he can get up to speed with the playbook quickly. Thats for as long as Roethlisberger is out just to clarify.
    I think Leftwich got hurt on the td run last week too.

I'm not sure if I will stay up for the game tonight, I might catch it on game rewind tomorrow morning. I love pats jets games :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Everything I've read has said that Batch will get the start. Be great to see Hoyer do well though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement