Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,855 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Armond Armstead retired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Masked Man wrote: »
    Armond Armstead retired.

Absolutely gutted, but there was zero noise about him this offseason and you could only think something wasn't well. Hope he's okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Seems like his heart complications are ruling him out of playing.

Shame that the guy never really got the chance to make to step to the NFL, he looked like a good talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

He had a brief early appearance during the start of OTA's and then disappeared, which I found a bit worrying. But I would love to see his medical file. It's bad enough seeing a player having to retire with a football related injury. But I think it's even worse when it's non-football related. Some nice words from Bill on the matter....

"It has been a pleasure being around Armond, as he gave us everything he could to play for us. Armond worked extremely hard since joining us last February. He's had a lot of adversity personally that he's had to deal with -- unusual compared to most other players -- but he's always had a great attitude, worked hard, and really did everything we asked him to do. While it is unfortunate he will not be able to play football, Armond is an outstanding young man who has a very bright future in whatever path he chooses."

I'm sure all Pats fans wish the kid the best in his future outside of football.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Gronkowksi cleared to play. Good to see him back at this stage to get some practise in before the season starts, but as others have said already on here, it wouldnt bother me if he isnt on the field until later in the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

bruschi wrote: »
    Gronkowksi cleared to play. Good to see him back at this stage to get some practise in before the season starts, but as others have said already on here, it wouldnt bother me if he isnt on the field until later in the season.

Looking at the schedule, what games would you like him healthy for. I wouldnt mind seeing him make his mark maybe the Chiefs or Bengals game but would want him healthy for the Broncos Colts game also. ARGH when you look at it it's hard to chose which games you feel he would be most needed (if you had to pick)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

BKWDR wrote: »
    Looking at the schedule, what games would you like him healthy for. I wouldnt mind seeing him make his mark maybe the Chiefs or Bengals game but would want him healthy for the Broncos Colts game also. ARGH when you look at it it's hard to chose which games you feel he would be most needed (if you had to pick)

Playoffs

Bench him till the playoffs, and take him out if we're ahead by 10 points or more....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Really? no game time in the 16 games?

• Advertisement

BKWDR wrote: »
    Really? no game time in the 16 games?

He doesn't have to sit out 16 games to be fit for the playoffs. He just needs not to be rushed back. I didn't want to see him for the first 6 weeks of the season as a precaution.

Of course we all know what's going to happen. Gronk won't be on PUP and he'll start the season. So by week 10 he'll be pretty banged up. And by week 14, we'll probably lose him for the season. Dobson will also be out, thus removing any outside/deep threat to stretch the cover. Hey, maybe we'll even have a repeat of the last AFC title game. Where at one point, our best options for Brady to throw to will be Slater and Mulligan. God help us.

Here we go lads, time to get down to business....

74343_9897c4de-f500-4581-bd13-8288935d0bf4.jpg

I don't know about the rest of ye, but I'm still pinching myself when I see this....

56944_Untitled-1.jpg

Looking back on yesterday's camp, the play of the day was made by Kenbrell Thompkins. Who made an eye catching diving grab in the back right-hand corner of the end zone. Brady had this to say afterwards....
    Kenbrell Thompkins laid out to make a terrific catch that drew the attention of Brady after practice. “It’s exciting for a quarterback when you see a guy make those types of efforts and lay out and catch the ball like he did,” Brady said. “That’s how you get to be a great offense -- plays that maybe are a bit unexpected, if you make those, it just elevates your whole team. He's another guy that's put a lot of work in and fought really hard. It's fun to be out there with him. I have a lot of confidence in him. A lot of trust."

High praise indeed and seeing Thompkins progress, does offset the disappointment of having Dobson on the sidelines. I think Brady really appreciated the efforts of Dobson & Thomkins last season. Thrown into the deep end both kids gave their all. Where Zach Sudfeld imploded and had a meltdown, Thompkins and Dobson got better and were improving each week before the injuries caught up with them. Hopefully now, Dobson will get the green light soon to return to full training.

You can kind of see that Thompkins catch here at 31:20.

^ ^ ^

Can't see anything JaMarcus. :(

You can kind of see that Thompkins catch here at 31:20.

Just fix the youtube tag corvus :D

That vid doesn't do a lot for our secondary though. Jebus Brady connected on a lot of those passes around the 30min mark. Hope that isn't a sign of things to come

TO. wrote: »
    Just fix the youtube tag corvus :D

Cheers TO. I'll settle down to watch that once I remove the egg off my face.:o

Jebus Brady connected on a lot of those passes around the 30min mark. Hope that isn't a sign of things to come

You'll be glad to know that the defense owned Day 3 of camp and Revis Island put on a show.

• Advertisement

Going to the Pats HOF induction on Friday and then the Night Time practice in Gillette. My buddy in work invited me as its season ticket holders only. Will take pics and vids.

Revis picks off Brady. Minitron visits Revis Island.

LKIXpSZ.jpg

Going to the Pats HOF induction on Friday and then the Night Time practice in Gillette. My buddy in work invited me as its season ticket holders only. Will take pics and vids.

Delighted for ya TO. .........

20272_Jack-Nicholson.gif

Looks like we've broken that unwritten rule again re: not claiming injured players of waivers when another team wants to stash them on IR.

We've picked up 6th round rookie RB Tyler Gaffney. Kid was a ground and pound workhorse at Stanford. He was the guy who had that ridiculous 45 carries against Oregon last year. He needs season ending knee surgery, but we must like him seeing as he's not your usual training camp competition pickup. Insurance for Ridley possibly leaving in FA next year?

"Unwritten rule" is not a phrase in the BB dictionary.

I don't get why anyone would adhere to something like that anyway.
    It's a highly competitive league, I'm sure the Panthers were treating this event as a likely outcome when they made the move.

BizzyC wrote: »
    "Unwritten rule" is not a phrase in the BB dictionary.

I don't get why anyone would adhere to something like that anyway.
    It's a highly competitive league, I'm sure the Panthers were treating this event as a likely outcome when they made the move.

I absolutely agree and sure it happened back in 2009, but I can't remember the teams that were involved. I suppose it wasn't really a headline back then because our Sith Lord wasn't involved.....:pac:

This is what Bill had to say after the Ballard move in 2012....
    "First of all, there aren't any unwrittens. ... You can't negotiate a contract, release him, and then re-negotiate another contract with him that was already done in advance. I'm sure the Giants weren't doing that. So the player is on waivers, he's on waivers -- ours or anybody else's. I don't know what unwrittens you're talking about. ... Any time you put a player on waivers, you know there are 31 teams out there that can take him if they want him. We all know that. There is no secrets about that."
    http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4723798/belichick-no-unwritten-rules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Unwritten rules are for chumps.

The Panthers were being trying to be cheap, pure and simple.

What other "unwritten rules" are there in football? I can't think of any. I think the media just made up this "unwritten rule" to criticize BB.

Baseball has a ton of unwritten rules and they are horrible. These rules only come across as out dated and arrogant to people trying to modernism or out think the game.

Gaffney looks impressive

Combine numbers:

Height: 5114
    Weight: 220
    40 Yard Dash: 4.49
    20 Yard Dash: 2.57
    10 Yard Dash: 1.51
    225 Lb. Bench Reps: 15
    Vertical Jump: 36 1/2
    Broad Jump: 09'08"
    20 Yard Shuttle: 4.18
    3-Cone Drill: 6.78

Why did he drop to the 6th round?

• Advertisement

Hazys wrote: »
    Gaffney looks impressive
    Combine numbers:

Height: 5114
    Weight: 220
    40 Yard Dash: 4.49
    20 Yard Dash: 2.57
    10 Yard Dash: 1.51
    225 Lb. Bench Reps: 15
    Vertical Jump: 36 1/2
    Broad Jump: 09'08"
    20 Yard Shuttle: 4.18
    3-Cone Drill: 6.78

Why did he drop to the 6th round?

His lack of burst speed and being able to change direction through the gaps. Most if not all of the draft scouts said he lacked that extra edge to get through gaps and accelerate or change lanes. Add that to the fact draft stock for backs is generally poor anyways he was always going to fall.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement