Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Divisional Playoffs Weekend Thread

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

fisgon wrote: »
    Am I the only one who takes as much pleasure from seeing the Pats lose as my own team (Packers) win?

Here, I can give credit where credit's due and admit that the Jets deserved it last night, and I'm all for understanding the joys of seeing a disliked team lose.

But liking it as much as seeing your own team win? That's absolutely pathetic. I would hope for your credibility as a fan that you were just being melodramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

eagle eye wrote: »

So if you like to see the Jets who trash talk win thats fine. If you like to see players who go and give one and two fingers salutes to Patriots's fans after they have just beaten their team in the playoffs do well thats fine. Don't expect me to have any sympathy for you where you're team has a bad day at the office though.

I am indifferent to the Jets, but would take them and all their talk over Belichick's dourness and humourlessness any day of the week. His personality has transmitted itself to the team, you just have to look at the fact that he sat Welker at the start of last night's game, just for his clever and witty jibe at Rex during his press conference. He showed a bit of imagination and was put in his place. Belichick is of course one of the greatest coaches in the history of the game, and it's understandable why Pats fans support him, but he is a peculiarly joyless individual and sucks all the fun out of it. Ryan, on the other hand, is witty, funny, entertaining, talks too much but is at least a likeable individual.

As for the Pats fans, I think that so much success in such a short space of time at the beginning of the decade creates a certain sense of expectation and even entitlement, which doesn't sit well with the relative lack of success since, and makes it hard to cope with. Hence the exaggerated estimation of the quality of the Patriots. It also creates the false idea that the whole universe is as fascinated with the New England Patriots as Pats fans are, and this, believe me, is not at all true.

It also creates the false idea that the whole universe is as fascinated with the New England Patriots as Pats fans are, and this, believe me, is not at all true.

You say all this having earlier said that you enjoy seeing the Patriots lose the same amount as you enjoy seeing your own team win. Just think about that. The players you watch every week, who entertain you every season, the players you've watched from the NFL combine through draft day through rookie season to now. You've one of the most excited and talented young QBs in the league in Aaron Rodgers. You've got an excellent playmaker in Greg Jennings who just had a huge breakout year. You've got one of the most freakishly athletic tight ends in the league in Jermichael Finley. You've got one of the most feared pass rushers in Clay Matthews, and perhaps the best cornerback tandem in Williams and Woodson. And yet despite them steamrolling the Falcons on their own turf, something that has not happened in years by any team, you're saying you were equally as happy to see the Patriots lose the Jets?

I bet you'll be celebrating the Superbowl like it's something you've longed for and craved if the Packers win it. It wont mean half as much to you though as it does to any other Packers fan on here, because you would have equally enjoyed seeing the Patriots lose in the Superbowl if that had happened either.

The universe may not be fascinated with the Patriots, but it appears you are. So much so, that you are as fascinated with them as you are your beloved Packers.

That's pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    I bet you'll be celebrating the Superbowl like it's something you've longed for and craved if the Packers win it. It wont mean half as much to you though as it does to any other Packers fan on here, because you would have equally enjoyed seeing the Patriots lose in the Superbowl if that had happened either.

Excuse me but this is the year of the bears! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

So since Rex took over as head coach,the Jets and Pats have the same amount of regular season wins and the Jets have 4 playoff wins to the Pats none.

Not bad for a so called thrash talking buffon.

Loved Bart Scott's interview after the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Just finshed working my way through my Sky+'d divisional games about ten minutes ago, those Saturday games always seem to be an impossibility to watch live for me and then it throws of the Sunday games because I don't want to watch them first and risk finding out indirectly who won the previous day's games.

Ravens/Steelers was the perhaps the most out-and-out exciting game and Rodgers showed is perhaps the most well-rounded QB in the league but the Jets/Patriots game was the most enjoyable if only for some utterly special defensive play from the Jets. The Jets have spent most of the season riding their luck, being more pretenders than contenders, but when it really counted they overcame the Patriots.

Sanchez is still such a fluid player, he was their biggest impendement in Indianapolis and he was great against the Patriots this week. He can't afford an off-day against the Steelers and their next to unbreakable run defence or no amount of inspired defence is going to carrying them to the Superbowl.

I'll readily admit I was rooting for the Jets to pull off the upset (and honestly, as an neutral it's hard to ever pick Belichick's brand of dourness over Ryan's fun and engaging personality) but I had doubts about whether they or any team could match-up against the Patriots at home. They certainly answered that question and it another page to that rivalry, whatever else.

Oh, and Kevin Cadle on Arge Crumpler's dropped TD pass was pure comedy gold!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

raven136 wrote: »
    So since Rex took over as head coach,the Jets and Pats have the same amount of regular season wins and the Jets have 4 playoff wins to the Pats none.

Not bad for a so called thrash talking buffon.

Loved Bart Scott's interview after the game.

Rex has one on them there for sure. doing it when it counts matters.

as for Scott, I thought it was a ridiculous interview to be honest. he started getting nearly violently angry saying the media disrespected their defence, and they are ranked third and the patriots are 25th. it was a ridicuolous comment, I cant say I saw anywhere, that anyone said the Patriots defence was better. no where. sure it was obvious the patriots defence is worse, by stats and by what is seen on the field. it just seemed he was trash talking for the sake of it. the ultimate chip on the shoulder, and this after winning.

he wont be happy this week anyway playing the steelers, seeing as their defence is ranked better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

bruschi wrote: »
    Rex has one on them there for sure. doing it when it counts matters.

TBH the game in December was the biggest game of the regular season and Bill got one over him there so i think thats a mute point.

as for Scott, I thought it was a ridiculous interview to be honest. he started getting nearly violently angry saying the media disrespected their defence, and they are ranked third and the patriots are 25th. it was a ridicuolous comment, I cant say I saw anywhere, that anyone said the Patriots defence was better. no where. sure it was obvious the patriots defence is worse, by stats and by what is seen on the field. it just seemed he was trash talking for the sake of it. the ultimate chip on the shoulder, and this after winning.

he wont be happy this week anyway playing the steelers, seeing as their defence is ranked better.

Scott's interview was idiotic, it made no sense whatsoever. He also complained in another interview after the game that it was unfair that Wes Welker thrash talked against the Jets :rolleyes:

With things some football players, say you really about the extent of damage concussions are doing to players :p

I think it highlghts how inflamed the rivalry is at the moment, more than anything else. Scott came across as a decent guy in the Hard Knocks series so I'd guess he was completely wound up for the game.

Had to laugh at a comment on twitter after Scott said Welker's days of pulling on a jersey were numbered.

"Bart Scott recorded 1 sack all season, is 30 years old and is due a $14 million bonus on his contract. Whose days are numbered now?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Hazys wrote: »
    Scott's interview was idiotic, it made no sense whatsoever. He also complained in another interview after the game that it was unfair that Wes Welker thrash talked against the Jets :rolleyes:

I have no problem with what Scott said, or his interview, and it seems that it's mainly Pats fans who do. The guy was emotional, they had just pulled off one of the upsets of the season, won a game no-one expected them to win, he was interviewed just after the game. I know that Belichick is not one for showing emotion, but the Jets do, and that's what makes them a team worth watching.

Of course the Jets have used imagined slights and disrespect as a motivational tool, something the Munster rugby team know all about, they exaggerate criticism so as to fire them up. You use what you can, and Rex Ryan did it perfectly, he got to the Patriots. It looks like, even after the game, even after beating them, the Jets are still getting to the Pats.

I have no problem with what Scott said, or his interview, and it seems that it's mainly Pats fans who do. The guy was emotional, they had just pulled off one of the upsets of the season, won a game no-one expected them to win, he was interviewed just after the game. I know that Belichick is not one for showing emotion, but the Jets do, and that's what makes them a team worth watching.

Of course the Jets have used imagined slights and disrespect as a motivational tool, something the Munster rugby team know all about, they exaggerate criticism so as to fire them up. You use what you can, and Rex Ryan did it perfectly, he got to the Patriots. It looks like, even after the game, even after beating them, the Jets are still getting to the Pats.

to be honest, it didnt bother me at all. I saw it, thought he was an idiot and it looked out of place with all the other comments the Jets players had and I responded to someone on here who said he loved his interview, its not as if it was the first thing in my mind was to diss him or anything, and I wouldnt ahve even commented on it had it not been mentioned.

if getting angry after a great win and talking nonsense is emotional then I'd hate to see him after a superbowl if he won one!

bruschi wrote: »
    to be honest, it didnt bother me at all. I saw it, thought he was an idiot and it looked out of place with all the other comments the Jets players had and I responded to someone on here who said he loved his interview, its not as if it was the first thing in my mind was to diss him or anything, and I wouldnt ahve even commented on it had it not been mentioned.

if getting angry after a great win and talking nonsense is emotional then I'd hate to see him after a superbowl if he won one!

There's a duality that needs to be pointed out; you can't have as heated rivalry as this one without copious amounts of emotion. It means something more to the players to win the game than it would if they were facing any other team. Hence Edwards' impressive backflips, hence a team zooming around Foxboro like imaginary planes and hence Scott's interview. The Jets philosophy seems to be one of exuberance and raw passion, and whatever else, it works for them.

It's hidden away most times but in all team sports that passion and raw agression is there and Scott just happened to show it to the cameras. It leaked out. No more and no less than that.

It doesn't make him better in my eyes for it, but it doesn't irrevocably harm how I perceive him either.

Syferus wrote: »
    There's a duality that needs to be pointed out; you can't have as heated rivalry as this one without copious amounts of emotion. It means something more to the players to win the game than it would if they were facing any other team. Hence Edwards' impressive backflips, hence a team zooming around Foxboro like imaginary planes and hence Scott's interview. The Jets philosophy seems to be one of exuberance and raw passion, and whatever else, it works for them.

It's hidden away most times but in all team sports that passion and raw agression is there and Scott just happened to show it to the cameras. It leaked out. No more and no less than that.

It doesn't make him better in my eyes for it, but it doesn't irrevocably harm how I perceive him either.

yeah true. I thought he was a knob before the game, and I dont think any different after :pac:

the backflips and planes are part and parcel of excitement in winning, but the fingers and anger are odd, IMO. If I win a game, I'm happy, not angry. but everyone takes winning different I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I dont really care about what he said, all i pointed out was that it made no sense and was idiotic, even if it was just after the game.

As for your comparison of Munster to the Jets in terms of motivation, i have no idea where you get that from? There is very little comparison between the two teams. Compare Bart Scott's interivew straight after the game to O'Gara's interview straight after a game where he supposedly had been mocking English rugby the week before:

O'Gara's interview is one of my favourite sport's interviews, he was cool, calm and collected after a very tight big H Cup game. I admire an athlete who plays a physical game but still is respectful to his opponents and a sportsman.

This is my opinion you can disagree with it if you like but i think the Jets brought the game down a couple levels in terms of integrity and sportsmanship with the trashtalking this week. Calling people assholes and saying people's days are numbered is not acceptable (for the record i dont agree with Wes' interview even tho its funny as hell) and i'm glad its struck a nerve with the NFL and Rodger Goodell and what the trash talking is doing for the reputation of the NFL.

At the end of the day the trash talking is just that, trash. People can say now "well the Jets trash talked and the Pats didnt, and the Jets won, so therefore trash talking must have worked", trash talking didnt put the ball in the endzone, the game was won on Rex Ryan's gameplan to take away the middle receivers from Tom Brady and the Pat's receivers not being able to get seperation on the outside. I admire Rex Ryan's gameplan but i dont admire his thrash talking.

Advertisement