Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Divisional Playoffs Weekend Thread

Options
  • 13-01-2011 5:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

135px-Baltimore_Ravens_helmet_rightface.png135px-Pittsburgh_Steelers_helmet_rightface.png

Baltimore Ravens @ Pittsburgh Steelers
    Saturday 15th January
    4:30pm ET / 9:30pm Irish Time
    Sky Sports / Streams

135px-Green_Bay_Packers_helmet_rightface.svg.png135px-Atlanta_Falcons_helmet_rightface.png

Green Bay Packers @ Atlanta Falcons
    Saturday 15th January
    8:00pm ET / 1:00am Irish Time
    Sky Sports / Streams

135px-Seattle_Seahawks_helmet_rightface.png135px-Chicago_Bears_helmet_rightface.png

Seattle Seahawks @ Chicago Bears
    Sunday 16th January
    1:00pm ET / 6:00pm Irish Time
    Sky Sports / Streams

135px-New_York_Jets_helmet_rightface.png135px-New_England_Patriots_helmet_rightface.png

New York Jets @ New England Patriots
    Sunday 16th January
    4:300pm ET / 9:30pm Irish Time
    Sky Sports / Streams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Steelers
    Falcons
    Bears
    Tom Brady

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Steelers -3
    Packers +2.5
    Seahawks +10
    Patriots -8.5

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Ravens
    Packers
    Seahawks :cool:
    Patriots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Frisbee wrote: »
    Steelers
    Falcons
    Bears
    Tom Brady
    QFT

It's going to be yet another AFC Superbowl champ anyway. Steelers and Pats seem to have quite the dynasty between them in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

Pats
    Ravens
    BEARS :)
    Packers :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Pats
    Ravens
    BEARS :)
    Packers :mad:

Pats (hopefully by 40+points to shut Rex up for a few months.
    Steelers (probably 6-3 or something similar :))

Bears (though I think it will be close enough)

Packers.. seem to be on a bit of a roll, but that game could go either way and is the one I'm most looking forward to...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭davetherave

First time I've put up my guesses. Be gentle :o
    I'm going with the four home teams here.

Sea @ Chi: Lighting won't strike twice for the hawks, and if it does then they are birds, hopefully they will get hit with the strike while Matt Forte shows them the business end of his 5.9 yards a carry. Could be setting ourselves up for a home game NFC championship as long as they Jay they Jay doesn't screw up.

The Atl-GB game:
    Three options here
    1)GB wins and then we hammer the bejasus out of them in the conference game. :)
    2) Falcons win. (Probable )
    3) They win, and we lose to them in the championship. :(

Greenbay have won two win-or-your-out games in a row, but the Falcons will beat them.

Jets-Pats:

My belief is that until the timer reads 4Q 00:00 and the scoreboard says that they have lost, then the patriots won't lose.

Ravens - Steelers:
    The magic 8 ball says Pittsburgh. This will be a meaningless win, however as the winner will have to face NE in the next round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

I can't see the Falcons losing to GB in the Dome. My heart says the Jets to win and go on to the bowl, but my head say Patriots.

Whatever the outcome gonna be some quality games. The seahawks could win this game ! if they limit the bears turnovers this game could be very close. Another big game needed from Hasselback and Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭49ers fan

Steelers
    Packers
    Bears
    Pats

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El Nino09

49ers fan wrote: »
    Steelers
    Packers
    Bears
    Pats

+ 1
    You cant beat the playoffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,132 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Ravens @ Steelers: As hard fought a play-off game as you are likely to see, the Steelers have homefield advantage, and have few weaknesses with lots of experience. Steelers by a whisker.

Packers @ Falcons: Another hard fought game, with neither showing many weaknesses, bar the Packers' special teams. Very tight last time out, but the Packers sudden discovery of a running game may be enough to tip things in their favour. Packers by a whisker.

Seahawks @ Bears: Could be the snowbowl, with snow a possibility for Chicago on Sunday. Gametime temps could be 10 degrees lower than last week. Seattle may be emotionally flat and the Bears will be lying in wait, hoping to show October's loss to the 'Hawks was an aberration. Bears in a blowout.

Jets @ Patriots: We know what happened the last time out, but earlier in the season the Jets won by 14. It's not cut and dried, and the Patriots would do well to concentrate on the Jets, rather than Dallas. If the Jets can slow Brady and his receivers, and if Sanchez can have a big game, and if Tomlinson and Greene can run hard and if Folk doesn't miss any opportunities...Hmmm, a lot of ifs. Patriots by 2 ifs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Seahawks @ Bears: Could be the snowbowl, with snow a possibility for Chicago on Sunday. Gametime temps could be 10 degrees lower than last week. Seattle may be emotionally flat and the Bears will be lying in wait, hoping to show October's loss to the 'Hawks was an aberration. Bears in a blowout.

I'm staying with your earlier long shot prediction:
    Pherekydes wrote: »
    Hilarious scenario: Seattle beats the Rams, hosts and beats the Saints, then shocks the Bears...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Ravens
    Falcons
    Bears
    Jets (Hopefully)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr.Slurm

Ravens
    Falcons
    Bears
    Patriots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Ravens (in a very close one)
    Falcons (in a close one)
    Seahawks (in a close one)
    Patriots (i'm hoping for a complete and utter annihilation of the Jets way worse than 45-3, but it will be a close one)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Got to love the games this weekend. Going to stick with the Packers against the Falcons despite the Falcons home record. GB stepped it up last week in a major way and I think the extra game against the Eagles will have done them the world of good.

Also going for Patriots to have a comfortable enough win against the Jets; Steelers to beat Ravens and the Bears to have enough to beat Seattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Ravens
    packers
    bears
    prat-riots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 patriot83

Steelers (Ravens offense has been spluttering the last while and no deep threat. Steelers can shut down Rice and then I would always take Roethliesberger and Wallace over Flacco and Boldin)

Falcons (coin-flip - Falcons are lethal at home, do not overlook Matty Ice's home record in the dome, but Packers if they get a similar output from Starks could easily do the business. Rodgers is a more capable QB, but it will be how well either team runs it will determine the game)

Bears (the Hawks are a great Cinderella story, but I don't see (notwithstanding them winning at Soldier Field in regular season) them repeating - not least I don't see Hasslebeck having two such great games in a row. Only thing that would swing it is if the Hawks can pile through the Bears OL and cause some turnovers)

Patriots (see the user name....kind of biased.....want this one so badly and by two TD's at least, esp with some cash on Pats (-8.0) at 10/11)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Saturday
    Ravens @ Steelers

The stats for this one says it all. In the last 8(?) games each team has scored 67 points and the same amount of TD's & FG's. This one goes into overtime and I can't decide from there. But I have to pick my Ravens

Packers @ Falcons
    The Pack have a lot of momentum going into this game, but I don't think it's enough to beat Matty Ice at the Geogia Dome where he is practically unbeatable. The Falcons have won their fair share of tight games this year and will do it again. Gonzales to catch the winning TD in the last seconds.
    Pick: Falcons

Sunday
    Seahawks @ Bears

After the Seahawks unbelievable win last weekend can they repeat? This might sound like wagon jumping here, but I think they can. They know what the Bears are about, having beaten them once already this season. And the Bears have Cutler who is liable to do anything from the sublime to the ridiculous. He is the reason the Bears lose this game and will turnover the ball too many times.
    Pick: Seahawks

Jets @ Patriots

I don't think anything needs to be said about this as both teams, the Jets especially are saying enough. I see a repeat of the Pats winning but not by as much this time.
    Pick: Patriots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

The smart money says...
    Steelers
    Falcons
    Bears
    Pats

But as long as I can remember the playoffs have not gone according to plan. There is always at least one upset.

I reckon the Patriots are due for rude awakening, at some stage. By rights the Jets shouldn't be within a TD of them, but they have a knack of winning playoff games on the road. If I was a Pats fan i would try to temper my confidence this week, could be a shock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Ravens over Steelers. They are due a PO win over Pitt. They are very motivated this year to go the whole way. I think they might.

Packers over Falcons. Mainly because of their defense.

Bears over Seahawks. The Bears are a very different team in contrast to week 6. The offense has been getting balanced and better all year.

Pats over Jets. The only way the Jets win this is if Sanchez plays his best game ever IMO. He isn't accurate enough tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

themont85 wrote: »
    Pats over Jets. The only way the Jets win this is if Sanchez plays his best game ever IMO. He isn't accurate enough tbh.

Obviously beating the Patriots and Brady at Gillette is a huge ask but I do believe we can do it if we run the ball well and keep the TE's quiet.

Sanchez will need to obviously not give away too many turnovers but running the ball down their necks is where I see us having a chance.

Hillis ran for 184 yds a few months and when Greenbay went close they had like 100 yds rushing.

On the downside they can run the ball very well too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Ravens
    Packers
    Bears
    Patriots

I thought this was pretty funny from the NY Post

http://twitpic.com/3pv0c7

• Registered Users Posts: 20,238 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Ravens
    Packers
    Bears
    Patriots

I thought this was pretty funny from the NY Post

http://twitpic.com/3pv0c7

haha , patriot death star !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I think the Jets have a decent shot against the Pats.

On offense, the Jets have to establish a strong running game early on as the pass game wont win it for them. If they can be dangerous in the running game it will open the play action pass for Sanchez, making his life a whole lot easier. More importantly if they can eat up the clock by running it, it keeps Brady off the field. So from the Pats perspective, stop the run (overcommit to stopping the run if you need to) and put the game in Sanchez's hands.

On defense, the Jets will look to try and confuse Brady at the line of scrimmage, by having players faking blitzs, coverage packages and a lot of movement, this worked for the Browns and most recently for the Packers. Mangini said in an interview this week that the motto for the week before they played Brady was "if you're not faking it to Tom, your not trying". Brady is excellant when he can read the defense and pick it apart before the play has even started. So the Patriots themsleves will need to establish the run to counter act and tame the random blitzing. A couple of 1st downs running will cut the Jets D's confidence down especailly in a very hostile crowd, then Brady can go back to being Brady.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,689 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Falcons

Bears

Pats

Ravens

2-2 in the playoffs so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Quick Question.

Why are the Jets/Seahawks playing Sunday (giving them 8 days rest) whilst the Pack/Ravens are on Saturday (just 6 days rest)? I thought it might be seeding but the Ravens are higher than the Jets so that doesn't add up. Seems a bit unfair on the Pack/Ravens tbh. Must be the television companies but it makes it even harder for those two teams to compete away from home against teams with a bye week imo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Better have 6 days rest than 6 months...

In other words I don't know...I guess the times of the games are determined before they know which teams are in them, eg Atlanta play whoever the lowest seed is regardless of when they played their previous game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Ravens, Packers, Bears and Patriots for me. But saying that, I wouldn't be that surprised if none of these teams go through!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭minstrel_boy

Ravens
    Packers
    Bears
    Jets

Advertisement