Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Divisional Playoffs Weekend Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

As good as Pats have been all season the lack of a true number WR cost them I think. With some many draft picks If I was Brady I'd be begging Bellicheck to either trade up for AJ or go after Vincent Jackson through free agency. Maybe trade some of those picks for experienced defensive players as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

spillit67 wrote: »
    You are so bereft of any craic it's embarrassing.

In fairness, my head was fried a week ago, and I wouldn't have been up for too much slagging.

I just had to get Archie back, cos it p!ssed me off so much at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭spillit67

davyjose wrote: »
    In fairness, my head was fried a week ago, and I wouldn't have been up for too much slagging.

I just had to get Archie back, cos it p!ssed me off so much at the time!

Yeah that's fair enough. It's just he's always like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,866 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

2003 season. In Indy. Colts driving for the win. Ty Law and Willie McGinist go down to slow the Colts down. McG comes straight back in after going down. They admit to doing it. 'Situational football'.
    I don't ever remember anybody except the Colts saying it was intentionally stopping the clock but they were going on about it for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

flip-o.gif

• Advertisement

Out of beer = off to bed.

What chances for a Chicago super Bowl win? I can't really stand any of the other teams left in it.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't ever remember anybody except the Colts saying it was intentionally stopping the clock but they were going on about it for a long time.

Of course you don't. No doubt you were aghast at the time though with your team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

i honestly thought it was gonna be 4-1 this year, so i can take that.

Still, I can wait ;)

MS Paint bragging rights are all I have tonight, let me have it, please....

:o

Of course you don't. No doubt you were aghast at the time though with your team.
    No because they don't do it all the time so I'm willing to believe that he was hurt. The Jets have been doing this all season long. Goodnight I'm outta here.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭marty2002

BWAHAHAHAHA GET THE **** IN! PATS LOSE!

Yes i had money on the jets..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69980139&postcount=417
    (paybacks a bitch aint it?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭portumnadaz

jabbatheryanandsanchez.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

sickens me that ill be cheering on the Steelers in the championship game

Hope Green Bay can go on and win it now, I hate them less then the rest and have a soft spot for Rodgers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

jabbatheryanandsanchez.jpg

Haha that disgustingly hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,215 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I fell asleep after the first Q last night after the adrenaline from the bears win wore off. Disappointed to hear the Jets won. I fúcking hate that team and coach.

To do list:

Beat the packers at Soldier Field and hoist papa bears trophy.(I'll probably cry if they lift it in our stadium).
    Beat the Jets in the homodome in front of Jerry Jones and hoist the Lombardi.

(I also hate the cowboys).

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    the homodome

:confused::confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

the morning after and it still doesnt feel any better. probably coz I slept feck all as I was wired going to bed and head was wide awake for ages after the game.

at the end of it all, the Jets were the better side. Pure and simple. Fair play to them, and in fairness to ryan, his mouthing off this week worked. he did what he needed to do, and came up with the goods. he would have looked like the biggest clown had they lost, but in fiarness, he had the confidence to back up the performance.

doesnt mean I am not sick about it, or still hate them!

as for the Patriots, I wasnt expecting such a good regular season. and with Moss being traded at the start, I wasnt even sure if playoffs would be in line with such a young squad and a poor WR corps and players going down with injuries. People talk of other sides who were decimated with injuries, but the patriots had 14 players on IR, granted not all starters, but some were key players. the squad isnt deep enough yet to cover that. this team I had thought of as a stepping stone, a building block. a superbowl would have been great, and to be honest, was there for grabs, but they just didnt perform when it was needed. too many mistakes, and unpatriots like football. turnovers, stupid after the play penalties, and really really bad play calling.

I'm optomistic for next year anyway, just hope we dont stack up draft picks again. if we draft well with the amount of picks we have, then next year should be even better.

and looking forward to a rematch with the Jets! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Sprouts

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

Ben Roethlisberger -- See you next week.

I still can't believe that last night, went to bed so late and awake again so early, thank you Jets :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    (I also hate the cowboys).

That's one thing we can definitely agree on. That's one team us true New Yorkers truly hate.

I don't care much for the Jet's. We don't play each other enough to hate each other, but I suppose it's nice to see some sort of NY team do well.

I hope the Jets can go on and win now. I have a general dislike for New Englanders too. Especially after the Spygate fiasco, even though it didn't involve my team. Perhaps that's just Knicks-Celtics tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Not to blow my own trumpet but.....from last Thurs...
    fisgon wrote: »
    I reckon the Patriots are due for rude awakening, at some stage. By rights the Jets shouldn't be within a TD of them, but they have a knack of winning playoff games on the road. If I was a Pats fan i would try to temper my confidence this week, could be a shock.

Am I the only one who takes as much pleasure from seeing the Pats lose as my own team (Packers) win? It's something about their arrogance, Belichick's dourness, but also the supreme over-confidence and self-obssession of a lot of their fans. In fairness, there has been some efforts at giving the Jets their due on this thread, mixed in with the usual bitterness and sore losing. I laughed watching that game last night, hilarious to see the 'invincible' beaten.

Of course they wouldn't be worth hating if they weren't any good. And the Jets made them look human for almost the first time this year. Credit to them, they played a hell of a game, and have thrown this year's SB wide open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

From the MVP thread....
    Stev_o wrote: »
    Vick for me some of his performances this year have been truly amazing while Brady is having a near perfect season i think he's gotten a easy ride for the most part. The only time he was under genuine pressure was the GB game and had GB had Rogers they probably would of lost that game.

How many sacks has Brady received in the lead up to the Packers game? Suddenly Pats were going 3 and out after 3 and long.

I said before that their protection of Brady hadn't been truly tested and when it was Brady had a average game against GB.

I still stand by what i said he got a easy ride of the regular season.

From the MVP thread....

I said before that their protection of Brady hadn't been truly tested and when it was Brady had a average game against GB.

And yet they beat the Steelers, Jets, Packers and Bears who are the four teams remaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

didn't the Jets beat NE 28-14 in the regular season?Sure I saw that flash up last night.Oh,never mind --the 45-3 win few weeks ago

great win and very happy as I had a bet on them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

didn't the Jets beat NE 28-14 in the regular season?Sure I saw that flash up last night.Oh,never mind --the 45-3 win few weeks ago

great win and very happy as I had a bet on them.

yeah they play twice in a season. Patriots beat them 45-3 in the second game.

kryogen wrote: »
    sickens me that ill be cheering on the Steelers in the championship game

Hope Green Bay can go on and win it now, I hate them less then the rest and have a soft spot for Rodgers

That's how I feel about Chicago. been to the city enough times to have a soft spot.

Would be happy enough with a Green bay win, but I feel the favre era there has ended too smoothly, which (admittedly unfairly) is the reason I don't want Rodgers to succeed. Would I take it over Roethlisberger getting his third ring? Fcuk yeah. Can't see them beat the Jets though, not after last night.

From the MVP thread....

Edit: Sorry, read your point wrong. i agree, I think Brady was the beneficiary this season of his O-line. Surprised how human he looked when it was threatened.

What also surprised me at times was Brady's poor movement when the pocket did start to crumble.

fisgon wrote: »
    Not to blow my own trumpet but.....from last Thurs...

Am I the only one who takes as much pleasure from seeing the Pats lose as my own team (Packers) win? It's something about their arrogance, Belichick's dourness, but also the supreme over-confidence and self-obssession of a lot of their fans. In fairness, there has been some efforts at giving the Jets their due on this thread, mixed in with the usual bitterness and sore losing. I laughed watching that game last night, hilarious to see the 'invincible' beaten.

Of course they wouldn't be worth hating if they weren't any good. And the Jets made them look human for almost the first time this year. Credit to them, they played a hell of a game, and have thrown this year's SB wide open.
    I really don't get how a Packers' fan would get pleasure from seeing the Patriots lose. I mean the Packers had their era of dominance in the NFL, if anything I'd expect Packers' fans to appreciate how hard it is to stay in contention year in, year out. And you guys beat us in a Superbowl too.

I'd love to know where you come up with the arrogance thing as regards the team. Very few talk to the media at all and those that do really don't have much to say. Just look at Welker when he gave it to the Jets, he was benched to start the game and I'd say if it wasn't such an important game he would have been benched for a whole game.

As for over-confidence I don't get how you think that. Most of us back our team, we know we will be in contention because thats the way its been for 10/11 seasons now. As long as we have Brady and Belichick we expect to be in contention. I don't think there is anything deluded or arrogant about thinking that as we have not had a losing season since the start of the new millenium. We do realise how lucky we are to have both those guys at the same time.

Fact of the matter is that Belichick has spent the last two years rebuilding while winning the division both years. We hugely appreciate whats been going on in New England since he took over and we all want it to continue as long as possible.

For some of us who have been around a long time, well we seen the lean years. From 1989 through '93 we had 5 consecutive losing seasons which included 1-15 and 2-14 seasons. Hell the year after the 2-14 season we were 1-11 before we won the last four games of the season.

As I said last night, its not too difficult to get over things these days because we pretty much know there is likely is always a really good chance that we do something next season. Its great being a Patriots' fan right now. The way it must have felt to be a Packers' fan back in the 60s and again during the Favre era.

So if you like to see the Jets who trash talk win thats fine. If you like to see players who go and give one and two fingers salutes to Patriots's fans after they have just beaten their team in the playoffs do well thats fine. Don't expect me to have any sympathy for you where you're team has a bad day at the office though.

Edit: Sorry, read your point wrong. i agree, I think Brady was the beneficiary this season of his O-line. Surprised how human he looked when it was threatened.

What also surprised me at times was Brady's poor movement when the pocket did start to crumble.
    Brady is great in the pocket, he kept giving himself more time than he should have gotten last night, its just that even then nobody was open. He didn't have a good line either all year, but we mixed up the plays a lot all season and ran the ball more than we have for a long time. That kept defenses from blitzing all the time.

I'm still trying to understand why we went away from the running game last night after two drives. The first two drives were relatively successful ones. We only ended up with 3 points but there was the interception on one of them and the second time a dropped ball followed by a false start penalty pretty much put an end to it.
    After those two drives though we went to the air and I'm still trying to understand why. I kept saying we have to go back to screens and running the ball. And low and behold in the fourth quarter we go back to a time consuming drive full of screens and running plays and it was successful.

Connolly couldn't hold his blocks tonight and nearly every snap Ellis was breaking through. What summed it up was how long it was taking Brady to throw the ball. There's having time with the ball and then there's you got make a throw and he seemed very reluctant to make that quick throw.

Was Hernadez playing btw?

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Brady is great in the pocket, he kept giving himself more time than he should have gotten last night, its just that even then nobody was open. He didn't have a good line either all year, but we mixed up the plays a lot all season and ran the ball more than we have for a long time. That kept defenses from blitzing all the time.

I'm still trying to understand why we went away from the running game last night after two drives. The first two drives were relatively successful ones. We only ended up with 3 points but there was the interception on one of them and the second time a dropped ball followed by a false start penalty pretty much put an end to it.
    After those two drives though we went to the air and I'm still trying to understand why. I kept saying we have to go back to screens and running the ball. And low and behold in the fourth quarter we go back to a time consuming drive full of screens and running plays and it was successful.

There seemed to be a reluctance to calm things down and go for easy plays throughout the game.

Pats live of getting the ball out of Brady's hands as quick as possible and catching the defence napping but it seemed the longer he held the ball the better the coverage started getting.

Advertisement