Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you neat and well groomed all the time.

Options
2»

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm clean, but can be quite messy.

I tidy my house when I'm unhappy or when there is something on my mind, so the messier it is, the happier I am. If its a showhome, then I'm usually upset over something.

Currently its organised chaos :p

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Never ever ever leave the house without mascara, and usually have eyeliner on too.
    Painted face in winter, lightly use concealer in Summer.
    Have mad crazy curly hair so sometimes it looks beautiful, other times i look like Kizzy.
    Dresses / Cardi's / Work trousers always hung up
    Tops Shorts etc always folded.
    Underwear from Pennys.. ashamed to say that i am the number one purchaser of 5 pack briefs! HATE HATE HATE thongs! Can just about do french knickers at a push. And Kiwi's cant make decent underwear, hense the Pennys.

I try to look presentable always, rarely out in hoody and trackie clothing.

And, believe it or not, started to take a lot more pride in my appearance since i started backpacking! Thought it ususally went the other way :D

SM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

For work hair and make up everyday without fail! Always look smart in work! I kinda have to dealing with the public!

When I'm not working I still have hair and make up done but would dress down alot!!

My room is a tip though!! Clothes are always ironed but thrown on a chair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I like to look groomed and tidy, but it doesn't equate to a face of makeup or painted nails. I dress neatly and avoid all sweatshirty/sportsweary type clothes like the plague (except obviously when I'm out for a run or playing sport). I hate runners as shoes, they're only for running in.

I'm very neat, tidy and clean. I wear flat pumps and simple clothes when I want to be comfy, but never oversized sweaters or hoodies.

Its just as easy to be comfortable when you're dressed nicely as it is to be when you're not.:) My wardrobes are very organised, but I own a lot less clothes than most girls. I store like with like, but I don't colour group. I prefer to have fewer, really good things, than a lot of nondescript cheaper stuff. When I buy something, its usually something I've planned to buy for a while.

I wear makeup when I go out for the evening, otherwise its kept to a bare minimum. Daily it would just be mascara and lipgloss, but when I go out it would still be very understated.

I wear heels on occasion but low or flat shoes during the day. I think girls in enormous heels (that they can't manage) look a little foolish, and uncomfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

In the basic sense, yes. Hair always brushed, nails filed and never allowed to get long, clothes ironed/hung up, shoes polished, lip balm/hand cream to prevent chapping - run-of-the-mill stuff. But a full face of make-up daily, nails never unpainted, everything matching to a T, the full complement of co-ordinated accessories, etc - nah... Occasionally elements of the above, sure, but all of it on a daily basis would be just exhausting.
    I prefer to look different on a night out to how I look every day at work anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

mariaalice wrote: »
    I have a friend in work who always come to work perfectly made up, hair straightened she is always well groomed...when she was showing me around her apartment one evening i realized she hangs up all her clothes jean everything... she said to me the only thing i fold and put away is my underwear everything else is ironed, put on a hanger and hung up.

On a flight during the summer i was siting beside a woman who was very large she looked amazing however because she was very groomed nails done, makeup immaculate clothes..

I would love to be like that but it would take me hours and i would be exhausted i couldn't get up two hours before work just to wash and straighten my hair yet some women do that....i would love to have a tidy hand bag instead of the dumping ground of old pen and supermarket receipts that my bag is.

So what i am wondering is being well groomed and neat something your are born with and for the rest of us its always going to be a struggle.

Very clean and love nice smelling showergels, shampoos and bodycreams etc., but groomed? No.
    I don't think I have ever looked immaculately groomed in my life[maybe as a bridesmaid at my sister's wedding, but even then I had to take of my heels in the evening]
    Even in school, you can guarantee I would be the one who's hem on uniform skirt would come loose,
    I was the one who would loose a button on my jacket,
    I was the one who's ponytail or bun would unravel and look messy,
    I was the one who would inevitably spill overly fizzy coke or some mayo on myself at lunch,
    I was the one who would always get a ladder in her tights.
    You get the picture....

I'm not sure if it's clumsiness or what, but I always have something slightly scruffy looking going on with me?!:pac:
    [I don't look a mess or anything, but there is always something small out of place like my hair, or a lace open in my shoes etc]

I would like to look immaculately groomed occasionally, but in fairness I just don't put in the effort I suppose. I very rarely iron anything, just get the creases out in the dryer, I just let my hair dry naturally, brush it then tie it quickly back in some way,my room is normally messy but when I do tidy it I have a whole system that is very VERY organised-never lasts long though!:P

I do make an effort with hair and makeup if I'm going out for the night, but I could probably do with making more effort on a daily basis.
    When I think of perfectly groomed I think of Marcia Cross from DH.
    I actually do think that there are some people in life who always look very "neat" or something, even without much effort, and I do think that there are people like me who can't stay groomed looking for long and usually end up abit scruffy looking a few hours later even after getting done up.
    [Kind of like how some people are really photogenic maybe?]

There's nothing necessary wrong with it though. I've never had any bad comments anyways.
    I suppose with A LOT of extra effort though, even I could look groomed too!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

I work in an office and am regularly told I am very glam / well presented - not bragging, it's fact.

I look groomed because I keep it simple - black tights, keep heels in work and a dress, normally max €20 euro each from penneys etc. I use low cost make up but keep it simple and file and polish my nails. Clean hair and a spray of perfume. That's it

It takes no longer nor is it more expensive to look well groomed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

All the time? No.

For work, straightened hair, makeup, smart clothes, filed nails, etc is essential - it's as important an aspect of professionalism as turning up on time if you ask me.

But it's such a bloody effort (especially when you're 'blessed' with a mane of thick and curly hair that requires at least an hour's attention to look in any way decent) that I treasure my time off where I don't worry about hair or makeup so much and am happy to hop out for a walk or to the shops without any of that effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Nope... I live in jeans and tshirt/ hoodies most of the time. I'm a bit of a "ladette" to be honest.

I smarten up for work with blouses/ trousers all right, even though there's no dress code in work. I like to have separate "work" clothes from what I wear at weekends/ evenings. I iron these and hang them up properly but don't bother with the rest of my wardrobe.

I have hair that's very thick and slightly wavy, grand when it's shortish but when it gets longer it's a nightmare so I tie it up, I own a hair straightener but think it's a lot of work!

I never wear makeup except on very special occasions. Can't live without nice moisturiser though.

I like nice body creams, shower gels shampoos and perfumes also!

I really do admire those girls who always look absolutely immaculate, with everything matching, but it's just not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I have my hair straightened for work every day with make up on and nail varnish. I teach kids, so if it's in junior infants I pull my hair back & wear whatever (within reason) because I'll be crawling, and running around, covered in paint/yogurt/ chalk by the end of the day...

If it's older kids, assembly or PTMs I'll have a nice blouse or cardigan, trousers, heels, nice necklace. Generally matching too but not overly perfect or Stepford Wife-ish.

I like to feel groomed. Casual day to day I wear rock style, on a night out I love back combed hair and really playful or dark make up. I'm artistic so like to represent myself through style. I love dressing up.

On a pamper day with a bubble bath or extra long shower I love to be defuzzed, soles of feet softened, skin moisturised and tanned, exfoliated, toned face, hair mask, body spray.. the works.

That said, over the Christmas break I was in PJs for about a week and probably smelled like a homeless person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 smurfet24

i wish i could be tidy like that.
    ive 2 kids (4yrs and 5months) so the house is kept clean the washing is done etc. but so far as ironing everything it rarely happens, by the time all the clothes are washed folded and put away there always another pile!
    i hang up any of my dressy clothes everythig else is folded and put away, if it even gets to the wardrobe b4 being used again lol.
    while im around the house hair is tied back and jeans and tshirts will suffice as well as wen doing the dreaded school run.
    if im going shopping or out though i do make the effort, hair done makeup done etc
    i was after getting into a great routine where i was uber organised and dressed up daily but once my lil fella came there was no hope of keeping up with it.
    put simply i dont have the time top spend 2 hrs on myself but if i was child free im sure i would be the same :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

Everything is everywhere in my home but when somebody is looking for something I know exactly where to find it. My head is my filing cabinet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

After reading this thread i'll definitely try harder at keeping myself groomed..

In a bit of a rut at the moment looks wise, trying to get on a diet and make myself more presentable should have been my new years resolution! :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

tatabubbly wrote: »
    After reading this thread i'll definitely try harder at keeping myself groomed..

In a bit of a rut at the moment looks wise, trying to get on a diet and make myself more presentable should have been my new years resolution! :P

Yeah I'm going through a slow makeover and I'm going to try too! xD

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

tatabubbly wrote: »

Same as that, usually for myself I class 'neat and well-groomed' as 'Up and dressed'!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

ive a few assignments due so strangely enough my room has never been so tidy:D but generally its what i like to term organised chaos. If im not in work i live in jeans and top and trainers, work is black trousers, nice top and runners or shoes. rarely if ever wear makeup, unless im going out or my skin is gone to rubbish and i need to cover it up, cant remeber the last time i had a hair cut, tho i might treat myself to one this week. Im a really girly girl at times but just cant be bothered to get up mad early to do my hair and makeup.

tho my new years resolution is to lose weight and make a bit more of an effort:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

I'm a bit untidy, but always clean.

My clothes get hung up/folded. On days I'm late home, they're put in a pile on the floor until I get around to putting them away. Otherwise, as I take them off it's back into the wardrobe if I'll get another wear out of them.

I only iron things that look creased.

I shower daily and straighten my hair most days. Even though I nearly always wear it up, I think it looks better straight and up than wavy and up, but that's personal preference.

I rarely wear make-up during the day.

My normal work attire is jeans & cons/skinnies & uggs/skirt, leggings & uggs, with a top/t-shirt. The odd time I'd wear a fancy skirt to work with flat boots if I've a presentation or important lunch or something. The odd time I've been known to wear a tracksuit to work, but normally only on the weekends.

At home I'm either in pj's or tracksuit/oversized hoodie, unless there's visitors, then I'm wearing whatever I wore for work/whatever I was doing that day.

My work "handbag" is a schoolbag.

When it comes to going out I get dressed up. Dress, tights/leggings, shoes. Proper handbag. Hair down, poker straight, make up done.

Never get manicure/pedicure etc. The most I'd stretch to is a massage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

My GF is extraordinarily untidy. Yes, I am a guy, and yes it does make a big difference to some of us. Not that women should need to do anything to please men in general but just throwing in an opinion from the other side.

She will wear very expensive clothes, beautiful dresses etc, always has her legs etc shaved and so on. But sometimes she doesnt brush her hair, or for example her nail varnish might be a week old and chipped etc. She wouldn´t even notice it.

In my line of work I would meet clients of the company and be expected to entertain them, usually its dinner, drinks with my gf and their wives gfs, etc.
    And I will ask her really nicely hey can you put on your game face here, were going in fo ra big bonus this week sweetie, etc. And then she will arrive with 2 mismatched shoes or something. I feel like a gay half of a couple here because generally Im a bit of an alpha male but I was mortified when the b1tch wife of a colleague made a comment about not understanding the styles of the young girls (my gf had 1 diamond ear-ring on...[she eventually found the twin months later] )
    The food... She will spill ANYTHING on her clothes. When she orders a milkshake, its ALWAYS chocolate, and it will ALWAYS end up on her top, in her hair etc.

I don´t want to just moan about the gf on here, shes a great girl, much more beautiful and smarter than myself and I love her to bits, even if she is a great big mess!
    And shes not always so messy, just most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭kiwi123

was in work yesterday and one of the girls turned around to me and said that she noticed I wasn't wearing make up yesterday and was I just too lazy to put it on and that she noticed a huge difference in me with and without make up - I was like nice one cheers.
    I was informed as well that I wear too much make up sometimes by my boyfriend so think he was glad to see me not caked in it.

I never go and get nails done, hair is usually thrown up but that means if i do my nails on a night out, the girls usually comment that they look well etc.

To be honest I am the least organized person in the world, to the point where other people get frustrated by it. Part of the new years resolution to be more careful with stuff!

I almost envy those who are naturally organized. One of my friends is like anal about being organized to the extent where we are nervous about going into her room etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

I'm pretty tidy in general, but I think I'd fail at life if I had to be "neat and well groomed" all the time. I mean, I'm not a slob by any means, but I don't put a whole lot of effort into getting myself clothed and out of the house on most days.

Funny enough, before Christmas a coworker of mine mentioned how she liked my sense of style. I was like, you mean . . . my jeans and sweaters? Uhhh . . . thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement