Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you neat and well groomed all the time.

Options
  • 11-01-2011 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭

I have a friend in work who always come to work perfectly made up, hair straightened she is always well groomed...when she was showing me around her apartment one evening i realized she hangs up all her clothes jean everything... she said to me the only thing i fold and put away is my underwear everything else is ironed, put on a hanger and hung up.

On a flight during the summer i was siting beside a woman who was very large she looked amazing however because she was very groomed nails done, makeup immaculate clothes..

I would love to be like that but it would take me hours and i would be exhausted i couldn't get up two hours before work just to wash and straighten my hair yet some women do that....i would love to have a tidy hand bag instead of the dumping ground of old pen and supermarket receipts that my bag is.

So what i am wondering is being well groomed and neat something your are born with and for the rest of us its always going to be a struggle.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'm a slob. I'm clean but very untidy. I'm here at work with bobbled all over my jumper. I wish I could care enough to make a better effort sometimes. It hasn't hindered me in my career though, they keep promoting me in spite of my slovenly appearance. :p

My house is fairly tidy these days but I still haven't ironed since I moved into our house in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

No way! There's a few people in work alright that are done up to the nines every single day. I have my shower and keep myself groomed waxing wise but there's no chance I'd have manicures done or get up early to straigten my hair! My hair get's popped into a bun, slap on a bit of light make up and a t-shirt a jeans will do me. Today I'm wearing a big baggy jumper with a skirt, tights and converse. First things in my wardrobe. :)

At home yeah I hang up all the t-shirts and fold everything else but I just don't iron unless I need a shirt (which is a rarity) or something. Don't get me wrong, I don't go around with creased clothing or anything, I just wash and dry my clothes in such a way that they don't really need an iron.. IMO anyway.

If I'm going out I'll make the effort but not for work!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

A bit of a slob here too. One thing I do do is put stuff in the same place every time so that, despite the mess, I can find what I'm looking for.

It looks like hours every day but, once you have a tidy system in place, it doesn't take that much effort to remain tidy. You do, however, have to iron / hang up / put away every time...

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

I do, I blaim the fact I do modelling, it's expected there, so it has creeped into other aspects of my life as well. It is annoying though. Sometimes I'm standing in front of the mirror applying full make up and then remembering: Oh wait, I'm not going anywhere today, I don't need this stuff. And then take it all off again.....:(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

I go through phases really. I'm always clean but there are days when I'm more polished than others.

At home tho, I am tidy and always put away my clothes, rarely iron tho if I can get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I wouldn't bother with the straightener or curler for work but I do take a few mins to blowdry my hair sort of carefully in the mornings.
    Other than that I'm neat enough but no make up and just whatever looks ok for work.

I have my nails painted at the moment which is a once in a blue moon occurrence :D But I keep them extremely short so no point in manicures or whathaveyou

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

At the moment I'm sitting here in my pj's and unbrushed hair! :D

When I go to work, I like to have a full face of make up on and hair tidy, first impressions are everything and I work in a customer service job so I like to look fairly decent for the customers.

But my dresses and jackets are the only thing I hang up. My tshirts and jeans are all folded and put away. I couldn't be polished all the time, I agree with the OP it would be exhausting!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

When I'm going to work I make sure I look nice and have tidy hair, but it literally takes me 10 minutes to do in the morning. I look presentable, not stunning! If I'm just hanging around my house for the day, I won't make much of an effort at all :P

I'm great at keeping my house clean, but not so great at keeping it tidy, if you know the difference! I'll always dust and polish and hoover and clean the bathroom and kitchen, but there is often a bit of clutter. But I'd always tidy if I was expecting guests!

If I'm meeting with friends or going on a night out, thats when I really put some effort into looking good!

When I'm going to work I make sure I look nice and have tidy hair, but it literally takes me 10 minutes to do in the morning. I look presentable, not stunning! If I'm just hanging around my house for the day, I won't make much of an effort at all :P

I'm great at keeping my house clean, but not so great at keeping it tidy, if you know the difference! I'll always dust and polish and hoover and clean the bathroom and kitchen, but there is often a bit of clutter. But I'd always tidy if I was expecting guests!

If I'm meeting with friends or going on a night out, thats when I really put some effort into looking good!

Same. You just wrote exactly what I was thinking. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'm really neat. I hang up all my clothes and they're arranged - bulky things first, so all my coats, then knitwear, jeans, trousers, shorts/skirts, then dresses and tops going from the thickest to the thinnest. I fold things like pj's and clothes I only wear for hanging around the house. I have two underwear drawers, and a separate bra drawer. I arrange them by colour. :o

I worked in fashion retail for a long time though, so organising clothes and hanging is something I'm just used to. Plus my mum is obsessively tidy, so I guess I grew up with everything around me perfectly in place. I feel anxious and uncomfortable amongst mess and clutter.

As for well groomed, sort of. I always do my nails and that kind of thing. I wouldn't go to work without putting on make up, doing my hair. If I'm just running to the shop for some milk though, I wouldn't be bothered with a full face of make up etc. I do think presentation is really important however, and I like to look my best.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Worst case of false advertising since "The Never Ending Story"mad.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

No, I get very lazy when I don't have to go anywhere and wear hoodie and tracksuit bottoms around the house, otherwise I usually make an effort with hair/clothes/make-up. I mean hair can be a pain but I don't see why its such an effort to wear a nice outfit and it makes me feel more confident when I know I look nice.

I organise things by colour too! Both my stuff and my OH's stuff, he thinks I'm crazy. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Going in to college, I don't think I even brush my hair most days! Though in saying that, I'm blessed with lovely straight hair, so it always looks done :D I throw on whatever clothes and away I go :P There are some American students who go in in their pyjamas, at least I get dressed! I can't understand girls who get all dressed up for something so trivial...
    When I'm going into town with friends or out at night, I do make an effort with make-up etc. I paint my toenails cuz I love peep-toes :P but that's it, really.
    When I'm doing the odd bit of work I do my best to look presentable, cuz I really need a job so I'm desperate for someone to keep me on!

*edit* also, I'm quite OCDish when it comes to tidiness at home :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yeah when I'm just at home for the day I don't bother. I leave my hair the way it is/don't wear make-up etc..

For work I have to have my hair neat and tied up (I work around food/drink). I must keep my fingernails short with no nail varnish or anything. (but always paint my toes pretty colours...because I can!)

At college I put a bit of effort in. Unless I'm after an all nighter..nothing will make me look more presentable :/

I'm not at all neat. Like to keep things clean though. And I'm one of these people that must have a shower everyday or I feel like crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

It depends on where I am and what I'm doing..

At home - Usually no makeup but maybe foundation, hair not straight and either in pj's or baggy jeans/tracksuit and t-shirt.

College - Simple makeup, blow dried straight hair comfy clothes usually skinny jeans and a t-shirt.

Work - Only foundation, I'm working with kids so hair is usually in a ponytail and I'm usually wearing tracksuit pants and a t-shirt.

Out and About - I like having on nice makeup and dressing nice in flat boots and dresses and nice jackets, straightening my hair if I have time. I do like to make the effort.

With clients - It's important for me to be wearing full makeup when I'm doing makeup for someone else. I dress to impress here :D Hair is straightened or curled but I tend to really make sure I look good.

I like to have my clothes organised :D I have a wardrobe and two chest of drawers in my bedroom. In my wardrobe I hang up jackets, dresses and fancy tops and in the first chest of drawers I have jeans and pants, skirts and shorts, t-shirts and string tops, scarves and then belts in the last drawer. In the second chest of drawers I keep underwear, socks, bras in all separate drawers and the last is my tights and leggings drawer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Pocketfizz wrote: »
    With clients - It's important for me to be wearing full makeup when I'm doing makeup for someone else. I dress to impress here :D Hair is straightened or curled but I tend to really make sure I look good.

Hmm, what's the done thing here? Do you go all out to look utterly gorgeous or are you supposed to look just a bit less pretty than the client will end up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

During the week it just wouldnt be practical for me to be dolled up. I put on a little make-up, pile my hair up high and off my face, jeans, converse, and plain top or a zippy top. I like to leave the dressing up / more make-up for the weekend. I wouldnt like to look the same all the time, and like the difference it makes when I do dress up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Hmm, what's the done thing here? Do you go all out to look utterly gorgeous or are you supposed to look just a bit less pretty than the client will end up?

I don't go OTT and I would never purposely make myself look worse than the client :) For me it gives me confidence it's like having a pep talk before a sports game, when I apply makeup to myself I get so much confidence and I'm not as nervous, I've only been doing freelance makeup for 6 months now so it can be overwhelming especially when you find our you have to do makeup for models :eek:

It's nice to feel pretty when you work with some beautiful people :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I'm messy, but clean. My apartment is spotless, you won't find a speck of dust or a mark on the mirror, but my stuff is everywhere so it doesn't look as clean as it actually is.

Personally, I do my hair, make up and nails perfectly each day. If one nail chips, all nail polish comes off and do both hands again.

Clothes-wise, clean clothes everyday, of course, but I rarely Iron unless something really needed it. I generally just let things hang in my bathroom the day before and let the steam remove the creases.

Make up: college or work then full face, otherwise the bare minimal or none at all.

I like to be well groomed, it makes me feel better and gives me more confidence, but I'm not groomed to within an inch of my life 24/7.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i'm quite obsessively neat and tidy, so would always hang up clothes. and they are ordered in my wardrobe according to colour. if you asked me know where is a particular cardigan i could tell you its on the top rail towards the right etc.

i even have all my jewellery in individual boxes, with a sticker on the outside saying whats in it, and the boxes are arranged in a drawer labels facing up so i can read them at a glance.

i keep my home clean and tidy, and would be uneasy if for some reason it was untidy (usually down to visitors)

in terms of appearance, i wear make-up if i feel i need it eg if my skin has a pallor due to illness or tiredness, but i dont wear it everyday. would do toenails in teh summer but not in winter, and never do fingernails as i bite them so dont want to draw attention to them. i straighten my hair if im going out but otherwise i let it dry naturally... its dry by the time i get in to work and inevitable looks better than if i had blowdried it, due to my crap hairdressing skills.

have to admit that in winter i wouldnt always have the legs defuzzed. in summer i would, although i never wear skirts so i dont know why i keep it up in summer but not as religiously in winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Always clean, but in the mornings I just wear the most basic work clothes, black trousers, penneys top, and scrape the hair into a bun. My nails are always in nice shape and well filed, but Id leave on chipped nail varnish for a few days (only clear or nude colours though).

I never wear make up unless Im going out at night or a special occasion in the day. I very very rarely wear heels.

Funnily enough Im the most glamorous of a lot of my friends when I do go out, I make a massive effort with the hair, clothes, make up, accessories. You wouldnt actually recognise me as the same person as I am in the daytime - I have had people from work totally double take me or not know me when Im out.

My house is clean but cluttered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Very untidy in general but well turned out lookswise - unless I'm nipping out somewhere under the cover of darkness in which case...well, just be glad it's dark :P My sister on the other hand is immaculately dressed and made up 24/7. I admire her dedication but I just can't find it in myself to make that much effort all of the time.

My car is spotless though!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

It depends where Im going, but in general Im very untidy! I try to be well groomed etc but I'm just so clumsy and generally messy that the groomed sleek look doesn't really suit me anyway.

To be honest one of my friends is like this, really well turned out all the time, but I don't envy her. I knwo how much effort she goes to to be like that, and she's also very self concious, always checking herself, touching up etc. I couldn't live like that! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Natasha_

IDK, I refuse to look like I just rolled out of bed...even if I just did. I might be home for the day, and I might be in yoga pants and a tee, but the frickin pants and tee match and at some point a comb has had at least a flirting acquaintance with my hair. And like one of you said, Im showered -- every day, at least once, more if Ive been to the gym or something.

Normally Im well put together, but that has more to do with my clothes fetish than anything else. And I can't skip putting on at least one accessory, whether it's a belt or a bangle, I don't care but it has to be something -- lately Im wearing a fabulous silver necklace I got as an xmas giftie :D Usually I have lipstick and mascara, and ALWAYS have polish on my fingers and toes

The only time you'll catch me not giving a **** is when Im too sick to give a ****....but then the second I feel better Im back to giving a **** and whip out the lippy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I usually make a decent enough effort with my appearance for work, even though as a postgrad student there's no dress code and most of the time I'm sitting in front of a computer! But I'd still do full make up (which isn't too intense; just enough to tae away the pale face!), skirt and cardigan type outfit, matching jewelry.

Coming up to Christmas it was so bloody cold I just wore jeans and an old hoody; one of the other girls commented that "casual Jo" looked so different than normal Jo :pac:

I keep my apartment clean but far from tidy :o and like many others have said, I only do the ironing if I absolutely have to. Which is very rare, tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Not always. Often have scruffy and messy hair while around the house. Now while out and about I would be neat and tidy unless the wind or a hat wrecks my hair! Always made an effort to be well presented when going to work and to college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I like to strike a balance between well turned out and a bit messy, think Sex & The City meets a disheveled tramp, albeit a foxy one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

I am quite neat, I like to keep things tidy. I actually think it's easier to spend an extra few minutes tidying, getting ready etc than having to spend twenty minutes searching for stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

God no. I'm always clean, and if I don't feel clean I feel like poop, but I'm not particularly well groomed. I live in jeans + hoodie most of the time. My hair is naturally straight and takes care of itself, and usually I'll put on a bit of light make-up if I'm going out somewhere.

As for my environment.. Again it's clean :P. Actually, I'm a tad OCD about keeping shared living spaces clean and tidy, but my bedroom is amazingly untidy. It's not dirty or anything, but it's so small and already packed with a fair amount of furniture that clothes and stuff just seem to stack up so quickly... I couldn't give a flying poo about hanging stuff up or finding the proper place to put things away, because I always know where everything is anyway. But yeah, it definitely looks like a bomb went off in there.

Advertisement