Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Serious team sheet. Really interested to see Fez running off scrums....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

**** me what a pack 1-8.

Hands and feet everywhere!

Not a bad backline either, with Gilroy on the bench

Ulster will be serious contenders this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Not their strongest XV with Tekori, Claassen and Kockott on the bench, but still a decent side. Who's yer man at #8?

15. Romain Teulet, 14. Marcel Garvey, 13. Seremaia Bai, 12. Daniel Kirkpatrick, 11. Marc Andreu, 10. Pierre Bernard, 9. Thierry Lacrampe
    1. Yannick Forestier, 2. Mathieu Bonello, 3. Michaël Coetzee, 4. Matthias Rolland, 5. Rodrigo Capo Ortega, 6. Piula Faasalele, 7. Yannick Caballero, 8. Pedrie Wannenburg,

16. Marc-Antoine Rallier, 17. Grégory Marmoiton, 18. Mihaïta Lazar, 19. Iosefa Tekori, 20. Antonie Claassen, 21. Rory Kockott, 22. Paul Bonnefond, 23. Thomas Sanchou

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Got a feeling this'll be the big scoring game of round 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

.ak wrote: »
    Serious team sheet. Really interested to see Fez running off scrums....

Hook will be on the "Heaslip is ****" boat again with Ferris moved to 8.

Serious team though and great replacements to come on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Hook will be on the "Heaslip is ****" boat again with Ferris moved to 8.

Serious team though and great replacements to come on.

Heaslip could be 4 stars soon :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ferris has played 8 before. Im not expecting much from him there. It's a shame Williams is injured given his form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Ferris has played 8 before. Im not expecting much from him there. It's a shame Williams is injured given his form.

Williams all round play has been superb. Repeat Final would be savage in the Aviva.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

As in a big winning margin for Ulster or high-scoring on both sides?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Yes but the guys who are coming in for Castres will be motivated to do well. This will be a test for Ulster for all sorts of reasons but you'd have to think Ulster should win and probably reasonably comfortably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

I would like to see Gilroy starting ahead of Trimble. Can't wait to see Ferris at 8 and Henderson at 6.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think Gilroy is the better wing personally, though by no means is that a denigration of Trimble who I think is a good wing. I imagine Gilroy may work his way in by the end of the pool stages.

That is a very, very strong looking team though. If Ulster don't ship many injuries then they will go far.

Their whole pack can carry ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

I'd genuinely love to see Pienaar, Marshall and Gilroy included in that team. Hopefully we'll see a team like that be first choice by the end of the season. I don't think any of the other provinces could field such an exciting side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I think Gilroy is the better wing personally, though by no means is that a denigration of Trimble who I think is a good wing. I imagine Gilroy may work his way in by the end of the pool stages.

That is a very, very strong looking team though. If Ulster don't ship many injuries then they will go far.

Think Gilroy looks more comfortable on the right wing and Bowe wont be shifted from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

I'd genuinely love to see Pienaar, Marshall and Gilroy included in that team. Hopefully we'll see a team like that be first choice by the end of the season. I don't think any of the other provinces could field such an exciting side.

Leinster would give it a good go..:p

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Ferris is out of tonights match :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Ravens won 49-19 against Bridgend. http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/10877.php

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭backawaygo onahead

Ulster romp Ravens derby:D

• Advertisement

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Leinster would give it a good go..:p

Aye they certainly would but not today - lucky to get the win & a very very dull game.

Munster got off to a flyer, threw it away, won it again & thanks to Murray, lost it ultimately.

Two not very exciting games sadly.

Great win for the Westies - successive HC wins, well done Connacht.

I'd love to hear from young Paddy on this. I've seen kickers warming up looking to hit the single post they can see. I'd love to know if this was a freak or if he actually tried it.

One way or another his kicking this season has been such a positive change from his nervous looking kicking last year.

Hats off to the wee ginger, a tough wee nut who tackles above his size and is growing in confidence week after week. Going to be 10 for Ulster for years & who knows beyond that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Don't know if he was the first or what but Wilkinson used to practice kicking like that before games. Very impressive from Jackson though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think it's relatively a standard drill for kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I think it's relatively a standard drill for kicking.

That's what I thought. I've sort of been wondering what the big deal has been about this all week! Although in saying that it showdown pinpoint accuracy but I'm imagine most kickers at pro level and even below are capable of it.

Anyway Jackson's goalkicking has been excellent this season so I hope he continues whatever it is he is doing st training.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chris_d

Yay Ulster!

Bloody cold on friday night, but Ruan's try was one of the greatest things ever. Silly frenchies.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Preliminary squad for Glasgow named

FORWARDS (16):

Rory Best, Rob Herring, Nigel Brady, Callum Black, John Afoa, Tom Court, Adam Macklin, Neil McComb, Dan Tuohy, Lewis Stevenson, Johann Muller, Iain Henderson, Stephen Ferris, Mike McComish, Chris Henry, Nick Williams.

BACKS (12):

Paul Marshall, Ruan Pienaar, Niall O’Connor, Paddy Jackson, Luke Marshall, Paddy Wallace, Darren Cave, Craig Gilroy, Andrew Trimble, Tommy Bowe, Jared Payne.

Nice to see Ferris and Williams back. If one of them make it for the weekend it would be great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chris_d

Fingers crossed at least one of them comes through the week. Have not seen enough of Ferris this season.

Isnt the Ravenhill development due to start soon? I really hope they dont make a balls of it. I love that place. Have only been on the terrace once or twice since the new stand was put in thanks to the annoying security over there. Prom all the way now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

(15-9): J Payne; T Bowe, D Cave, P Wallace, A Trimble; P Jackson, R Pienaar;
    (1-8): T Court, R Best, J Afoa, J Muller (c), D Tuohy, I Henderson, C Henry, N Williams;
    Replacements (16-23): R Herring, C Black, A Macklin, L Stevenson, M McComish, P Marshall, L Marshall, C Gilroy.

Good to see Williams has recovered. As much as Pienaar is a fantastic player, a little harsh to drop Marshall after his performance last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yeah I kind've thought Pienaar would be held back a bit. At least Marshall will be able to offer a lot off the bench as usual.

Perhaps they're going to just play him this week and then give him a bit of a break?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement