Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ulster go away to Dragons next week, they can win that without Pienaar IMO. Very tough on Marshall to be dropped but it was always going to be that way.

Williams coming back at number eight is worth a try to Ulster with his class ball skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

15 Stuart Hogg

14 Byron McGuigan *
    13 Peter Murchie
    12 Peter Horne
    11 Alex Dunbar

10 Ruaridh Jackson
    9 Henry Pyrgos

1 Ryan Grant
    2 Dougie Hall
    3 Mike Cusack
    4 Tom Ryder
    5 Al Kellock (CAPTAIN)
    6 Josh Strauss
    7 Chris Fusaro
    8 Ryan Wilson

SUBSTITUTES

16 Finlay Gillies
    17 Ofa Fainga’anuku
    18 Gordon Reid
    19 Tim Swinson
    20 Rob Harley *
    21 John Barclay
    22 Scott Wight
    23 Niko Matawalu *

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ulster go away to Dragons next week, they can win that without Pienaar IMO. Very tough on Marshall to be dropped but it was always going to be that way.

Williams coming back at number eight is worth a try to Ulster with his class ball skills.

I think I read somewhere that Pienaar has asked for a couple of weeks off after this weekend. In fairness he'll need it. However thinking about it he'll probably then be called into the SA test squad for the November tests so I'm not sure how that will work, but Ulster will want him in tip top form for the double header with the Saints in December. It also brings about the possibility that IF Marshall were called into the Ireland set up that we could be royalling screwed at 9 during the month of November!

Anyway it's harsh on Marshall but Pienaar is probably up there with the top three 9s in the world at the moment and for a game as important as this I think it's the right call. Glasgow will try and disrupt us at the breakdown and with that in mind Pienaar always had to start. Marshall can come on when the Weegies are knackered from trying to spoil our breakdown and run them ragged!

Great to see Williams back, McComish did ok but Williams is a few levels above him. Just Ferris to return and we're at full strength in terms of the starting XV, although Iain Henderson (or The Next Willie John McBride as one blogger has pronnounced him) will do just rightly thanks very much...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Whatever happened to Adam D'arcy??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭jacothelad

leftleg wrote: »
    Whatever happened to Adam D'arcy??

Injured and recovered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

is sean doyle injured at the moment dont think i have seen him play lately.just on his contract is he signed until the end of the season or a short term deal if he is on a short term deal is he good enough for a longer deal ??

is sean doyle injured at the moment dont think i have seen him play lately.just on his contract is he signed until the end of the season or a short term deal if he is on a short term deal is he good enough for a longer deal ??

he's out for the next month or so IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

he's out for the next month or so IIRC

oh rite didnt know that looks like a decent player thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Still Wilson and Allen to come back as well. If guys can keep fit then they have a very decent squad. Real step up by the young guys has been great to see this year. Probably even more satisfying for me than the new faces.
    However Payne has been the star man for me though, just pure class from open field and when receiving deep from PJ.

I'm still concerned that we have no real cover at 10, NO'K doesn't float my boat at all, just don't think he's good enough and don't think RP or PW really wants to cover.

Saying that what a great start to the season so far, super, super job.

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Still Wilson and Allen to come back as well. If guys can keep fit then they have a very decent squad. Real step up by the young guys has been great to see this year. Probably even more satisfying for me than the new faces.
    However Payne has been the star man for me though, just pure class from open field and when receiving deep from PJ.

I'm still concerned that we have no real cover at 10, NO'K doesn't float my boat at all, just don't think he's good enough and don't think RP or PW really wants to cover.

Saying that what a great start to the season so far, super, super job.

Olding is a very good prospect indeed at 10 /12 / 13 and Luke Marshall is a better 10 than NOC even though he rarely gets a chance to play there these days - but then who isn't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Olding can play 15 as well. He's a very talented kid. Looking forward to seeing him play for the Irish u20s this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

U20's will do well, Ulster not necessarily producing the same quantity of young talent as Leinster, but aren't far off in terms of quality. The likes of Marshall/Gilroy/Jackson/Henderson could easily be long-term internationals.

jacothelad wrote: »

Olding is a very good prospect indeed at 10 /12 / 13 and Luke Marshall is a better 10 than NOC even though he rarely gets a chance to play there these days - but then who isn't?

Be interesting to see what happens when PJ picks up a knock.
    Hope the coach realises your thoughts.
    Failing that grab the nearest spectator and stick a 10 top on them, better than he who should not be named.

Keep up the good work on podcast BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

i wonder what will be done with Allen when hes back fit...i can't see him getting too much game time with both gilroy and marshall taking his bench spot....i suppose that is heineken cup though

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Be interesting to see what happens when PJ picks up a knock.
    Hope the coach realises your thoughts.
    Failing that grab the nearest spectator and stick a 10 top on them, better than he who should not be named.

Keep up the good work on podcast BTW.

My guess is that NOC will go to 10 if Paddy gets injured.

You could play Pienaar given Marshall's form but Pienaar himself will be with SA in November and as I mentioned before also wants and needs a couple of weeks off at some stage. Wallace and Marshall are options, Olding will become an option very soon...but I think it would be NOC.

bilston wrote: »

My guess is that NOC will go to 10 if Paddy gets injured.

You could play Pienaar given Marshall's form but Pienaar himself will be with SA in November and as I mentioned before also wants and needs a couple of weeks off at some stage. Wallace and Marshall are options, Olding will become an option very soon...but I think it would be NOC.

Yeah, that's what I fear most.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Why the hell was NOC ever signed?

Coach seems to have little faith in him. Supporters don't rate him. He's not HEC standard. Basically he's a squad player who's making up the numbers.

Why didn't they look elsewhere or was he a panic signing?

mfceiling wrote: »
    Why the hell was NOC ever signed?

Coach seems to have little faith in him. Supporters don't rate him. He's not HEC standard. Basically he's a squad player who's making up the numbers.

Why didn't they look elsewhere or was he a panic signing?

Panic signing probably, I don't think they expected Humphreys to leave. Plus Pienaar being away in Sept-mid Oct and then Nov didn't help either. Paddy Wallace was also recovering from injury at the start of the season thanks to Kidney.

Connacht released NOC from the last year of his contract so they didn't want him there either.

I don't think he's getting back into the team unless there's an injury crisis, Jackson, Pienaar, Luke Marshall and Wallace will all start ahead of him. The problem is, Ulster are also light at centre because of Nevin Spence's untimely passing and injuries to Allen and Farrell.

Panic signing probably, I don't think they expected Humphreys to leave. Plus Pienaar being away in Sept-mid Oct and then Nov didn't help either. Paddy Wallace was also recovering from injury at the start of the season thanks to Kidney.

Connacht released NOC from the last year of his contract so they didn't want him there either.

I don't think he's getting back into the team unless there's an injury crisis, Jackson, Pienaar, Luke Marshall and Wallace will all start ahead of him. The problem is, Ulster are also light at centre because of Nevin Spence's untimely passing and injuries to Allen and Farrell.

I did hear that NOC played very well against Bridgend last weekend for the Ravens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

NOC is at best their 3rd fly half though, as if Jackson gets injured Pienaar will move to 10 with Marshall at 9. So basically you need both Pienaar and Jackson injured before he comes into the first team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

id say paddy wallace might even be considered before him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Paddy Wallace was also recovering from injury at the start of the season thanks to Kidney.

Why? What did Kidney do to him?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Anyone know where I can pick up tickets for the away Northampton fixture? Going to be over there anyway so don't want to book on the supporter trips.

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Why? What did Kidney do to him?:rolleyes:

Wallace needed a shoulder operation. He was ordered by Kidney to delay the op until after the N.Z. tour. He could and should have had it in late may or early June rather than July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

jacothelad wrote: »
    Wallace needed a shoulder operation. He was ordered by Kidney to delay the op until after the N.Z. tour. He could and should have had it in late may or early June rather than July.
    Edit: Actually never mind. Chat away.

The Ravens team for tomorrow's B&I Cup math with Bristol gives an interesting insight to NOC's place within the Ulster squad...

15 Peter Nelson
    14 Ricky Andrew
    13 Michael Allen
    12 Luke Marshall
    11 Chris Cochrane
    10 Stuart Olding
    9 Michael Heaney
    1 Richard Lutton
    2 Niall Annett
    3 Adam Macklin
    4 Alan O'Connor
    5 Neil McComb
    6 Robbie Diack
    7 Ali Birch
    8 Roger Wilson

Bench - Nigel Brady, Kyle McCall, James Simpson, Conor Joyce, Blane McIlroy, Niall O'Connor, Stuart McCloskey

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

When I saw Marshall named for the Ravens, I thought he was out of the senior squad completely, but he is on the bench, yeah?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Fireball07 wrote: »
    When I saw Marshall named for the Ravens, I thought he was out of the senior squad completely, but he is on the bench, yeah?

yep

I think the ravens might be a preliminary team and if Marshall has to play a significant amount then he will give up his spot on the Ravens team

Fireball07 wrote: »

?

P.Marshall - Scrum half, MOTM last week
    L.Marshall - Inside Centre / Out Half - MOTM in the LUlster Cunster game at Lansdowne Road.

Paul playing seniors
    Luke playing Ravens.

(edit, I read your question allllllllll wrong. Luke benching for seniors too :o)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Probably should have distinguished between Luke and Paul tbh :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement