Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Wow, well done Paddy Jackson in the buildup. He's having a great game

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sixy

beautiful from jacko

unreal

Jared Payne you magician!

Tommy Bowe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sixy

this is a great performance, playing some lovely rugby

Hat trick for Tommy would be nice

7 tries!

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

Looking like some result.

Jackson is increasingly oozing class at this level for a 20yr old with game time under his belt. Great team performance from all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Changed to the Leinster game after the 3rd try, just checked back quickly on this to see the score.

48 points, stunned!

Cardiff getting exposed for the poor side they've become, no doubt.

• Advertisement

I would start Heaney. He's so much more stable and smart. Marshall offers so much as a bench option as well. Keep Marshall on the bench when the saint returns and drop Heaney out of the XXIII

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beery Eyed

Great performance. Huge credit to all the players. So many good young players coming through at Ulster right now. Brilliant to see

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭overshoot

smashing performance, just got home 6-0 down and the commontator saying cardiff looked comfortable on the ball... we crushed them in a scrum a minute later and never looked back... was sad to see tommy go off, wanted him to get the hatrick but great run by gilroy before the trimble try.... payne in the back 3 and allen looking good too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

A great win and a fitting tribute to nevin.

Fat nick is seriously powerful with those hand offs and it's positive to see him lasting the full 80.

Knowing that piennar, best and ferris are in the wings it has to bode well for the season.

Onwards and upwards.....

Williams is a complete liability. He's brilliant to watch but some of his mistakes were appalling!

What's the story with Roger Wilson?

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

'ave it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Think this is going to be a massive year for Ulster. The squad is looking stronger than ever and Spence's passing will provide a giant motivating force for everyone involved with the province.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Bowe played a blinding game, things can only get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Williams is a complete liability. He's brilliant to watch but some of his mistakes were appalling!

What's the story with Roger Wilson?

Not so far and for a guy who got parachuted in because the IRFU refused Ulster permission to re sign Wannenburg, he's exceeded all reasonable expectations. He's played 4 league games and three friendlies. He's been m.o.t.m. in 3 of them, has scored 5 tries and he apparently or allegedly isn't totally fit. He was immense tonight. What's he going to do to complete the liability? Just make appalling mistakes and not score tries, offload, but get sent off etc. or throw a few chancy, glory passes that bomb out. If he does, do you think he might be dropped? Wilson has been injured btw. If Williams keeps on being such the complete waste of blood and organs you seem certain he is then Wilson will find it hard to get a start. As will Diack. So until Williams' appalling play kicks in well then, we're golden either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Some win for Ulster tonight. I only saw the early part of the match but it looked like a good, fast game with plenty of offloads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Highlights are up on UAFC.

jacothelad wrote: »
    Not so far and for a guy who got parachuted in because the IRFU refused Ulster permission to re sign Wannenburg, he's exceeded all reasonable expectations. He's played 4 league games and three friendlies. He's been m.o.t.m. in 3 of them, has scored 5 tries and he apparently or allegedly isn't totally fit. He was immense tonight. What's he going to do to complete the liability? Just make appalling mistakes and not score tries, offload, but get sent off etc. or throw a few chancy, glory passes that bomb out. If he does, do you think he might be dropped? Wilson has been injured btw. If Williams keeps on being such the complete waste of blood and organs you seem certain he is then Wilson will find it hard to get a start. As will Diack. So until Williams' appalling play kicks in well then, we're golden either way.

Liability was the wrong choice of word. He does incredible things 50% of the time and he does stupid things 50% of the time.

Tonight he offloaded directly to the opposition a number of times, knocked on a couple, cleared out Henderson clumsily from a secured ruck which put ulster under pressure again, let the ball come out of the back of the scrum a number of times, another scrum he was told to use it and didn't (although ref did nothing so it was ok). Probably more when you watch it back. Then he also scored his tries and smashed people around the place in general.

He's so entertaining and such a threat with ball in hand that I certainly wouldn't have a problem with him starting all season. But when you're playing a game where possession is more valuable than it was tonight I think those mistakes will mean a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,894 ✭✭✭✭phog

Wow, Ulster gave Cardiff a fair beating tonight. Didn't see the game but according to twitter Nick had a MOTM performance, iirc, this is his 2nd in three games not bad for a guy that Hook thought should be banished from Ulster.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

phog wrote: »
    Wow, Ulster gave Cardiff a fair beating tonight. Didn't see the game but according to twitter Nick had a MOTM performance, iirc, this is his 2nd in three games not bad for a guy that Hook thought should be banished from Ulster.

Almost reason enough to keep him.

Liability was the wrong choice of word. He does incredible things 50% of the time and he does stupid things 50% of the time.

Tonight he offloaded directly to the opposition a number of times, knocked on a couple, cleared out Henderson clumsily from a secured ruck which put ulster under pressure again, let the ball come out of the back of the scrum a number of times, another scrum he was told to use it and didn't (although ref did nothing so it was ok). Probably more when you watch it back. Then he also scored his tries and smashed people around the place in general.

He's so entertaining and such a threat with ball in hand that I certainly wouldn't have a problem with him starting all season. But when you're playing a game where possession is more valuable than it was tonight I think those mistakes will mean a lot more.
    Everything you say is true but as you say he is entertaining. As he gets fitter and gets to gel with the team perhaps he'll become better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Great performance from Ulster...well after the first 10mins which was to be expected...In saying that if Warburton hand't knocked on with the line at his mercy things could gave been different.

Still with a pack as dominant as Ulster's you can't fail to score tries with the likes of Bowe, Trimble, Payne, Wallace, Jackson, Cave and Gilroy about.

The Ulster back row ruled the roost against a trio that included Warburton. Henderson cemented his place as a serious prospect and it was great to see Henry back. I can see what Buccs is saying about Williams...but it came off last night. In a tight game against Leinster (not that our games with Leinster are ever tight!), Leicester, Munster or Clermont his one handed offloads may be more a negative than a positive.

Payne oozes class and Bowe was rusty but still scored twice! I really like what I see from Michael Allen, shame about the injury, and as for Jackson I don't ever remember seeing a 20 year old Irish 10 put in a level of performance like he has done in the last few games.

Anyway that was a great tribute to Nevin last night, now the next tribute is to keep it going for the rest of the season.

bilston wrote: »
    Great performance from Ulster...well after the first 10mins which was to be expected...In saying that if Warburton hand't knocked on with the line at his mercy things could gave been different.

Still with a pack as dominant as Ulster's you can't fail to score tries with the likes of Bowe, Trimble, Payne, Wallace, Jackson, Cave and Gilroy about.

The Ulster back row ruled the roost against a trio that included Warburton. Henderson cemented his place as a serious prospect and it was great to see Henry back. I can see what Buccs is saying about Williams...but it came off last night. In a tight game against Leinster (not that our games with Leinster are ever tight!), Leicester, Munster or Clermont his one handed offloads may be more a negative than a positive.

Payne oozes class and Bowe was rusty but still scored twice! I really like what I see from Michael Allen, shame about the injury, and as for Jackson I don't ever remember seeing a 20 year old Irish 10 put in a level of performance like he has done in the last few games.

Anyway that was a great tribute to Nevin last night, now the next tribute is to keep it going for the rest of the season.

Great post Bils. I agree 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

any news on Michael Allens injury?

leonard7 wrote: »
    any news on Michael Allens injury?
    Nothing as yet a.f.a.i.k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ulster v Connacht will be a tasty game next weekend!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement