Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Really struggled through the two 8 minute runs last night in week 5, run 2.

Just can't see how I can possibly run for 20 minutes tomorrow as scheduled in week 5, run 3.

Anyone any tips?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I felt the same, Hesh. It seemed like an impossible task.

I figured I'd just run 8 of the 20 minutes. I knew I could do that, as I'd already had it done. And then I did 2 more - sure what's 2 extra minutes? Then I figured I was already half way there, and figured I'd just do the same again.

It's about breaking it down in to smaller chucks. I had MapMyRun alert me every two minutes so I knew how close I was.

Run, as slowly as you can manage.

If you don't complete it, don't beat yourself up. Repeat WK 5 again. Absolutely no biggie in doing that.

When* you do complete it, it's a great feeling. Actually, it was my proudest moment in the whole course, better even than completing the final 30 minutes. It was a huge, huge milestone and really made me think that if I could do that, then I could do anything, even it took some time to get there.

* note, I say "when" not "if". You WILL get there. Let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

quickbeam wrote: »

I figured I'd just run 8 of the 20 minutes. I knew I could do that, as I'd already had it done. And then I did 2 more - sure what's 2 extra minutes? Then I figured I was already half way there, and figured I'd just do the same again.

It's about breaking it down in to smaller chucks. I had MapMyRun alert me every two minutes so I knew how close I was.

If you don't complete it, don't beat yourself up. Repeat WK 5 again. Absolutely no biggie in doing that.

When* you do complete it, it's a great feeling. Actually, it was my proudest moment in the whole course, better even than completing the final 30 minutes. It was a huge, huge milestone and really made me think that if I could do that, then I could do anything, even it took some time to get there.

Brillaint post! I echo EVERYTHING you say here. Follow this advice Hesh, and you can't go wrong. Just think about how amazing it will feel when you've finished it:D I'll never forget when I did the 20 minute run for the first time. It's definitely one of my proudest moments in my running too. Try not to stress about it as it'll be easier if you're more relaxed. And if you're just not ready for it yet, there is absolutely nothing wrong with repeating a week. But you will do it.
    Make sure and report back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

I taught I would struggle with the 20 mins but I managed it. Slow your jog down as slow as possible if you are struggling. Breath in through your mouth and out through your mouth. Only worry about taking deep breaths in the breath out will take care of itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Gremlin2011

W2D1 last night. It was a struggle with the 90 seconds jogging. I kept trying to push myself, 'get to that cats eye then I might walk', 'get to that sign' etc I did have to start walking at 80 seconds of one of the running intervals. It's an improvement on the 60 seconds of jogging so I'll take any win I can!!

• Advertisement

Its 80s more than you could do before you started :)
    I couldnt finish my 1st run, after 4 x 1 min runs I had to stop and walk the rest. I finished the C25k about 2 weeks ago and now im training for the 10k

• Registered Users Posts: 66,899 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Pushed on today and ran 5k! Still buzzing. Legs almost gave up but lungs had a bit more. Very happy with a slow coach 36 mins.
    From not being able to do more than a minute to 5k and losing 2stone as well (sticking fairly close to Karl Spain's diet in Operation Transformation)

Have faith in that app Hesh, if it can get me there it can get anyone there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Pushed on today and ran 5k! Still buzzing. Legs almost gave up but lungs had a bit more. Very happy with a slow coach 36 mins.
    From not being able to do more than a minute to 5k and losing 2stone as well (sticking fairly close to Karl Spain's diet in Operation Transformation)

Delighted for you FrancieBrady, that's brilliant, you must be delighted.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Delighted for you FrancieBrady, that's brilliant, you must be delighted.

Over the moon. 10 days to go to the race too.
    Thanks to all who have left their stories here, very motivating.

Will do. Fair play to you. Had to postpone my planned run tonight. Life gets in the way sometimes! Did 15 hard minutes on the exercise bike instead.

• Advertisement

Well done Francie. What a huge achievement. You must be so proud :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Week 9 Day 2 in the bag!

Didn't go for the whole 5k this evening. Just done the 30 mins. it was surprisingly easy!

Absolutely chuffed i've decided to do this programme. If anyone is reading this and doubting that they will ever get there, or are thinking that they are so far away from being able to run 5k, you're not. Just trust the programme and take your time. If you have a dodgy week, repeat the week and you'll get there.

quickbeam wrote: »

Thanks a million, that was a very helpful post. Nailed the 20 minutes earlier tonight - a great feeling! A little emotional if I'm honest.

Went very slow all the way except for a slight down slope wind in my back section with a couple of minutes left where I thought I was Mo Farah! :D

Thanks a million, that was a very helpful post. Nailed the 20 minutes earlier tonight - a great feeling! A little emotional if I'm honest.

Went very slow all the way except for a slight down slope wind in my back section with a couple of minutes left where I thought I was Mo Farah! :D

I'll never forget realising that 'I've got this' at about 14 mins. Well done!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

That's fantastic, Hesh! Well done. It is emotional when complete, but it's a great feeling.

Well done Heshs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

That is absolutely brilliant! Well done! Fantastic achievement. Nothing will faze you now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Hesh are you a fellow Laois man? I recognise your username from anther forum that I'm on.
    Congrats on the run. I remember when I did my first 20min run. I was over the moon and was the first time I got the running buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

There's a few posters recently who pointed out that in week 9 they knew they weren't actually covering 5k in the 30 minutes.
    That was so useful to me, because I wasn't too crestfallen today when I checked my distance for the first time. Week 9 day 2 - on 30 minutes I had covered 3K. Inspired by another poster, I decided to press on, the last 1K was kind of unpleasant but I did 5K!
    In 48 minutes, and I suspect I'd cover the same distance faster at a brisk walk.
    But I'm not downhearted, and I'm glad it wasn't a big surprise.
    I'm not quite ready to do a park run yet (the poor volunteers would be frozen waiting for me), but I'm going to chip away at this, maybe do two runs a week at the 30 minutes, and gradually up the distance on the third run. Again, I think it was on here that someone recommended upping by 10% at a time, so for me that would be starting from a base of that 3K and adding 0.3 K each week.
    I think that makes sense, if anybody sees a big flaw in it - advise away.
    Thanks, everybody. Just one more run this week and I've completed this thing, couldn't have got there without all you posters.

There's a few posters recently who pointed out that in week 9 they knew they weren't actually covering 5k in the 30 minutes.
    That was so useful to me, because I wasn't too crestfallen today when I checked my distance for the first time. Week 9 day 2 - on 30 minutes I had covered 3K. Inspired by another poster, I decided to press on, the last 1K was kind of unpleasant but I did 5K!
    In 48 minutes, and I suspect I'd cover the same distance faster at a brisk walk.
    But I'm not downhearted, and I'm glad it wasn't a big surprise.
    I'm not quite ready to do a park run yet (the poor volunteers would be frozen waiting for me), but I'm going to chip away at this, maybe do two runs a week at the 30 minutes, and gradually up the distance on the third run. Again, I think it was on here that someone recommended upping by 10% at a time, so for me that would be starting from a base of that 3K and adding 0.3 K each week.
    I think that makes sense, if anybody sees a big flaw in it - advise away.
    Thanks, everybody. Just one more run this week and I've completed this thing, couldn't have got there without all you posters.

Well done Wavehopper1.
    I'm in a dilemma too about how to proceed. I am very slow but I want to improve and the challenge of a half marathon is in my head
    Focused on doing a race on Sunday so will decide after that.
    I am doing this in a group and we have very good athletic club mentors. So I will have a chat with them.
    I am petrified to face the new year without a plan, the lazy alter ego still lurks in his big black coat! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Great to see the commitment here .

Re upping the distance/time the generally accepted advisé is to do it gradually over time by increasing one run by 10% or so each week. IMO it's so important to avoid injury at this stage as it might discourage us from running. So easy does it .

Dont get too caught up In distance for now .

Speed is similar all your runs on the plan should be easy at conversational pace . Ie you could hold a conversation and run .

Once you've finished the plan most of your runs should be the same but if you wanted you could try push a liitle harder on one of your shorter runs too or introduce intervals , easy runs with 5 or 6 sprints of 100 meters at speed, Lamposts are great start and finish markers for these , allowing youself recover fully between the intervals.

That would give an outline of a plan with one long run , One tempo session and two easy runs. Try have 1 easy run between the tempo run and long run to allow more time for recovery .

Enjoy your runs and run consistantly 3 or 4 times a week and the distance and speed will come naturally.

I love this thread . It's my first to read every morning .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

I'm not quite ready to do a park run yet (the poor volunteers would be frozen waiting for me)

Check the results section of your local parkrun. I know in my local one there's often people who do it in over 48 minutes. You'll get great encouragement from the volunteers, don't worry they'll be wrapped up warm!

Casey78 wrote: »
    Hesh are you a fellow Laois man? I recognise your username from anther forum that I'm on.
    Congrats on the run. I remember when I did my first 20min run. I was over the moon and was the first time I got the running buzz.

I am indeed, well spotted. :)
    Running is massive around where I live near Portarlington. The roads are full of runners, sun or snow.
    Hopefully I will stick with this!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

chickey2 wrote: »
    Check the results section of your local parkrun. I know in my local one there's often people who do it in over 48 minutes. You'll get great encouragement from the volunteers, don't worry they'll be wrapped up warm!
    +1 for this. I volunteer regularly at parkrun and I come well prepared. I don't mind how long I wait, it's not a race, you go at your own pace.

Also don't get caught up on having to do 5km in 30 mins by the end of the program -I did c25k a few years ago and I have only once ever got 5km done in 30mins and that was by a scrape.

So I signed up for the Great Ireland Run on April 9th in Phoenix Park. It's a 10k, so i've given myself a good bit of time to work my way up to 10k. It'll be my first race.

The whole point of this when I started off was to start running to work. Tomorrow is Week 9 Day 3 and it will be the first time I run from my front door to the door of my office! it's 5.2km. Looking forward to it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

I am indeed, well spotted. :)
    Running is massive around where I live near Portarlington. The roads are full of runners, sun or snow.
    Hopefully I will stick with this!

Took me few attempts to stick with it but I think the first 20min run I did was a huge moment for me.
    It seems so long ago now even though it's only been about 3 years. The first 20min then 5k runs I did were probably a bigger moment for me than doing the 2 Marathons I did.
    If you stick with it it will be one of the best things you've ever done for yourself.
    That other (Gaa)forum that you're on has a great Running Thread in the General Discussion section. It helped me when I was starting out and the lads give great advice on it. Not that you won't get good advice here but it's just another option for you.
    Hon Laois :)

Well, this morning I did it. Left my house, walked down the street a bit while I sorted my apps and then started running.

Week 9 Day 3. I ran all the way to the door of my office. 5.03km. it took me 38 mins or so.

I'm not gonna lie, it was stupidly tough!! And afterwards I was more tired than i'd ever been after a run! But right now I feel amazing!

And that's that! Couch to 5k finished! However, it's only the beginning for me I think! I have that race to look forward to in April so I have to keep pushing forward!

Cheers to everyone for the support :)

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Well, this morning I did it. Left my house, walked down the street a bit while I sorted my apps and then started running.

Week 9 Day 3. I ran all the way to the door of my office. 5.03km. it took me 38 mins or so.

I'm not gonna lie, it was stupidly tough!! And afterwards I was more tired than i'd ever been after a run! But right now I feel amazing!

And that's that! Couch to 5k finished! However, it's only the beginning for me I think! I have that race to look forward to in April so I have to keep pushing forward!

Well DOne MrS! Tough morning for it, if it is anything like here -3 or 4 here I imagine.
    Need to get a run in today and it doesn't look like lifting, anyone any tips/advice on running in frozen weather?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I love running in these temperatures, only issue is the slippery paths. Hit a few dodgy spots last night, I just run on the grass if the path looks slippery but that's not always possible.

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »

Well done MrStuffins. Its gets easier after the 1st 5k.

Advertisement