Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66,929 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

quickbeam wrote: »
    Well, C25K complete!! 30 minutes ran this morning. Yay, I guess :rolleyes:

It's a bit of a hollow achievement for me though, as I feel I'm still so far off the 5km mark.

So, Stage 1 is to run for 30 minutes - complete
    Stage 2 is to run for 5km.
    (Stage 3 is to run for 5km in 30 minutes, but that's something to worry about in the future, not now).

It's hard to tell as my MapMyRun app total distance includes my warm up and cool down walks, but I reckon I ran about 3.2km today. I had figured I'd build up to 5km by adding 0.5km per week to my runs - so next week my three runs would be 3.5km, the week after 4km, and in four weeks' time I'd have run 5km.

How does that plan sound? It feels daunting to me, as I feel I don't really have that much more I can give. Maybe on Monday, when it comes time to head out, I'll feel more optimistic about the prospect though.

Or would anybody have a different plan to suggest? Maybe spend a few weeks just running 30 minutes and becoming more comfortable with that?

Don't suggest Park Run. I will do it one day, but only when I can do 5km in a reasonable time. I volunteered at one recently and the slowest runner was in at 35 minutes, so I'm self-conscious enough about running without being 10-15 minutes after everybody else. I will continue to volunteer though.

I dispensed with the App last night and used Runtastic just to see what distance I was covering and got a huge disappointment when it told me I was just covering 3.2 kms. I also do 1.54 warm-up and 1.54 cool down.

I resolved to push my next run out to 4km one way or another. I think I have it in me.

I got out running at 20 stone and hardly able to do 1 minute running continuously.
    Running the race and where I finish doesn't daunt me because of that, I simply don't care if there is somebody having a laugh or looking down their nose. Maybe ask somebody to run with you?

You are on a road, don't let anyone push you off it!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Penfailed wrote: »
    My two cents - go for it! My Facebook informed that today was the day four years ago (10/11/12) that I started the C25K programme...the following June (2/6/13), I ran the Walled City Marathon in Derry.

Thanks for your advice, Im going to hold out and run the DCM 2017. I have a hotel booked for the night before and I will join the DCM novices thread when it opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

quickbeam wrote: »
    Well, C25K complete!! 30 minutes ran this morning. Yay, I guess :rolleyes:

It's a bit of a hollow achievement for me though, as I feel I'm still so far off the 5km mark.

Well done! The program is badly named, in a sense, although "Couch to 30 minutes running" isn't as catchy I suppose. You shouldn't be down on yourself for not doing 5k in the 30 minutes. You can run for 30 minutes! You couldn't do that 8 weeks ago.

Everybody starts out from a different level, some people will do 5k in 30 minutes in week 8, others still can't quite go that fast a year later, even while they're out training for marathons. You've only to pop in to the training logs section here to see the vast range of different shapes, sizes and speeds of runners. I think it's great if you want to be fitter and faster because it will motivate you to stick with this great sport and keep training, but don't let it demoralise you either. Take the win!

I'd agree with T above, adding 10% each week is the way to go.

I finished week 7 Day 2 today. I found todays run of 25 mins eaier than my 1st run of 8 X 1 minutes. If anyone is starting out or thinking about starting I would highly recommened it. Each run gets a little easier. I would have taught it was impossible for me to run anything more than a minute or 2.

Im 6:4 and when I started I weighed 118.3 kilos (18.62 stone) From running and changing my diet (I actually eat a lot more now just all the right foods) I down to 101 Kilos (15.90 stone)

Mentally I have never felt so good in my life. I never suffered with depression, anxiety etc however I feel much better about myself than I did a few weeks ago, I also have more energy that I did before which is leading me to get more stuff done around the house as well as volunteering with charities.

All this from a free app and eating healthy,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

pcuser wrote: »
    I finished week 7 Day 2 today. I found todays run of 25 mins eaier than my 1st run of 8 X 1 minutes. If anyone is starting out or thinking about starting I would highly recommened it. Each run gets a little easier. I would have taught it was impossible for me to run anything more than a minute or 2.

Im 6:4 and when I started I weighed 118.3 kilos (18.62 stone) From running and changing my diet (I actually eat a lot more now just all the right foods) I down to 101 Kilos (15.90 stone)

Mentally I have never felt so good in my life. I never suffered with depression, anxiety etc however I feel much better about myself than I did a few weeks ago, I also have more energy that I did before which is leading me to get more stuff done around the house as well as volunteering with charities.

All this from a free app and eating healthy,

Brilliant post PC user,really inspiring, congrats on the lifestyle changes and weight loss too . parkruns etc the next step I assume.

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote: »
    parkruns etc the next step I assume.

I had to google a parkrun to see what it was :) There is one every Saturday about 20 mins from me so I will sign up for that.

I have about 4 runs left in the c25k when I have finished that I will start with the 5k to 10 k app. After that il train for a half marathon then a full marathon.

I have booked a hotel for the DCM 2017 :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

pcuser, there's also a thread here for Park Run:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056845042

Well done!!! Did you lose 17 kilos in just 7 weeks, btw? Or did you start a health-plan before starting C25K? That's some loss in that time, if so.

I lost it in about 10 weeks Quickbeam

Wow! I was losing anyway due to change in diet for about a year before C25K. Didn't notice a huge difference while doing the program, still lost at the same rate. I'm impressed (and jealous!!) of yours. Well done!!

In a normal day I would eat

Bran Flakes with Soya Milk and a banana for breakfast.

Some cucumber,tomato lettuce and a tin of tuna or salmon for lunch

For dinner I would have stir fry veg with either fish, veggie burgers, prawns, Linda McCartney sausages, Quorn products.

If it wasnt for the fish I would be vegan. I was drinking 3 litres of milk a day and toast, I have cut all that out. If i get peckish I will have some fruit or nuts. Cutting out the meat seems to have also helped. I still have a cheat day every now and then but nothing maor

• Advertisement

I'm using MyFitnessPal and log everything, so I know I'm not consuming too many calories, and eat healthily. I'm pescetarian too (though fish, quite rarely, so mostly vegetarian), and have cut down on cheese (my one weakness! - I was never much one for chocolate or crisps) over the past year.

I had to google a parkrun to see what it was :) There is one every Saturday about 20 mins from me so I will sign up for that.

I have about 4 runs left in the c25k when I have finished that I will start with the 5k to 10 k app. After that il train for a half marathon then a full marathon.

Definitely worth doing, They are not at all competitive and running in a group is enjoyable plus having a time for a set distance gives you a goal.

Preparing well in advance for DCM , good luck with that .

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

Week 8 Day 1. 28 minutes, whoo-hoo.

This thread has introduced me to the concept of the parkrun, and I find there is one in my town, so that's something to aim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

That sounds like a sensible doable plan pcuser. I am currently doing 10km runs, hope to build up to a half marathon next year, and all going well DCM 2017 might happen for me too. Hopefully we'll both be on the DCM novices thread next year

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Did Week 8 Day 2 yesterday. VERY slowly!

I'll complete Week 8 tomorrow and then for Week 9 Day 1 i'm going to put it down as distance and just run the whole 5 km! It will take me longer than 30 mins but i'm just going to go for it!

gypsylee wrote: »
    That sounds like a sensible doable plan pcuser. I am currently doing 10km runs, hope to build up to a half marathon next year, and all going well DCM 2017 might happen for me too. Hopefully we'll both be on the DCM novices thread next year

As soon as that thread opens im going to sign up. Im also going to follow this plan and aim for 3:15 to 4:00 hours.
    http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/marathon-schedules.pdf

Two 25 min runs this week. On to 30 mins tonight.

Week 8 Day 3 this morning on the way to work. This might sound like a weird questions but........ has it ever happened to anyone else that they got really itchy all over as they were running?

This morning I got really itchy everywhere. My feet, legs, forearms.... everywhere. It was actually torture! The running itself was fine but I was dying to scratch! Has this ever happened to anyone?

Anyway, Friday is the day! 5k! I covered approx 4k this morning in 28 mins. At that pace I can do 5k in 35 mins. So rather than just go for 30 mins i'm going to go for the full 5k. then I guess i'll have technically "graduated" from the programme :)

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Week 8 Day 3 this morning on the way to work. This might sound like a weird questions but........ has it ever happened to anyone else that they got really itchy all over as they were running?

This morning I got really itchy everywhere. My feet, legs, forearms.... everywhere. It was actually torture! The running itself was fine but I was dying to scratch! Has this ever happened to anyone?

Anyway, Friday is the day! 5k! I covered approx 4k this morning in 28 mins. At that pace I can do 5k in 35 mins. So rather than just go for 30 mins i'm going to go for the full 5k. then I guess i'll have technically "graduated" from the programme :)
    Can happen to me if I heat up too quickly. Drive you nuts.

This morning I got really itchy everywhere. My feet, legs, forearms.... everywhere. It was actually torture! The running itself was fine but I was dying to scratch!

Not at all weird . It's just a sign that you are getting fitter.

https://liverunloveyoga.com/2011/10/27/runners-itch-what-causes-those-itchy-legs/

Good luck on Friday .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

Did Week 8 Day 2 yesterday. VERY slowly!

I'll complete Week 8 tomorrow and then for Week 9 Day 1 i'm going to put it down as distance and just run the whole 5 km! It will take me longer than 30 mins but i'm just going to go for it!

I did Week 8 day 2 this evening, and because its been the coldest weather I've been out in, I actually ran a little faster to get a bit of warm blood flowing.

I've only just realized that this thing is a 9 week programme, I assumed it was 10 weeks for some reason. I'll be very interested in how you get on with 5K in week 9, if its really tough. I might try the same on one of the week 9 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Gremlin2011

Week 1 finished! Pat on the back for me I messed up Saturday, I did the 30 day shred and every muscle ached until yesterday. I did the 30 day shred again yesterday and was able to do the last day of C25K w1 today.

Map my run is showing my average as a 12 minute mile. Feck it, it's better than 2 weeks ago - 0 minute mile while sat on the couch all evening!

. Feck it, it's better than 2 weeks ago - 0 minute mile while sat on the couch all evening!

That particular high has lasted into week 8 for me. And I am reaping the real benefits too. Keep at it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Week 1 finished! Pat on the back for me I messed up Saturday, I did the 30 day shred and every muscle ached until yesterday. I did the 30 day shred again yesterday and was able to do the last day of C25K w1 today.

Map my run is showing my average as a 12 minute mile. Feck it, it's better than 2 weeks ago - 0 minute mile while sat on the couch all evening!

Great attitude! There is nothing wrong with 12 minute miles. I was slower when I started out. Anyone starting out on C25k should try to forget about pace altogether. It's irrelevant at this point. Just concentrate on getting through each run, one day at a time, and when you've finished the programme, then it's a good time to review where you are in relation to paces and times and hit a 5k race or Parkrun to get a marker for where you are at.
    Well done for getting started and great idea to post your runs up here as there are many lurkers in the same boat who might join in the discussion! It's great to have a place to chat about it all!!!

I finished week 7 and knew I would be able to run the 5k no problem so I did :) 5.1k in 33:23.

https://www.strava.com/activities/776951130

Il run 2 more 5ks and then start week 9 on the 10k app also by ZenLabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Week 5, run 2 coming up for me tonight.

Eight minute run seems to be a tall order but then I'm thinking that week 5, run 3 involves a 20 minute run!!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I feel like I've been stuck in a time warp on week 3 now, did fine a few weeks ago but missed a week as I was away with work, then the next week I only got out once so I decided to re-do week 3 in its entirety again this week before pushing on. Will finally reach week 4 next week after starting 6 weeks ago :P

Oh and have been reading this thread for weeks now and am finding it a great resource, the advice about slowing down was taken on board and has really removed the hardship/dread from the experience :o

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Will finally reach week 4 next week after starting 6 weeks ago :P

Its still a huge achievement to be fair. If you managed to keep at it for 6 weeks then chances are you will finish the course. Apparently if you are still at it after 4 weeks you have a very high chance of completing it.

BOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!

Freezing this morning but I have Week 9 Day 1 a go. 30 mins straight.

I did what I said I was going to do in previous posts. I set two apps. One was the one I've been using all along. The other, to measure distance. I was going to see how I felt at 30 mins and then hopefully keep going until I had covered 5k.

It was very tough, but I managed to push myself and do the whole 5k. Took me about 38 mins. I'm absolutely chuffed! Two more 5k runs this week and then I'm gonna try 5 to 10 K :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I feel like I've been stuck in a time warp on week 3 now, did fine a few weeks ago but missed a week as I was away with work, then the next week I only got out once so I decided to re-do week 3 in its entirety again this week before pushing on. Will finally reach week 4 next week after starting 6 weeks ago :P

Oh and have been reading this thread for weeks now and am finding it a great resource, the advice about slowing down was taken on board and has really removed the hardship/dread from the experience :o

Great stuff Mick, just keep at it, take your time and before you know it, you will be doing your 5k run at your own pace with no issues. Just take your time and enjoy it :-)

Advertisement