Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

quickbeam wrote: »
    TBH, I can't talk when I run. Maybe I could say "yes" or "no" to a question, but I couldn't string a sentence together. I also, literally, couldn't run any slower, so I'm going with it. It's good info to have at the back of the mind for when I get fitter, but for now I'm ignoring it.

Thast fine quickbeam, those of us here offering advice do so based on our own experienced and what we've leared here and elsewhere. It's totally up to yourself if you want to ignore that advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,929 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The Muppet wrote: »
    Yes Francie , You should be able to ask yourself a question and answer, Thats how you know you are running at easy pace, eventaully you will get quicker and still be able to talk to yourself. Running too fast is acommon mistake we all make by times .

Heres an interesting article on pace

https://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/wrong-long-run-pace/

Fascinating. I did go out this morning thinking I had to push it. Will try slowing it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

TBH, I can't talk when I run. Maybe I could say "yes" or "no" to a question, but I couldn't string a sentence together. I also, literally, couldn't run any slower, so I'm going with it. It's good info to have at the back of the mind for when I get fitter, but for now I'm ignoring it.

Out of curiousity, what is your average pace while running now? I ask this as when I started marathon training, we are asked to run our long runs at what's called an lsr pace (long slow run) and I remember thinking, I cant run this slow, I felt like I was jogging on the spot. It's all relative to where we are of course but I remember Maximus mentioning this at the time too and struggling to slow down but you get used to it quickly.
    I am only mentioning this as you say you couldn't go any slower, maybe you could, I know of a few on strava who are doing 13 min miles until they are more comfortable conversation wise so it might be possible to slow it down until you are more comfortable with the conversation test but obviously you could have already slowed right down and if so, ignore this.

Fascinating. I did go out this morning thinking I had to push it. Will try slowing it down.

It's much more enjoyable and you will improve quicker that running your runs at faster pace . It will have the added benefit of not tiring you out as much and you will be fresher for the next run. Be prepared to think this is way too slow, If you think you cant run this slow shorten your stride. Let us know how it goes for you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

tony1980 wrote: »
    Out of curiousity, what is your average pace while running now? I ask this as when I started marathon training, we are asked to run our long runs at what's called an lsr pace (long slow run) and I remember thinking, I cant run this slow, I felt like I was jogging on the spot. It's all relative to where we are of course but I remember Maximus mentioning this at the time too and struggling to slow down but you get used to it quickly.
    I am only mentioning this as you say you couldn't go any slower, maybe you could, I know of a few on strava who are doing 13 min miles until they are more comfortable conversation wise so it might be possible to slow it down until you are more comfortable with the conversation test but obviously you could have already slowed right down and if so, ignore this.

Much, much slower than that even. 9 mins per km was my fasted split for yesterday's run which was 25 minutes from WK7 Day 3. That's about 14.5 mins per mile, so a full 90 seconds slower than those you mention. But you have to understand, I started this very, very unfit, and carrying a few extra stone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Aye, as Tony says I was running too fast for probably my first 8 months and it was actually counter productive. I picked up a few injuries which forced me to take breaks for weeks here and there, and I was struggling to increase the distance of my runs past 10-12k because of it too.

I genuinely thought I couldn't go any slower, but someone on here told me that it's just about practicing; training your brain to run at that pace. They were right, and once I slowed down I got fitter and faster, because I could run more, I wasn't getting injured, and my endurance improved dramatically. I wish I had listened sooner because I have no doubt I'd be even further along now!

I wouldn't necessarily worry about it too much during C25K because that's going to be tough anyway, it's all new to you. But afterwards, whatever you push on to next, it's something to definitely keep in mind. You should only be running fast once or max twice a week and the rest should be EASY.

Much, much slower than that even. 9 mins per km was my fasted split for yesterday's run which was 25 minutes from WK7 Day 3. That's about 14.5 mins per mile, so a full 90 seconds slower than those you mention. But you have to understand, I started this very, very unfit, and carrying a few extra stone.

Same as yourself. Fast and FrancieBrady have not been used in the same sentence :) - until now!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Went out for Week 7 Day 2 today. It was great. Very tough, but I felt great afterwards.

Could've kept going for the extra 5 mins if I wanted, so I know I can complete the programme if I just keep going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

I started off doing 2 mins walking, 2 mins jogging for 15 minutes. First week I focused on my breathing and posture. Within a month I was able to run for 15 minutes straight with no walking break.

Taking really really deep and slow breaths was the best thing I did. Everything else just came naturally

That's brilliant going QB, Everyone starts from different fitness levels and condition , the lower that is the tougher it can be . Just keep doing what your comfortable doing. There is a lot of science to running and improving aerobic capacity and building endurance but the most important thing for now is the running part . The best of luck with it, its far from easy but the rewards are so worth it.

• Advertisement

Week 6 Day 2 done. 25 mins non stop next! Who'd have thunk it. :)

Completed Week 7.

On Week 7 Day 3, I made a point to take is as slowly as possible. Just kept moving.

I found it so much easier. I was 12 or 13 mins in and it was like i'd hardly started running!

Onto Week 8 now :)

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Completed Week 7.

On Week 7 Day 3, I made a point to take is as slowly as possible. Just kept moving.

I found it so much easier. I was 12 or 13 mins in and it was like i'd hardly started running!

Onto Week 8 now :)

Are you aiming for a 5k event MrS?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

Haven't posted in a while, but I've been reading everybody's posts, they're really helping me be confident I can do this.
    Did week 7 day 1 today.
    Amazingly, today was the first day that I experienced rain, and the coolness was welcome. Weeks ago, a poster assured me that a light rain would be fine - that was so right. I actually felt more like a "real runner" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

I finished week 6 day 3 today and found the 22 minute run quiet easy. Every time I go out it seems to get easier. Im not sure if its stamina building, my diet or both. I slowed down todays run after reading a few posts here.

Are you aiming for a 5k event MrS?

Nope, not at the moment. The day I plan to have Week 9 Day 3 done is the day I go away on a lad's weekend so I won't be doing one that weekend.

But I might do one of those Parkruns before Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Gremlin2011

I did w1d2 today. I wouldn't have done it only for I had read all the advice given here to others for shin splints! My left leg was pretty sore after my first go on Monday but tonight there's not even a twinge. I completely slowed down and shortened my stride.

I hope one day I'll be good enough for the local park run or a 5k event! Some inspiring/motivational people here :)

I hope one day I'll be good enough for the local park run or a 5k event! Some inspiring/motivational people here :)

You will, When I started I had no faith in the app and did not think it would even be possible to jog 10 minutes. My next run is 25 mins and to be honest it gets a bit easier each time.

There are some great success stories here http://www.active.com/running/articles/10-life-changing-stories-and-the-app-that-made-it-all-happen

I did w1d2 today. I wouldn't have done it only for I had read all the advice given here to others for shin splints! My left leg was pretty sore after my first go on Monday but tonight there's not even a twinge. I completely slowed down and shortened my stride.

I agree with pcuser...have faith in the app, meet it's targets and you will get there.

Can I ask the others here how they handle food intake?

I am noticing as the runs get longer that it can really affect how I feel. To the point of feeling ill on a run.

Do you generally eat before or after a run and what time do you leave?

• Advertisement

Feeling a bit under the weather the last few days but decided to brave it and give Week8 Day 1 a go this morning on the way to work.

You guys were right, worrying about pace s a big no-no! My last run was so much easier when I made sure to take it slowly and this one this morning, 28 mins straight, was just as easy. I never at any point felt uncomfortable. Never out of breath… it was great!

I was considerably slower than before on my run today. I covered the same distance this morning in 28 mins than II had in 25 mins last week.

It’s amazing! I never thought I’d get to the point where I could run for 28 mins straight!

I agree with pcuser...have faith in the app, meet it's targets and you will get there.

Can I ask the others here how they handle food intake?

Do you generally eat before or after a run and what time do you leave?

Im up at 08:00 and usually have a cup of tea with soya milk, Around 08:45 il have 2 glasses of water, I usaully run around 09:30. When I come home from the run I have a banana and a bowl of bran flakes with soya milk.

The only time I felt ill was a when I was away for a few days with the wife. I had my dinner from the chipper and ran about 2 hours later. 5 mins in to the run if felt like I was going to vomit. After the run my stomach was cramped and I didnt fell well for the rest of the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Of course you will. I started the couch to 5k app 4 years ago and couldn't get through the very first workout!I stuck at it and I have now ran 2 Marathons and mulitple half marathons/10k/5ks
    btw everyone is good enough for park runs. Even if you can't run the whole way you will still fit in at a park run. No one will bat an eyelid if you have to walk some of it and you will get plenty of encouragement from everyone That's what so great about the park run imo,it doesn't really matter what level you are at.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Gremlin2011

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! I'll wait a while before chancing the park run. I'll stick with the app, I've seen so many having positive experiences with it. It just a case of getting my a**e out there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! I'll wait a while before chancing the park run. I'll stick with the app, I've seen so many having positive experiences with it. It just a case of getting my a**e out there :)

I used to use the park run as one of my C25K sessions each week, just stuck to the plan, let everyone else run off at the start, and I'd start with the walk. It was after about week 5 or 6, so just did it a few times, then did the Park Run each week anyway. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,487 ✭✭✭Penfailed

pcuser wrote: »
    I reckon I have caught the bug, Im seriously considering running the Limerick Marathon on 30/04/2017 I have being looking at this plan http://www.runireland.com/sites/www.runireland.com/files/Training_for_marathon.pdf It seems feasible.
    Honestly, I wouldn't recommend it. It might be physically possible, but that's not a long time to go from the couch to a marathon and I could imagine the outcome being that you'd either be injured, come to hate running, or both. It's a lot of pressure to put on yourself this early on.

There's a lot of running to do between 5k and the marathon and I think if you targeted a half marathon around that time, that would offer a gentler progression and a great sense of achievement in itself. My first half marathon was my favourite race so far. Just my two cents anyway.

My two cents - go for it! My Facebook informed that today was the day four years ago (10/11/12) that I started the C25K programme...the following June (2/6/13), I ran the Walled City Marathon in Derry.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

25 mins ran this evening. Tough final 10 but survived.:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Well, C25K complete!! 30 minutes ran this morning. Yay, I guess :rolleyes:

It's a bit of a hollow achievement for me though, as I feel I'm still so far off the 5km mark.

So, Stage 1 is to run for 30 minutes - complete
    Stage 2 is to run for 5km.
    (Stage 3 is to run for 5km in 30 minutes, but that's something to worry about in the future, not now).

It's hard to tell as my MapMyRun app total distance includes my warm up and cool down walks, but I reckon I ran about 3.2km today. I had figured I'd build up to 5km by adding 0.5km per week to my runs - so next week my three runs would be 3.5km, the week after 4km, and in four weeks' time I'd have run 5km.

How does that plan sound? It feels daunting to me, as I feel I don't really have that much more I can give. Maybe on Monday, when it comes time to head out, I'll feel more optimistic about the prospect though.

Or would anybody have a different plan to suggest? Maybe spend a few weeks just running 30 minutes and becoming more comfortable with that?

Don't suggest Park Run. I will do it one day, but only when I can do 5km in a reasonable time. I volunteered at one recently and the slowest runner was in at 35 minutes, so I'm self-conscious enough about running without being 10-15 minutes after everybody else. I will continue to volunteer though.

Well, C25K complete!! 30 minutes ran this morning. Yay, I guess :rolleyes:

It's a bit of a hollow achievement for me though, as I feel I'm still so far off the 5km mark.

So, Stage 1 is to run for 30 minutes - complete
    Stage 2 is to run for 5km.
    (Stage 3 is to run for 5km in 30 minutes, but that's something to worry about in the future, not now).

It's hard to tell as my MapMyRun app total distance includes my warm up and cool down walks, but I reckon I ran about 3.2km today. I had figured I'd build up to 5km by adding 0.5km per week to my runs - so next week my three runs would be 3.5km, the week after 4km, and in four weeks' time I'd have run 5km.

How does that plan sound? It feels daunting to me, as I feel I don't really have that much more I can give. Maybe on Monday, when it comes time to head out, I'll feel more optimistic about the prospect though.

Or would anybody have a different plan to suggest? Maybe spend a few weeks just running 30 minutes and becoming more comfortable with that?

Don't suggest Park Run. I will do it one day, but only when I can do 5km in a reasonable time. I volunteered at one recently and the slowest runner was in at 35 minutes, so I'm self-conscious enough about running without being 10-15 minutes after everybody else. I will continue to volunteer though.

Well done quickbeam. They say you should only increase distance by 10% . Instead of increasing all your runs 0.5 k you might consider increasing one of you runs by 10% . So next week you would have 2 x 30 minute runs and a final 33 minute run . Then the next week add another 10% to the final run building distance gradually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

A question for anyone who runs on a treadmill versus outside... Do you find one of the two easier? I prefer running outside but find the treadmill keeps me more honest.

When I'm outside I find I'm glad of the excuse to stop and cross the road whereas on the treadmill I can put in the effort without the need to stop at any point over the 5k. Don't get me wrong I'm pretty tired at the end of it but I manage it without the thought of stopping. Bar one hill my outside run is pretty flat and from the advice on here I'm trying to keep my pace down (not that I have much of a choice at this point!)

My gym has a few of the self propelled treadmills. Perhaps my next step should be them to see if I am fooling myself with my treadmill effort!

Advertisement