Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭confusedeire

Def not running hard more a quite fast walk .... soon though I will run harder and faster ha ha ha! Thanks very much

Ya my running pace is nearly the same as my walking pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭caitrionaanne

Hey all!! So my 10k is coming up now on Sunday and im sooo not ready! Have never ran more than 5k and im pretty slow!! Any tips for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

A nice easy pace might see you through. I don't wish to be negative but I think you'll find the move from 5 k to 10k in one go tough going . Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Hey all!! So my 10k is coming up now on Sunday and im sooo not ready! Have never ran more than 5k and im pretty slow!! Any tips for me?

Best of luck today Caitrionaanne! I hope you do well. I did my 5k with Ray D'Arcy and Spar and finished it. I managed to run it all even though I had only covered 3.5k before that in 30 minutes. I was very slow but delighted I did it. So go you!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭caitrionaanne

Hi guys!! The Muppet was right! I wasnt gonna be able to run 10k but i did run about half and speed walked the rest!!! Doing another one in 2 weeks so can build on that! I loved it though, great atmosphere!!
    Well done happyday! I bet you felt great after that achievement!

• Advertisement

Well done Anne on the run .
    I'm a recent (20 months on and off) c25k disciple myself and I'm currently building up on distance so I know how tough it is to get from 5 to. 10 k and further it just takes time on the road with gradual increases , you'll know yourself when you can add a little distance .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

It took me a month of running 5k thrice a week after finishing the program before I suddenly ran 6k. I think it was because I had no program to follow any more and so nothing forcing me to push myself. I would recommend moving to a 10k program in order to step it up.

Well done though for getting out there and having a crack at the 10k!

I tried a 10k program after the couch to 5k last year and I failed on it to the extent I didn't run for 4 months . I put that down to the easy runs on the program being too short to prepare me for the longer weekend run. It just didn't work for me.

I stated back in January this year and build to 5 k again. I run four or five times a week with my shortest run being 5 k and my longest at the moment 12k just by gradually adding distance on the days I felt strong enough to do so . I do 4 mile and 5 mile and a longer run each week. I'm not advocating that for anyone's else. It's just what is working for me so far . I have to learn to slow down for my Longer runs as I all my runs are at the one pace which is around 10 minute miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

I finished the C25K programme a few weeks ago and now I'm just doing the 30 minute runs 3 times a week and going a little further each time. My speed is improving without me forcing it to. Today I did 3.86 km in the 30 minutes. I'll keep working on it till I can get closer to doing 5 k in that time. I did move onto the 10k programme the last time I finished the 5k one and found it strange to go back to doing 10 mins at a time again and then I stopped for months. Back at it again now though!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭themom

Hi everyone

I am hoping to start this week on C25K.I started it last year but gave up after a couple of weeks but realy want to try again.

I think all this marathon talk has got me hungry for it!If I was able to run 5k I would feel like I had run a marathon :)

So am looking for something with music,can anyone send me in the right direction?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I listened to the NHS c25k program, so that is generic music playing, dunno what the songs were and a girl saying how much you've done and talking to you at the different stage. Was pretty good.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

Apart from that I just pick an upbeat playlist from youtube and play it on um phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭confusedeire

themom wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I am hoping to start this week on C25K.I started it last year but gave up after a couple of weeks but realy want to try again.

I think all this marathon talk has got me hungry for it!If I was able to run 5k I would feel like I had run a marathon :)

So am looking for something with music,can anyone send me in the right direction?
    I listened to the NHS c25k program, so that is generic music playing, dunno what the songs were and a girl saying how much you've done and talking to you at the different stage. Was pretty good.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

Apart from that I just pick an upbeat playlist from youtube and play it on um phone.

i 2nd the c25k podcast. i only completed the program last week or the week before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

themom wrote: »
    Hi everyone

Funny you should say that, I was just popping in to say something similar. I posted in here back in April that I was starting C25K and I got almost half way through C25K and through two 5K organised runs when my ankle gave out. It was swollen for about three weeks and then I did something to my back. Tonight was the first time I went back to running since May. It was so tough to get the motivation to get back out there. I'm glad I did it even though I really really really hate running. The only downside was that I tried a new C25K app and I didn't like it. Fingers crossed I'll make it through the whole program this time.

Best of luck themom about getting back out there! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭AllWasWell

Hi everyone, I just started the couch to 5k today, and did my first workout. When I looked at the app after, it didn't log my details. It just said I had completed the workout but it didn't log my distance. I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix this? My GPS is enabled for the app and my 3G and location services were turned on.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

AllWasWell wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I just started the couch to 5k today, and did my first workout. When I looked at the app after, it didn't log my details. It just said I had completed the workout but it didn't log my distance. I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix this? My GPS is enabled for the app and my 3G and location services were turned on.
    Thanks!

If you're using the same c25k app I used it doesn't have the mapping capabilities. You'd need to download a separate app like Map My Run for that.

Best of luck with the running!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Hi folks, on Week 8 day 2 of the programme, using the active.com android paid app and Spotify playlists. Doing OK logged a 4.95 distance last time round. Hope to enter a 5k run soon.
    My question is, as I have been using a local athletics track for all my training, will road running be a lot lot tougher? I should point out that I'm not what you would call the picture of health, a bit short and a bit heavy and early into my 4th decade on the earth. Been following the Operation Transformation programme, subbing their 0 to 5k with the C25K programme and making good progress. Down 12kg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

flazio wrote: »
    Hi folks, on Week 8 day 2 of the programme, using the active.com android paid app and Spotify playlists. Doing OK logged a 4.95 distance last time round. Hope to enter a 5k run soon.
    My question is, as I have been using a local athletics track for all my training, will road running be a lot lot tougher? I should point out that I'm not what you would call the picture of health, a bit short and a bit heavy and early into my 4th decade on the earth. Been following the Operation Transformation programme, subbing their 0 to 5k with the C25K programme and making good progress. Down 12kg.

Well done for getting to Week 8! You must be nearly there!

Yes it will be different alright. The track is completely flat and very few races are completely flat. Best to get out there on the road/paths/parks for some training before you do the race.
    If you have a Parkrun near you that'd be a great way to do a few 5ks without have the pressure of a 'real' race to worry about plus they're free!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Thanks for the advice. It's not so much the "racing " rather then the achievement of getting to the finish line. Don't care how many are ahead or behind me. Park runs a bit sparse in the midlands. Might try the Galway one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Assuming this thread is still active even though it is almost a month since the last post.
    I am thinking of giving the couch to 5k a go. From reading a lot of the other post here it seems my goal might be a little different than some others going for the challenge. None the less I feel it is a good challenge to set for myself. I will leave a break down of my own personal motivations and goals, to a training log when I begin this program.
    Now for my questions. Hope it is okay to post them here instead of starting a new thread.
    What programs are most people using. Is the NHS one the most popular.
    How are keeping tracking their distances, how useful are these apps, can they track distance over time, in a graph format.
    I don't want to push my running pace too fast, too early because the increased duration of therunning intervals some weeks seem really large.
    Currently my walking pace is reasonably fast I would say, but can't run for much more than a minute if that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I used the NHS choices ones, found them good. If I was doing it again I'd try the zombies, run 5k app for fun.
    I used endomondo to jkeep track of how far I ran, so I would start the audo and the app at the same time and run. it shows route, speed, distance etc.
    If the running intervals seem too big just jog very slowly, just keeping going is the main thing. You improve fast at it as long as you do your rest days.

• Advertisement

I used the NHS choices ones, found them good. If I was doing it again I'd try the zombies, run 5k app for fun.
    I used endomondo to jkeep track of how far I ran, so I would start the audo and the app at the same time and run. it shows route, speed, distance etc.
    If the running intervals seem too big just jog very slowly, just keeping going is the main thing. You improve fast at it as long as you do your rest days.

My phone is andoid. Do I need an apple device to play the NHS couch to 5k files. Are the programs you have suggested available on android.

Yeah I have an android, they are all on android. The NHS files were jsut audio files I downloaded from their site and put on my phone.
    http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Couch-to-5K-running-plan.aspx

Okay downloaded the first week of the "nhs couch to 5k" as well as endomondo. Started the audio file and then the app immediately after. The file crashed but, I got it going again after about a minute other it went pretty well. I struggled a bit with the 2nd to last run, started to get a stitch in my stomach. Guess I ran too soon after eating. I was just really keen to start after being sick the last week or so.
    First session
    8 minutes running according to nhs app
    Total time 32:20 (endomondo)
    Distance 4.49km (endomondo)
    Delighted to be honest. Would like to see a 25 minute 5k before entering a run. I am sure I might get slated by some being ambitious, but I am gluttonous for some punishment.
    Log to follow.

Well done, keep it up, :)
    make sure to have the rest days or you will get injured. And don't run too fast either straight away. Great going!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Started back running last week. Used to bike and run a three years ago but youngest was very ill so put everything into him. Now he is doing ok I am back running again. Bloody tough getting into it.

Run one (Wed morning) - Dublin Canal and back to Grantham Street
    4.3km Distance
    26:20 Moving Time
    6:01/km Pace

Legs felt sore the day after but went on a shorter run the evening after for run two (Thurs Evening):
    2.8km Distance
    17:22 Moving Time
    6:10/km Pace

Rest for the weekend and back out on Monday Morning - Legs no where near as heavy for run three
    4.4km Distance
    25:07 Moving Time
    5:35/km Pace

Felt great and went again this morning for fourth run;
    4.6km Distance
    26:21 Moving Time
    5:40/km Pace

Pace is getting better - but really getting into it now.

Goals;
    5km - currently 4.7km - i think there is a difference between mapmyrun and strava as MMR route was 5km but Strava clocked me at 4.7km - Anyone find this?
    Sub 25min 5k (mid May)- running 4.7k @ 26.21 this morning
    Sub 23min 5k (end June) - tough pace but think i can manage it
    =< 4.45 for a 1k split

Longer term
    Build to a 7.5k
    onto 10k
    No time frame on above yet.

Feedback on the above most welcome and I am running on Mon - Wed - Fri morning 7am if anyone is around town

Strava link https://www.strava.com/athletes/121538
    OR
    I am on the Nike+ site but unsure how to share this profile to join friends and routes etc... PM if you want to link up on Nike+

In any case hope to see some fellow runners on the street.

Cheers ;-)

@BrookieD. I have not seen any previous logs, by you, I am new enough to the running forum. From what I can see you certainly have the endurance at the moment. Going by your pace for the runs you have posted, you only need to shave two minutes off your 5k time. 25 minute 5k looks achievable from where I am standing. Looks like you have a pretty solid base there. What times, distances were you running, when you stopped 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

@BrookieD. I have not seen any previous logs, by you, I am new enough to the running forum. From what I can see you certainly have the endurance at the moment. Going by your pace for the runs you have posted, you only need to shave two minutes off your 5k time. 25 minute 5k looks achievable from where I am standing. Looks like you have a pretty solid base there. What times, distances were you running, when you stopped 3 years ago.

thanks - Never done any logs before.. might look into setting one up though... To be honest i was not keeping much of an eye on them - I was mostly on the bike as when running i was hitting 3k and my shins were in bits... was very concerned this would happen again but there grand... putting it down to proper running shoes and not generic rubbish.

also 3 yrs ago i think it was more endurance training on the bike as i was going 50km several times a week to and from work. running was just an add on...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

For anyone who has used the Couch to 5k® app, how does it work in regards to distance? Does it track you and after 2.5km say something like, okay turn around?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

marko93 wrote:
    For anyone who has used the Couch to 5k® app, how does it work in regards to distance? Does it track you and after 2.5km say something like, okay turn around?

I can't remember exactly but I think it tells you that you're at the half way mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    I can't remember exactly but I think it tells you that you're at the half way mark.

That's perfect then, never done anything like this before, so wouldn't have a clue about a 5km route to do it on.

Advertisement