Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Ran Wk6D3 today (was unable to fit it in yesterday as I was away) - it went well, I was absolutely wrecked immediately after it, but fine now :D (Suppose my stamina might be improving somewhat). Layout: 5 min warm-up, 15 min run, 3 min walk, 5 min run and a 5 min cool-down.

After the 15 min run I felt a strain in my right calf but once I stopped running, it was perfectly fine :confused:

I thought I was fatigued for the 5 min segment, but on reflection now, I was actually fine - very much a voice in my head wanting me to stop... But I persevered ;) and that moment of triumph when I finished was like no other.

Have a straight 20 min run in next session, slightly nervous that I won't be able for it, but will give it a lash anyhow.... Will probably do it Wednesday or Thursday.

Also think I might invest in a foam roller for to stretch out my calves/thigh muscles now that the timing has lengthened.

How much do foam rollers usually retail for? Or is there any make or model anyone would recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Congratulations on completing week 6. Of course you will be able to run for 20 minutes, you all ready have but with a small break in the middle.

Just keep it nice and slow, you've faced down the metal challenge to stop which as you say is all in the head and for me that was the moment i realised i could complete the program.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭not_quite_last

So after taking a week off to rest my knee, completed last week fine - including the 20 minute run on Saturday.
    Onto Week 6 and did the first 5 minute run fine, but at the end of the 8 minute run my calf decided it had enough for the day! :-( This is just getting seriously frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

It's me again...long time no post :)

Have been taking a break from the programme the past week as I had a pain in my left foot (in and around the 1st metatarsal bone). As it happens, it was from not wearing my insoles (laziness on my part, but rectified now).

I have completed Week 7 pretty much aside from day 3 - the 25 minute run. Back today and did a 22 minute run as opposed to 25, just to ease myself back in after a week. I was afraid my fitness levels/ stamina would have dwindled with the break, but everything seems ok.

Just need to focus on my breathing flow again, was spluttering a bit not because of speed or breathlessness or even tiredness, just because I felt 'I needed to cough' - kinda weird to explain. Didn't help nor hinder my run though, but just annoying. Advice in this article seems good but would take other advice or recommendations if anyone has anything. Thanks

Over and out.
    - Teapot

P.S. Coming into week 8, the last week of the programme, this week...how time has flown. :) Looking forward to hitting that 5k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Hi all, a noob here.

I started the program on monday of this week, having never ran/jogged before in my life. Days 1 & 2 were hard but I was going too fast; I slowed down for the day 3 and it was much easier.

Due to my schedule this week, I decided to start week 2 today and it was terrible - I could only jog for the complete 90 seconds for 2 out of the 6 sessions.

The main question I'm getting at is, should I always be struggling when I start a new week?! Or should I have waited until Monday to start week 2 (my original plan was mon, wed & fri of each week), did I leave enough recovery time between week 1 and 2.

Thanks for any advice!

• Advertisement

I think you should stick to the plan especially if starting out from a low level of fitness , an extra days rest between weeks might make a big difference and even more so if you ran your first two days too quickly .

If you find a week too tough you can alwas repeat the previous week.

I'm gonna try week 2 day 2 on tuesday, if I'm having the same trouble, I'll go back to week 1.

Is there any food/snacks that would be particularly helpful while doing this?

I'm gonna try week 2 day 2 on tuesday, if I'm having the same trouble, I'll go back to week 1.

Is there any food/snacks that would be particularly helpful while doing this?

Try a bananna an hour or so before your run.

Good luck

I stayed clear of week 2 this week, I ended up starting from the start again, yesterday. I'm just gonna keep plugging away at week 1 until I can build up some muscle strength. The new plan is W1D2 tomorrow, have a rest for the weekend and back to W1D1 on monday. I'm hoping to move onto week 2 the following week. (week 3 since I started it!!)

I didn't realise how out of shape I was until I undertook this!

Sounds like you are taking a sensible approach to it which IMO gives the best results in the long run . I've seen plenty jumping ahead on the plan in the first few weeks and blow up as the runs get longer.

It's not easy when starting from a low Fitness level but it is definitely worth it keep at it nice and slow and the rewards will come.

A lot of us here have been exactly where you are now, keep us informed of your progress.

• Advertisement

Finally onto week 2!

I completed day 1 earlier on and I have to say I'm not as sore as I thought I'd be. Last week was agony, due to doing a couple of things I didn't need to do or doing them incorrectly! Thank God for Nurofen and ice packs!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

Hi everyone! I did week 2 day 1 today. I've started so many times and never finished so hopefully I will actually persist. Need to find somewhere to run for when I'm back to college but I'm hoping I will make the full 8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Just finished week 2 and have been reading this thread for the last two weeks as well for tips and motivation. I have to say I'm loving it so far. Can't wait to go out again.

I thought I'd find today tough because I was out last night but got through it pretty well. Got a terrible cramp in my foot/calf on the last run which I'd say was because I was dehydrated after last night but kept going. My knees are finding it the toughest though. Nothing dabilitating but stiff in the morning and if I've been sitting for a while. Hopefully they'll get used to it soon!

I completed week 2 but am going to repeat it next week; I'm definitely not ready for week 3 yet!

I was getting cramps on the last days run in my right calf; I put it down to the large amount of time I spend driving. A stretch seemed to sort it out and make it bearable.

Week 3 day 1 today and I found it pretty tough. Haven't run since last Sunday because of a combination of being really late at work and really sore knees. Not sure if the knee stiffness is because I've gone from pretty much no exercise to running/walking for 3.5k three days a week or because of shoe/gait issues. Thinking about gait analysis but from reading about it for every person who says its great there is someone who says its rubbish.

bee06 wrote: »
    Week 3 day 1 today and I found it pretty tough. Haven't run since last Sunday because of a combination of being really late at work and really sore knees. Not sure if the knee stiffness is because I've gone from pretty much no exercise to running/walking for 3.5k three days a week or because of shoe/gait issues. Thinking about gait analysis but from reading about it for every person who says its great there is someone who says its rubbish.

I only had my gait analysis done a few months ago .I've been running 2.5 years. I got it done in elverys it was free so there's nothing to lose by having it done . I always wondered about my gait especially if I had a niggle . Now I know I have a neutral stride and running shoes to match . t's one less thing to blame the niggles on .

I used to wear those neoprene knee supports when I started . I had knee problems when I played football in my teens but nothing serious since I started running. I think the supports we re a sort of mental crutch as I expected my knees to give me problems but touch wood do far they have stood up well with no real issues .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Its important to get your gait analysis done by people who know what theyre doing. Shops like The Run Hub, Amphibian King & Run Logic are run by runners & all excellent. The analysis is free.

Thanks for the comments but I'm in Cork. There are two places that do gait analysis and both have had bad feedback on here and I think charge if you don't buy runners when you get it done. I'll try Elverys though the next time I'm in Kerry.

I finished week 2 last weekend but only did week 3 day 1 today as college started back. It was harder but I'll try to keep it up during the week as well. Just wondering if it's essential to do 3 days only per week or could I just leave a day or two between each run? For example doing W2D3 on Tuesday and then starting week 3 on Thursday or Friday..
    Also I've never gotten a gait analysis done. I got my runners in Elvery's and didn't find them to be of much help to me - just pushed insoles when I said I already had special orthotics for me. What are the benefits of getting a gait analysis done?

Wanderer41 wrote: »
    I finished week 2 last weekend but only did week 3 day 1 today as college started back. It was harder but I'll try to keep it up during the week as well. Just wondering if it's essential to do 3 days only per week or could I just leave a day or two between each run? For example doing W2D3 on Tuesday and then starting week 3 on Thursday or Friday..

I'm a bit confused by what you mean by this but the only "rule" really for couch to 5k is to leave a day or 2 between your runs so you can recover. It doesn't matter if your c25k weeks don't follow calendar weeks as long as you get your rest days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I'm a bit confused by what you mean by this but the only "rule" really for couch to 5k is to leave a day or 2 between your runs so you can recover. It doesn't matter if your c25k weeks don't follow calendar weeks as long as you get your rest days.

Pretty much how, I took it up, when you are sedentary for prolonged periods of time it is crucial that activity is built up gradually especially in the beginning stages. C25K is for people who have not exercised in years vs months or weeks, who have more developed systems.

Finished week 3 today! Happy I've made it this far. The 3 minute runs were harder but I think I'll try W4D1 and if it's too hard I'll just go back to week 3.

Edit: Just looked at W4D1.. it terrifies me! :eek:

I'm gonna attempt W3D1 tomorrow, I've been at it for 3 weeks now but I think (hope) I'm able for it. There just seems to be new pains with each bit of progress I make!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I'm gonna attempt W3D1 tomorrow, I've been at it for 3 weeks now but I think (hope) I'm able for it. There just seems to be new pains with each bit of progress I make!

If it's real actual pain you're feeling and it feels like you may be doing damage there is no harm in getting a physio to look at you.
    Aches on the other hand are very normal however... par for the course when you're starting out. They'll lessen as you become more experienced however.

You could try running on grass or trails to minimise impact, and ensure you have a good properly fitted pair of runners and run as slowly as necessary to complete the running sections. Also take 2 or 3 days between training days if you feel you need to. If you keep it up you could invest in a foam roller as these are great to iron out any niggles.
    Good luck and keep it up!

Trust the program! You can do it. I posted here last week that I was having knee pain and I spoke to my sister who does crossfit. She told me sometimes knee/joint pain can be because the muscles aren't strong enough and they're pulling on ligaments. She gave me a foam roller which I've been using every day and I've been doing some leg exercises as well and my knees are back to normal. Try the foam roller for a few days but if it doesn't make a difference see a physio (more sisterly advice).

I had the knee pain after the 2nd or 3rd week but it went away; it's pain in the lower section of my calves now but usually a nurofen and some frozen peas will make the pain go away entirely.

EDIT: I apply the frozen peas to the sore spot, I don't consume them with the nurofen!

Are you stretching properly? Try the foam roller. Nurofen after every run isn't a great solution long term.

7 as well for the auld hamstrings .

They are the three I do anyway .

• Advertisement

I don't have any trouble with the upper part of my legs (or haven't yet!), it's all been in the shins, calves or knees.

I spent a little longer stretching the calve muscles earlier on and found the run a lot easier, definitely not as sore now as with the previous few runs.

W3D1 done, only 7 weeks to get to it!!

Advertisement