Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

elsy wrote: »
    Eefmums I didnt do much better 43 min 40 seconds ive done all my runs on a threadmill so far so was a shock to the system how much harder it was I ran most of it but did have to slow down to a walking pace a couple of times for a minute or 2 to catch my breath. But sure we did it and over time we'll improve on it. Im going to register for the 5k on 20th march only way ill get better is to do more. Going to start running outside at least twice a week fŕom now on.

I'm regging for that now too!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

elsy wrote: »
    But sure we did it and over time we'll improve on it.
    That's the best way to look at it - you've got a month of good training before the next one, and now you've got a time to beat too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

elsy & eefums give yerselfs a pat on the back! dont be so hard on yourselves... yeah made the effort, turned up and you ran... RAN ... how fabulous are yea.. .did the 5K myself this morning 41mins 14seconds... now i have a benchmark to improve on... also going to do the 5K on 20th March!

Have to say that my legs wont do stairs today!! god only knows what i will be like tomorrow :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

W5D3 done this morning. I can't believe I'm saying this but it was fine. I even kept going after the end for a bit longer. This programme is really worthwhile and I'm feeling great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Week one complete. Happy enough with it, although the 'brisk pace' between runs gets quite slow. I'm a bit scared of the 90 second runs next week though! :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

[HTML][/HTML]
    eefums wrote: »
    just did the 5k fun run in the park. was so so so tough. managed my 25 min run for week 6 run 3 but very ittle extra after that. came in at a disappointing 44m40sec but onwards and upwards, a ong way from jsut 6 weeks ago:(

You did GREAT!
    Dont say disapointing..could you have done this 6/7 weeks ago?
    WELL DONE!! :D

Btw a great book is "No need for Speed" by John Bingham and really is all about focusing on your acheivements.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I did w5d3! I really did it! ran for 20 mins!
    then 2 mins of sprinting after 2min warm down!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

[HTML][/HTML]
    bluewolf wrote: »
    I did w5d3! I really did it! ran for 20 mins!
    then 2 mins of sprinting after 2min warm down!!

WELL DONE!
    Best feeling for me doing c25k...enjoy it!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That particular workout kinda breaks through a mental barrier for a lot of people. While you're still doing the intervals, it sounds so daunting, but once it's done there's a real sense of "I can really do this" and it's a great feeling.

That particular workout kinda breaks through a mental barrier for a lot of people. While you're still doing the intervals, it sounds so daunting, but once it's done there's a real sense of "I can really do this" and it's a great feeling.

Yeah, it was seriously psychological.
    I had to make myself think about lots of things, anything but my legs :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

W5 D3 - 20 Minute Run - FAIL !!! :mad:

Every excuse under the sun but it still ranks as a fail...

Had built myself up going out that I would do it but was fit to stop after about 3 minutes. Kept it going for exactly 15 minutes (2.48km) but honestly had no more. Could have gone again for a small bit once I had walked for another minute or two but decided against it as I want to do it all in one go.

Excuses: I'm on nights at the moment, got called out of bed due to visitors after 4 hours sleep, had zero nutrition since 6 this morning other than cups of tea and was overdressed for the run and sweating too much.
    They're my excuses and I'm sticking to them!!!

Positives: That's the longest continuous run I've done since 1985 and I'm convinced that I can do it now. Out again on Tuesday and I'll make sure I'm prepared for it!!! The failure is annoying me now but I will beat it!!

Now, cup of tea and a fag... Feel better already :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

had zero nutrition since 6 this morning other than cups of tea

You ran 15 minutes on no fuel? How?? :eek:

If you can do that, then 20 minutes with fuel will pose no difficulty whatsoever ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

Kept it going for exactly 15 minutes (2.48km)

Hi Twowheelsonly
    I just want to say that in my experience I think you are running too fast??
    Try slowing it down, at that rate your running about 6 mins per K, try slowing it way down to 8 mins or more. Build up your distance at a slow pace then when uyou have reach your 5k, start thinking about speed.

And you really do need some fuel before had!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭eefums

Every excuse under the sun but it still ranks as a fail...

Had built myself up going out that I would do it but was fit to stop after about 3 minutes. Kept it going for exactly 15 minutes (2.48km) but honestly had no more. Could have gone again for a small bit once I had walked for another minute or two but decided against it as I want to do it all in one go.

Excuses: I'm on nights at the moment, got called out of bed due to visitors after 4 hours sleep, had zero nutrition since 6 this morning other than cups of tea and was overdressed for the run and sweating too much.
    They're my excuses and I'm sticking to them!!!

Positives: That's the longest continuous run I've done since 1985 and I'm convinced that I can do it now. Out again on Tuesday and I'll make sure I'm prepared for it!!! The failure is annoying me now but I will beat it!!

Now, cup of tea and a fag... Feel better already :D

I reckon if you slwed your pace down a little bit then you may be able to run for longer? 2.5km in 15 mins seems really fast for a newbie. maybe im worng but try slwoing your pace downa it maybe and you will get the stamina?

Snap to above think we were writing at same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

W5D2 done... was hard coz my legs were still sore after 5K on sat.. but i did it.. have registered for 5K on 20th March ... am trying not to think of the 20 minute run on Wed... but i can see everyone else is managing it so i guess i will too!

Ramette wrote: »
    W5D2 done... was hard coz my legs were still sore after 5K on sat.. but i did it.. have registered for 5K on 20th March ... am trying not to think of the 20 minute run on Wed... but i can see everyone else is managing it so i guess i will too!

You'll get there, it's a total mental barrier!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pttqFUviWs

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

Ha ha, such a great movie! I think about it all the time when I'm out doing my slow and careful plodding along the pavements as lycra-clad superfit runners whizz by!! Lol, Simon Pegg is my inspiration. Am gonna channel him the whole way to 20th March 5k :D

w6d1 done!
    Went a good bit faster today so in total I did cover about 4km I think.
    Killed me and I had to take a few 10-20second breaks but I did it.
    Did an all-out sprint for an extra minute at the end, I love that part :D

I cant believe this is my 6th week already!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

Week 7 d2 done found it hard as my legs still tired after Saturdays 5k so had to do it at a slower pace but did it

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

Love it thanks for posting the clip. Im dying to see that movie again now im running!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Ramette wrote: »

Not everyone.... :o lol..

Thanks to the others for the comments re my 'failure' BTW.
    To be honest, I do think that it was exhaustion after a few hectic days (and nights) and it just caught up with me.
    Re slowing my pace down - I tried but I didn't feel that I could go any slower without walking!!
    I'll be out again tomorrow night, Mrs is resuming week 4 after missing out due to a chest cold all last week. I WILL do it tomorrow.... Really!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Moman

Wk3 Day1 Completed!
    i am also trying not to think too far ahead :eek:

what do you use to determine the distance run? wouldnt mind finding out the kms i am doing each week

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Cheapest option is mapmyrun.com

Or you could have a look in a local park, sometimes they have a route with km markers.

Moman wrote: »
    Wk3 Day1 Completed!
    i am also trying not to think too far ahead :eek:

what do you use to determine the distance run? wouldnt mind finding out the kms i am doing each week

I just use google maps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Confused2011

Oh I love this thread! I completed week 5 on Saturday mentally I wasn't prepared at all as I was dreading it all week but thanks to this thread i did it! You guys are a great inspiration!

On a negative note I failed to do w 6 d1 yesterday ( ran the first 5 could only do 4 mins of the 8 and then 3 of the last 5) It was my first time doing a run outside ( i was on the beach ) is running outside that much tougher than the Threadmill? I did my first spin and core workout too on Sunday I'm thinking that might have affected me too!

I would say running on the sand is harder than on a treadmill, because the ground is moving beneath you and you lose energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Moman

Thanks lads
    On the google maps idea , is there a tool to measure the distance
    or was my piece of string on the monitor multiplied by scale option the best (accurate)? :D
    if so my route works out just over 3.5km , though im on wk3 and not running all of it yet ,can always increase it as i end up running more

On google maps, click Get Directions. Set the start and end points of your run, and choose Walking (instead of by car!) You might have to drag the midpoints around a bit to have it match your route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

Moman ; I used to mapmyrun.com. Its very easy to use .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I did the OT 5K last Saturday myself and it was tough after that hill. Until that point it wasn't too bad but the hill and afterwards really took it out of me. I stuttered across the finish line in 42 minutes 18 seconds although I managed to jog the whole thing and not walk at all and I wasn't last. Good to have done it but feel a bit down that I was so slow.

I just did another 5K there now around the park where I usually run. I was 1 minute faster than Saturday but there was no hill so I really should have been quicker than that. Plus my knee was f*****g with me again after being grand on Saturday. Very annoying.

Advertisement