Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boots to offer morning after pill without prescription - thoughts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Its about time.
    Ive used it 3 times. Luckily ive been in England for all of them, so didnt have to go to doctors.
    Its £20 in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 haveablast

Does anyone know if they have actually launched the service in store yet? Nothing on their website about it.

www.boots.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

They never update their Irish website,most stuff on it is over a year old.think in store service started Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I asked a pharmacist about it in Boots on Grafton St today.

- It's 45 euro for the pill plus a consultation (which is compulsory)

- You have to be over eighteen to purchase it

- You can only buy it when you need it, rather than buying it to have a 'just in case' one at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I asked a pharmacist about it in Boots on Grafton St today.

- It's 45 euro for the pill plus a consultation (which is compulsory)

- You have to be over eighteen to purchase it

- You can only buy it when you need it, rather than buying it to have a 'just in case' one at home.

How can they prove that "you need it"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

How can they prove that "you need it"?

They'll make you take it in the consultation room, you won't be able to bring it home with you

They'll make you take it in the consultation room, you won't be able to bring it home with you

This is true. The consultant will observe you taking the pill and give you many pamphlets on it.

@pika - does the €45 include the consultation fee or is that extra and, if so, how much does that cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

@pika - does the €45 include the consultation fee or is that extra and, if so, how much does that cost?

The woman said it was 45 euro for both and that you had to have the consultation to be allowed to have the pill.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

i'm glad they do this so people don't stock up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Janicus

serenacat wrote: »
    i'm glad they do this so people don't stock up!

I agree, But I am amazed that it has taken so long for them to offer this service, People are have sex at younger and younger ages these days. Also accidents happen.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭ORLY?

I'm going to disagree with nearly everyone so far. I've made a somewhat similar argument in some other thread here. Before I continue I'll first declare that I am a medical student, no doubt some will use this fact to rubbish the argument as protectionism but hey.

We all have or have heard of stories of "I was in 90 seconds and paid 50 quid etc". This may happen. Sometimes depending on the patient, on the circumstances and how well the GP knows them, this may be all that is really required. Also, as with any job there will probably be some people working in it that just don't give a crap.

But there are cases where people really don't know how to use contraception properly and need to be advised, people don't realise that they have exposed themselves to various diseases, people may have been coerced into sex or raped, or the event may be a signal of more serious health issues going on underneath. These things need to be investigated and discussed.

Sure, all these things could potentially be discussed with a pharmacist, but are pharmacists really trained to do this and is the pharmacy the right setting. They would say yes I think, I would say no. How many sexual histories does a pharmacist take? How many alcohol abuse histories? How often do they screen for depression? GPs (experienced and good ones) have seen and heard it all and are used to dealing with sensitive subjects in one on one settings. Also if some further consultation or investigation is required they can do it or refer to the appropriate party.

These are some of the reasons that I don't think it's a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

ORLY? wrote: »
    I'm going to disagree with nearly everyone so far. I've made a somewhat similar argument in some other thread here. Before I continue I'll first declare that I am a medical student, no doubt some will use this fact to rubbish the argument as protectionism but hey.

We all have or have heard of stories of "I was in 90 seconds and paid 50 quid etc". This may happen. Sometimes depending on the patient, on the circumstances and how well the GP knows them, this may be all that is really required. Also, as with any job there will probably be some people working in it that just don't give a crap.

But there are cases where people really don't know how to use contraception properly and need to be advised, people don't realise that they have exposed themselves to various diseases, people may have been coerced into sex or raped, or the event may be a signal of more serious health issues going on underneath. These things need to be investigated and discussed.

Sure, all these things could potentially be discussed with a pharmacist, but are pharmacists really trained to do this and is the pharmacy the right setting. They would say yes I think, I would say no. How many sexual histories does a pharmacist take? How many alcohol abuse histories? How often do they screen for depression? GPs (experienced and good ones) have seen and heard it all and are used to dealing with sensitive subjects in one on one settings. Also if some further consultation or investigation is required they can do it or refer to the appropriate party.

If doctors want to control medical services, then it is high time that they recognize that what they are offering is a SERVICE - something that needs to work well for the end users, not just the providers. If GPs made it as easy and convenient to get access to the MAP as Boots does, then I'd guess that many women would be just as happy to go to a GP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

If doctors want to control medical services, then it is high time that they recognize that what they are offering is a SERVICE - something that needs to work well for the end users, not just the providers. If GPs made it as easy and convenient to get access to the MAP as Boots does, then I'd guess that many women would be just as happy to go to a GP.

Yes I agree with this. But Irish people have to stand up for themselves as consumers too.

Saying that I recently went into a pharmacist to pick up some stuff which I later in the week was diagnosed with swine flue and tonsilitus.

My throat felt like a knife was going through it and up into the back of my head and I was running a constant high fever.

She told me to take some nurofen. On the pack it says take two tablets. I told her I was taking them and it wasnt doing any good. She told me to take three instead. So I did for like four weeks, about 4 times a day. So I was taking 2400 milligrams of ibuprofin for four weeks everyday when the most you are supposed to take is 1200, which is what was later prescribed to me. The long and the short of it she should have said to me, if the nurofen isnt working you should go to the doctor because OBVIOUSLY YOU ARE MORE SICK THAN WHAT OVER THE COUNTER CAN DO! And I could have ended up Oding or with jaundice or liver damage or god knows what.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Sure, all these things could potentially be discussed with a pharmacist, but are pharmacists really trained to do this

yes :confused: I have a lot of respect for their training considering how helpful my local ones have been

The consultant will likely offer any advice that they can and will answer any questions that are asked.
    Yes I agree with this. But Irish people have to stand up for themselves as consumers too.

Saying that I recently went into a pharmacist to pick up some stuff which I later in the week was diagnosed with swine flue and tonsilitus.

My throat felt like a knife was going through it and up into the back of my head and I was running a constant high fever.

She told me to take some nurofen. On the pack it says take two tablets. I told her I was taking them and it wasnt doing any good. She told me to take three instead. So I did for like four weeks, about 4 times a day. So I was taking 2400 milligrams of ibuprofin for four weeks everyday when the most you are supposed to take is 1200, which is what was later prescribed to me. The long and the short of it she should have said to me, if the nurofen isnt working you should go to the doctor because OBVIOUSLY YOU ARE MORE SICK THAN WHAT OVER THE COUNTER CAN DO! And I could have ended up Oding or with jaundice or liver damage or god knows what.

I'm sorry but some of this comes down to basic common sense. If the tablets weren't making you better, you should consult a doctor. Especially if after taking them for 4 weeks, 4 times a day knowing that it could ultimately be bad for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Oh you remind me of me when I was in medical school! Then I worked in the community and realised that its dangerous how doctors have such a monopoly over health in this country.

Pharmacists really are trained to prescribe medicine and give accurate pharmacological and medical advice. Why should it just be a medical doctor who is able to give accurate advice on contraception? Nurses and pharmacists have just as much training to provide first hand, reliable, community care.

You speak of rape and depression, Is a doctor really trained to deal with a rape or someone coerced into sex? No! Maybe the physical aspects but hardly the emotional/social/psychological side.In facts doctors are notorious for overlooking signs of abuse and suicide.

Oh and remember doctors in several religious run hospitals in Ireland, such as The Mater hospital, are unable to prescribe the Morning after pill even to rape victims. Hurray for Boots is all I can say!

panda100 wrote: »
    Oh and remember doctors in several religious run hospitals in Ireland, such as The Mater hospital, are unable to prescribe the Morning after pill even to rape victims. Hurray for Boots is all I can say!

Really? Jesus, that's terrifying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Really? Jesus, that's terrifying!

Yes,my best friend worked in the STD clinic in the mater hospital as an SHO. A women came in who had been raped and while she got a rape kit done she had to be sent to a gp to get the morning after pill. Lucky she has a social worker assigned to her so she wasn't sent by herself to the gp. Still, f*cking disgraceful and no doctors speaking out against these archaic regulations.

bluewolf wrote: »
    yes :confused: I have a lot of respect for their training considering how helpful my local ones have been

All the pharmacists I know and study with never got any of the training I'm talking about. Sure they can advise on the use of the MAP, and the pill. I don't doubt that at all.
    panda001 wrote: »
    You speak of rape and depression, Is a doctor really trained to deal with a rape or someone coerced into sex? No! Maybe the physical aspects but hardly the emotional/social/psychological side.In facts doctors are notorious for overlooking signs of abuse and suicide.

They are trained to deal with depression.

They're not trained to deal with the other things things per se, but are trained to invesgtigate if they might be going on. How many times do you take psychiatric histories in med school, substance abuse histories, sexual histories? Then you do rotations in GP and pyschiatry, then if becoming a GP you do more rotations in psych. Then in the day to day work you encounter all these things all the time and become adept (if any good) at looking for them and talking about them with patients.

panda100 wrote: »
    Then I worked in the community and realised that its dangerous how doctors have such a monopoly over health in this country.

What do you mean by this?

• Advertisement

Does anyone else get the impression that ORLY? is a GP or doctor of some form?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Does anyone else get the impression that ORLY? is a GP or doctor of some form?

I think he/she said they're a med student.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

Certainly there are some cases where women seeking the MAP may also require counselling or treatment for other serious issues such as rape or abuse or depression.... however I would say that moreoften, it's just a case of a condom breaking or not being used or a pill being missed. Not rocket science, and women should be able to just go get the MAP. If a woman knows that she needs the MAP then she probably has an idea of how to use contraception.

But more importanly, the main issue with having to get the pill prescribed by a doctor is the fact that it can be hard to get to a doctor at the weekend, when these accidents probably happen the most, and when it comes to the MAP, every hour counts!! Add to this the fact that the doctor can then refuse to prescribe it on moral ground!! And the extra cost which many women cannot afford.
    Doctors are there to provide a service, they're not parents who 'know what's best.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Not everyone knows their GP well at all. I move apartments too often to have an 'official' GP and when I still lived with my parents the GPs secretary usually shopped me out to the other GP who worked in the practice or I'd need an appointment right away and so go to a drop in clinic when I was sick. My medical history is scattered all over. My GPs (however lovely and committed they are) don't know me any better than my pharmacists. I seriously doubt I am alone in this.

Besides which, as has been pointed out, most women need the MAP in the weekends. I'm lucky enough to live in Dublin where you can get the MAP on a Sunday from the Well Woman Centre, I can't imagine how freaked I would have been to have to wait until the Monday (not to mention that I would have had to take time off work). The prescribing doctor was lovely, told me I shouldn't beat myself up over it, but it was no more than what my flatmate said to me later in the day (and she made me a cup of tea and all) and it cost me pretty much my whole budget for the week.

It's great to see boots do this and I hope it's rolled out to more pharmacies in the country.

Certainly there are some cases where women seeking the MAP may also require counselling or treatment for other serious issues such as rape or abuse or depression.... however I would say that moreoften, it's just a case of a condom breaking or not being used or a pill being missed. Not rocket science, and women should be able to just go get the MAP. If a woman knows that she needs the MAP then she probably has an idea of how to use contraception.

It's the some women I'm worried about. You mention just a case of a condom breaking or missing a pill. Sure, these things can just happen due to unexpected circumstances or bad luck, but they can be a sign that someone doesn't know how to use these forms of contraception properly. I don't see how someone requiring the MAP shows that they are well informed re. contrception. The whole issue of STDs is also being ignored.

You'd find it hard to believe, but there are lots of people out there who aren't as aware of the risks of getting STDs and the consequences of them as most of the people who post here are. There would also be a lot of people too who do not know how to use contraception properly.
    But more importanly, the main issue with having to get the pill prescribed by a doctor is the fact that it can be hard to get to a doctor at the weekend, when these accidents probably happen the most, and when it comes to the MAP, every hour counts!! Add to this the fact that the doctor can then refuse to prescribe it on moral ground!! And the extra cost which many women cannot afford.
    Doctors are there to provide a service, they're not parents who 'know what's best.'

These are the things that should change. GP access for the MAP should be made more convenient and cheaper instead of bypassing the GP altogether.
    Not everyone knows their GP well at all. I move apartments too often to have an 'official' GP and when I still lived with my parents the GPs secretary usually shopped me out to the other GP who worked in the practice or I'd need an appointment right away and so go to a drop in clinic when I was sick. My medical history is scattered all over. My GPs (however lovely and committed they are) don't know me any better than my pharmacists. I seriously doubt I am alone in this.
    Besides which, as has been pointed out, most women need the MAP in the weekends. I'm lucky enough to live in Dublin where you can get the MAP on a Sunday from the Well Woman Centre, I can't imagine how freaked I would have been to have to wait until the Monday (not to mention that I would have had to take time off work). The prescribing doctor was lovely, told me I shouldn't beat myself up over it, but it was no more than what my flatmate said to me later in the day (and she made me a cup of tea and all) and it cost me pretty much my whole budget for the week.
    It's great to see boots do this and I hope it's rolled out to more pharmacies in the country.

Not everyone knows their GP well, but alot of people do. Even if you're not known to the GP there are still certain things a GP should be looking for as signs of a more serious underlying problem.

Also re. the clinic you go to assigning you different doctors all the time I can assure you that they all have access to records of your previous visits. So that if they saw that you are taking anti-convulsants for example they would know to take some extra time to make sure that you were fully aware of the dangers of getting pregnant on them.

As for the doctor not telling you much different from your friend, well that's probably because there was no need to say much more, some people do need to spend alot more time with the GP. These are the people that will slip through the net and could suffer in the long run with it being given out in pharmacies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

When it comes to putting medicine in my body I would much rather deal with a pharmacist than a GP. They are specifically trained for this purpose and they will be more aware of any possible side-effects or issues than any GP.

Most people I know don't go to their GP for STI screening because they either don't feel comfortable doing it or because they can't afford it. They much prefer to go to one of the free clinics or to the Well Woman or Well Man clinics where the majority of people there are being seen for the same reason.
    I agree fully that sexual education in this country is abysmal but that is something that needs to change both at home and at school. People should not have to pay €60 for the privelege of what often amounts to a lecture. I remember being 17 years of age and going back for a repeat prescription of the pill. I was subjected to a 15 "talking to" by a male doctor in his 60s who refused to listen to my continued, and truthful, prostestations of "I'm not actually having sex".

How many rape victims go to their local GP? And if they do, are GPs really tained sufficiently to deal with a rape victim? Are they not referred to the Rape Crisis Centre? Is a pharmacist unable to do this for some reason?

Look, at the end of the day the women in question are looking for a service that Boots now provide. Its really that simple. When did doctors become our moral guardians? Why do I need to go and see a doctor when the condom myself and my partner are using breaks?

As a previous poster said, why should those of us who are not simpletons when it comes to sexual health be punished because those are simpletons might misuse the product? You have to be over 18 to get it. Legally an adult. Any complaints from doctors reeks of greed and protectionism. They already charge far too much for their "service", good enough for them to lose out on this. Might make them realise that there are far too many people out there who can't afford them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Chinafoot wrote: »
    When it comes to putting medicine in my body I would much rather deal with a pharmacist than a GP. They are specifically trained for this purpose and they will be more aware of any possible side-effects or issues than any GP.

Most people I know don't go to their GP for STI screening because they either don't feel comfortable doing it or because they can't afford it. They much prefer to go to one of the free clinics or to the Well Woman or Well Man clinics where the majority of people there are being seen for the same reason.
    I agree fully that sexual education in this country is abysmal but that is something that needs to change both at home and at school. People should not have to pay €60 for the privelege of what often amounts to a lecture. I remember being 17 years of age and going back for a repeat prescription of the pill. I was subjected to a 15 "talking to" by a male doctor in his 60s who refused to listen to my continued, and truthful, prostestations of "I'm not actually having sex".

How many rape victims go to their local GP? And if they do, are GPs really tained sufficiently to deal with a rape victim? Are they not referred to the Rape Crisis Centre? Is a pharmacist unable to do this for some reason?

Look, at the end of the day the women in question are looking for a service that Boots now provide. Its really that simple. When did doctors become our moral guardians? Why do I need to go and see a doctor when the condom myself and my partner are using breaks?

As a previous poster said, why should those of us who are not simpletons when it comes to sexual health be punished because those are simpletons might misuse the product? You have to be over 18 to get it. Legally an adult. Any complaints from doctors reeks of greed and protectionism. They already charge far too much for their "service", good enough for them to lose out on this. Might make them realise that there are far too many people out there who can't afford them.

great post.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Chinafoot wrote: »

+1 the pharmacist I use for myself and the bf will go through side effects and check prescriptions, twice I've had them ring my doctor to confirm a prescription (both times as the wrong dosage was specified by the doctor due to them mixing up American and European versions of drugs)

Plus the pharmacist will often suggest a generic alternative and will ring the doctor's surgery to check that the doctor is happy with a cheaper generic alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,471 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

<snip>

If the doctors really wanted to help the patient, they could have widely available (same opening times as Boots for instance) and reduce the cost down to the same as Boots.

This is all about the money they are now going to be losing.

And really, with a medicine that has to be taken within certain time period, and isn't life threatening (so not suitable for A+E), they had to have seen this coming.

[Edit]I'm actually angry reading ORLY's responses<snip>[/edit]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

This is clearly an emotive topic but can everyone direct their angst at posts rather than posters and ensure that posts are not dismissive, aggressive or offensive.

Thanks.

Advertisement