Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boots to offer morning after pill without prescription - thoughts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I think its great as long as they keep some kind of consultation with a professional.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Like crayola, I think it's a great step forward, so long as there is some kind of consultation with a pharmacist or other professional who can give advice, etc. I know it's Ireland and nothing works the way it should here, but if it can be successfully done in other countries there's no reason why it shouldn't be done here, too.

No doubt there'll be lots of controversy over this. Maybe I should take out the popcorn and listen to Liveline tmr! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

I think its great as long as they keep some kind of consultation with a professional.

The article does say "The morning-after pill will be provided after consultation with the pharmacist in a private consultation room." :)

I agree, it is indeed excellent news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Excellent news!Well done Boots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Yep, as Morgase said, the article does say there will be a consultation in a private consultation room.

I think it's brilliant and such a step forward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Absolutely delighted, this is fantastic news. Anticipating some controversy and outrage though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Oh I can already feel the outrage from the Joe Duffy callers about this tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭neveah

Great news, I wonder how long it will be before the rest of the pharmacies in Ireland will make it available as well?

I wonder if there is any legal implications to this decision? If not, why on earth didn't a pharmacy start doing this sooner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

Does that mean things are one step closer to getting the regular contraceptive pill without prescription?

• Advertisement

Oh I can already feel the outrage from the Joe Duffy callers about this tomorrow.

F*ck them. Let Joe Duffy's listeners bitch and moan and complain, this is wonderful news.

As I said in the thread in AH -

Finally!

It's absolutely ridiculous that you have to go to a doctor to get it. In England Superdrug and some other chemists have a program in which you can get the morning-after pill for free if you fill out some forms, with the max amount being in or around £30. Over here? Close to €100 when you take into account that the GP visit alone is €60.

Apologies, didn't realise there was a thread on this already. Mods please merge if you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I think it's a positive step in removing part of the "shame" some people feel surrounding sex in this country.

I wonder if there'll be an age restriction on buying it? Didn't mention that in the article. I assume people will have to be seventeen or over, to coincide with Irish legislation?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Apologies, didn't realise there was a thread on this already. Mods please merge if you like.

Two threads on two different forums so it's ok. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

Was delighted when I heard this news, the only thing is: How much is it going to cost?? There has to be a sting in the tail somewhere!!

I think it's a positive step in removing part of the "shame" some people feel surrounding sex in this country.

I wonder if there'll be an age restriction on buying it? Didn't mention that in the article. I assume people will have to be seventeen or over, to coincide with Irish legislation?

I think you're right. If I remember correctly, in England the minimum age is 16, so it's likely to be 17 here. If the guy goes in to get the pill, they will ask the girl that needs it to be there also, as I found out, so I'm assuming it's going to be there same here as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

About bloody time. A friend of mine had to get this once...all she got was two minutes with the doctor where he wrote a prescription and gave her a leaflet with information about possible side affects and told her to come back if she had any. €50 for that. :rolleyes:

That's a good point. I just read the article and thought "excellent", didn't even think of age restriction. I'm sure that will be clarified over the next two days.

candy19 wrote: »
    Was delighted when I heard this news, the only thing is: How much is it going to cost?? There has to be a sting in the tail somewhere!!

It's 40euro or so at the moment I think so hopefully they won't up the price by much, as I assume they'll use this as an excuse to increase the cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

There'd have to be some sort of age restriction.

I just hope it doesn't encourage the young 'un's to use this as a common contraceptive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

It's 40euro or so at the moment I think so hopefully they won't up the price by much, as I assume they'll use this as an excuse to increase the cost.

Is that the wholesale price?? Or the price to the consumer? As good as it is to have it available...how will a low income person manage to pay?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Has the prescription only status of the MAP been changed to allow this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 245 ✭✭montane

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0110/pill.html

The Irish College of GP's have concerns that they do losing out on one of their nice little weekend earners.
    No wonder progress is so difficult in this country .

candy19 wrote: »
    Is that the wholesale price?? Or the price to the consumer? As good as it is to have it available...how will a low income person manage to pay?

That's the price to the consumer.

EMF2010 wrote: »
    About bloody time. A friend of mine had to get this once...all she got was two minutes with the doctor where he wrote a prescription and gave her a leaflet with information about possible side affects and told her to come back if she had any. €50 for that. :rolleyes:

And personally I could never bring myself to tell the doctor we just didn't bother using a condom for fear of the big lecture on safe sex.So I always just used to lie and say the condom burst.

I can't see the prices going up hugely,Its about €13 at the moment right?
    Edit: I can't remember paying €40 for the MAP,but it has been a while since I used it. Woah thats steep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

There'd have to be some sort of age restriction.

Interesting point. The age limit is 16 in the UK for otc purchases in pharmacies. Where a doctor or nurse is involved there's no specific age requirement, though I know there have been some high-profile stories about 13 year olds and the like being given it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

what a brilliant idea!! as far as i remember a few years ago it was €14 at most.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Fantastic idea, glad to see Boots finally introducing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

Really glad to hear this coming in finally. Hopefully, as other posters have said, they won't put the price up to some crazy amount or anything. There should be an age limit imho though just like England. I do hope though that it won't just be used as a form of contraceptive, as Stench Blossoms has said. But its great that the service will be available. I can only imagine what its like to have to go to the doctor and pay for that for a 2 minute consultation and then have to go pay for the MAP. At least this way its easier, and I would hope most people would use the service for emergencies only!

• Advertisement

What they should do is adopt a similar style in America, where they give proper sexual education and free condoms out to school. Young 'uns are going to be having sex regardless, so at least you can make sure they're being safe.

Advertisement