Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

01 Focus engine cutting out

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭smileyscientist

Well that price includes the ss too and the fitting of that... It might be money well spent if it solves our little problem. NCT next month too... fantastico!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭manatoo

do all cars have a VSS? Does my '95 Carina?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Does your car have a speedo, if so yes:p newer cars would use the ABS sensors as the VSS.

I would imagine so... how would you be able to pick up the wheel rotations? Every car must have some sort of tachometer.. there do vary between types thou!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭manatoo

Plug wrote: »
    Does your car have a speedo, if so yes:p newer cars would use the ABS sensors as the VSS.

but years ago I had an old corolla van and it's speedo was attached via a cable which actually twisted in a casing and somehow the speed was indicated from this.

• Advertisement

So collectedcar from him today... good news..everything seems to be in good working order. Speedo is functioning as it should which has never happened before- even on the shortest journey. More importantly no cutting out. So may have been 300e well spent! Fingers crossd.

He reckon the battery is sluggish now too! :(

Thanks for all yr help.. esp Plug! Never would have found it if wasn't for ye all- Good work!!:D

So collectedcar from him today... good news..everything seems to be in good working order. Speedo is functioning as it should which has never happened before- even on the shortest journey. More importantly no cutting out. So may have been 300e well spent! Fingers crossd.

He reckon the battery is sluggish now too! :(

Thanks for all yr help.. esp Plug! Never would have found it if wasn't for ye all- Good work!!:D
    No problem, happy motoring!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 smartbodydublin

Hello all, my car had symptoms of vss failure. Mark 1, 2002 ford focus, 1.6 zetec se ib5 engine.

Tried cleaning plug contacts and bending them in, in case they'd become lose, all to no avail.
    After reading a few very helpful guides I had a go at the VSS retaining pin with a very small mole/vice grips (about 14cm long with bolt adjuster in fully). It took a lot of rotating to ease out but it does. I got stuck with the sensor itself as I attached a mole grips (about 18cm with adjustment bolt in fully) vertically to the sensor head and tried pulling upward with no success!!

I got cheap set of 3 vice grips in B and Q I think, cello taped together for something silly like e10, really! There was only one set at the time. Barring that, just get the two sizes I suggest for the ib5 engine sensor location, their very handy sizes so if your a DIYer you'll use them again. Ring around for a set to get cheap price if you not near a b and q. These two are smaller then the most common vice grips and you'll likely get that size included.

I found, as many must have already known that you need to attach the vice grips horizontally to the sensor head sticking up out of block ie Vice grips is now parallel to the ground and have it grip around the now empty plug receptor head. Just tight enough to grip not destroy. 18cm one (jaws big enough to wrap around sensor top as described but over all the tool is small enough to use in the confined space when coming from above sensor.

Then wiggle side to side as you pull up at same time, it takes a few minutes of this double motion, you should spray WD 40 around the housing at the start and a few times during the extraction. Do not rush or go Hulk on it, I was lucky and mine didn't break and I'm sure taking it slowly and easing it out gives you best chance.

Thanks to posters on here who make the effort to help the poor, dejected and just plain ugly, ok, so that's enough about my missus, I'm also thankful, ha ha. Na, she's pretty and too good for me.

Thanks to posters on here who make the effort to help the poor, dejected and just plain ugly, ok, so that's enough about my missus, I'm also thankful, ha ha. Na, she's pretty and too good for me.

Was not expecting that, ha:D

Advertisement