Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The simple things in life

Options
  • 07-01-2011 6:05am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As I wandered around on my lunch break today, I thought of the little things in life, that I do alone, that I love.
    • Browsing in bookshops. If said bookshop has a coffee shop inside where I can sit with a coffee and read a chapter, then all the better
    • People watching. I love sitting on a park bench and just watching people going about their daily business.
    • Snuggling in bed with a good book, a mug of tea and some nice music playing in the background
    • PJ days, enough said :P
    • Shopping for Christmas presents; I love looking at things in shops and thinking "oh, such a person, would love that". Hate leaving it till last minute though.

So what simple things do you love to do in your alone time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

New bedsheets, shower, climb into bed and watch a movie, aw yeah :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

At the moment (cos it's winter): Have a shower, get dressed in comfy cosy clothes, sit on the beanbag beside the radiator with a cup of tea and a good book, or my sewing and good music.

In the summer, I love sitting in the garden and just enjoying the sunshine. Or sitting in the main square in my city drinking a coke and watching people.

really hot cup of tea and a bar of chocolate, eat a square of choccy, take a mouthfull of tea, let it melt, its yummy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭kiwi123

going for a shower with some lovely smelly lush products, throwing on some moisturiser, sticking on some light tv...my favourite at the minute is miami ink reruns and hopping into jammies with a hot water bottle or electric blanket!

Also when Im in Dublin walking around the city when you dont have any time restraints or anything worrying you so you can relax and watch everybody rush around.

My new favourite thing to do by myself is get up and go for a walk around in the morning and stick on the ray darcy show!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭smares

Have the fire lit and snuggled up with a cup of tea watching come dine with me.

I also love when im on my own in the car putting on cheesy music and singing my heart out:D

• Advertisement

Probably an odd one but late night driving, I was up and down to Dublin ever week over november and december doing a course and loved driving home at 12 and 1 at night, no traffic, roads were dead, any town I passed through was empty. I love being out when nobody else is, like going to work early, I worked at 8am one xmas morning and I could have driven any way I wanted as there wsant a single car on the road, its cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Hooked

Honorary lady here... :p

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE spending time with my family (especially my nieces), friends, dinner/nights out and soccer with the lads... But there's nothing like lighting a massive fire, switching the phone to silent and taking over the couch to watch an auld favourite from the DVD collection for the umpteenth time. With a big bag of Haribo MIX....

A VERY close second is lacing up the ASICS Gel Kayano's and hitting the roads for a run. The wetter and colder, the better! There's something about being alone with your thoughts for the week(s) ahead, sweating the small stuff and generally appreciating the fact that I'm fitter and happier now than I've ever been.

And something I've promised to do more of this year - time spent drawing and painting! I still haven't lost it, even after all these years spent on a computer/using Photoshop. Though I still find myself hitting "UNDO" in my head when the pencil slips!

Time alone doesn't have to be time spent being lonely!

During the summer I love going into Galway city, buying an éclair and walking down to the Spanish Arch, where I let my feet dangle over the edge and I read a book while munching on my éclair.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

krudler wrote: »
    New bedsheets, shower, climb into bed and watch a movie, aw yeah :cool:

not even new...just clean, freshly ironed, then stick on the electric blanket to heat it all up while in the bath....then climb into the bed :D

The one thing that makes me happy right now is getting a really good nights sleep, where I'm not tired getting out of the bed again in the morning....it's a rare thing these days though.
    Also, curly wurlys :D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

What I just had - a big mug of strong coffee, with two squares of Lindt dark chocolate. NYOM. :)

And slightly healthier - running on cold, crisp winter days. Love it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

An electric blanket. So heavenly when the sheets are that slightly too warm side of warm...

Smelling my girlfriends neck. I know its stupid, but it smells soooo good. Especially since she was away for so long and I didn't have her neck to hand! :p

Cooking and baking. I love the rhythm I get into when I'm cooking proper food or baking. Nothing better than making a cake and watching it rise in the oven.

Going to the cinema on my own. I can go see anything I want, sit on my own and not have to listen to anyone talking at me afterwards. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Shower
    Mug of coffee and a kit kat bar or chocolate biscuit :D
    Playing my piano
    Sitting by the radiator
    Curling up by the fire when it's really cold outside :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

In winter, when all the kids are gone home and the classroom is empty. My huge free space. Put on radio nova over the big speakers, sit at my desk by the radiator with a big cup of tea and catch up on notes. (Or pretend to work)

In the summer, I love to go to Mountjoy Square park and lie on the grass looking up through the leafy trees, headphones in... Or watch all the people playing sports and listen to the children in the playground. My haven in the city centre.

When I stay up later than my fiancé and he's already asleep and the bed is warm. I snuggle up behind him and it's safe and cosy and smells lovely :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Writing on the first page of a brand new notebook, and the smell and feel of new books in general.

Someone else washing your hair.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Novella wrote: »
    Writing on the first page of a brand new notebook, and the smell and feel of new books in general.

Oh god yes, I go weak at the knees if anyone else touches my hair/head - so if I'm getting a good shampoo/condition and a head massage in the hairdressers, I get all tingly and floaty and stuff :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

When you're waiting at the bus stop ... and the bus you want actually shows up exactly on time.

Checking your bank balance and having more than you thought ... Giving you the perfect reason to buy something you've had your eye on for ages :pac:

That feeling when you pick up your mobile phone and have a text from someone you really wanted to hear from.

Being around the people closest to you and really understanding that they love you just the way you are. There's no pretense, or pressure or BS.

Opening the freezer and finding a tub of Ben & Jerry's you forgot you had ... (I rarely forget, but it can happen ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I love just wandering around town or anywhere really on my own, with my iPod playing in my ears. I just really enjoy going at on my pace, and when I have earphones in I feel like I'm in my own little world.

I love cuddling with my boyfriend. Just a simple hug and burying myself into this chest makes me feel all warm and content on the inside :)

Driving. I love driving - anywhere, anytime at all. A bit of music and on my own, I find it ridiculously relaxing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Novella wrote: »

To both of those, yes :)

On that note, buying stationery, love it, just the feeling of organisation =D

Having a clean room, which is actually nearly all the time now, amazingly :)

When I'm at my parent's for the night, walking down to the beach at night and listening to the waves and nothing else, just me and the stars :)

Chocolate. 'Nuff said.

Snuggling up to my boyfriend and listening to his heartbeat, it's so strong :)

Having a fireplace. Miss that :(

That moment of utter bliss when you realise that you really don't need anything else, everything is just right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Listening to music and singing along like a mad person.
    Sitting on my bed or my floor and reading a good book.
    Watching a good movie after a long day of college.
    Looking up places around the world and making a list of those I want to go to someday.
    +1 to someone else washing your hair! So long as they're not rough!
    Cups of tea. Endless cups of tea.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Baking by myself, listening to music really loud.
    Bath, pjs, clean sheets. Bliss!
    King Crisp sambos.
    Pesto, on pasta, on toast at 3am, hell with the jar and the spoon!
    People watching in Stephen's Green.
    When the gorgeous dress you've spied zips riiight up, not bother ;)
    TK Maxx bargains :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

Baking and cooking.
    Singing really loudly(and completely out of tune:o)
    Taking my 3 dogs for a long walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Loopie

Standing in as hot a shower as possible...

Turning on a radio station and my fave song is playing..and then realising it hasn't even got to the second verse so there's loads of song left to crow my heart out to!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Lynnsie

New sheets

Being cosy in bed when I can hear rain lashing on the window

Waking during the night, thinking it's nearly time to get up and realising I've hours left

Good hugs

Nice texts

Unexpectedly finding money in my jacket or jeans :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I have so many but what the hell...

- Being home alone, blasting music, singing loudly and dancing crazily :D
    - Jeans that fit perfectly.
    - Finding something you lost a long time ago.
    - The look, feel, smell of a book.
    - Hot chocolate on rainy days.
    - Breaking the foil seal on the Nutella jar and then eating it with a spoon.
    - Clothes straight out of the dryer.
    - Kept pinky promises
    - Star gazing
    - When his/her family likes you
    - Watching shows from your childhood
    - Kisses on the forehead
    - Seeing your favorite band live and singing your heart out on every song.
    - Looking through old photos and having the memories come back.
    - Roadtrips with friends
    - Classical Disney movies
    - Christmas lights at night.
    - Riding in a shopping cart
    - A child's unlimited imagination

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

Dancing my heart out when no one can see me(because I really can't dance)

Have an afternoon nap

Tea+cookies :D

Trying out new things on my harp even though it sounds like something a 3 years old just composed

Sing.....really false!

Going outside for a walk

• Registered Users Posts: 14,764 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

When in the car, putting on a tune and singing my heart out to it (can't sing!)
    At this moment, I've the house to myself, a massive fire on, and the remote control.
    Oh and I'm after a turkey and cheese toasted sambo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

Rainy evenings like tonight, getting into cosy PJs, lighting smelly candles, my ipod on in the backround playing all my favourite songs, sitting on my newly make bed giving myself a manicure and painting on some fresh new colour nail varnish.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

-cinema in the afternoon on my own....the lights go out and i have the cinema to myself and i'm transported into the world of the film i'm watching and all cares go out of my brain :)

-being on the beach at night...i get such peace from it.

-a venti caramel miachiatto from starbucks and just sit and sip for an hour

-wishing on stars at night

-driving on my own and listening to my favorite song on repeat

-going on a plane journey to meet up with friends in a foreign land

-a shower in your own house after coming home from a holiday

-clean sheets on a bed.....why is that the best feeling in the world!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Getting everyone together in a group of friends and just catching up over tea or a few drinks. :) (one of nicest things about Christmas I think!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

A sandwhich made by my mom
    A hug from my nephews and niece
    Cuddling up with my OH to watch a film
    Driving in the sun with the windows open and my music on

Advertisement