Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeland [Showtime - US] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Edal

On episode 4 and loving it thus far.

The only criticism I'd have is the lead actress, Claire Danes. I think she's overly dramatic at times, and not very CIA-ish, like Naomi Watts in Fair Game, for example.

Perhaps it's not fair to compare the big screen to TV actors, but she could have toned it down a little. Maybe she's just a poor actress?

As for the rest of the cast, top, top notch. Excellent plot and writing too.

Be warned, it's a bit addictive, in the same way as The Killing (Forbrydelsen), although not in the same league IMO. Then again what is?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Edal wrote: »
    On episode 4 and loving it thus far.

The only criticism I'd have is the lead actress, Claire Danes. I think she's overly dramatic at times, and not very CIA-ish, like Naomi Watts in Fair Game, for example.

I think she plays it like that because of the character's medical condition,you always feel like she could snap. She is taking anti-psychotics!

tvnutz wrote: »
    I think she plays it like that because of the character's medical condition,you always feel like she could snap. She is taking anti-psychotics!

Fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

tvnutz wrote: »

And boy does it show in this episode...Holy sheeeeit. Claire Danes has gone up a lot in my estimation this episode; despite Brody having a very foreboding trip and getting a foreboding package, I was far more gripped by Carrie's plot, which really shows her up for the fractured genius that she is. She's almost like a Cassandra, whom nobody will believe now that Brody's thrown her under the bus. I thought there would be 13 episodes, but next week is the 90 minute finale...damnit!

In a season of some very disappointing drama from Dexter to the Talking Dead and with Fringe seemingly doomed (Boardwalk Empire I'm excluding because I haven't been following it - I'm sure it's fantastic though), this has become my number one show of the autumn. It really needs more attention, not least because some of the scenes and interactions are up there with Breaking Bad for pure tension and gut wrenching sucker punches.

Love it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Claire Danes is great. Outside of this, watch Temple Grandin.

Here, I think she brought credibility to the illness without overacting.

I think Brody's daughter has good intuition, even if you don't include her trying to check the parcel, she knows something's up. I didn't really buy the scene in the diner. Really liked Saul's scene of putting the pieces together - good to see him analysing a bit, not just supervising, etc. Here's there, by her side, then he obviously can't be there at the end...the revelation about her illness certainly knocked him a bit. The last scene was tough to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

That was a great episode. I thought Brody's daughter wouldn't make it to the end of the episode. :eek:
    Roll on the finale. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭niemad

Really liked episode 11, didn't blink throughout the whole last scene :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Well, that was a tough enough watch, especially at the end seeing all her work get taken down just after Saul put it together. Brody... you prick.
    Only one more left... my Monday evenings will be a lot less, eh, dramatic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Surely Brody has now implicated himself? She's gonna go straight for him now.

Another brilliant episode though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Danes acted well in the 11th part. Well acted indeed.
    Something has to happen that with either mean Saul will convince his boss to let Dane's character back in somewhat or she will do something independently which will convince others she's on the right track.

Either way, can't wait for the next/last part - should be good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

This episode was absolutely sensational, Clare Danes was amazing throughout.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Surely Brody has now implicated himself? She's gonna go straight for him now.

He's probably pretty clean from the CIA's point of view and any doubts about him would probably be put down to Carrie being out of sorts, the unsanctioned surveillance, etc. Saul might stick up for her. If Brody hasn't flinched thus far, I can't see Carrie getting some out of him.

Wonder where this image is from. http://www.imdb.com/media/rm923844352/nm0507073 I've not watched any press or behind the scenes stuff, must look for some after the finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

very good ep it shows what she would be like of the meds but is way to much of a wacko not to be on them.she acted very well .iam stil goin as david being the mole.is there a 2nd season tell me there is ??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

how do they not know they bombed him and killed his people at the yellow period

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

how do they not know they bombed him and killed his people at the yellow period

They (the Americans) probably thought he was either dead by that stage or buried in a hole as a prisoner somewhere.

Biggins wrote: »
    They (the Americans) probably thought he was either dead by that stage or buried in a hole as a prisoner somewhere.

yes but now they know he's not so why would it be a hole in their timeline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

because they don't know what he was doing during that time frame

They're looking for the reason why there's a gap in the timeline, they know they bombed him and that he survived but they don't know they killed his son. This is why there's a gap, because he was grieving/planning/whatever terrorists do when their son has just been blown up.

They're looking for the reason why there's a gap in the timeline, they know they bombed him and that he survived but they don't know they killed his son. This is why there's a gap, because he was grieving/planning/whatever terrorists do when their son has just been blown up.

well the vp or P said we don't think we killed any chidlren, but everyone else isn't stupid enough to believe that, theres clare danes saying ooh he had tradgey, surely between her and saul they can figure out that's when they bombed him, there should be a big drawing of bomb on their timeline, saying we bombed him maybe we killed somebody he was close to.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Elohim

well the vp or P said we don't think we killed any chidlren, but everyone else isn't stupid enough to believe that, theres clare danes saying ooh he had tradgey, surely between her and saul they can figure out that's when they bombed him, there should be a big drawing of bomb on their timeline, saying we bombed him maybe we killed somebody he was close to.

Not really, the bomb that we know about only killed school kids. The Americans would probably assume faulty intelligence and forget about it. Also, the probably dropped loads of bombs elsewhere and finding the bomb that caused a major terrorist to go quiet wouldn't be easy I presume.

• Advertisement

Elohim wrote: »
    Not really, the bomb that we know about only killed school kids. The Americans would probably assume faulty intelligence and forget about it. Also, the probably dropped loads of bombs elsewhere and finding the bomb that caused a major terrorist to go quiet wouldn't be easy I presume.

the purposely dropped a bomb on his compound and the president went on tv to talk about, they are not going to forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

naughto wrote: »
    is there a 2nd season tell me there is ??
    of course there is
    http://www.tvline.com/2011/10/showtime-renews-homeland-season-2/

wow this week has taken the show up another notch, claire danes is just unbelievable,

going by the video at the end we know whats suppose to happen but will it happen, this can really go either way, i honestly cant tell what there gonna do, the writers will kill the VP or P without hesitation, and thats why this show is so good,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Is there just one episode left of season 1 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Basq wrote: »
    Fully caught up with this now... best new US show this year by far. Absolutely fantastic!

And not a single weak link in that cast.

Funny in that the promos did nothing for me, but the show continues to go from strength to strength.

While I hold this show in very high regard I am guessing you have yet to watch 'Boss' with Kelsey Grammer, ?

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

the_monkey wrote: »
    Is there just one episode left of season 1 ?

Yes, although it is a 90 minute double episode which with Showtime not having ads should actually mean an 80-something runtime, unlike network shows that claim a double episode and are then about fifteen minutes longer than a normal ep.

opr wrote: »
    While I hold this show in very high regard I am guessing you have yet to watch 'Boss' with Kelsey Grammer, ?

Opr

+1. Boss is truly superb TV. Grammer is mind-blowing. Amazing acting all round and some very quirky direction at times.

Can't wait for the finale of Homeland. Boss has tipped for me for best show of 2011. Probably the best since The Wire actually.

Edal wrote: »
    +1. Boss is truly superb TV. Grammer is mind-blowing. Amazing acting all round and some very quirky direction at times.

Can't wait for the finale of Homeland. Boss has tipped for me for best show of 2011. Probably the best since The Wire actually.
    Now I know what I'll be watching all day today. Sweet!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Season finale tonight!

Have you been watching this, Richard?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Black Oil wrote: »
    Have you been watching this, Richard?

No, i watched the pilot....just felt i didn't have enough time to watch it + everything else, i dumped a load of shows recently as i have lost alot of interest in tv, it became a bit too much like work, the entertainment went out of it :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement