Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)
Hi all, The AutoSave Draft feature is now disabled across the site. The decision to disable the feature was made via a poll last year. The delay in putting it in place was due to a bug/update issue. This should serve as a reminder to manually save your drafts if you wish to keep them. Thanks, The Boards Team.

Quoted and Actual Self Build costs in 2011 - Mod warning in Post No. 1

1235

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Mrs. Fudge


    Hi all,

    Have used this site many times throughout the duration of my build and now I want to share my costings with you.

    House details: 2500 sq ft – storey and a half in Meath.
    Build Type: Closed panel timber frame – the rest by direct labour.
    Started: July 9th 2011
    Moved in: January 26th 2012
    Duration of build: 6.5 months
    Total Cost of Build (Mortgage 185K and Savings of 21K): ~ 206K
    Short: 10K
    Site 0.75 Acre: 70K – purchased ourselves a few years ago
    Council charge – 12K – paid when site was bought


    Here’s the breakdown;

    Site Clearance & Foundations: €16,500
    - All materials/stones/digger hire/concrete/labour

    Scaffolding Hire: €1550 (family friend supplied it)


    Timber frame & Crane hire: €65,000
    - included erection of frame, felt and batten of roof and roof of garage (which was block built)
    - Supply and install of all insulation to ceiling & internal walls
    - Sealing around all window/door openings with airtight tape.
    - Supply of all plasterboard for internal walls
    - External wall valve U- 0.16, under sloping ceilings U- 0.12, under slopes U- 0.17.

    Window & Doors: €10,000
    - Triple glazed, argon filled, Upvc
    - Solid wood front door & double garage doors
    - UPVC back door and side garage door.
    - 3x Aluminium roof light

    Block Work: €9500

    - All external block work to house
    - Block built garage (500 sq foot)
    - Brown granite window cills (26 of them)
    - All lintels,
    - 1 Chimney/flue pipes
    - All sand and cement, blocks
    - Labour

    Roof Work: €14,500

    - Slates – fibre cement
    - Labour
    - Soffits/ fascia
    - All materials

    Slabbing, Skimming inside and Plastering outside: €13,000
    - Labour
    - All materials (except plasterboard which TF supplied)

    Plumbing: €32,000 – supply and install & commission of entire system

    - Floor insulation (6 inches)
    - Screed (4 inches)
    - 16 kw Air-to-water heat pump
    - UF to all downstairs
    - Aluminium rads upstairs
    - 300 L tank
    - Pressurised system
    - MHRV system
    - Sanitary wear (for 3 bathrooms)

    Electrics: €8500

    - Labour
    - All materials
    - Fixtures & fittings – external & internal

    Kitchen/Utility: €8200

    - Cream solid oak country style kitchen
    - Oak veneered utility
    - Granite including undermount sink and tap

    Externals: €15,000

    - Drilling well/ water test and pump (€3700)
    - Waste water treatment & Percolation (concrete tank €3400)
    - All drainage pipes
    - Labour

    Tiling: €6000

    - All tiles, grout, adhesive
    - tiles to kitchen/dining/utility/hall & 3 bathrooms
    - Labour

    Carpentry: €3500

    - 13 pre-engineered oak doors and lock sets/hinges
    - Red-deal skirting, architrave, doorframe and door stops (we painted these cream)
    - Windowboards
    - 3 Small rooms in laminate flooring
    - Labour

    Painting: €300
    - Materials only - painted it all ourselves.

    Appliances: €2900

    - washing machine, tumble dryer
    - Integrated larder fridge, undercounter freezer, integrated dishwasher
    - Belling classic electric cooker, microwave, kettle, toaster

    Short: €10,000

    - Stairs – approx €3500-€4000 for oak
    - Carpets to upstairs rooms & landing – approx €2500
    - Paths/ Kerbing - €3500

    Hope this give people some idea what to expect. Be prepared to get stuck in and hope that your boss is ok with you taking 20 phonecalls a day!!!


  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ theduffer


    Mrs. Fudge,

    Thanks for those accurate costings. Very helpful.


  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭ BryanF


    232m² / 228k (206 + 10short + 12 council) If you were to include the painting costs that's 1000€ per m2 direct labour in 2011... Thanks mrs fudge - is that to 08 or 11 part L regs? thanks


  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Mrs. Fudge


    Hi BryanF,

    Thanks for the reply. To answer your question - thats is to 11 Part L regs.

    :)


  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ ShiverinEskimo


    Forgive the noob question. What do you mean by 'short'. :o


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Dromardabu


    Thanks Mrs Fudge. That's excellent. Did you have to negotiate and tender aggressively to achieve that ? Is VAT included in these prices, or was it cash in hand ?
    Excellent result either way though. Fair play.
    Just about to start a house of similar size and hoping to achieve a similar result .... If we can!!


  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭ liamolaighin


    Great breakdown, thanks. A quick question about you windows. You may need to Private message me this info but I was curious which window company you went with and then u-value you got. I'm going to be making a final decision soon. Like you going triple glazed. Trying to get under 1.0 u-value. Can get 0.84 from 1 company but they are a bit pricey compared to yours. Was surprised your figure was so low but it may relate directly yo area being glazed also. My house is 3000 sq/ft with adjoining garage. A lot of glazing in sunroom driving up costs also.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭ john_cappa


    How much approx was the MHRV?

    You have given me some hope that i can build my build for the 190 i had in mind. The timber frame you ent with cost at lot at 75 thousand!


  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Mrs. Fudge


    Forgive the noob question. What do you mean by 'short'. :o

    At the minute we have a red deal tempory staircase that the timber company put together for us, no paths poured or kerbing and have to carpet two rooms and the landing upstairs - so this will be an additional cost of about €8k-€10K to get the house complete.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Mrs. Fudge


    Dromardabu wrote: »
    Thanks Mrs Fudge. That's excellent. Did you have to negotiate and tender aggressively to achieve that ? Is VAT included in these prices, or was it cash in hand ?
    Excellent result either way though. Fair play.
    Just about to start a house of similar size and hoping to achieve a similar result .... If we can!!

    Hi Dromardabu,

    We spent months prior to starting getting various quotes from different trades/companies but to be honest we didn't have to negotiate too hard. People are hungry for the business and will provide a rock bottom price these days. For example we got a quote for €4000 euro to put the tiles on the roof and within two weeks the quote had dropped to €2500.
    To answer the VAT question - apart from the grounds work which my brother in law did, the majority of the rest incl VAT. There were some parts done here and there for cash but not much. I was afraid that if something went wrong we'd have nothing to fall back on. So least in a years time if there is a problem with the plumbing,TF, windows etc. or whatever - we have our receipt.


  • Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ ShiverinEskimo


    Mrs. Fudge wrote: »
    At the minute we have a red deal tempory staircase that the timber company put together for us, no paths poured or kerbing and have to carpet two rooms and the landing upstairs - so this will be an additional cost of about €8k-€10K to get the house complete.

    Right. So you've pretty much spent all your deposit and mortgage so these are things you'll be doing on your own steam as and when you get the moolh together yea?

    Not too bad I suppose. The stairs would be a priority I imagine but the likes of kerbing and the odd room of carpet wouldn't be too urgent I take it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Mrs. Fudge


    john_cappa wrote: »
    How much approx was the MHRV?

    You have given me some hope that i can build my build for the 190 i had in mind. The timber frame you ent with cost at lot at 75 thousand!

    €5750 materials and labour & vat for MHRV.

    The TF was €65K but that did include supply and fit of all insulation for internal walls and ceilings and putting an airtight membrane around the ceiling/attic space and they also supplied all the plasterboard. We could have done it ourselves but we preferred to pay them the extra to get it as airtight as possible. And we also paid them an extra €15K to upgrade the external wall size to get a better U-value. So if we went for the standard frame without all the extras we asked for, your prob talking about €40K.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11 tippman3


    thanks Mrs Fudge. Fair play


  • Registered Users Posts: 5 carrotdonut


    Hi everyone,

    Hoping to start new build in Summer, South Dublin , 4 bedroom 144 sqm/ 1550 sq feet. Pretty definitie going with turn key company. Wasn't cheapest quote but with them organising build and TF only taking 20 weeks, speed is vitally important for us. Quote is €178,000 for Kingspan TF including VAT and includes the following:

    Site clearance, BER A3/B1 on completion, Gas condensing boiler with 12 rads & chrome tower rails to en suite and bath, Solars, all hot and cold services, all wiring including pre wire for alarm and external lights (€4k), sum of €2k towards sanitary fittings, €6k allowance for supply & installation of kitchen and bedroom units, triple glazed tilt and turn windows and bi-fold doors from kitchen out to garden, painting of all walls and ceilings, labour for tiling to bathrooms en suite, kitchen and hallway (€1.5k), driveway.

    Doesn't include timber floors, Architect fees (€9k), fees to council (€15k), water or esb supply (€3k), road opening charges costs and fees.

    So looking at circa €115 per sq/ft not including fees etc. These figures sound good/normal?

    Thanks.


  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 43,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭ muffler


    @about2build...I hope you find directions to your own building site. You're on a bad run here :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭ about2build


    I know i know i'm havin a 'mare :eek: tired and only two weeks in...woe betide what lays in wait:rolleyes:


  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ isaos


    muffler wrote: »
    Right lads. This thread is being continually dragged off topic and if people are going to persist in doing so then I will remove their posting privileges. I'm getting a little fed up at having to continually post warnings so this will be the last.

    The following is posted in the very first post and people seriously need to take heed

    Isn't that a bit drastic, Muffler? If people weren't looking for info re prices, there surely wouldn't be any point in other people sharing their quotes and costs..? We are all trying to know what to expect in a very shaky economic situation. People asking for prices are people who are going to pay other people for jobs, don't bang too much on our head please.. :)


  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 43,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭ muffler


    isaos wrote: »
    Isn't that a bit drastic, Muffler? If people weren't looking for info re prices, there surely wouldn't be any point in other people sharing their quotes and costs..? We are all trying to know what to expect in a very shaky economic situation. People asking for prices are people who are going to pay other people for jobs, don't bang too much on our head please.. :)
    Do not derail a thread by disputing a moderators instructions. Same as everyone else you can have 5 days off to think about it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ wclarke20


    Hi all,
    I got quoted €88,000 for a closed panel timber frame from a Leinster company.
    This includes prefitted windows, electrical 1st fix, insulation and roof trusses, membrane and battons.


    Would be intereseted in hearing if anybody opted for a similar build and how its fairing out..


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭ Do-more


    wclarke20 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I got quoted €88,000 for a closed panel timber frame from a Leinster company.
    This includes prefitted windows, electrical 1st fix, insulation and roof trusses, membrane and battons.


    Would be intereseted in hearing if anybody opted for a similar build and how its fairing out..

    Can you give us some further info such as size and type of house (Dormer, 2 storey etc.) what sort of u-values for the walls, roof, windows and doors?

    invest4deepvalue.com



  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭ BryanF


    Do-more wrote: »
    Can you give us some further info such as size and type of house (Dormer, 2 storey etc.) what sort of u-values for the walls, roof, windows and doors?

    +1 and how/ what performance spec was written in regarding air-tightness?


  • Registered Users Posts: 3 isailkin


    Mrs. Fudge wrote: »
    Hi all,

    Have used this site many times throughout the duration of my build and now I want to share my costings with you.

    House details: 2500 sq ft – storey and a half in Meath.
    Build Type: Closed panel timber frame – the rest by direct labour.
    Started: July 9th 2011
    Moved in: January 26th 2012
    Duration of build: 6.5 months
    Total Cost of Build (Mortgage 185K and Savings of 21K): ~ 206K
    Short: 10K
    Site 0.75 Acre: 70K – purchased ourselves a few years ago
    Council charge – 12K – paid when site was bought


    Here’s the breakdown;

    Site Clearance & Foundations: €16,500
    - All materials/stones/digger hire/concrete/labour

    Scaffolding Hire: €1550 (family friend supplied it)


    Timber frame & Crane hire: €65,000
    - included erection of frame, felt and batten of roof and roof of garage (which was block built)
    - Supply and install of all insulation to ceiling & internal walls
    - Sealing around all window/door openings with airtight tape.
    - Supply of all plasterboard for internal walls
    - External wall valve U- 0.16, under sloping ceilings U- 0.12, under slopes U- 0.17.

    Window & Doors: €10,000
    - Triple glazed, argon filled, Upvc
    - Solid wood front door & double garage doors
    - UPVC back door and side garage door.
    - 3x Aluminium roof light

    Block Work: €9500

    - All external block work to house
    - Block built garage (500 sq foot)
    - Brown granite window cills (26 of them)
    - All lintels,
    - 1 Chimney/flue pipes
    - All sand and cement, blocks
    - Labour

    Roof Work: €14,500

    - Slates – fibre cement
    - Labour
    - Soffits/ fascia
    - All materials

    Slabbing, Skimming inside and Plastering outside: €13,000
    - Labour
    - All materials (except plasterboard which TF supplied)

    Plumbing: €32,000 – supply and install & commission of entire system

    - Floor insulation (6 inches)
    - Screed (4 inches)
    - 16 kw Air-to-water heat pump
    - UF to all downstairs
    - Aluminium rads upstairs
    - 300 L tank
    - Pressurised system
    - MHRV system
    - Sanitary wear (for 3 bathrooms)

    Electrics: €8500

    - Labour
    - All materials
    - Fixtures & fittings – external & internal

    Kitchen/Utility: €8200

    - Cream solid oak country style kitchen
    - Oak veneered utility
    - Granite including undermount sink and tap

    Externals: €15,000

    - Drilling well/ water test and pump (€3700)
    - Waste water treatment & Percolation (concrete tank €3400)
    - All drainage pipes
    - Labour

    Tiling: €6000

    - All tiles, grout, adhesive
    - tiles to kitchen/dining/utility/hall & 3 bathrooms
    - Labour

    Carpentry: €3500

    - 13 pre-engineered oak doors and lock sets/hinges
    - Red-deal skirting, architrave, doorframe and door stops (we painted these cream)
    - Windowboards
    - 3 Small rooms in laminate flooring
    - Labour

    Painting: €300
    - Materials only - painted it all ourselves.

    Appliances: €2900

    - washing machine, tumble dryer
    - Integrated larder fridge, undercounter freezer, integrated dishwasher
    - Belling classic electric cooker, microwave, kettle, toaster

    Short: €10,000

    - Stairs – approx €3500-€4000 for oak
    - Carpets to upstairs rooms & landing – approx €2500
    - Paths/ Kerbing - €3500

    Hope this give people some idea what to expect. Be prepared to get stuck in and hope that your boss is ok with you taking 20 phonecalls a day!!!

    Brilliant - this really made sense, thank you so much for your honesty, really helpful


  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭ liamolaighin


    Mrs. Fudge wrote: »
    Hi all,

    Have used this site many times throughout the duration of my build and now I want to share my costings with you.

    House details: 2500 sq ft – storey and a half in Meath.
    Build Type: Closed panel timber frame – the rest by direct labour.
    Started: July 9th 2011
    Moved in: January 26th 2012
    Duration of build: 6.5 months
    Total Cost of Build (Mortgage 185K and Savings of 21K): ~ 206K
    Short: 10K
    Site 0.75 Acre: 70K – purchased ourselves a few years ago
    Council charge – 12K – paid when site was bought


    Here’s the breakdown;

    Site Clearance & Foundations: €16,500
    - All materials/stones/digger hire/concrete/labour

    Scaffolding Hire: €1550 (family friend supplied it)


    Timber frame & Crane hire: €65,000
    - included erection of frame, felt and batten of roof and roof of garage (which was block built)
    - Supply and install of all insulation to ceiling & internal walls
    - Sealing around all window/door openings with airtight tape.
    - Supply of all plasterboard for internal walls
    - External wall valve U- 0.16, under sloping ceilings U- 0.12, under slopes U- 0.17.

    Window & Doors: €10,000
    - Triple glazed, argon filled, Upvc
    - Solid wood front door & double garage doors
    - UPVC back door and side garage door.
    - 3x Aluminium roof light

    Block Work: €9500

    - All external block work to house
    - Block built garage (500 sq foot)
    - Brown granite window cills (26 of them)
    - All lintels,
    - 1 Chimney/flue pipes
    - All sand and cement, blocks
    - Labour

    Roof Work: €14,500

    - Slates – fibre cement
    - Labour
    - Soffits/ fascia
    - All materials

    Slabbing, Skimming inside and Plastering outside: €13,000
    - Labour
    - All materials (except plasterboard which TF supplied)

    Plumbing: €32,000 – supply and install & commission of entire system

    - Floor insulation (6 inches)
    - Screed (4 inches)
    - 16 kw Air-to-water heat pump
    - UF to all downstairs
    - Aluminium rads upstairs
    - 300 L tank
    - Pressurised system
    - MHRV system
    - Sanitary wear (for 3 bathrooms)

    Electrics: €8500

    - Labour
    - All materials
    - Fixtures & fittings – external & internal

    Kitchen/Utility: €8200

    - Cream solid oak country style kitchen
    - Oak veneered utility
    - Granite including undermount sink and tap

    Externals: €15,000

    - Drilling well/ water test and pump (€3700)
    - Waste water treatment & Percolation (concrete tank €3400)
    - All drainage pipes
    - Labour

    Tiling: €6000

    - All tiles, grout, adhesive
    - tiles to kitchen/dining/utility/hall & 3 bathrooms
    - Labour

    Carpentry: €3500

    - 13 pre-engineered oak doors and lock sets/hinges
    - Red-deal skirting, architrave, doorframe and door stops (we painted these cream)
    - Windowboards
    - 3 Small rooms in laminate flooring
    - Labour

    Painting: €300
    - Materials only - painted it all ourselves.

    Appliances: €2900

    - washing machine, tumble dryer
    - Integrated larder fridge, undercounter freezer, integrated dishwasher
    - Belling classic electric cooker, microwave, kettle, toaster

    Short: €10,000

    - Stairs – approx €3500-€4000 for oak
    - Carpets to upstairs rooms & landing – approx €2500
    - Paths/ Kerbing - €3500

    Hope this give people some idea what to expect. Be prepared to get stuck in and hope that your boss is ok with you taking 20 phonecalls a day!!!

    Can I ask who supplied your windows and doors. That price is great. Im getting to that stage very soon.


  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭ lostinashford


    Have planning permission for and am awaiting mortgage decision for a 1636 sq ft extension/rebuild - my architect has given me a quite detailed preliminary estimate of €290,000 excl contingency fund, his fee, ESB, engineers fee etc...what does anyone think, his estimate runs to 4 pages and seems very comprehensive but seems very high given what I'm reading here!!!

    Don't know anything about this game but here are details...appreciate any comments on this price ( working out at roughly €180 sq ft for turn key finish)

    Job will include demolition of existing extensions (1022sq ft) and clearance of same.

    New build will wrap around remaining concrete original cottage - total 1636 sq ft, part of which is single story with flat roof, part one and half story.

    Proposed ground floor 1205sq ft, upper story 430 sq ft.

    Roof insulation Kingspan 60mm, cavity insulation Kingspan Kooltherm K8, Floor insulation Kingspan TF70.

    Triple glazed alu-clad windows through out

    Includes carpets/solid wood floors where appropriate, painting, built in wardrobes, mid-range kitchen, Quinn Merriot rads throughout

    2 evacuated solar panels + cylinder and pumps.

    Rain water collection tank, pumps, filters

    Built current regs using blocks

    Thanks for your time


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭ just do it


    his estimate runs to 4 pages and seems very comprehensive but seems very high given what I'm reading here!!!
    There are so many factors that bump up the price. Alot of the good quotes on here are from builders which probably wont include everything your architect has, including building to current building regulations. And these the items below will help bump up the price as well.
    Job will include demolition of existing extensions (1022sq ft) and clearance of same.

    New build will wrap around remaining concrete original cottage - total 1636 sq ft, part of which is single story with flat roof, part one and half story.

    Triple glazed alu-clad windows through out

    Includes carpets/solid wood floors where appropriate, painting, built in wardrobes, mid-range kitchen, Quinn Merriot rads throughout

    Rain water collection tank, pumps, filters

    Built current regs using blocks

    Hope this helps and best of luck. I've an architect on board as well and on the low days wonder is the expense worth it but there is no way we'd have designed as good a house with out him;)


  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭ lostinashford


    Hope this helps and best of luck. I've an architect on board as well and on the low days wonder is the expense worth it but there is no way we'd have designed as good a house with out him;)[/QUOTE]

    Our architect has been great, while he got a lot wrong at first (took a while to get on the same wavelength) once he really understood what we wanted he produced.

    Where are u in terms of costing?


  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ ShiverinEskimo


    About to start (finally after 2 and a half years of planning woes) a demolition of existing dwelling and building of a new 2400sqft dormer bungalow dwelling house. :)

    The successful tender came in at €229,000 so about €95 per sq. ft.

    Site is located outside Dundalk, Co. Louth. Winning contractor based locally.

    Basic details:
    Demolition and clearance of existing dwelling and shed
    Block build
    150mm pumped cavity w/ internal kingspan K17 drylining
    200mm Foamlok blown insulation in roof
    200mm underfloor insulation
    PC sum for air-tightness (tape, membrane, blower test etc.)
    MHRV
    Triple glazed windows with coloured insulated frames
    Underfloor heating downstairs, rads upstairs
    Includes walnut doors/skirting/archetraving, spanish natural slates, sanitary fittings,
    Includes perimiter wall along front of site, paving around house and kerbing around driveway.

    Excludes:
    Kitchen (Priced at ~13k)
    Tiling (Est. ~3k)
    Flooring/Carpeting (tbc)
    Gas fired boiler or air-source heatpump (tbc).


  • Registered Users Posts: 25 suckler man


    About 8 to 9 months ago our architect estimated our build to be about 100 euro per sq ft for a reasonably high-spec build. Due to delays in getting our plans together he now reckons it's down around 85 to 90 euro per sq ft on average for the same spec.

    Not concrete and based only on his experience at the moment but he seems to know what he's talking about.
    <SNIP>


  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 43,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭ muffler


    @ suckler man....have you read the mod warning in the very first post (as per thread title) and repeated umpteen different times throughout the thread?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭ fclauson


    150mm pumped cavity w/ internal kingspan K17 drylining
    Why this approach - have you read the posts about separating you insulation layers - this make up is prone to intestinal condensation (especially in this current weather)
    You should re-consider for a wide cavity which is safer




Advertisement