Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it wrong to be gay?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭A lemon

stephen_n wrote: »
    It would make the slightest bit of difference what race or minority you felt the need to choose, I'm sick of people using the argument "insert stereotype here" to try and explain or somehow reinforce a point about equality when all it does is prove that if you look hard enough everyone is in a minority grouping but somehow in the hierarchy being LGBT isn't good enough so we need to draw comparrisons with racism or some other ism to justify being what we are! And it comes up in every single thread involving anyone who's views are different to main stream acceptance!

That's a very warped/dramatic way of looking at it. I was simply drawing a comparison to show the poster a different perspective. I'm not "justifying myself" - the comparison doesn't reinforce a hierarchy, if anything it highlights the stupidity of such a hierarchy existing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

A lemon wrote: »
    That's a very warped/dramatic way of looking at it. I was simply drawing a comparison to show the poster a different perspective. I'm not "justifying myself" - the comparison doesn't reinforce a hierarchy, if anything it highlights the stupidity of such a hierarchy existing.

How is it warped or dramatic, please explain as neither of those words would seem to fit what I posted in any sense. I never said you were justifying yourself although by using the analogy I guess you are. Again please explain how using that analogy highlights the stupidity of a hierarchy of equality or offensiveness? Surely if it is stupid then your use of it in the original post was stupid as you felt compelled to make a comparison between racism and homophobia because you seemingly felt that this person might not like to called a racist but would have no problem with being called a homophobe:confused:

How is it warped or dramatic, please explain as neither of those words would seem to fit what I posted in any sense. I never said you were justifying yourself although by using the analogy I guess you are. Again please explain how using that analogy highlights the stupidity of a hierarchy of equality or offensiveness? Surely if it is stupid then your use of it in the original post was stupid as you felt compelled to make a comparison between racism and homophobia because you seemingly felt that this person might not like to called a racist but would have no problem with being called a homophobe:confused:

You implied that people who use the analogy are justifying who they are. You're looking at what I said from an unusually negative perspective and your argument seems a bit convoluted to me. I'm just as confused as you are. The analogy pretty much asks the person - why do you say that, when you would never say this? This causes the person to think about what they said. That's it. I'm sure the poster would have a problem with being called a homophobe - he clearly isn't. If that wasn't the case, why the hell would he give a crap about the comparison? I was challenging the posters wording, not trying to convert a rabid homophobe. He seems like a nice chap.
    :confused::confused::confused:

You implied that people who use the analogy are justifying who they are. You're looking at what I said from an unusually negative perspective and your argument seems a bit convoluted to me. I'm just as confused as you are. The analogy pretty much asks the person - why do you say that, when you would never say this? This causes the person to think about what they said. That's it. I'm sure the poster would have a problem with being called a homophobe - he clearly isn't. If that wasn't the case, why the hell would he give a crap about the comparison? I was challenging the posters wording, not trying to convert a rabid homophobe. He seems like a nice chap.
    :confused::confused::confused:

My point is and was I'm sick of that analogy being used, not I'm sick of you using it! Nothing convoluted about it, it's a bulls**t irrelevant analogy that gets used in every second thread on here, would you say I was convoluted if I was black? Has the same amount of relevance in my opinion!

would you say I was convoluted if I was black?

You mean - would I call your argument convoluted if you were black?

Why would it make a difference? I have no idea what your ethnicity is and I don't care, why would it affect my views? What are you implying?

• Advertisement

You mean - would I call your argument convoluted if you were black?

Why would it make a difference? I have no idea what your ethnicity is and I don't care, why would it affect my views? What are you implying?

I have no idea what your sexuality is and I don't care, why would it affect my views?

Changing a statement and inserting a different grouping is a ridiculous point to try and make.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

cooltown wrote: »
    but I keep reading stuff online saying that it was wrong to be gay and how it is bad and how it is an abomination to be gay.
    Would these be the same people who f**k little kids?

I have no idea what your sexuality is and I don't care, why would it affect my views?

Changing a statement and inserting a different grouping is a ridiculous point to try and make.

Strawman-motivational.jpg

Advertisement