Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it wrong to be gay?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cooltown

I know now with all the advice it's okay to be gay. I don't know what I was thinking the other night. I just kept of reading stuff and it started to get me down. I am 100% sure that there's nothing wrong with being gay. I know some people will never accept me but what difference does that make really!
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Azure_sky wrote: »
    We were just as backwards as they were not too long ago. Poverty, fundamentalist religion and no exposure to international media is a breeding ground for backwardsness.

Are you talking about America or Africa? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

stephen_n wrote: »
    Are you talking about America or Africa? :D

Both!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

cooltown wrote: »
    I know some people will never accept me but what difference does that make really!
    Remember that they're not not accepting you because you're gay per se, but because they're narrow-minded. Thinking like this shifts the focus off you and onto their own problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Quentinkrisp

OP, there's absolutely fuck all wrong with being gay.fuck all.any scientific/psychological/religious arguments against homosexuality have LONG since been disproved and discredited. any of these sites that you've been visiting where they tell you that being gay is wrong have been set up by bitter, twisted losers with serious issues about their sexuality. I've been confronted by so much homophobia in my life that by now I've learned to laugh and pity the poor fool who's delivering it, and so should you!:):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

Both!:p

As backwards as America is in some aspects, millions of Americans in five states and one federal district can legally marry a same-sex partner. We're still waiting for this in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Nothing wrong with being gay cooltown. If its not gay people, those websites would be attacking some other group.

As backwards as America is in some aspects, millions of Americans in five states and one federal district can legally marry a same-sex partner. We're still waiting for this in Ireland.

I think that's due to politicians dragging their heels more than the average Irish mentality. Same with the transgender recognition act, though Irish people are probably less exposed to trans people than Yanks-and have more misconceptions because of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I think that's due to politicians dragging their heels more than the average Irish mentality. Same with the transgender recognition act, though Irish people are probably less exposed to trans people than Yanks-and have more misconceptions because of that.

Would that go to a referundum? Like the divorce vote?

Or is just a bill in the Dáil?

Sorry for the questions, I'm just interested to know if I get a vote on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure there is not going to be a referendum on it. It will be passed by the Dail as it violates human rights.

http://www.tranniehaven.com/genderrecognitionactIRE.html

• Registered Users Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Dail Bill

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I keep reading stuff online saying that it was wrong to be gay and how it is bad and how it is an abomination to be gay.

Lots of people say lots of things on the internet. If you want to know if what they are saying is true or not then look at the reasons they give and ask yourself are they valid.

Often - nearly all the time in fact - you will find they are just saying so and that is it. They will not give a single piece of back up for their opinion. Usually instead they will make up an imaginary friend.... say god for example... and then pretend this friend agrees with them too so they must be right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭DS333

Those who believe that God is on their side will never change.:mad::(

God will have to deal with them himself.:D

Folks this thread isnt about beliefs in God

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭DS333

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Folks this thread isnt about beliefs in God

:confused::confused::confused:

Lord above, is it possible to introduce the concepts of right and wrong without God and religion rearing their heads? Who exactly do you think is declaring that it is wrong to be gay, if it isn't religious factions?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Craebear

It's more wrong to be a Fianna Fail supporter.

Craebear wrote: »
    It's more wrong to be a Fianna Fail supporter.

well now - the bible doesn't say anything about supporting FF :D

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

That's a bit like asking is it wrong to have red hair, is it wrong to like Biffo, is it wrong to expect your gf to have a shave down there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP, speaking as a straight guy I would say that it's fine to be gay. Exaggerated gayness annoys me though - it's an act, and a poor one at that. Lisping, histronics, trying desparately to be one of the girls etc - that's exaggerated homosexuality and it gives gay guys a bad name. If you're not born with a lisp you're not going to develop one accidentally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭A lemon

Confab wrote: »
    OP, speaking as a straight guy I would say that it's fine to be gay. Exaggerated gayness annoys me though - it's an act, and a poor one at that. Lisping, histronics, trying desparately to be one of the girls etc - that's exaggerated homosexuality and it gives gay guys a bad name. If you're not born with a lisp you're not going to develop one accidentally.

Exaggerated homosexuality? What on earth is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

A lemon wrote: »
    Exaggerated homosexuality? What on earth is that?

Read my post again.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cooltown

I know it not wrong to be gay`now. I am sorry if I offend anybody. It's just the views of some people and I just have to accept that there views aren't changing.
    At least I know now I am gay and thats not changing and I am actually kind of happy about it now!

Confab wrote: »
    Read my post again.

Is it wrong to be black?

OP, speaking as a white guy I would say that it's fine to be black. Exaggerated blackness annoys me though - it's an act, and a poor one at that. Rapping, eating chicken wings, trying desperately to be a tough guy etc - that's exaggerated blackness and it gives black guys a bad name. If you're not born with a swagger you're not going to develop one accidentally.

I'm not going to lie, I don't care too much about what you said at all, I'm bored and I like to force my sometimes odd perspective on people. I mean, I've met plenty of gay guys who believe in the spectrum of gayness among people who are equally gay. I get it, it's hardly serious language, but it has always seemed absurd to me - if a certain gay guy annoys you, it's not because of "exaggerated gayness". Similarly, if you're friends with a gay guy, it's not because he has an acceptable level of gayness. The two guys may have completely different personalities, but they're both equally gay. Right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭SparkyTech

If a certain gay guy annoys you, it's not because of "exaggerated gayness". Similarly, if you're friends with a gay guy, it's not because he has an acceptable level of gayness. The two guys may have completely different personalities, but they're both equally gay. Right?

Agree with you.

If I don't hit it off with another man, weather that be platonic or amorously, its because of his personality and common interests, not weather he's at the top end of flamboyancy or on the flip-side too ''straight'' acting for my liking.

Is it wrong to be black?

OP, speaking as a white guy I would say that it's fine to be black. Exaggerated blackness annoys me though - it's an act, and a poor one at that. Rapping, eating chicken wings, trying desperately to be a tough guy etc - that's exaggerated blackness and it gives black guys a bad name. If you're not born with a swagger you're not going to develop one accidentally.

I'm not going to lie, I don't care too much about what you said at all, I'm bored and I like to force my sometimes odd perspective on people. I mean, I've met plenty of gay guys who believe in the spectrum of gayness among people who are equally gay. I get it, it's hardly serious language, but it has always seemed absurd to me - if a certain gay guy annoys you, it's not because of "exaggerated gayness". Similarly, if you're friends with a gay guy, it's not because he has an acceptable level of gayness. The two guys may have completely different personalities, but they're both equally gay. Right?

God I'm so tired of people using that argument for everything jesus it must be terrible to be black and gay!

stephen_n wrote: »
    God I'm so tired of people using that argument for everything jesus it must be terrible to be black and gay!

I was just playing with Confab's words to show him why they make no sense - no reason to get all fixated on the black part. Left-handed, Asian, Blind, whatever, who cares? The argument is still the same. Perhaps I should have been more inventive :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ASVM

Is it wrong to be gay?
    I have mostly accepted myself but I keep reading stuff online saying that it was wrong to be gay and how it is bad and how it is an abomination to be gay.
    So what i'm really saying is. Is it really wrong to be gay?
    Don't read that stuff. You are what you are.There is nothing wrong with being gay, love yourself come to terms with who you are and go forward and enjoy your life! Who cares what people think:)

I know it not wrong to be gay`now. I am sorry if I offend anybody. It's just the views of some people and I just have to accept that there views aren't changing.At least I know now I am gay and thats not changing and I am actually kind of happy about it now!

That's the spirit! Be your own person and it'll stand to you, especially as you get older. If someone ever takes issue with your sexuality, that's their shame, not yours.:)

• Advertisement

I was just playing with Confab's words to show him why they make no sense - no reason to get all fixated on the black part. Left-handed, Asian, Blind, whatever, who cares? The argument is still the same. Perhaps I should have been more inventive :rolleyes:

It would make the slightest bit of difference what race or minority you felt the need to choose, I'm sick of people using the argument "insert stereotype here" to try and explain or somehow reinforce a point about equality when all it does is prove that if you look hard enough everyone is in a minority grouping but somehow in the hierarchy being LGBT isn't good enough so we need to draw comparrisons with racism or some other ism to justify being what we are! And it comes up in every single thread involving anyone who's views are different to main stream acceptance!

Advertisement