Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

birds falling from sky in states

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

On the bird thing, because this probably would not affect fish..

What about a sonic boom? Loud booms were heard in Arkansas and the Louisiana event was only 300 miles away. If a military jet was breaking the sound barrier, could the sonic boom have killed the birds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Saruman wrote: »

What about a sonic boom? Loud booms were heard in Arkansas and the Louisiana event was only 300 miles away. If a military jet was breaking the sound barrier, could the sonic boom have killed the birds?

WHEW!! I thought you said Sonic the Hedgehog.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Saruman wrote: »

Unlikely, there have been frequent sonic booms for more than 40 years now . .the concorde would have caused extinction of some species if it did!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Hitchcock??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Unlikely, there have been frequent sonic booms for more than 40 years now . .the concorde would have caused extinction of some species if it did!!!

Ah not so, I did not elaborate on this because I thought it was common knowledge.

I could be wrong but I think it is illegal to go faster than sound over the continental USA and probably most other countries. At least commercially.
    Concorde only went faster than sound once over the Atlantic.
    I reckon the military are also restricted except in special circumstances so if there was a test of some kind, that might explain it.

Again, I may be wrong on that but I am sure that was the case.

*waits to be put in place....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

There have been numerous cases of wild animals being killed in large numbers throughout the states in the last few years but none have achieved any main stream media attention.

There is an countrywide enviromental issue developing due to the massive development of shale gas extraction. This trillion dollar industry is running completely unregulated and thanks to Mr Bush and his sidekick Mr Cheney (former CEO of Halliburton oil and gas company) it is exempt from the clean water act which means it can pour toxins and carcinogens into the environment without fear of prosecution. These inevitably get into the water and atmosphere.

These shale gas deposits are being found all over the world and major oil company money is being pumped into the US market to gain expertise which can then be used to extract shale gas closer to home e.g. Statoil who have set there stall out to extract shale gas all over europe.

It is a very destructive process which irreversibly polutes the water aquifers this is local to the drilling or fracking process but ultimately affects everyone and it vents huge amounts of toxic and greenhouse gasses directly into the atmosphere.

Check out the documentary GasLand by Josh Fox which he produced when he was approched by a gas exploration company to let them drill on his land.

Advertisement