Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

birds falling from sky in states

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Initial reports suggest that new years fireworks startled/panicked the birds, although toxicology tests have yet to be carried out to rule out other possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The weird thing I saw somewhere was the amount of one type of Fish dead about 30 miles away as well

Funny how during fourth of july celebrations, there were no reports of startled birds, or during start of hunting season.
    also, there were reoprts of dead fish. wonder what startled them :)

Wonder what is causing it. Arkansas, Louisiana, Kentucky reporting same thing.

Brazil also reporting fish kills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

now this worries me.

• Advertisement

drdeadlift wrote: »
    now this worries me.

Dont, the authourities have it all under control. Mustnt worry :)

:eek:

Funny how the sent teams out in haz mat suits to collect them too. Alos warnings to the public, not to touch either the birds or the fish.

Now if they think the dead birds were startled, why would they warn public not to touch them, can we catch the 'Startle?' LOL
    Ive been watching this story for days, just gets more bizarre.

There is a rumour that Arkansas is sitting on a Super Cauldera, thus emitting gases that are killing the wildlife.

heres a link to the Dead Birds scene in Flash Forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPToDj16Xx0&feature=player_embedded
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I wouldnt think fireworks would kill so many over that large area
    I also heard of a second bird kill where no fireworks were close by at the end of the video on the second link which put me thinking could it be anything to do with weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Bird flu and fish flu

Bird flu and fish flu

could well be. China and Korea and Japan, have bird issues according to the RSOE map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,351 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Other causes of the Arkansas bird mystery might involve the strong weather system that was in the region and caused damaging tornadoes during the same day. It is speculated that the birds may have been hit by a hail shower or that they encountered a low level wind max some distance from where they fell, while people on the ground were spared these local effects. Arkansas is fairly hilly and the weather in frontal situations can break down into rather chaotic meso-scale patterns so what you experience in one place, could be a lot different from a few miles away. Speculation is that the birds were either killed or badly hurt in some extreme weather and that their flight momentum and the remaining wind profile brought them down in this town but whatever happened was likely directly over an unpopulated area west of the town -- even if that were just 1-2 miles away, you can imagine with hills, trees and low clouds in the picture, people might not have seen much evidence of severe weather at that time.

Other causes of the Arkansas bird mystery might involve the strong weather system that was in the region and caused damaging tornadoes during the same day. It is speculated that the birds may have been hit by a hail shower or that they encountered a low level wind max some distance from where they fell, while people on the ground were spared these local effects. Arkansas is fairly hilly and the weather in frontal situations can break down into rather chaotic meso-scale patterns so what you experience in one place, could be a lot different from a few miles away. Speculation is that the birds were either killed or badly hurt in some extreme weather and that their flight momentum and the remaining wind profile brought them down in this town but whatever happened was likely directly over an unpopulated area west of the town -- even if that were just 1-2 miles away, you can imagine with hills, trees and low clouds in the picture, people might not have seen much evidence of severe weather at that time.

Could same weather effect the fish though MT?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

i think that our freak weather is the beginning of something big and the wildlife such as birds and fish are next to be affected and that the mian calender prediction may be accurate. i mean birds falling from the sky. freaky. just watch the first few minutes of the core when all the birds go mad in Trafalgar square and simular incidents occur all over the world. i was reading about a giant sink hole that appeared somewhere in south america last year the size of a city block. thats worrying

SNAKEDOC wrote: »
    i think that our freak weather is the beginning of something big and the wildlife such as birds and fish are next to be affected and that the mian calender prediction may be accurate. i mean birds falling from the sky. freaky. just watch the first few minutes of the core when all the birds go mad in Trafalgar square and simular incidents occur all over the world. i was reading about a giant sink hole that appeared somewhere in south america last year the size of a city block. thats worrying

Funnily enough, both movies The Core and The Birds were on tv, the day this news was relased. :)

I must get a copy of The Core.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

apparently this is not the first time this has happened
    A street sweeper in San Luis Obispo, on the central California coast, reportedly was the first to discover a large-scale bird die-off that occurred there in 1976. On the morning of Nov. 24, he found hundreds of dead blackbirds and pigeons lying in the town's downtown area, and for two days the denizens of San Luis Obispo witnessed intermittent showers of dead birds. The California Department of Fish and Game speculated the birds were somehow poisoned, and later, California Polytechnic University admitted to setting out poison grains in a field near San Luis Obispo, in an attempt to control the bird population. Between 400 and 600 birds died as a result.

There are countless stories reported of strange things falling from the sky including fish, frogs and many more. These stories are nearly always accounted for by some sort meteorological disturbance.

fizzycyst wrote: »

Stranger and strangerer...
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

NEWS JUST IN - Why dead birds fell from skyover Arkansas? confirmed: dead birds can't fly

what they say on RSOE

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/woalert_read.php?cid=29064

gruesome little pic of the dead birds lying around. Just the sight of them is creepy to me.

and heres what they say re: the fishesezzz, covers 20 mile section of river

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/woalert_read.php?cid=29045

aslo report on there regarding new zealand where snapper fish are washing up on shore.

So I know all this isnt new, fish and birds have died in these ways before, but it just seems over the last few days, there are an awful lot of storys cropping up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

scary stuff :( birds and fish dying like that unnatural

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭nick 56

Whats happening to the bees. It is reported in todays (english) Guardian that in the USA wild bees , bumble etc are almost all gone killed by nobody seems to know what

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

not sure if anyone's raised this - but could the sick bird thing be because they were eating the bloody sick fish??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

just read on IWO more birds fell from sky this time in Louisiana,not sure of full story

Edit :sorry Wolfe if you were goina post this

delw wrote: »
    just read on IWO more birds fell from sky this time in Louisiana,not sure of full story

Edit :sorry Wolfe if you were goina post this
    if you look near the top of this page it has already been reported :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

fizzycyst wrote: »
    if you look near the top of this page it has already been reported :)
    oops my bad :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭secman

The consensus is that the bird kill on new years eve was due to the large flock being spooked by the fire work display and the birds tried to fly in darkness. The majority of the birds had damaged limbs, wings etc basically thousands of birds took flight in darkness and scared wittless by the fireworks, well ...........they all crashed ! There was no poison involved as several tests were carried out.

Its true........

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭beatrice33

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article8370375.ab

translation
    The mass death of birds has reached Sweden.

The U.S. has already dropped thousands of dead from the sky.

- I thought immediately that there must be a connection, "said Drilon Hulaj, 23, who discovered hundreds of dead birds in the middle of the street in Falkirk last night.

Streets, rooftops and lawns were covered by thousands of black birds in Beebe Arkansas in the United States on New Year's Day.

And now, the mass death reached Sweden. On the way home from work just before midnight saw Drilon Hulaj and his peers colleagues suddenly to the street in front of them was studded with black fågellik, probably jackdaws.
    "Link"

- We drove quite slowly and slowed down. I stepped out and took a picture. We had read about bird death in the U.S. and thought it must be a connection, "said Drilon.

In the United States began the birds - red wine inserted icterids - fall from the dark night sky at midnight on New Year's Eve. Researchers thought they may have rushed to death by fireworks.
    Road blocked

- We had to call ten to twelve in the night, went to the street and noted that there were about 100 dead or nearly dead birds, "says Andreas Wedebrand, internal officers of the police in Skövde.

The police then contacted the County Board, the municipality and Räddningsstjänsten, who decided to cordon off the road. This morning police shoveled away the dead birds after a district veterinary been in place, picking up five for further tests.

- We are waiting to hear from the vet before we do anything more with the dead birds. We want the directive on how to deal with them, "says Christer Olofsson, head of operations at Rädddningstjänsten Falkirk.

For security reasons, it has also placed staff at the dead birds to prevent the public coming into contact with them.
    "Flying to death"

Ornithologist Anders Wirdheim surprising finding in Falkirk.

- This was unusual! Probably the jackdaws. They winter in large flocks. If they are exposed to repeated disturbances at night, they can become so stressed that they fly themselves to death. Either they die of exhaustion or so, they fly into the wires, branches, and the master of darkness.

Yet the macabre discovery mysterious - it was several days after New Year celebrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

beatrice33 wrote: »

This is very freaky, I wonder why is seems to be mostly crows and Jackdaws?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

secman wrote: »
    The consensus is that the bird kill on new years eve was due to the large flock being spooked by the fire work display Secman

I think this is a too loose explanation. Fireworks are regular features at regular times throughout the world. So I'd expect trillions of dead birds and to have had trillions of dead birds for 20s of years already.

Birds dying enmass is not unheard of, we had an incident in Cork when I was a boy [and I'm not talking about the pest Pigeon exterminations].

A worrying factor here is the dead fish. A connection between may be a clue. The birds in would not have eaten the fish either, but I'd have to research that, that species don't fish [off hand].

Advertisement