Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas to improve the Irish economy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

1. Produce state 'Debt-Free' money,
    2. do away with the Fractional Reserve banking system
    3. Default on our IMF/EU bailout
    4. Take back our Gas/oil resources

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

New political parties - hundreds of them right across the spectrum all working together for a common purpose - economic growth. We need an end to the competition. Tribalism in Irish politics has held us back - who cares who's granddaddy took Devs side, it's 2011!

On the outside, we look like a modern society but we havent changed the way we govern ourselves since WW2. Deep inside, our system is dying and we are behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

anorange wrote: »
    Somehow, I don't think you can compare legalising cannabis with legalising paedophilia.
    ...at least heroine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

There is an old whaling station on Achill Island

There is money to be made in whaling, the Japs do it extensively.

I'm sure there are opportunities in the North Atlantic, just have to ignore a few hippies and possibly check if Ireland has signed some agreement here

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭pagancornflake

anorange wrote: »
    What ideas do you have that might turn things around for our country?

KILL EVERYONE IMMEDIATELY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Drink it down.
    Then when everyone's a drunk tramp, things will automatically get better!!

or

Form an army and Pillage Scotland!!

Drink it down.
    Then when everyone's a drunk tramp, things will automatically get better!!

or

Form an army and Pillage Scotland!!

The Scottish are tough though. We may need to invest in poison to put in their shortbread

and their heroin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

Full Fees for 3rd level education

Start a state run bank thAT loans THE full cost of fees to students at a no-profit intrest rate, all students guranteed loan if they get a place in any course

start repayments when professionals start to earn above a certain level, automatic deductions similar to a levy

this will free up capital that is currently used to subsidise fees, the capital required could come from the NPRF and be paid back over 20-40 years

Further to financing students in undergrad courses money would be provided to students pursuing masters etc, 2nd degrees and potentially part funding phds

Money saved in the short term needs to be partially used to increase the currently laughable student grant

Students are a great group to spend, no fear in giving them more money in hard times

Also seeing as students essentially will be paying their own way in 3rd level they will likely demand higher standards of themselves and their lecturers

BETTER EDUCATION. MORE MONEY IN THE ECONOMY. REDUCED COST TO TAX PAYER. MORE EQUAL ACCESS TO EDUCATION

spagboll wrote: »

Start a state run bank thAT loans THE full cost of fees to students at a no-profit intrest rate, all students guranteed loan if they get a place in any course

start repayments when professionals start to earn above a certain level, automatic deductions similar to a levy

Levies which could be avoided by emigrating after graduating.

Levies which could be avoided by emigrating after graduating.
    your negativity is whats wrong with the this country haha take that with a pinch of salt

i don't have all the answers

maybe people would have to declare their earnings overseas in order to keep their passport and pay the levy on such etc, a bit big brothery for me but there must be a way.......maybe something to do with their kids ever using the system with outstanding debts in a family that is earning above a certain threshold

how do banks deal with people that bugger off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Cathal O

How about an announced lowered vat level across everything except perhaps cigarettes and petrol/diesal for the first two weeks of the year alone, it will allow businesses to increase sale at the start of the year which is vital to the future year, stop cross border shopping which is at its height at the start of the year and will allow customer confidence on the streets to sky rocket, although it will lead to people stock buying it will also allow pople to treat themselves to items they couldnt previously affort and therefore boost spending further. I might just be thinking out loud, and im no economist or anything so id love to hear everyones thoughts on this, even if its ripping it to shreads :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Rape the fukcing heads off everybody. It might not fix the economy but it'll make everybody think about something else for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Grassroots_FF

first off we need to stop the whinging and begrudgery. Sometimes I think Irish people would prefer the rich were poorer than if their own situations were improved. Unemployed people need to get up off their arses and start knocking on doors looking for jobs instead of waiting for handouts.

first off we need to stop the whinging and begrudgery. Sometimes I think Irish people would prefer the rich were poorer than if their own situations were improved. Unemployed people need to get up off their arses and start knocking on doors looking for jobs instead of waiting for handouts.

Obvious troll is obvious.

I'm not a troll, I'm a capitalist. I have no time for pinkos who think everyone else owes them a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I'm a capitalist.

A student who never had to work?

Grimes wrote: »
    A student who never had to work?

I worked in my uncle's pubs all the way through college

I worked in my uncle's pubs all the way through college

Isnt he a mental Fianna Failer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

There is an old whaling station on Achill Island There is money to be made in whaling, the Japs do it extensively.

I like that idea, some of them whales are hugh and the sea is full of them

internet geek is on the internet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

All 'off-license' type places to cease selling alcohol.
    Sale of alcohol outside 'on-license' places to be controlled solely by the government.
    All profit goes straight into the government, prices can be reduced a little or a lot, government makes tons of cash and gains popularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I'm not a troll, I'm a capitalist. I have no time for pinkos who think everyone else owes them a living.

Your saint bertie claimed he was a pinko.....

galwayrush wrote: »
    Your saint bertie claimed he was a pinko.....

I prefer Fianna Failers like Charlie McCreevy and Brian Lenihan jnr

I prefer Fianna Failers like Charlie McCreevy and Brian Lenihan jnr

So you are kind of admitting that the ex taoseach was a bit shite?

Grimes wrote: »
    So you are kind of admitting that the ex taoseach was a bit shite?

I think he was far too loose with the purse strings. Welfare and public sector pay should have been benchmarked against Britain.

your negativity is whats wrong with the this country haha take that with a pinch of salt

Yes. Asking questions in the persuit of clarity is what is wrong with Ireland today. We should probably just accept policies and hope for the best instead.

^this is my sarcasm :)
    i don't have all the answers

Agreed.
    maybe people would have to declare their earnings overseas in order to keep their passport

This is quite contingent on the citizenship criteria existing in other countries. If I can get a passport or visa to work elsewhere using my free degree, then what would I want with my passport?
    how do banks deal with people that bugger off?

Good point. I'd imagine that there is quite a distinct difference between taking out a loan, and being the recipient of ubiquitous third level provision though?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

Welfare and public sector pay should have been benchmarked against Britain.
    Oh man that's another big thing, Britain's in an absolute fcuking state and yet we still copy them in more or less every regard (as we've for some weird reason been doing since independence)
    We should all pay attention to some of the countries who aren't such failures and maybe try model ourselves after them?
    With the aul unique Irish twist obviously!:D

I'm a pinko, and I do not think or claim that anyone owes me a living. I think that people are obliged to conduct themselves and their business such that others are spared the causal deterministic preclusion of making a living for themselves and that when it is the case that this obligation is abrogated, people are perfectly entitled to "whinge".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 anorange

this will free up capital that is currently used to subsidise fees, the capital required could come from the NPRF and be paid back over 20-40 years

Further to financing students in undergrad courses money would be provided to students pursuing masters etc, 2nd degrees and potentially part funding phds

Money saved in the short term needs to be partially used to increase the currently laughable student grant

Students are a great group to spend, no fear in giving them more money in hard times

Also seeing as students essentially will be paying their own way in 3rd level they will likely demand higher standards of themselves and their lecturers

BETTER EDUCATION. MORE MONEY IN THE ECONOMY. REDUCED COST TO TAX PAYER. MORE EQUAL ACCESS TO EDUCATION

This doesn't sound like a bad idea.

We could have reciprocal tax agreements with other countries to ensure people don't try to avoid paying back the loans by emigrating. It's quite commonly done, but I don't know why Ireland doesn't do it.
    It might even help prevent tax evasion/avoidance.

• Advertisement

I can't believe it; he's serious. WE ACTUALLY ARE FUKCED.

Advertisement