Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Views of Irish political parties on LGBT issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

What does it mean by Grassroots?

If that's just one lone FF supporter then the whole party can't be tarred with his image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

What does it mean by Grassroots?

If that's just one lone FF supporter then the whole party can't be tarred with his image.

I don't think there is any flesh left on this party to be tarred further.
    Grassroots FF is a FF organisation.

FIANNA FÁIL’S strong grassroots organisation across the country, and particularly in rural areas, will save it from oblivion in the next election, Minister for Social Protection Éamon Ó Cuív has said.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0103/1224286668890.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Louisevb wrote: »
    So what would you rather have a more equal and just society or one which is very unequal but is financially sound? Labour have the policies and you will see these closer to the election... At this stage it's a game of poker as no party wil detail it's policies until the election is formally called because at this stage ideas for reforming the economy etc. will be stolen and what you are feeding into is a game of chicken and you've bought it.. Have patience

I'm not just talking economics verses social inclusion. I'm making the point that voting on single issues for national government is what got us in this mess in the first place. Electing local counselors to get good roads and services who haven't got the first idea how to run the country, instead of electing people who are capeable of running a fair an equitable country that we deserve.

This again is a huge problem with this country and the party political system, they are too busy trying to score political points rather than actually working to fix the problem. Labour won't put forward ideas in case Fianna FAIL implement them and try and claim credit, childish and unpatriotic by people that don't deserve the job.

The policies for all parties should be open and transparent so people know exactly what and who they are voting for!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Louisevb

ninty9er wrote: »
    The fact that the other parties don't have specific LGBT sections actually makes me respect them more. What's special about LGBT individuals above, for example immigrants, students (youth wings aren't for students), public servants, civil servants, black people.

This mollycoddling of special interest groups irks me to the core. I agree with some of what is said by crayolastereo below:

I don't believe you need specific sections, because issues change and sections/committees remain wasting everyone's time, I see it week in, week out in my job.

Issues should be discussed by anyone interested at such a time as they are next on the list of priorities. Different groups of interested parties, regardless of membership of a section should be able to come together to discuss issues.

I was consulted on the Ógra policy as a FF member and in terms of the final product it was actually restrained by those who have reservations rather than being a completely populist idea. The support of some was not easy won to make this an official policy, but it has become one. There is no point trying to paint any party as the bastion of anything, let alone LGBT, because there will always be a body of people in any party that disagree with every policy of the party.

In any case this is not a sudden enlightenment with an election due. A number of months work were put in and it was finally approved by the Youth Committee in February of last year.

With respect that is a pretty naive statement on groups within a party. Not all party members are aware of specific issues and small groups can and do act as pressure groups to raise awareness and to educate, and it's not just on LGBT issues either. There are a number of minorities whose voices are not raised to any degree, that is why we end up with people like Sean Heally etc. putting the case for victims of poverty. As I assume you are a member of FF one example is the abominable delay and opposition by FF in bringing forward legislation on gender recognition which has taken until now from 2002 and the original judgment of the ECHR

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Grassroots_FF

Fianna Fáil brought in legislation for civil partnerships. The precious Labour party never did that when they when in government. Gay people can feel confident that FF will represent them. Things are different to 30 years ago.

• Advertisement

Fianna Fáil brought in legislation for civil partnerships. The precious Labour party never did that when they when in government. Gay people can feel confident that FF will represent them. Things are different to 30 years ago.

I think you will find the Green Party pushed that agenda not Fianna FAIL!

Also how can you say that a party which can't detach itself from the catholic church is the best party to represent LGBT issues, since the catholic church does not accept LGBT people?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Except no-one wanted CP. We wanted civil marriage, and you gave us an offensive half measure. FF fought Lydia Foy for years, hardly sounds lgbt friendly to me.

stephen_n wrote: »
    I think you will find the Green Party pushed that agenda not Fianna FAIL!

Also how can you say that a party which can't detach itself from the catholic church is the best party to represent LGBT issues, since the catholic church does not accept LGBT people?

It was an FF government who voted it through. I don't remember Labour or Fine Gael doing anything for gays the last time they were in power.

Except no-one wanted CP. We wanted civil marriage, and you gave us an offensive half measure. FF fought Lydia Foy for years, hardly sounds lgbt friendly to me.

Some people are never happy no matter what they get. My uncle always says "never look a gift horse in the mouth".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Excellent point, CS, that no gay people actually wanted CP.

And yes, FF may have brought in partnerships, but that's only after 14 years in government. Hardly something to boast about.

• Advertisement

@Grassroots:
    I'd rather send that long-toothed mare to the knackers, and wait for a trusty colt.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Some people are never happy no matter what they get. My uncle always says "never look a gift horse in the mouth".

Uncle Bertie is it?

Aard wrote: »
    @Grassroots:
    I'd rather send that long-toothed mare to the knackers, and wait for a trusty colt.

Well you won't get it from Fine Gael. Do you think Enda Kenny, an old rural conservative from the bogs of Mayo would support full gay marriage?

FF have been the most gay friendly party. We de-criminalised homosexuality when Maire Geoghan Quinn was Justice mininister in the early 90s and now brought in partnerships. That's fair going imo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was an FF government who voted it through. I don't remember Labour or Fine Gael doing anything for gays the last time they were in power.
    you've a very bad memory then

Where to begin - Last time Labour were in government was 1992 - 1997

The Norris case in the ECHR was delivered in 1988 - The PDs demanded that decriminalisation would be delivered between 1989 and 1992 - FF wouldn't do it

Labour demanded this be done entering government in 1992 and forced FF to do it

In 1992 Labour demanded that a government department be assigned to specifically equality and law reform - It was Mervyn Taylor - Labour party minister who was the architect of equality laws in this country to protect people from discrimination

As well as this Labour forced the issue of partnership rights more than other party in this country - we adopted policy on it as far back as 1997 just as we were leaving government -, our senators supported David Norriss civil partnership bill around 2002/2003 in 2004 our LGBT section was founded Labour then bought forward private members bills on CP in the Dail in 2006 and 2007

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

As Johhny points out you have a very short memory and it is a Fianna FAIL coalition that voted it through at the behest of there junior partners. Are you claiming responseabilty for the carbon levy and the ban on fox hunting too?
    Well you won't get it from Fine Gael. Do you think Enda Kenny, an old rural conservative from the bogs of Mayo would support full gay marriage?

Strange that coming from a party that has a huge rural support and who will be doing it's main campaigning at church gates in a lot of those rural communities. If you are the standard of the next generation of Fianna FAILers then I might get my wish and see the end of that party in this country, or is it just typical two faced politics where you try and be all things to all people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭happy_feet

My opinion on all this?

Don't feed the troll.

I do however find his pathetic attempts to make FF sound like a half decent party rather amusing.

happy_feet wrote: »
    My opinion on all this?

Don't feed the troll.

I do however find his pathetic attempts to make FF sound like a half decent party rather amusing.

He's not trolling he's campaigning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

FF have been the most gay friendly party. We de-criminalised homosexuality when Maire Geoghan Quinn was Justice mininister in the early 90s and now brought in partnerships. That's fair going imo

You do realise that you're talking to the one group of people who in all likelihood are fully aware of the circumstances surrounding the legalisation of homosexuality and Fianna Fails opposition to it. You might get somewhere if you argued Fianna Fail is no longer that political party, but to suggest it never was that political party is a blatant attempt at spin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭happy_feet

He's not trolling he's campaigning!

My apologies. That should have read, ''Don't feed the gob****e''.

Can't wait till FF get voted out. Day can't come any sooner!

No I don't believe in old Enda, and I'm not expecting it from Fine Gael. However, I don't have faith either in the "grassroots" FF members: essentially pensioners, farmers, and the socially conservative.
    FF have been the most gay friendly party who have been in government. What about the other parties who advocate marriage? Decriminalisation happened because of Mary Robinson and David Norris, after a court case against the state, i.e. FF, who conceded. Not exactly pro-active.

Partnerships were brought in by the Green Party. Tell me, why did they drag their feet for so long on the partnership issue?

• Advertisement

Strange that coming from a party that has a huge rural support and who will be doing it's main campaigning at church gates in a lot of those rural communities. If you are the standard of the next generation of Fianna FAILers then I might get my wish and see the end of that party in this country, or is it just typical two faced politics where you try and be all things to all people.

Nothing wrong with going to church. I'm just pointing out that Enda Kenny is not a modern man who understands what changes are needs. Personnally I'd support gay marriage and getting more gay people active in the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Louisevb

Nothing wrong with going to church. I'm just pointing out that Enda Kenny is not a modern man who understands what changes are needs. Personnally I'd support gay marriage and getting more gay people active in the party.

Can I also add that it took 8 years for FF to comply with the ECHR decision of 2002 which lead to the FF governemnt stopping the oposition to Lydia Foy in the supreme court under article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights again prompted by the Greens... hardly an endorsement for FF

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nobody voted it through. It passed without a vote as all whips indicated full party support - FG, Labour and Sinn Fein as well as the government parties.

Labour's support of the 92-94 FF/Labour coalition was dependent on the decriminalisation of homosexuality. FF wouldn't have done it alone, as the party view was that non-prosecution was sufficient to comply with the ECHR judgement.

FG/Labour also attempted to bring in the Equal Status Bill and Employment Equality acts towards the end of their term in office. It took FF 3 and 1 years respectively to do this after getting elected. FF's employment equality bills also include the ridiculous "religious ethos" clauses.

You don't remember because you didn't have any need to know, seeing as you're clearly only in here in a desperate attempt to campaign for your failing party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

MYOB wrote: »
    Nobody voted it through. It passed without a vote as all whips indicated full party support - FG, Labour and Sinn Fein as well as the government parties.

Labour's support of the 92-94 FF/Labour coalition was dependent on the decriminalisation of homosexuality. FF wouldn't have done it alone, as the party view was that non-prosecution was sufficient to comply with the ECHR judgement.

FG/Labour also attempted to bring in the Equal Status Bill and Employment Equality acts towards the end of their term in office. It took FF 3 and 1 years respectively to do this after getting elected. FF's employment equality bills also include the ridiculous "religious ethos" clauses.

You don't remember because you didn't have any need to know, seeing as you're clearly only in here in a desperate attempt to campaign for your failing party.

Simply want to say +1 to everything you have said!

It was the Fianna Fáil minister for Justice who proposed the bill. What bills have Fine gael ministers ever proposed to promote gay rights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I have a question, what is FF doing for transgender people?

Links234 wrote: »
    I have a question, what is FF doing for transgender people?

I honestly couldn't tell ya

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It was the Fianna Fáil minister for Justice who proposed the bill. What bills have Fine gael ministers ever proposed to promote gay rights?

She proposed it because it was part of the Programme for Government solely at the insistence of Labour.

Similarly, FG ministers proposed the two Equality bills I mentioned in my post. Are you unable to read?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Are you unable to read debate?

Fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Similarly, FG ministers proposed the two Equality bills I mentioned in my post.
    which FG ministers?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement