Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"New law could criminalise men for buying sex" (IT)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Boloney.
    Well, that well considered rebuttal put me in my place...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭28064212

It's probably the closest thing to a solution though, where no other options exist. Or is celibacy the only option?
    I don't think it's any more of an solution than an anonymous one-night stand and carries many of the same risks, plus one or two others (money trail), and adds nothing to the argument for prostitution
    Perhaps, but you'll find that some here would disagree with you. For example, even in the scenario of a woman who rejects sex with her husband, it has been pointed out that she should have rights too, even though she is not going to catch anything from her husband, precipitated the need to look elsewhere for sex and is not part of the consenting exchange.
    She should have rights too. A marriage is not just about sex. If one partner decides to unilaterally withdraw anything, it affects the marriage, be it sex, fidelity, a salary, household duties, child-minding, conception abilities, emotional connection, or simply company (or many other facets of a standard marriage, not to mention the non-standard ones).

It is an extremely rare scenario where one partner would unilaterally withdraw sex completely and deny their partner the right to go outside the marriage for it. A much more common scenario is where sex is reduced by one partner, and the partner on the receiving end unilaterally decides to withdraw fidelity.

And none of it has any place in a discussion on prostitution

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    I don't think it's any more of an solution than an anonymous one-night stand and carries many of the same risks, plus one or two others (money trail), and adds nothing to the argument for prostitution
    I agree with all except for the last point, which I shall address below.
    She should have rights too.
    I agree and was simply responding to your claim that "the only important point is that if a consenting adult wants to sell a sexual service, they should be allowed to. Everything else is irrelevant". Everything else is not irrelevant, it would seem.
    It is an extremely rare scenario where one partner would unilaterally withdraw sex completely and deny their partner the right to go outside the marriage for it.
    Actually, it's not as rare as you would think. If you browse through the PI forum, you'll regularly find threads from husbands where this is precisely what has occurred.
    No, because this discussion began only considering the rights of the prostitutes. The other parties involved directly and indirectly, such as the client and potential partner/spouse of the client were not considered at all and how you can have a meaningful discussion on the subject while considering almost all involved as irrelevant, is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

She should have rights too. A marriage is not just about sex. If one partner decides to unilaterally withdraw anything, it affects the marriage, be it sex, fidelity, a salary, household duties, child-minding, conception abilities, emotional connection, or simply company (or many other facets of a standard marriage, not to mention the non-standard ones).

It is an extremely rare scenario where one partner would unilaterally withdraw sex completely and deny their partner the right to go outside the marriage for it. A much more common scenario is where sex is reduced by one partner, and the partner on the receiving end unilaterally decides to withdraw fidelity.

I would agree with this entirely. If there is a sex famine or feast it would be a reflection of the state of the marriage, and there are hills and valleys in every relationship.

At the same time, perhaps the standard models and expectations of marriage need to be looked at again within the marriage rather than seeking gratification from a whore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I would agree with this entirely. If there is a sex famine or feast it would be a reflection of the state of the marriage

ok, how about this. A couple are married for 10 years, very much in love. One partner has a health issue which leaves them unable to have sex. There is a sex famine in that marriage, and that's no reflection on the marriage itself.

What should/could the partner do in that situation?

• Advertisement

Boloney.

Comments like that are not acceptible in this forum - I've warned you very clearly about that. This is the last time I'll say this to you: you can make your point, if you want to. You will not ridicule someone elses point of view in this fashion again.

Well, that well considered rebuttal put me in my place...

Same goes for you - report the post if you have a problem with it, but this tit-for-tat sniping at each other is going to stop.

tbh wrote: »
    ok, how about this. A couple are married for 10 years, very much in love. One partner has a health issue which leaves them unable to have sex. There is a sex famine in that marriage, and that's no reflection on the marriage itself.

What should/could the partner do in that situation?

Ok, well I might have an eccentric view on this but however. I would hope that s/he could discuss it, and if I were the cripple in the situation, I would feel I'd have no real option but to allow for an open marriage at that point. There are risks that come with that, but then there are risks that come with long term resentment and celibacy.

Maybe adopt a policy common in gay male relationships [never more than once with the same person and never in the house.]

It might work it might not... I dont know... if they both agree that prostitutes are the way to go then so be it but a relationship with a prostitute does not bear resemblence to marriage or heterosexual relationships or a solution to problems within them. That is my main bugbear with this thread.

But.... if you are doing this to avoid an expensive divorce, that you are sticking around with someone you dont care about because you are afraid of the financial implications, that makes YOU the prostitute.

Ok, well I might have an eccentric view on this but however. I would hope that s/he could discuss it, and if I were the cripple in the situation, I would feel I'd have no real option but to allow for an open marriage at that point.
    so your preferred option, if you were married to me, and you couldn't have sex with me, would be for me to find someone else to have sex with.
    And that person, who I'd be having sex with, would presumably be doing it for reasons other than money, since you don't want me to go to a prostitute. Maybe someone I work with, maybe a friend of ours, maybe someone I see regularly.

Can you not see how that might not be the preferred option for some people?

Actually, it's not as rare as you would think. If you browse through the PI forum, you'll regularly find threads from husbands where this is precisely what has occurred.
    Instances where the sex has been completely taken off the table? Where there's actually been a discussion and the partner has given a flat "no" and completely denied permission to go outside the marriage?
    No, because this discussion began only considering the rights of the prostitutes. The other parties involved directly and indirectly, such as the client and potential partner/spouse of the client were not considered at all and how you can have a meaningful discussion on the subject while considering almost all involved as irrelevant, is beyond me.
    Does a discussion on legalisation of hotels need to include discussions on the possibility that they could be used as places to cheat on partners? Your points are for a discussion about marriage and divorce, not prostitution. If a partner goes outside the marriage, whether he goes to a prostitute or a one-night stand is completely irrelevant

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Maybe adopt a policy common in gay male relationships [never more than once with the same person and never in the house.]
    Well, there's a good oul-fashioned stereotype for you. Such a policy is common in the swinger lifestyle full-stop, it has nothing to do with the orientation of the partners.
    a relationship with a prostitute does not bear resemblence to marriage or heterosexual relationships or a solution to problems within them. That is my main bugbear with this thread.
    Which was the opinion of one person, who was subsequently banned from the thread.
    But.... if you are doing this to avoid an expensive divorce, that you are sticking around with someone you dont care about because you are afraid of the financial implications, that makes YOU the prostitute.
    It really doesn't

• Advertisement

Ok, well I might have an eccentric view on this but however. I would hope that s/he could discuss it, and if I were the cripple in the situation, I would feel I'd have no real option but to allow for an open marriage at that point. There are risks that come with that, but then there are risks that come with long term resentment and celibacy.
    You might, but you'd be surprised how many would not be so open and would want to retain the right to monogamy and not provide sex. As an example, there was a thread on this on PI a while back where the wife refused even to discuss the matter - I'll see if I can find it later on.
    Why does the very real consequence that a man will effectively lose his children (at the very least on a day to day basis, if not more) continually get ignored? Is it easier to simply focus on the financial concerns as they are easier to dismiss?
    Instances where the sex has been completely taken off the table? Where there's actually been a discussion and the partner has given a flat "no" and completely denied permission to go outside the marriage?
    Yes. It happens and more often than you'd think; other than fining examples on PI, I know at least one guy in this situation - I can't what he's done about it, but I suspect he's turned to prostitutes.
    Does a discussion on legalisation of hotels need to include discussions on the possibility that they could be used as places to cheat on partners?
    Straw man.
    Your points are for a discussion about marriage and divorce, not prostitution.
    No, the scenario I gave regard the motivations for prostitution in a manner which was not the same cliched view than men are always in the wrong, and thus is relevant. I've already explained this.

so your preferred option, if you were married to me, and you couldn't have sex with me, would be for me to find someone else to have sex with.
    And that person, who I'd be having sex with, would presumably be doing it for reasons other than money, since you don't want me to go to a prostitute. Maybe someone I work with, maybe a friend of ours, maybe someone I see regularly.

Can you not see how that might not be the preferred option for some people?

Look, I don't know because I don't know and we are not married. It would all depend on the context of those things of who you are and who I am and who we are together. Its impossible to say in theory.

How long is for, is it while someone is undergoing chemo? Or is it due to disability, a stroke, or oncoming death?

But if it were reversed, I wouldn't want to see prostitutes. I'd want something else.

Yes. It happens and more often than you'd think; other than fining examples on PI, I know at least one guy in this situation - I can't what he's done about it, but I suspect he's turned to prostitutes.
    He has a set of choices: celibacy, divorce or go outside the marriage and hope he doesn't get caught. Unfortunately, our divorce laws are archaic, and they need to be changed. But once he goes outside the marriage, the method he uses is completely irrelevant.
    Straw man.
    I don't see how. You're talking about one single possible use for prostitutes that has nothing to do with whether it should be legalised
    No, the scenario I gave regard the motivations for prostitution in a manner which was not the same cliched view than men are always in the wrong, and thus is relevant. I've already explained this.
    I still don't see the relevance, sorry

He has a set of choices: celibacy, divorce or go outside the marriage and hope he doesn't get caught. Unfortunately, our divorce laws are archaic, and they need to be changed. But once he goes outside the marriage, the method he uses is completely irrelevant.
    Not at all, because different methods carry different levels of risk. I already touched on this earlier.
    I don't see how.
    You refuted a proposition by substituting it with a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition and then attacking it.
    I still don't see the relevance, sorry
    Well, if you can't, you can't. If you want clarification, please specify where, otherwise I won't be explaining it again.

Look, I don't know because I don't know and we are not married. It would all depend on the context of those things of who you are and who I am and who we are together. Its impossible to say in theory.

This is exactly the point I'm making - you don't know every situation, so you can't say that all men who use prostitutes are x or y. Some of them may have reasons for using prostitutes which you would sympathise with.
    How long is for, is it while someone is undergoing chemo? Or is it due to disability, a stroke, or oncoming death?
    Say it's forever. Lets say, for example, that you have a car accident on our honeymoon which leaves you unable to have sex for some reason. You're my wife and I love you, but I'm, say, 22 years old. Is it fair that I should have to choose between having an ongoing affair, say, or engaging in a relationship with someone else that was more than simply sexual and financial? Personally, I would prefer, in that situation, to be able to purchase a sexual act from someone who was aware of the facts surrounding the transaction, and able and free to decide for herself if she wanted to do it.
    But if it were reversed, I wouldn't want to see prostitutes. I'd want something else.
    That's fine -thats you. But if, god forbid, something happened to my wife, I wouldn't want something else. If I wanted sex, I would want there to be no feelings involved, because the feelings I have are reserved for my wife alone. I would want to abstract the sexual act from any emotional commitment, and be upfront about doing it.

Not at all, because different methods carry different levels of risk. I already touched on this earlier.
    But they carry the same punishment. And the risk difference is, at best, minimal
    You refuted a proposition by substituting it with a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition and then attacking it.
    Disagree with the characterisation of it, but fine, I'll drop that analogy.
    Well, if you can't, you can't. If you want clarification, please specify where, otherwise I won't be explaining it again.
    Ok, based on tbh's post, I think I see the argument
    Personally, I would prefer, in that situation, to be able to purchase a sexual act from someone who was aware of the facts surrounding the transaction, and able and free to decide for herself if she wanted to do it.
    You (both) are saying that because reasonable circumstances exist where prostitution would be a desirable thing to have (objectively speaking), it should be legalised, correct?

IMO, that's a complete non-argument. It doesn't negate any argument against prostitution. It's simply an explanation for demand. You might as well say murder should be legalised because the world would have been better off if Hitl... Stalin was murdered (Godwin: avoided :pac:).

This is exactly the point I'm making - you don't know every situation, so you can't say that all men who use prostitutes are x or y. Some of them may have reasons for using prostitutes which you would sympathise with.

I have not contested the right or wrongness of prostitution either in a moral framework or in a legal/practical one. I have contested the placing it on the same page as your standard heterosexual marriage relationship and using accountancy and currency to define it.
    Say it's forever. Lets say, for example, that you have a car accident on our honeymoon which leaves you unable to have sex for some reason. You're my wife and I love you, but I'm, say, 22 years old. Is it fair that I should have to choose between having an ongoing affair, say, or engaging in a relationship with someone else that was more than simply sexual and financial? Personally, I would prefer, in that situation, to be able to purchase a sexual act from someone who was aware of the facts surrounding the transaction, and able and free to decide for herself if she wanted to do it.

You are going to do that from the age of 22 for the rest of your life?
    That's fine -thats you. But if, god forbid, something happened to my wife, I wouldn't want something else. If I wanted sex, I would want there to be no feelings involved, because the feelings I have are reserved for my wife alone. I would want to abstract the sexual act from any emotional commitment, and be upfront about doing it.

Well, that's you and it demands a mind body split that not everyone can do, nor should they be expected to. Sex isn't always that tidy. Nor does sex outside of the prostitute realm mean emotions and attachment. But you would be happy enough a male prostitute banging away at your wife rather than someone who cares about her well being and is understanding of her situation with you?

But they carry the same punishment. And the risk difference is, at best, minimal

Disagree with the characterisation of it, but fine, I'll drop that analogy.

Ok, based on tbh's post, I think I see the argument

You (both) are saying that because reasonable circumstances exist where prostitution would be a desirable thing to have (objectively speaking), it should be legalised, correct?

IMO, that's a complete non-argument. It doesn't negate any argument against prostitution. It's simply an explanation for demand. You might as well say murder should be legalised because the world would have been better off if Hitl... Stalin was murdered (Godwin: avoided :pac:).

Its true. ITs like saying because morphine helps me with pmt it should be legal.

No, the reason I made that statement was to support this point:
    you don't know every situation, so you can't say that all men who use prostitutes are x or y

However, comparing murder and prostitution is a flawed argument, with respect, because of the concept of consent.
    If both parties freely, and under no duress, give consent to exchange money in exchange for sex, that's not quite the same as what stalin did ;)

Now this is getting ridiculous - first you claim that "the method he uses is completely irrelevant", now it's only irrelevant if we're discussing consequences, because you've decided that risk cannot be considered (for some reason) and on top of this you have presumed that the risk difference is minimal - which frankly even looking at it from a distance it's pretty obvious that such a judgment would at best be an underestimate.
    I've never said this.

• Advertisement

Its true. ITs like saying because morphine helps me with pmt it should be legal.

morphine is legal, assuming it's prescribed by a doctor.

morphine is legal, assuming it's prescribed by a doctor.

Its not legal to prescribe morphine for periods but it is illegal for me to buy it or vicoden even though either drug might make that time of the month a hell of a lot easier for everyone, and may even save some marriages, while we are on the subject of marital assistance.

But you would be happy enough a male prostitute banging away at your wife rather than someone who cares about her well being and is understanding of her situation with you?
    I would have thought that if only for sex, the last person anyone would want to substitute you for that role is someone who actually has feelings for your spouse/partner.

Its not legal to prescribe morphine for periods

that's not true. It may be irresponsible, but it's not illegal. Anyway - too far off topic already.

I would have thought that if only for sex, the last person anyone would want to substitute you for that role is someone who actually has feelings for your spouse/partner.

literally could not have said it better myself.

Why? Its far better and safer for them if they are cared for.

"better" is a subjective term, and it would probably be as safe if prostitution were legal and regulated. I mean, you're pretty safe buying any other legal commodity or service, no?

And far more likely that your spouse/partner will also form an emotional attachment and leave you.

With an affair, the person involved is not doing it for money. If they're already emotionally involved, they won't be doing it for the sex either. And so being the other (wo)man is not going to work for long.

This may simply mean that the affair will be short lived, but what happens if the lover decided to win over your spouse/partner? After all, they care about them and it would be natural for them to want to do so.

In short, the chances of your spouse leaving you, due to this, would be several times higher because there will be someone actively seeking them to do so. With someone who does not care (and this need not be a prostitute, btw), no such pressure or manipulation would be employed.

Well there is risk in everything. But if my crippled husband insisted I see prostitutes there would be a far far greater risk of me leaving him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Worked in Sweden so why not here,will stop the trafficking of women also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement