Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

I would say do 4 miles tonight...too much pressure to do it tomorow...if you can get nearer to 8 miles even better! And how pleasurable will the couch feel after that???:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Personally if i had a sore shin, i'ld rest it tonight and see how it is tomorrow and try 4 miles then. So sit on couch, leg up and ice on the shin for 20 mins. Do some stretching for 10 mins and repeat this twice. Also double bill of CSI NY on tonight:D

You should know your own body and if it can take 8 miles at this stage of training with a niggle. Sometimes rest is more important than running and aches start when you up the mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Just catching up on your log Clara - you're doing great! Look after those niggles and keep it up!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

chinguetti wrote: »
    Personally if i had a sore shin, i'ld rest it tonight and see how it is tomorrow and try 4 miles then. So sit on couch, leg up and ice on the shin for 20 mins. Do some stretching for 10 mins and repeat this twice. Also double bill of CSI NY on tonight:D

You should know your own body and if it can take 8 miles at this stage of training with a niggle. Sometimes rest is more important than running and aches start when you up the mileage.

+1 if it keeps at you I'll text on my physio's number.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I wouldn't even say to go for 8 miles tomorrow. Shin problems can be awkward, is it only one leg you've problems with?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I wouldn't even say to go for 8 miles tomorrow. Shin problems can be awkward, is it only one leg you've problems with?

Yeah it’s only the left one that has pain. It’s like an inflammation as opposed to an ache. It’s weird though – last Wednesday it got sore while I was running in the morning and it was sore even when resting so I didn’t run until Saturday night when I did a slow 4 miles and both shins were a bit achey then. But then on Sunday I did just over 16 mile and they were grand, not a bother. They were fine again on Tuesday when running and just randomly got that pain in my left one again yesterday doing absolutely nothing. I had a physio appointment booked for Monday morning anyway but they’ve put me on the cancellation list for today so hopefully I’ll get a call.

I didn’t run last night and instead went for dinner and to the cinema (again!) and ate my way through enough popcorn and maltesers to feed a large nation. :o

I think I’m going to be a very sensible girl and take a week off running. If I do an hour on the X trainer or a spinning class everyday for the week and then run next Thursday and hopefully be back on form for a good long run next weekend. Is this a wise idea? God I wish I knew more. I must get a few books to read.

In any event I know I need a new pair of runners so that is high priority on the to-do list this weekend.

Cheers, good advice.
    BTW, CSI is so 2010. Criminal minds all the way!:cool:

Wait and see what the physio says before you opt out for a full week, your runners could be the issue (wear and tear might be making your foot fall incorrectly straining the shin), go and get reassessed for new runners rather than buying a newer generation of your current ones.

All of that extra weight you'll be carrying after last night won't help :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

mrslow wrote: »
    Wait and see what the physio says before you opt out for a full week, your runners could be the issue (wear and tear might be making your foot fall incorrectly straining the shin), go and get reassessed for new runners rather than buying a newer generation of your current ones.

All of that extra weight you'll be carrying after last night won't help :D

Agree with Mr Slow for a change :eek:
    Deffo go to a running shop before getting new runners and make sure you are still in the right ones. gaits can change with time and you might need more/less support in your shoes.
    Also you have to differentiate between niggles and injuries. Niggles you can run through and if we all stopped running when we had niggles in marathon training there would be very little training done :pac:
    After a while you'll be able to tell yourself when something is serious and when it's not. Wait to see what the physio says before writing the week off completely, if you don't get an appointment today you could try just a very easy few miles to test the waters with the shins.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Agree with Mr Slow for a change :eek:
    Deffo go to a running shop before getting new runners and make sure you are still in the right ones. gaits can change with time and you might need more/less support in your shoes.
    Also you have to differentiate between niggles and injuries. Niggles you can run through and if we all stopped running when we had niggles in marathon training there would be very little training done :pac:
    After a while you'll be able to tell yourself when something is serious and when it's not. Wait to see what the physio says before writing the week off completely, if you don't get an appointment today you could try just a very easy few miles to test the waters with the shins.

I'm in a state of shock :eek:, you've agreed with someone, never mind that someone is me! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I've seen it all now - Meno and Mr Slow agree on something.

Your thread has achieved something that is a wonder to us all Claralara and for that we should all thank you.:D

• Advertisement

Your thread has achieved something that is a wonder to us all Claralara and for that we should all thank you.:D

Ever since I got him to read that P&D book he has been coming around to my way of thinking :pac:

The surprise is not that he and I agree as I am so naturally agreeable anyway:rolleyes:, it's that Meno agreed with something that didn't originate with him ;)

It's the feng shui in here - I'm a facilitator. Ain't no room for no hatin' or playa haters in this log. My homies is supportin in my hour of need. :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

claralara wrote: »
    I think I’m going to be a very sensible girl and take a week off running. If I do an hour on the X trainer or a spinning class everyday for the week and then run next Thursday and hopefully be back on form for a good long run next weekend. Is this a wise idea? God I wish I knew more. I must get a few books to read. :

Xtrainer can be murder on the quads if you give it welly so if you want to get straight back to running normally take it easy enough. I wouldn't give up on running for a week though. Plenty of stretching. It's common enough to only have pain in one shin though, or for one to be more painful. Do you stretch? your calves are probably very tight.

Xtrainer can be murder on the quads if you give it welly so if you want to get straight back to running normally take it easy enough. I wouldn't give up on running for a week though. Plenty of stretching. It's common enough to only have pain in one shin though, or for one to be more painful. Do you stretch? your calves are probably very tight.

The honest answer would be definitely not enough. I suppose in my naivity I put more thought into the mileage and not enough into recovery or helping the body cope with the mileage. New concerted effort to stretch lots and lots from today. My calves were really tight last night.

In good news, the shins feel fine today so I'd like to try a few miles tonight. Didn't get to the shops last night but will be getting out of work on time today for the dentist so I'll get new runners this eve.

I have a physio appointment in the morning so we'll see what comes of that.

The honest answer would be definitely not enough. I suppose in my naivity I put more thought into the mileage and not enough into recovery or helping the body cope with the mileage. New concerted effort to stretch lots and lots from today. My calves were really tight last night.

In good news, the shins feel fine today so I'd like to try a few miles tonight. Didn't get to the shops last night but will be getting out of work on time today for the dentist so I'll get new runners this eve.

I have a physio appointment in the morning so we'll see what comes of that.

Your physio should be able to give you a good stretching routine for everyday, not just run days! (I'd love to take my own advice on this one)

Hey Missy. You promised to have a run logged by 8pm. Get away from that bottle :pac:

Hey Missy. You promised to have a run logged by 8pm. Get away from that bottle :pac:

She misunderstood run for rum, she's currently enjoying that comfortable coolness specific to pressing your face up against a toilet bowl, completely inebriated while your body tries to throw your ar5e up through your throat.

I promised that if I didn't have a run logged by 8 that Meno could come after me with a whip... The terrifying thoughts of the beating I'd get are the only reason I got off my lard arse. I only went out at 8 for 5miles but I think I can dodge the beating... :pac:

Long boring update of the last few days to follow..

I promised that if I didn't have a run logged by 8 that Meno could come after me with a whip... The terrifying thoughts of the beating I'd get are the only reason I got off my lard arse. I only went out at 8 for 5miles but I think I can dodge the beating... :pac:

Long boring update of the last few days to follow..

Does Meno with a whip in his hand do it for you? Not judging, each to his own ;)

• Advertisement

Does Meno with a whip in his hand do it for you? Not judging, each to his own ;)

You seem surprised. Does it not do it for you?!

You seem surprised. Does it not do it for you?!

Nothing about you would surprise me, I wouldn't be at all shocked to find you had a hand in Meno's sore hip :D

Nothing about you would surprise me, I wouldn't be at all shocked to find you had a hand in Meno's sore hip :D

I think it started the first time I met him. It was physically the toughest 2 hours I've experienced since I introduced myself to this new hobby. He has some endurance though - could have gone on for another 2 hours I'd say! RK even came along for the show. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I think it started the first time I met him. It was physically the toughest 2 hours I've experienced since I introduced myself to this new hobby. He has some endurance though - could have gone on for another 2 hours I'd say! RK even came along for the show. :D

Ah kids...I'm away for a week and A/R/T goes all S&M.....:eek:

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

digger2d2 wrote: »

And now that you're back... :eek::eek::eek:

And now that you're back... :eek::eek::eek:

My back is fine despite claralara's nails....;)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My back is fine despite claralara's nails....;)

What about the rest of ya?

As the title suggests, do not read if you have something better to do like watch paint dry! I expect that the following will a suitable tool for a doctor practising euthanasia on someone wishing for a death-by-boredom end. It’s more for my own reflection – you guys can continue your non-intelligble and barely entertaining talk after my ponderings!

Went for a 4.5mile run last Tuesday morning and got on grand. Took it easy enough because the legs were still feeling the 16miles from Sunday. Had planned 8miles for Wednesday but woke up with a pain in my left shin – the same pain from the week before. I was not a happy bunny. Ended up stuck in work late for the rest of the week so there were a few enforced rest days, after which I was more shattered than I was in the last few weeks when I was running 4/5times a week. After an uneventful (thank god) trip to the dentist on Friday afternoon, I headed out to Amphibian King in bray to get a new pair of runners. (Happy feet, sad credit card!) I worked my thang on the catwalk and tried a few pairs of runners with a mild support. Ended up getting the exact same pair I already have. I may as well have just put my own runners in the washing machine. It’s crazy how worn the old ones were. I’m not really hard on my feet but the support and cushioning had broken down a lot! I had planned on taking them out for a little jaunt to destroy them but the guy in the shop recommended I show them to the Physio on Saturday and get her opinion before wearing them in case she recommended something different. So I had to settle for another night on the couch – not really a complaint for me!

Saturday 12th February
    Went to Physio on Saturday morning and had a “why exactly am I doing this?!” moment or ten. As expected my calves are really tight. I had a wonderful dry needling experience where she stuck a load of needles into my left shin and wiggled them around to p*ss off my poor muscles. She then stuck a load in the back of my calf for more of the same. It’s a really strange sensation – not sore as such but pretty unpleasant and uncomfortable. Then she massaged both legs – I assume she used her hands but if I were to find out that she actually used a hammer I wouldn’t be at all surprised. My legs are covered in bruises now. It’ll be a while before they go anywhere without a pair of tights. Have lovely little painful red dots from the needles too. I limped out with directions not to run for the day but that I’d be good to go after 24 hours. She gave me some stretches with those words I love to hear – “you can do these lying on the couch watching TV”... J She said I was grand and she didn’t need to see me again but recommended that I get a good sports massage between the two 20milers I have scheduled. She’s run a few marathons herself so we had a good chat and she gave me some good advice. She also gave me 3mm insteps to stick under the insoles of my new runners for some extra arch support so hopefully they’ll work some magic.

Sunday 13th February
    I was not in any way, shape or form looking forward to running today. A heavy night last night, a few dancefloor related injuries (must have been giving it socks – not a pretty sight!), a bit of a headache etc all made for an horrendously wrecked claralara horizontal on the couch for the afternoon. However, as noted above I had enlisted Meno to come after me with a whip if I didn’t log a run today. So off I went in my blindingly shiny new runners with my little sister’s dodgy music collection on shuffle. My ankles were a little achey (another Saturday night related issue I suspect – 5 inch heels probably aren’t conducive to happy and healthy marathon-fit ankles!) Apart from that, everything felt ok for a while. The only pain I had in the legs was from the dirty 10x16 pawprint bruise on my right calf courtesy of the Physio. Mile 1&2 (9.10&8.53)were handy enough downhill, 3 was nice and flat (9.26), 4 was up Newtownpark Avenue with an elevation gain of 219ft so it was pretty slow but not too tough (10.40). Had to stop at the top at 4miles for a stretch break and what could potentially have been a messy regurgitation of today’s dinner...ugh, not good. Mile 5 was an easy steady trot back to the house(9.34). The tum was not in good shape though. Was glad to get home.
    Total 5.17miles – 49.22 – Av Pace 9.32

This week will be better. I have to get back on track!:)

What about the rest of ya?

Stunning :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I expect that the following will a suitable tool

See what I mean......:pac:

Advertisement