Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Great stuff O, just catching up on a lot of your log there. In flying form missus :D

+1
    This log is mind blowing. Enjoy taper. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

don't be analysing the dreams, just go with the one you have while you are awake!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Fair play to you on the pacing! Sounds like you really enjoyed the run. Alls looking great for Berlin. Enjoy the rest of the taper!
    claralara wrote: »
    Really looking forward to pacing the marathon now :)

What group are you pacing?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

RubyK wrote: »
    Fair play to you on the pacing! Sounds like you really enjoyed the run. Alls looking great for Berlin. Enjoy the rest of the taper!

Jaysus she'll be lucky to pace 5 hours if she can't even break 4 hours in her dreams. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

I also had a nightmare on Friday night that I was at the 20 mile mark in Berlin and I wasn't going to break 4 hours. I woke up in a cold sweat absolutely devasted! It's crazy how the brain works. I wish it'd switch off and let me sleep though!

Ah the dreams - will I remind you of the one I had where I lost a runner and had to hobble the 5 boroughs of New York with? one shoe? Or the time I dreamed that I couldn't run without hanging onto walls and railings at the side of the road? Taper madness, just can't beat it for sheer lunacy! Apart from all that, your training is fantastic at the moment. Hopefully the next few weeks go equally as well - and you don't bate the head off each other when the final week madness sets in ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Forget about taper madness for the moment. Did you get many requests for autographs or photos on Saturday 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Forget about taper madness for the moment. Did you get many requests for autographs or photos on Saturday 😉

Oh P you missed a great one. As we, the 1.50 pacers came to finishing line, the guy on the mike mentioned the female pacer but couldn't see her number so called out my name as i was at the other side of the road.

He couldn't see DigDig's number either but he had lost his flag earlier so the pacers were introduced as follows '(my name) and friends':D.

I was laughing my head off. They haven't rang me about a photoshoot yet though!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

I'm in the full throes of taper madness. The nightmares have started. My teeth were crumbling and falling out in last night's escapades!
    Last week I had a dream/nightmare that I was in a plane crash - out of curiosity I looked up what that might mean and discovered the following (which was not overly reassuring!!):- To dream that a plane crashes signifies that you have set overly high and unrealistic goals for yourself. You are in danger of having those goals come crashing down. Alternatively, the crashing airplane represents your lack of confidence, self-defeating attitude and self-doubt. You do not believe in your own ability to achieve those goals. Loss of power and uncertainty in achieving your goals are also signified.

I also had a nightmare on Friday night that I was at the 20 mile mark in Berlin and I wasn't going to break 4 hours. I woke up in a cold sweat absolutely devasted! It's crazy how the brain works. I wish it'd switch off and let me sleep though!

Ah crazy dreams... if one was to believe old wives tales you could either be in the 'family way' or alternatively you need to cut out eating cheese. Both are supposed to spur on weird and vivid dreams!;)

That said old wives weren't around in the time of smashing marathon PB's, so it's probably safe to just put it down to taper nerves. And you definitely have nothing to worry about there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

RubyK wrote: »

That hasn't been decided yet. I'll get myself home from Berlin one working piece and let you know then :)

Monday 17th September (6 miles easy)
    6 @ 8:25
    Slightly slower than planned pace of 8:10 but the legs and head just weren't in the mood. I wasn't bothered by it though - the hard work is done so not giving myself a headache unnecessarily over the next couple of weeks.

The legs are desperately in need of a sports massage now - really feeling the effects of the hard training (I'm hoping that's normal / the plan!). Hopefully slurpie's magician will have an appointment for tomorrow or thursday and then another next week.

chinguetti wrote: »
    Oh P you missed a great one. As we, the 1.50 pacers came to finishing line, the guy on the mike mentioned the female pacer but couldn't see her number so called out my name as i was at the other side of the road.

He couldn't see DigDig's number either but he had lost his flag earlier so the pacers were introduced as follows '(my name) and friends':D.

I was laughing my head off. They haven't rang me about a photoshoot yet though!

Maybe if you did something about that nose they'd be more likely to pay out the big bucks...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Maybe if you did something about that nose they'd be more likely to pay out the big bucks...;)

Thats so 18 months ago girl:p

Tuesday 18th September (6 miles recovery with strides)
    6 miles total
    5 @ 8:55/9:00 plus a bunch of strides and a light jog from the entrance of the estate to the gaff.
    Another 'vanilla' run. Legs were nice and fatigued so wasn't overly enamored with the thoughts of strides. They warmed up after a bit and were actually ok. Felt a bit better (mentally and physically) than Monday's but still pretty meh!! I'm hoping this is all just as normal as normal can be 12 days before a goal marathon :confused::eek:

Wednesday 18th September (Rest)
    Rest...
    ...on a Wednesday?! This has completely thrown me... Going. Out. Of. My. Mind. And I can't even use the Friday Pie-day excuse to keep me occupied!!

Massage tomorrow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Massage after or before your run?

Enjoy, two thumbs up ;)

TRR wrote: »
    Massage after or before your run?

Run in the morning, massage in the afternoon... Can do otherwise but I didn't think running afterwards was recommended?
    Enjoy, two thumbs up ;)

Will do... Let's hope he doesn't go nuts on my knots! Ouch.

Run in the morning, massage in the afternoon... Can do otherwise but I didn't think running afterwards was recommended?

sounds good, yeah i wouldn't run myself after an intensive massage to get the knots out, kind of defeats the purpose in my experience.

You should get the ledge to go along as well, you might get a discount or a 2 for one deal

sounds good, yeah i wouldn't run myself after an intensive massage to get the knots out, kind of defeats the purpose in my experience.

You should get the ledge to go along as well, you might get a discount or a 2 for one deal

Yep so I thought. :)

I'll see what I can manage re the ledge... he's a procrastinator but if I play the A-goal/sub-19 card he might bite! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Yep so I thought. :)

I'll see what I can manage re the ledge... he's a procrastinator but if I play the A-goal/sub-19 card he might bite! ;)

The ledge is not a procrastinator, he just likes playing hard to get ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Have never gotten a massage in the build up to a race, but I can see the attraction! Do you really feel the benefits from this or would it be more of a feelgood thing?

macinalli wrote: »
    Have never gotten a massage in the build up to a race, but I can see the attraction! Do you really feel the benefits from this or would it be more of a feelgood thing?

Depends on what type of ending you pay for :D:D

Definitely worth it. Worst case scenario you get no benefit but I always feel great afterward. We do lots of stretching as well which I find really helps.

• Advertisement

Thursday 20th September (Mini session - 6 miles w/ 4*1k @ 10k pace w/3minute recovery of choice)

I think I should start listening to music when I'm running to drown out my mind..
    *As I was running up to Marlay for this session, I was thinking what a shame it was that I wasn't able to race the Rathfarnham 5k on Sunday.
    *As I was doing the 1k repeats, I was thinking that I would never run a 5k or 10k race again in my life. Never. Ever.
    *As I was jogging home from Marlay I realised:-
    i. I am just not in 5k/10k shape at the minute;
    ii. some specific training after Berlin should help things along; and
    iii. racing Rathfarnham on Sunday could/would have seriously damaged my confidence.

Anyway - back to the session. Knowing that Marlay is just over 2 miles from my house and 4*1k would be just over 2 miles, I decided that running to the park, doing the 1k laps and running home would be ideal. I switched my watch onto kms - a parallel universe where distance and pace means nothing to me.

I had forgotten what the planned 10k pace was - I knew it was less than 4m/km and thought it was maybe 3:45 - 4:confused:. Have just realised having looked at the plan that it was supposed to be 3:50-4. Suffice to say these were manky. Each once was a concerted effort and I do not think I would have been able to string more than a couple together without recoveries...yuck. Splits were 3:55, 3:45 (oops), 3:48 (oops) and 3:53 (ow poor me). So in hindsight, these were on the faster side of things which makes me feel a little better. :)

Finished up and started trotting home from park nice and easy. It was all grand until I looked at my watch and realised I had almost run 10k. Being mathematically challenged, I don't claim to know much. One thing I do know is that 10k = c.6.2miles. Total session should have been 6 miles and I was still a good 1.5miles from home. In my planning calculations, I had forgotten to include the extra mile+ covered on the recoveries. Whoopsie daisies! So I just eased off and enjoyed a really comfortable jog the rest of the way.

In real understandable language, the total was 7.8 miles @ 8:12 :o:mad:
    Thank god I felt ok afterwards as I would seriously be kicking myslef otherwise.

Had a session with Ciaran Fitz afterwards and it was the best money I've spent all year. Legs felt great afterwards. Still feeling good today for Friday Pie-day :D

Definitely worth it! (Though you may not have thought I'd say that had you heard the language out of my precious mouth during the session...) My legs were in bits all week and I can really feel the benefits of yesterday. We did a decent bit of stretching, back cracking, pushing, pulling... which really loosened everything out and got the blood flowing*

*Don't waste your time with the innuendo lads, I've already thought of everything!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Thursday 20th September (Mini session - 6 miles w/ 4*1k @ 10k pace w/3minute recovery of choice)

I think I should start listening to music when I'm running to drown out my mind..
    *As I was running up to Marlay for this session, I was thinking what a shame it was that I wasn't able to race the Rathfarnham 5k on Sunday.
    *As I was doing the 1k repeats, I was thinking that I would never run a 5k or 10k race again in my life. Never. Ever.
    *As I was jogging home from Marlay I realised:-
    i. I am just not in 5k/10k shape at the minute;
    ii. some specific training after Berlin should help things along; and
    iii. racing Rathfarnham on Sunday could/would have seriously damaged my confidence.

Anyway - back to the session. Knowing that Marlay is just over 2 miles from my house and 4*1k would be just over 2 miles, I decided that running to the park, doing the 1k laps and running home would be ideal. I switched my watch onto kms - a parallel universe where distance and pace means nothing to me.

I had forgotten what the planned 10k pace was - I knew it was less than 4m/km and thought it was maybe 3:45 - 4:confused:. Have just realised having looked at the plan that it was supposed to be 3:50-4. Suffice to say these were manky. Each once was a concerted effort and I do not think I would have been able to string more than a couple together without recoveries...yuck. Splits were 3:55, 3:45 (oops), 3:48 (oops) and 3:53 (ow poor me). So in hindsight, these were on the faster side of things which makes me feel a little better. :)

Finished up and started trotting home from park nice and easy. It was all grand until I looked at my watch and realised I had almost run 10k. Being mathematically challenged, I don't claim to know much. One thing I do know is that 10k = c.6.2miles. Total session should have been 6 miles and I was still a good 1.5miles from home. In my planning calculations, I had forgotten to include the extra mile+ covered on the recoveries. Whoopsie daisies! So I just eased off and enjoyed a really comfortable jog the rest of the way.

In real understandable language, the total was 7.8 miles @ 8:12 :o:mad:
    Thank god I felt ok afterwards as I would seriously be kicking myslef otherwise.

Had a session with Ciaran Fitz afterwards and it was the best money I've spent all year. Legs felt great afterwards. Still feeling good today for Friday Pie-day :D

Finally, some numbers in this log that I understand!! If 3:50/km is your 10k pace, then its not just digger than needs to be worried around here.

Keep up the great work, not long now.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭alanking

Friday 7th September (18-20 miles - 8 easy, 6 @ MP, 1 recovery, 2 @ HMP, 3 cool down)
    20 @ 7:54 (total overall average)

I had left everything ready the night before because I knew there'd be no time for faffing around if I was going to get this bad boy done. Fell into my gear when the alarm went off for the second time at 6:58am, took one bite of a cereal bar and a mouthful of water and headed out the door. I had purposely stuffed my face and had a fair bit of water just before bed so I knew I was pretty well fueled. It was a dull and windy ole morning but I knew I'd be warm in no time.

For the sake of my mental health, I split this run into 5 separate runs and just focused on getting through each one individually. I took an isogel at 5 miles as per the plan. I have found doing long runs around Dublin can be mentally tough because it's so small - after 8 miles I found myself in Clondalkin. First 8 miles were 8:27,8:17, 8:10, 8:08, 8:07, 8:15, 8:20, 8:20 - I'd be lying if I said I wasn't pretty wrecked after these - I was working way harder than I think I should have been but then again I was pretty creaky having just gotten out of bed.

Then, as if being in Clondalkin wasn't bad enough, I was just about to start the MP section uphill and into the wind. I could have turned around and taken an easy route but that would have been a copout so I kept going. After a couple of miles, there was a bit of reprieve from the wind; it was over my shoulder and the road flattened out a bit so I was glad I'd put my back into it at the start. Took another isogel at 10 miles - this was the first time I'd tried to take at a pace faster than LSR and it was a bit fidgety but I needed to practice. The MP miles were a little fast and I was fecked finishing them. Trying to cross the road at the Walkinstown Roundabout 5.5 miles into the MP section was a right pain. Splits for this section -7:13, 7:17, 7:13, 7:08, 7:19, 7:16.

The recovery mile was a little fast but much welcomed and an opportunity to take the last gel of the day (just before the 15 mile mark) - 8:27.

I was just outside Bushy Park when the time came to hit the HMP miles which was perfect timing. These 2 miles blew! I couldn't get keep the pace at the pace I had run for an entire half marathon less than 2 weeks previous - should have been 6:44/5 and it was TOUGH! I had a really bad stitch for the last half mile and just couldn't (didn't:o) push any harder - 6:51, 6:48.

Last 3 miles were a nice steady climb home. I just trotted home nice and easy, basically letting the legs do whatever the flock they wanted - 8:51, 8:33, 8:27.

This session was hard going but a great one for the confidence. Legs were tired and lower back was a little sore when I finished but I came around for a few hours. Was starving and exhausted in the afternoon but an outdoor power nap while Digger was "fishing":rolleyes: in the Boyne sorted me out again. So all in all, not too much damage done :D

Saturday 8th September (rest or 30 minutes recovery)
    3.1 @ 9:50
    A pre-breakfast run to loosen out the grandma legs which had deadened completely overnight - probably the hardest yuckiest run of the week. The blood was just starting to flow as we were finishing but they were fooked!!

Legs are still a bit heavy and achy today so hopefully a good recovery this evening will sort them right out.

I can't believe race day is so close now...:eek:

Great session and a great idea to split the milage up like that.
    Might do similar for my 20miler on Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

To hell with your splits and mileage, what kind of pie is on the menu for today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Super training going on there cl. Those kind of times are blowing my mind, your easy pace is my 10k race pace. Inspiring!*

* inspiring is a very soppy thing to say but your transformation in the last year or so can be described as nothing else.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    To hell with your splits and mileage, what kind of pie is on the menu for today?

This morning she scoffed an enormous raspberry scone from Keoghs on Trinity Street, Dublin 2 - apparently they are "like OMG the best scones in the world EVER!"

Please see Facebook for further details of this evening's gluttony and piggery...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

digger2d2 wrote: »
    apparently they are "like OMG the best scones in the world EVER!"

:rolleyes:

Yep - I'll second that - made with fresh raspberries :)

Great running CL - best of luck in Berlin.

Saturday 22nd September (depending on legs - 12 miles easy max but 60 minutes sufficient)
    8.2 @ 8:17
    Had a busy day on Saturday and was stuck for time as evening rolled around. Then when I had a window of opportunity, I procrastinated in a way one wouldn't believe possible. It was the closest I've come to giving a run a miss in this entire marathon training schedule. I knew from the off that my head wasn't in the game. I just wasn't bothered... It kind of worried me because it was the last "long" run before the big day but at the same time I knew that ultimately it wasn't going to have any impact on the marathon. I was in bad form and pretty agitated; that manifested itself physically with strained shoulders and stitches, so when I got close to home after 7 miles I decided to call it a day. The legs were feeling good so I suppose there's something positive in that.

Sunday 23rd September (4 miles recovery)
    Rathfarnham 5k... 1 w/u @ 9:00 / 3.1 @ 7:59
    Having been forbidden to race this, I had resigned myself to the idea that I would be hanging around the finish line for approximately 19 minutes to cheer on the Digger. However, a good friend of mine who had a PB of 26:11 was running it and, given that I'm addicted to 5k races and pacing, I took this as a perfect opportunity to damage a good friendship in her quest for a sub-25. Not going to write a long report - suffice to say that, as expected, she wanted to absolutely kill me from about half way in. She found it tough going but I knew she had it in her so I figured she'd get over the pain and her annoyance at my "gentle encouragement" as soon as we crossed the finish line. We finished in 24:54 and she was absolutely delighted once she got her breath back. I found the pace easy breezy and the distraction brought me a day closer to Berlin. It was so nice to enjoy the race atmosphere with no pressure. Was absolutely delighted for Digs and his great time - nice for him to have something to boast about other than me for a change :D;) Caught up with a few of the lads afterwards - ray, micilín, jcsmum - great runs all round :)

The Rathfarnham 5k is a great race - nice and local, fantastically organised and with a brilliant atmosphere. Really looking forward to running it next year and doing some damage to my time... (I forgot to mention that 24:54 was in fact a course record for me...:o)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I'm getting so excited for you!!!!!! :D

Advertisement