Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

menoscemo wrote: »
    I was up running along the canal yesterday and shared the path with some lovely young lads who were racing their ponies barchested up and down the path while simultaneously drinking cans and smoking fags.
    seems i was not invited to rq's birthday party....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

:mad: Clondalkin is a lovely place you foxrock snob.

The canal at Clondalkin has turned into something like santa Ponza over the last few days with all the young ones drinking and taking a dip at the Locks. I was up running along the canal yesterday and shared the path with some lovely young lads who were racing their ponies barchested up and down the path while simultaneously drinking cans and smoking fags. A nicer buch of folks you'll never meet :p

Ha! Unfortunately I missed out on any such displays as your local riff raff don't appear to get out of bed before the off licences can serve alcohol. I was home safe in the comforts of my gated estate by then thank god...:P

ultraman1 wrote: »
    seems i was not invited to rq's birthday party....

Where the party food of choice is one's young... count yourself lucky Anto!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

claralara wrote: »
    ....skipping your own training session to roll around the Phoenix Park
    thought that was yerself but wasn't sure, was running with a buddy in the opposite direction down Chesterfield around 5ish. Did you see the poor cyclist getting lifted into the ambulance, hopefully he was alright :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Friday 7th September (18-20 miles - 8 easy, 6 @ MP, 1 recovery, 2 @ HMP, 3 cool down)
    20 @ 7:54 (total overall average)

The MP miles were a little fast and I was fecked finishing them. Trying to cross the road at the Walkinstown Roundabout 5.5 miles into the MP section was a right pain. Splits for this section -7:13, 7:17, 7:13, 7:08, 7:19, 7:16.

Holy crap, you are gunning for a sub 3:10!!!! Fair play to you!! You're definitely capable, so you've got my support in the cheerleading section! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done, another super impressive LSR!

neilc wrote: »
    thought that was yerself but wasn't sure, was running with a buddy in the opposite direction down Chesterfield around 5ish. Did you see the poor cyclist getting lifted into the ambulance, hopefully he was alright :eek:

Yep that was me - bloody knees and oil-covered hands to boot! You know us now so give us a wave the next time :)

Yeah, that accident looked pretty bad - Digger actually told me to divert my eyes in case it was really scarring. We couldn't figure out what had happened at all. At first we thought the jeep with the trailer was involved and then we thought the car must have jammed on but it kind of looked like the car was parked. Anyway, it doesn't matter what happened once the poor cyclist is ok.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Holy crap, you are gunning for a sub 3:10!!!! Fair play to you!! You're definitely capable, so you've got my support in the cheerleading section! :)

:eek: Let us not lose the run of ourselves just yet lady...!! But I do expect mile by mile virtual cheerleading! I'll be imagining it anyway :)

Sunday 9th September (60 minutes easy)
    6.7 @ 8:55
    Took a mile or so for the legs to warm up but they'd recovered well from the previous few days - better than expected and pleasanlty surprising! :)

Just under 58 miles for the week I think - a very satisfying week's training :)

3 Weeks to go...
    One last week of pretty decent training before two week taper...scary mary!

Monday 10th September (6 miles easy)
    5 @ 7:52
    1 w/d @ 8:30
    Legs felt awesome. A brilliantly refreshing run in the cold evening air and drizzle :)

:eek: Let us not lose the run of ourselves just yet lady...!! But I do expect mile by mile virtual cheerleading! I'll be imagining it anyway :)

I'll be there for sure!!! Woo hoo!!! Is athlete tracking available?? Of course me being in the US may prohibit me from getting notices of your progress. Maybe marthastew can try and send me texts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'll be there for sure!!! Woo hoo!!! Is athlete tracking available?? Of course me being in the US may prohibit me from getting notices of your progress. Maybe marthastew can try and send me texts.

I am pretty sure that you will be able to follow the atheltes progress direct from the Berlin marathon website. There are splits every 5k as well as at the Half way point.

It was quite fun to read the boards commentary on my epic blowup there last year :rolleyes::o

I am pretty sure that you will be able to follow the atheltes progress direct from the Berlin marathon website. There are splits every 5k as well as at the Half way point.

It was quite fun to read the boards commentary on my epic blowup there last year :rolleyes::o

Good to know. And I know there's several boardsies doing Berlin that I'll/we all will want to follow and cheer on.....and then give smart commentary to if needed. You should be well ready for that with a few witty words. ;)

Good to know. And I know there's several boardsies doing Berlin that I'll/we all will want to follow and cheer on.....and then give smart commentary to if needed. You should be well ready for that with a few witty words. ;)

The commentary from 3:10 onwards pretty much mirrors my race last year :p

Thursday 13th September (10 miles @ MP with w/u and gentle w/d)
    1 @ 9:10
    10 @ 7:00
    .5 @ 8:50

I was absolutely dreading this run. It was the last tester before the big day and whether it was all in my head or otherwise, I felt sh*te! Legs were dead; I had pains in my neck and shoulders; my head was achy; my knees were tender...get the pic?! I think a lot of it (the phantom pains!) was fear that this one would go bottoms-up and leave my head melted for the next two and a half weeks. Digger had run this session really well the night before and I was bricking it that I wouldn’t even be able to run 1 MP mile. Anyway, all that aside, there was no way this run wasn’t going to happen so the over-thinking of things was just a waste of energy. Route-wise I didn’t know what to do or where to go – I’m sick of the local routes (particularly for the pace stuff) so I headed over to the park to the 3/4 mile loop that myself and TRR had run my MP miles at last week. Given how my head was rebelling against this run, I decided that I’d run the first section up Chesterfield Avenue without looking at the watch. I knew it was about .7 of a mile and I figured it’d be no harm to run by what I thought was marathon effort. Uphill and into the wind, I thought it was going to be an 8:10 mile. It wasn’t... I was fighting away close to HMP. Oops. I knew it was too fast but with the wind all over the shop I couldn’t manage it at all (...well I probably could have but my brain was playing all sorts of games with me and my legs...). To make a short story long, I was way faster than planned pace for the entire run. What was a tough MP effort into the wind was easily HMP as soon as I turned a corner...crazy. I knew I should have been easing off to planned pace but I was a brat. (I better apologise to Digs for giving him an awful earful when he ran faster than he should have for the same run). I was also aware that it was the last hard run before the marathon so no harm in really doing the legs in (without injuring them of course!).

Splits were: 6:46 (too eager) / 6:47 (just plain bold) / 6:57 (eased off but had a bit of a downhill wind...) / 7:08 (uphill into the wind) / 7:09 (as before) / 6:57 (turned a corner and got a bit of respite from the wind as it was coming across me and not a direct headwind) / 6:59 (realised I had to ease off or I’d blow but had some nice shelter and it was a nice descent) / 7:14 (uphill and into the wind but more like it) / 7:13 (uphill and into the wind - wish I could say I was behaving but I was struggling) / 6:54 (last fast mile to really sap the legs!)

I did a half mile warm down back to the car and got a bad stitch – it must be to do with the big change in pace – footfall/breathing/focus etc. Anyway it didn’t matter at that stage.

My Garmin has been acting up and seems to be measuring about .01 extra on every mile of late so I’ve been rounding up my mile splits by a couple of seconds to keep it real. I haven’t rounded those up so for the sake of the safety of underestimation, I’m going to say the 10 miles were at an average of 7:05.

Friday today – We know what that means.... ;) Somebody pass the pies!! Haha...

Really looking forward to pacing the Half tomorrow now. Legs should be well rested with the day off today and had a good shot of the stick this morning

Friday today – We know what that means.... ;) Somebody pass the pies!! Haha...

I just realised that the way I said that makes it look like I only eat pies on Fridays... that is not true... It's just that on Fridays, I sit on my ass and eat pies; whereas on most other days, as well as eating pies, I run a bit...!! :o

Last night I had one of these - http://www.marksandspencer.com/Marks-and-Spencer-Millionaires-Shortbread/dp/B005OT551Q
    I think Digger is trying to ruin me but it tasted amazing so more fool him for not having his one! :D

Just realised I didn't update the early part of the week so going to tidy it up:

Tuesday 11th September (8-10 miles easy)
    10 @ 8:20
    Nothing to report; all very handy and vanilla!

Wednesday 12th September (6 miles recovery)
    6.5 @ 9:00
    Recovery does as recovery says. Felt really slow but legs needed it.

Thursday 13th September (10 miles @ MP with w/u and gentle w/d)

See previous page.

Friday 14th September (Rest)
    Rest

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Last night I had one of these - http://www.marksandspencer.com/Marks-and-Spencer-Millionaires-Shortbread/dp/B005OT551Q
    I think Digger is trying to ruin me but it tasted amazing so more fool him for not having his one! :D

What about the other three?

What about the other three?

It was only a 2-pack... Apparently I have issues with willpower/discipline/self control :( He wants to ruin me; he doesn't want to pay for an extra seat on the plane..

Did you eat both of them? Or just one?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

It was only a 2-pack... Apparently I have issues with willpower/discipline/self control :( He wants to ruin me; he doesn't want to pay for an extra seat on the plane..

Not surprised. I'd be comfort eating if I had to put up with him too. :D

• Advertisement

Did you eat both of them? Or just one?

The second one wasn't forthcoming. When I mentioned the possibility of having it I got a look saying 'you can not be serious'... So I laughed and pretended I wasn't serious.. haha :o

I'm going to have to be very careful over the next two weeks!!

Your training times are amazing - I am SO excited for you. I'm sure you are practically out of your skin with anticipation - probably at the point where you are more than ready and just want to get the show on the road. If you go a sub 3 hour...well....then some sort of incredible celebration needs to happening. Maybe involving an entire 4 pack of that tasty confection!! :D

Your training times are amazing - I am SO excited for you. I'm sure you are practically out of your skin with anticipation - probably at the point where you are more than ready and just want to get the show on the road. If you go a sub 3 hour...well....then some sort of incredible celebration needs to happening. Maybe involving an entire 4 pack of that tasty confection!! :D

Em...we're not quite there yet... But I wouldn't mind setting some sort of 4-pack confectionary goal in the next 12-18 months.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Em...we're not quite there yet... But I wouldn't mind setting some sort of 4-pack confectionary goal in the next 12-18 months.. ;)

I like your style. Maybe we should set up some sort of Goal Top 10 numbers thread for this :rolleyes:

I see the MP is dropping every time you run ;):D God knows what it will be in 2 weeks.
    At least Digger's prediction of me getting Glamour Coupled this summer can't come true now as it's already Autumn :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

At least Digger's prediction of me getting Glamour Coupled this summer can't come true now as it's already Autumn :p

Sounds kinky

I see the MP is dropping every time you run ;):D God knows what it will be in 2 weeks.

My point exactly. That's why I'm now thinking sub 3 hours......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Anyone offering odds on the meno versus cl head to head.... :)

Just a quick update - I'm very busy going out of my mind here!

Saturday 15th September (Dublin Half Marathon - 1:50 pacing
    13.1 @ 8:20
    Had a great day out pacing the Half in the park on Saturday. Arrived nice and early to check in and get the pacing gear organised. We had a good laugh and a good group. I didn't notice the miles passing at all. The pace was so comfortable - not a bother on the legs or the lungs, even with all the chats. It's ridiculous to compare it with this time last year!
    No official finishing time for me... :( It looks like the pacing backpack damaged my chip or the way I had the straps tightened caused an issue in the chip being registered but I crossed the line between Chinguetti and Digs, and their times were 1:49.36 and 1:49.41 respectively. So, a job well done :) Really looking forward to pacing the marathon now :)

Pity about the no-shows in Ryans afterwards (you know who you are :p) but it was a good laugh while the crowd lasted. I think myself and Digger saw sense somewhere around tea-time and headed home (via the supermarket for some damage control soakage... where neither of us remembered buying the non-winning lotto ticket...) The fact that I was unconscious by 9pm says it all.. :o I'm well and truly on my best behaviour now.

Sunday 16th September (6 miles recovery)
    6 @ 9:20
    Very very easy recovery on pretty jaded and lactic-y legs. Run had satisfied it's function by the 4 mile mark - I would have called it a day then had I not been 2 miles from home :rolleyes:

I'm in the full throes of taper madness. The nightmares have started. My teeth were crumbling and falling out in last night's escapades!
    Last week I had a dream/nightmare that I was in a plane crash - out of curiosity I looked up what that might mean and discovered the following (which was not overly reassuring!!):- To dream that a plane crashes signifies that you have set overly high and unrealistic goals for yourself. You are in danger of having those goals come crashing down. Alternatively, the crashing airplane represents your lack of confidence, self-defeating attitude and self-doubt. You do not believe in your own ability to achieve those goals. Loss of power and uncertainty in achieving your goals are also signified.

I also had a nightmare on Friday night that I was at the 20 mile mark in Berlin and I wasn't going to break 4 hours. I woke up in a cold sweat absolutely devasted! It's crazy how the brain works. I wish it'd switch off and let me sleep though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Great stuff O, just catching up on a lot of your log there. In flying form missus :D

Advertisement