Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Feic me! Do you realise thats 18 months to take an hour and twenty off a marathon?!! Phenomonal stuff.

...can I have what she's having please? :D

Great report. Great run.
    Wow. Speechless.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Emer911 wrote: »
    ...can I have what she's having please? :D
    Officer Digdig's truncheon? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

Congratulations again on a savage run CL. It was great to meet up with yourself and digger. I have no clue as to what time ye headed away at but you managed to get your jacket on by yourself which is a huge improvement since DCM :-)
    We jumped in a taxi and headed to a club for some more punishment.
    Monday was the longest day in the history of the universe.
    Make sure and ask around about rotterdam. It has some of the fastest marathon times in recent years iirc.
    Enjoy the recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ha! The thought of you breaking 2:55 for the marathon! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Great performance CL, great blog. Inspiring and really enjoying it!

So is your face on everyone's dartboard now?! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

claralara wrote: »
    Although I think I deserve to cash in on Brian's odds in some respect seeing as I (in the nicest possible way) have totally kicked his marathon PB a5s..!! :D

I'm already set to cash in on Brian when I see him next from longstanding bets on both yourself and Diggers performances in Berlin :D I'll stand you both a pint after DCM when he coughs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

wow claralara, congrats and well done

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Wow, fantastic! Massive congratulations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Well done CL. Super time and great report. You clearly have the talent but you also put the work in required to reap your rewards. You've come a long way from cycling backwards down Knockmaroon hill :)

Just out of interest did you stop completly at the water stops to take on water or just down to a walking pace to take on water and off again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Brilliant report, fantastic race, you're a legend. End of. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I of course have to say a big thank you to TRR, without whom, I can honestly say there is no way I’d be sitting here today with a marathon PB anywhere near that
    You were always going to run a time like that and I'm sure you can go much quicker in the future also.

I refer to my earlier comment of our varying definitions of ‘easy’! wink.png
    Ha, just so you know based on your current marathon PB easy is now sub 8 minute miles
    Not only was there a lot of time and effort wasted on myself and Digdig’s training, the poor thing had to listen to a whole load of non-marathon-related tripe. You enjoyed it really though didn’t you?! wink.png
    I enjoyed it but I'm also mildly traumatised. Just looking back through some of my emails and if a FOI ever comes in for them I'm screwed :)

I was thinking last night and the 3 main things that your massive PB can be put down put are (in order of importance)

1) Joining a running club: Yourself and Digs joined sportsworld and I think this helped you both massively. For a good few months you were doing 2 hard sessions a week with the club and if you weren't being dragged around by some of the people who may have been faster that you. Also you (and I really mean Digs) were doing your best to lead the groups. In know a lot of the Boards ladies visit your log and this is the one thing I'd recommend they all do (join a club). There is a great social side to club running as well. Your club has a great meet and train group and people have progressed from that to running with faster training groups. By the way just so you know, last year you were 309th lady in the Dublin marathon, you new marathon PB would have placed you top 20!

2) Great (training) partner: Obviously Digs is Mr perfect at home :) but he is also the perfect training partner. Running with somebody of a similar ability to yourself obviously beats running solo. Your natural abilities speed vs stamina also complemented each other well so you were able to drag each other through different sessions/runs. Moral of the story run with somebody if you can.

3) Following a dynamic plan:
    You followed a plan that changed week to week depending on your and Digs feedback. Nothing was set in stone. I'm always harping on about this and it is the reason I wince when I see people following HH of JD plans to the letter. They are really good plans in theory and I take bits and pieces from them myself but the problem is they don't account for day to day life and the individualism of an athlete etc. For example faster stuff effects your iron levels. Longer stuff has the same effect on me whereas shorter stuff does not. This gets back to the point about joining a running club. Hopefully most clubs should have somebody who can design a plan specifically for an individual. Overall the plan may be near identical for the group but based on what a coach sees in training he/she may pull somebody from a session or tell them to run harder than first prescribed. The fact you also followed the plan except that time you went on holidays and thought "rest was for pussies" also helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

TRR wrote: »
    You were always going to run a time like that and I'm sure you can go much quicker in the future also.

Here's hoping... I have a Clown to prove wrong! ;)

Ha, just so you know based on your current marathon PB easy is now sub 8 minute miles

Puke! :cool:

I enjoyed it but I'm also mildly traumatised. Just looking back through some of my emails and if a FOI ever comes in for them I'm screwed :)

Don't worry - I know a really good solicitor with a lot of times on her hands...
    I was thinking last night and the 3 main things that your massive PB can be put down put are (in order of importance)

1) Joining a running club: Yourself and Digs joined sportsworld and I think this helped you both massively. For a good few months you were doing 2 hard sessions a week with the club and if you weren't being dragged around by some of the people who may have been faster that you. Also you (and I really mean Digs) were doing your best to lead the groups. In know a lot of the Boards ladies visit your log and this is the one thing I'd recommend they all do (join a club). There is a great social side to club running as well. Your club has a great meet and train group and people have progressed from that to running with faster training groups. By the way just so you know, last year you were 309th lady in the Dublin marathon, you new marathon PB would have placed you top 20!

++1!There is no way I would have done a session of a club session nature on my own. Not a hope. I would have managed a maximum 60-70% of the effort I actually put in - particularly for the Tuesday speed sessions. There were times that I was literally dead inside and I just dug deep and hung in - it actually brought out a strength and competition in me that I would never thought I had.

That's mad about the marathon placing - top 20 in the home marathon... now there's a goal!
    2) Great (training) partner: Obviously Digs is Mr perfect at home :) but he is also the perfect training partner. Running with somebody of a similar ability to yourself obviously beats running solo. Your natural abilities speed vs stamina also complemented each other well so you were able to drag each other through different sessions/runs. Moral of the story run with somebody if you can.

Big time (not necessarily the 'Mr.Perfect at home' bit though:rolleyes:). It was great that our training paces were the same - so there was nice company and chats on the recovery and easy runs, there was a silent companionship on the faster ones and most importantly for the tough stuff there was a distraction and a boost to push on. See also my mention above of the unleashing of my inner unknown competitiveness... ;) Even from the point of view of the days where you really aren't in the mood - having made a plan to run with someone makes it nigh-on impossible to back out.

3) Following a dynamic plan: You followed a plan that changed week to week depending on your and Digs feedback. Nothing was set in stone. I'm always harping on about this and it is the reason I wince when I see people following HH of JD plans to the letter. They are really good plans in theory and I take bits and pieces from them myself but the problem is they don't account for day to day life and the individualism of an athlete etc. For example faster stuff effects your iron levels. Longer stuff has the same effect on me whereas shorter stuff does not. This gets back to the point about joining a running club. Hopefully most clubs should have somebody who can design a plan specifically for an individual. Overall the plan may be near identical for the group but based on what a coach sees in training he/she may pull somebody from a session or tell them to run harder than first prescribed. The fact you also followed the plan except that time you went on holidays and thought "rest was for pussies" also helped.

Rest is for pussies... that is all I have to say on that!

Haha. No seriously, the fact that the plan was dynamic was a huge benefit. The body tells you things for a reason - it lets you know when you need a break and when you only think you need a break. Understanding the signals and adjusting accordingly means that there are no (well as few as possible) wasted sessions, and that full potential is reached. I think we were great on that part except for the time around those 5k races when I was neglecting to tell you I could barely walk up the stairs or stay awake on the bus on my way to work on a Monday morning. :o:)

I think I pretty much gave everything that my body and training had to give last Sunday. And now I'm really looking forward to training it to have that little bit more to give next time around. :)

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Well done CL. Super time and great report. You clearly have the talent but you also put the work in required to reap your rewards. You've come a long way from cycling backwards down Knockmaroon hill :)

Just out of interest did you stop completely at the water stops to take on water or just down to a walking pace to take on water and off again?

Haha - the memories of that day get me every time! Sure yee wouldn't be without me! ;)

Re water stations: I didn't stop at all - I slowed down as little as possible in order to grab a cup and literally took a couple of sips as it splashed all over my face. My experience with water stations is that people see them and make a beeline for the first table, which tends to end up in complete congestion and panic. So I just kept running by all of those rookies, right to the last table where I always had my pick of about 4 cups being handed to me. I didn't want/need to finish an entire cup at any stage as I didn't want to find out how my stomach would react to such an invasion. Because of that it was easy to keep running. I took a couple of sips of the energy drinks at maybe 2/3 stations where I was in between gels but that was more for the sake of it!

I just remembered one thing I wanted to put in my race report...

Since I started training with the lads, I have always gotten grief about my unwillingness and inability to spit whilst running. (I think the former is a result of the latter!)

Anyway sometimes a lady just can't be a lady... So at about the 37k mark, when I had taken my last gel and my mouth was starting to feel like the inside of a sugar factory, and I was a few minutes off a water station, I had no option but to try and discard the layer of syrupy slurp that was really starting to upset me.

Recalling all of the lessons of expectorating, on which Meno and Digs had lectured me in great detail quite a number of times, I spent a moment or two rolling my tongue, working the spittle and getting my lips into perfect formation to hock up like a premier league footballer. I took a quick look around to make sure there was no poor runner in the way (as the rules in the Berlin Marathon 2012 Handbook had explicitly stated - I kid you not!) and 3-2-1-Boom! A perfect execution! I almost let out a windmill such was my joy at having finally mastered the art.

I should have left it at that revelled in the fact that I'd be setting both a marathon AND a spittting PB in one day. But noooo...I decided to go again. Look, I don't know what had happened (maybe the wind had changed direction or something..) but suffice to say that I ended up goobing all over myself right in front of an official camera! It wasn't forceful enough to dissipate from my mouth and hit the ground so it flew about in mid air attached to my bottom lip for a second of two before I managed to grab it and wipe it in my shorts like the real lady that I am. And knowing my luck, THAT is the photo that will be remembered!

Oh the elegance of running...super hot! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

you've just opened a can of worms regards spitting and swallowing, you do realise that, don't you? That's all I'll say :D

you've just opened a can of worms regards spitting and swallowing, you do realise that, don't you? That's all I'll say :D

Oh no, please don't stop there - why don't you open the debate with your thoughts and experiences?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I suppose you've never fired a snot rocket either? Time to start practicing. You're not a real runner under you can shoot one off, with the nonchalance of a sailor taking a leak off the side of his boat (which is ironically the next skill you have to master after the snot-rockets).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

FANTASTIC report
    FANTASTIC Race
    FANTASTIC Achievement, well earned and well deserved.

FANTASTIC:D

PS Lyons tea all the way!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Awesome improvement.
    You are a natural born runner.
    And you even found time for the glass of wine of a Sunday night. ;)

I suppose you've never fired a snot rocket either? Time to start practicing. You're not a real runner under you can shoot one off, with the nonchalance of a sailor taking a leak off the side of his boat (which is ironically the next skill you have to master after the snot-rockets).

My snot excretions tend to be less of the 'rocket' variety and more of the 'shower' variety. There could be some complaints about the etiquette of the pacers in DCM if I don't sort these issues out pronto!
    eliwallach wrote: »
    Awesome improvement.
    You are a natural born runner.
    And you even found time for the glass of wine of a Sunday night. ;)

And a wednesday, and a thursday.... And if the sun was shining after a Saturday LSR, it would have been rude not to spark up the BBQ and rehydrate with a few beers too.. :o:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Haven't followed your log up to now so had no idea about your background in the sport. That is an astonishing improvement and a serious time. Much respect.

Where to next?

P.S. I picked the worst time possible to click into this log. Me eating my dinner and you lot talking about snots and spit!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Excellent stuff CL, you make it sound so easy. Where is the pain and suffering:) Obviously a born runner, looking forward to following where you go from here.
    Enjoy some downtime, see ye you and Digs at DCM pacers gig.

Whoopsie daises... ;)

This is to notify you that your entry into the 117th Boston Marathon on Monday, April 15, 2013 has been accepted, provided that the information you submitted is accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Whoopsie daises... ;)

This is to notify you that your entry into the 117th Boston Marathon on Monday, April 15, 2013 has been accepted, provided that the information you submitted is accurate.

Class! That'll be exciting!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Whoopsie daises... ;)

It is now our duty to make sure that Boston will never be the same again....Claralara and Dory will be in the house!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Whoopsie daises... ;)

provided that the information you submitted is accurate.

Was it the spitting or the snot blowing information that they need to verify?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Great race report and a stunning improvement. I’ve read the first few pages of your log before reading your Berlin race report and was thinking “she’s not going for around 3.10 is she?”

Brilliant stuff. You made it sound easy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Whoopsie daises... ;)

Woo hoo! :D Super dooper congrats:D

After every marathon I always say "that's my favourite marathon ever" but Boston actually was my favourite ever.

Is Digdig allowed to go to carry your bags since he qualified? Boston will go wild for those Big Guns:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Dory Dory wrote: »
    It is now our duty to make sure that Boston will never be the same again....Claralara, digdig and Dory will be in the house!!! :D

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Gosh, now I'll get to experience first hand what all that truncheon and gun fuss is all about!!! International style..... ;)

(congrats to you too Officer Digdig!!)

Advertisement