Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I'm not sure there's any talking to her these days.....

Is she pacing you for Clonliffe? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I'm not sure there's any talking to her these days.....

Is she pacing you for Clonliffe? :)

She'll be trying to sober up from the 12 pubs whilst I'm running!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Just saw your post on the Conn thread...I foresee plenty of shared lsrs in the park in the new year!! You guys have pretty much the same target as me so there'll be relative safety in numbers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Totally get what you're suing about running easy. Think it's because I haven't started 'the plan' yet so every run is just a random run as opposed to a purposeful one. Will sort it out from Monday. That said my runs into work are very easy route-wise - as in it's 5 miles downhill and flat. Comments noted however.

I will attend clonliffe to support but will be in no state to run... My cheering will stop after 19 minutes and 59 seconds though so you'd all want to HTFU!

Wednesday 7th Dec
    5 @ 9.26
    Can't remember the details of this...?! Think it was just a 6am'er into the office.

Thursday 8th Dec
    5 @ 8.58
    I was dreading this with the bad weather that I could hear during the night but I just had to suck it up and get out of bed or else be late for work. Was alright in the end as the wind was mostly at my back and the rain eased off. Was good to get some fresh air before the busy day too.

Friday 9th Dec
    REST
    I did it. Took a rest day! Christmas party last night...

Surprisingly ok today. Gonna do 10/12 before heading out tonight - its a wee bit cold out there though :-/

Saturday 10th December
    7.04 @ 8.52
    LSR took a hit of a good 5 miles as a result of a busy week and having a to do list as long as my arm for the weekend. A good enjoyable run with Digdig anyway. It was nice to have a bit of company :) The commuting can get a bit boring.

Sunday 11th December
    4.04 @ 9.26
    A hungover recovery to collect the car....bleurgh!

Monday 12th December AM
    5.12 @ 8.50
    Early and dark into work. Pretty uneventful!

Monday 12th December PM
    5.38 @ 8.28
    Late and dark home from work. It was a wild night - uphill and into the won and rain. Felt more like an 8m/m pace. Topped off with a hot shower and a delicious fillet steak dinner. Not bad for a day's work. :D

Tuesday 13th December AM
    5.04 @ 9.23
    Early, dark, cold and wet start to the day. Handy enough.

• Advertisement

No run this morning. Had to come into work at sicko o'clock and with the weather sounding like it was going to blow the house down, I decided to take the lift that was going. Maybe a few miles tonight but I doubt it...

There are 14 weeks until Conn from Stephen's day. I think training from a plan will have to wait until then and hopefully work should let up a bit in the new year.

Tomorrow will be much better though ;)

Wednesday 14th December
    7 @ 8.57
    Did run home in the end last night. Twas tough enough out to F to the rock with the hills and the wind and the frickin weighty lunar glides. They're definitely recovery only runners from now on - one doesn't need to wittingly inflict unnecessary hassles on one's running! Got home just in time for greys which was the most important thing :)

claralara wrote: »
    Wednesday 14th December
    7 @ 8.57
    Did run home in the end last night. Twas tough enough out to F to the rock with the hills and the wind and the frickin weighty lunar glides. one doesn't need to wittingly inflict unnecessary hassles on one's running! Got home just in time for greys which was the most important thing :)

I am not surprised you got stuck in the Lunarglides, my apartment looks like an outlet store for Nike Pegasus :-)

FYI -

Qualifying times for Boston 2013 are as follows...

F 18-34 - 3:35:00
    M 45 plus VAT - 3:25:00

These times will not guarantee entry as they will take the fastest runners until it's full.... Maybe we'll be heading to NYC instead?

• Advertisement

Thursday 15th December
    5 @ 9:00
    Home from work. Can't remember what the conditions were like or how it felt…

Friday 16th December
    Rest
    Swapped the run to work for a coffee and a scone and the run home for wine and dinner :)

Saturday 17th December
    14 @ 9.09
    Hooked up with Meno for this run around the 'foothills of the Dublin Mountains'…poetic. Think it's the furthest I've run since DCM. It was pretty frosty so we took it nice and handy until the sun started to do it’s work. There were a couple of tough climbs but they didn't completely kill me - would definitely have more of a push in me if I went for it. My back was a bit twingey toawrds the end but it's been like that for about a week from lugging boxes and folders around, so hopefully that'll ease this week and over the Christmas break. Apart from that everything felt fine. All in all, it was a great run and we got a nice fresh morning for it.

Sunday 18th December
    Rest
    12 pubs of Christmas on Saturday which involved 10 hours of boozing left me in a state capable of little more than getting out of bed and standing in the freezing cold in Santry with a hot chocolate, willing Digdig to break 20 for his last 5k of the year. He did. Delighted for him. The first words he uttered were "I am never running a f*cking 5k race again. Bring on the ultra" as he was hanging over the side of a railing... I'd say it was about 16 minutes before he was talking about getting his next 5k fix!! Was great to watch the winners coming in - some brilliant runners. Very impressed by the girls - wow!

Monday 19th December
    5.1 @ 9.14
    Nice run into work this morning. The legs were running away on me and the pace slipped into the 8's a few times. I tried to pull it back and keep it easy. I will start to be more disciplined re recovery!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

The legs were running away on me and the pace slipped into the 8's a few times. I tried to pull it back and keep it easy. I will start to be more disciplined re recovery!

You're really flying :). Re recovery, I know the feeling - my legs seem to want to move faster at the moment as well. I think it's something to do with the pressure of the marathon being lifted - I'm not afraid of injury so I'm running more freely and slightly faster than usual. New year's resolution - do recovery runs properly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Great running again O! Next year will be incredible for you I've no doubt.

jcsmum wrote: »

Thanks K. Was thinking about all of race times this morning they certainly need a good seeing-to in the new year!!

Tuesday 20th December
    7.24 @ 9.01
    No garmin but that's what the phone said. Good bit milder this morning. Nice enjoyable run.

Thanks K. Was thinking about all of race times this morning they certainly need a good seeing-to in the new year!!

Tuesday 20th December
    7.24 @ 9.01
    No garmin but that's what the phone said. Good bit milder this morning. Nice enjoyable run.

Where's the Garmin?

Where's the Garmin?

I just left it in work on Monday night.

Wednesday 21st December
    7.1 @ 9.01
    Didn't look at the watch and just ran by feel. Took a while to warm up and settle into it this morning. It was very windy but pretty warm. Defo no need for the 3 layers, long legs, hat and gloves along with a backpack and a not-so-breathable high viz jacket.

Thursday 22nd December
    5.11 @ 8:46
    Had a lie on this morn and didn't leave until 7 am. Between that and the days getting longer, I didn't know myself….haha. :pac: Had to stop after about a mile to lose a layer and the gloves. It felt pretty sluggish so was surprised to see the pace was below 9. Wouldn't mind a few fast miles tomorrow.

The next few days will probably only faciliate 60 minute runs max but hopefully will get a good LSR in midweek next week.

Think I'm at about 1583 miles for the year so far...:rolleyes:

Friday 23rd December
    Today, I rest. All I've done is eat. Scones, chocolate, jellies, chocolate, toffypops, steak sandwich & chips, toffypops, roses, coffee, coffee, coffee... out on the lash tonight too. Not the ideal marathon running role model...:rolleyes:

Happy Christmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I was getting worried that you didn't know the meaning of the word 'rest'.

I was getting worried that you didn't know the meaning of the word 'rest'.

I'm an all-or-nothing gal - when I rest, I rest hard! Eating and drinking to excess doesnt come close!! Another rest day today... A fry up for brunch and attered cod and chips for dinner... Nice!

Going to run a goal mile in the morning but have no idea what to aim for...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Going to run a goal mile in the morning but have no idea what to aim for...

Based on what I've been reading on your log lately, I'd say your capable of anything :D
    It may be hard to get a good time tomorrow though with the wind and the huge numbers of people you may encounter but if you're lucky and you get a good heat just run as hard as you can and hang on, only way to run a mile and it'll hurt and I think you could be very surprised at your time.
    Best of luck with it and happy xmas

Sunday 25 December - Goal Christmas Mile
    1 mile @ 6:37
    Decided to run this as the time and location suited me and it was for a good cause. I was also interested in seeing what i could run for a mile in a race-ish type scenario. Had no idea what to aim for or how to run it so it was a learning experience too. Mcmillan gave me 6.54 minutes for a mile based on my DCM time so i decided to just try beat that. Wasnt paying attention to the time of each lap and if i did look at the clock I've forgotten what it said. All i can say is that i was pretty conservative for the first 2.5 laps, started to pick it up then and had too much left in the tank than i suspect i should have had going into thr last lap. Was very happy with my time and it's given me an idea of what i could run for this distance. Defo have a few seconds in me anyway.

Monday 26 December
    10 @ 8:51
    Really needed and enjoyed this run after the excesses of Christmas Day. Was tough at times with the wind and climbs but it made finishung even more sweet and satisfying. Enjoyed the Stephen's Day 3 course meal, champagne, wine and chocolate way more than i would had i let my hangover win and stayed in.

Tuesday 27 December
    1.33 @ 8.42
    Pathetic really - had to collect the car and thereafter today's hangover won!

Not feeling 100% this eve - tired, blocked nose and scratchy throat. Lemsip and an early nigt afte a healthy dinner will hopefully do the trick. I'm looking forward to getting some decent longer runs in this week with having the time off work - I've missed daylight.

Hope Santa was nice to everyone :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Been following your log...fantastic time for the goal mile. Kudos to you...you are flying. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Been following your log...fantastic time for the goal mile. Kudos to you...you are flying. :)

+1 :)

Had to dig this out of the gutter. Lots of updating to be done this morning. I must go make my lemsip max first and try and warm up from the inside out.

Happy new year y'all. Hope everyone is as ecstatic as I am to be back in work! :rolleyes:

Wednesday 28th December
    10.18 @ 8:54
    A few hills and a lot of wind. Good one though. Can't remember much more.

Thursday 29th December
    5 @ 9:10
    Nice and handy in advance of LSR.

Friday 30th December
    15.2 @ 9:20
    Group run in the park. Did the first 8/9 with Digdig before meeting a couple of the others. Not a good run for me. Felt awful for most of it. (I'd been suffering from girl-flu (i.e. manflu with all of the pain but none of the complaints!) for a few days so not overly surprising that I didn't feel great). It was just a matter of pushing through and getting it done. Got an horrendous stitch at about 13 miles which hit me like a tonne of bricks. Stopped for a minute before pushing through the last 2 miles - the stictch lingered though. Not fun. Was glad to be finished.

Saturday 31st December
    5 @ 9;39
    A very handy recovery run to round off 2011. Legs felt a bit dead - not unexpected though. Also still had the remnants of the stitch from the previous day which wasn't a barrel of laughs!

That all brought me up to a grand total of 1630.53 running miles for 2011. Not bad at all; it being my first year of real/proper/regular running.
    2000 next year perhaps...:rolleyes:

Sunday 1st January
    5 @ 7:55 (unofficial pb for that distance :D official pb is 42:21 from race series last summer).
    A really good run to start off the year. Had originally planned a faster one but then didn't feel great so thought about scrapping it. Headed out with Digdig though and it just happened. Waned a little at about 2.5/6 miles and again at 4 but powered through. Was a little wrecked at the end but definitely have more in me for 5 miles. Under Meno's advice now though it's time to focus on Ultra training and save the time trials for Raheny. Will do!

That concludes Week 1 of Ultra training with a total of 52 miles. Think that's my longest week ever. Not bad for the week after Christmas. (Week 1 was running training only...the rest (nutrition, hydration, strength and stretching) leaves a lot to be desired! I'm working on it though).

PB's to date are as follows and need a good bashing in 2012. Hopefully Raheny will sort out the 5 miler in a couple of weeks anyway. Don't know whether I should pick goal times now or as races arise or just try to get a pb everytime….hmmm..

Distance | Time | Event
    5k | 24:18 | Donore 17 May 2011
    10K | 54:03 | Dunshaughlin 26 June 2011
    5 miles | 42:21 | Dublin Race Series 16 July 2011
    10 miles | 1:29.08 | Dublin Race Series 21 August 2010 :o
    13.1 miles | 1:59.49 | Dublin Race Series 18 September 2010 :eek:
    26.2 miles | 3:53.30 | Dublin City Marathon 31 October 2011

The only time there which I'm still delighted with is DCM and breaking a new PB on that is a daunting task. The others should be do-able though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Week 1 and you've done 52 miles :eek: Great work CL :)

There'll be plenty of pb's in this log in 2012.

RubyK wrote: »
    Week 1 and you've done 52 miles :eek: Great work CL :)

There'll be plenty of pb's in this log in 2012.

The joys of having time off work!!

Annual leave may have to serve a different purpose for a few days this year if I'm to get these ultra LSR done!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Your goal Mile time is worth inclusion on your PB list. What's the target for Raheny? 37 I suggest......

Advertisement