Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Thats a great report, well done - well deserved.

To be fair our glorious leader was saying the night before the race in town that you would be well under 4 hours, not a bother on you :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Great report CL. Fantastic run and I'm thrilled for you for getting such a great time in and making it sound easy! Congrats! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Been MIA the last couple of days - read my report again and slipped into a mild coma!

Thanks for all the good wishes guys - just goes to show that anything is possible once you put your mind to it, though the road to the goal is rarely easy! It was tough - but it's made the string of bad training runs and races all worthwhile. I'm not expecting that I'll be free from the difficulties and trying things now, but I think I've learned that the important thing is to keep at it and take strength from the negative feelings - both physical and emotional.

No doubt I'll be back with a puss on my face after a bad race sometime soon but if it takes 10 bad races to get 1 good, I'll take it! :)

Tuesday 1st Nov / Wednesday 2nd Nov / Thursday 3rd Nov
    All much welcomed rest days filled with delicious food, treats and plenty of vino..

Legs were alright Tuesday & Wednesday - just a little DOMS-y and tender anytime I 'jumped' up from my desk and / or looked at a staircase.

Felt a good bit better yesterday and only struggled a little going down the stairs. Even ventured back into my heels in work.. There's only so much slacking one can get away with! :cool:

Friday 4th November
    3.2 miles @ 9.54
    A glorious little early morning recovery run. I can't wait to get back into it... I've changed... Don't judge me.

Heading away for the weekend and looking forward to some nice scenic walks and runs. After that I need to get out the calendar and see what's next. :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Seriously well done CL on the time!

I honestly couldn't believe you doubted a sub4 given the miles we've all seen you put in.....seriously impressed. You certainly made sure you got well under 4hrs :pac:

Now that I see the race t-shirt I actually remember seeing you a number of times (kept trying to figure out who Fagan must be).

I think you broke from the 4hr pacers around the same time I did, clearly you made much better progress then me as you were over 5min ahead at the finish line :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Cabaal wrote: »

I honestly couldn't believe you doubted a sub4 given the miles we've all seen you put in.....seriously impressed. You certainly made sure you got well under 4hrs :pac:

Now that I see the race t-shirt I actually remember seeing you a number of times (kept trying to figure out who Fagan must be).

I think you broke from the 4hr pacers around the same time I did, clearly you made much better progress then me as you were over 5min ahead at the finish line :D

Menoscemo is Fagan on the back of his foreign students getting caught trying to clean out the Dundrum Shopping Centre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Cabaal wrote: »

That would be me :rolleyes:. I saw you two running virtually side by side down the cromwellsfort rd (mile 14-15) and I wanted to run up and introduce you both, but I was already up on pace that mile so I had to reign it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Have you signed up for the ultra in conn orna?
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Oisin11178 wrote: »

She has just been entered......

Let me re-phrase that in case anyone gets the wrong idea:D, claralara is now officially entered and training for the Conn Ultra....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Oisin11178 wrote: »

Let me re-phrase that in case anyone gets the wrong idea:D, claralara is now officially entered and training for the Conn Ultra....

It's only you with your filthy mind would be getting the wrong idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

jcsmum wrote: »
    It's only you with your filthy mind would be getting the wrong idea!

I think he's dragged us all into the gutter with him. In fairness, some of us didn't have far to go :pac:

• Advertisement

And digger? Is he doing it too?

What a waste! :cool:

claralara wrote: »

No doubt I'll be back with a puss on my face

Welcome to my life......:eek:

menoscemo wrote: »
    And digger? Is he doing it too?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

RayCun wrote: »
    I think he's dragged us all into the gutter with him. In fairness, some of us didn't have far to go :pac:

Save yourselves, every man, woman and child for themselves - gutter approaching:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Yep
    The conn ultra is grand.
    If you like pain:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Seriously? The Ultra :eek:? Are you totally Mad :confused:?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

:eek: the ultra now ... Think digger is just trying to slow you down by making you do this, he's just worried you'll beat him in DCM next year (which I think you could....)

shels4ever wrote: »
    :eek: the ultra now ... Think digger is just trying to slow you down by making you do this, he's just worried you'll beat him in DCM next year (which I think you could....)

Digger will need to watch his back in connemara, never mind DCM. I am not sure his old mans legs will get him around 39.3 miles before her :)

I spent all of last week thinking about what the next step after Dublin should or would be. I was absolutely delighted with how it went and it made me certain that I can set tougher targets to train for.

So originally I was thinking of aiming for a 3.45 late spring / early summer marathon, taking in the odd shorter race in training and attempting pb’s followed by Berlin in September (and goals for that to be adjusted accordingly). However, I was also subject to the existing demonic thoughts that were planted in my impressionable mind a few weeks ago i.e. the idea of running an ultra – Connemara or Donadea (which really had me intrigued!).

Anyway long story short and following much (much!) deliberation, I have concluded the following: I have just started a new job that is not going to give me much flexibility in terms of free time. Therefore all of my midweek runs are going to be commutes. These will be either 5 or 8 miles each day depending on where I lay my head at night, and where possible and / or suitable they will be round trips i.e. twice a day! Where the commute is by public transport or otherwise than on foot, it takes a good hour and a quarter out of my day (twice!). Because of this and the weather and dark nights of winter, I don’t think the quality of my training is going to be given the opportunity to improve hugely. But there will be opportunity for good quantity – not junk! That is why I decided that I would focus really hard on building a good solid base over the next few months and run the ultra in Connemara. I won’t be racing it per se – hoping around 9.50 min/miles and to raise some money for charity. It’s a huge challenge and I love a challenge!

I know many of you will disagree and tell me I’m being silly but at the end of the day, I’ve decided to do this for my own reasons and am excited at the prospects and what’s – trials, tribulations and ultimate satisfaction…I hope!

Thereafter, I have a Digdig to beat in Berlin…Over a bottle of vino tinto at the weekend, I may have stupidly shaken on a 3.30 challenge… whoops :o

• Advertisement

sterb048.gif

^That's the last you'll hear from me on the subject.

Mr Slow wrote: »
    sterb048.gif

^That's the last you'll hear from me on the subject.

I don't believe it will be... :rolleyes:

Just texted you ;)

I don't believe it will be... :rolleyes:

Just texted you ;)

Just replied! ;)

I think you're nuts but good luck!

(you might want to get a bike for some of those commutes - run in/cycle home/cycle in/run home - because 5 miles twice a day five days a week will destroy you)

Ah it won't be everyday - the public transport commute is fine when I don't have plans to run. But running it will be the best opportunity I have to run at all if I want anything else in my life apart from work, running and sleeping!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I have also just started new job, and cycle. I really like the cycle to work [only 2 or 3 miles each way, so not too crazy], Im refreshed and ready to go when I get here - I think being a sweating mess would not be great to sit at a desk with :)

re: Ultra, good look, why not! No interest in them at all myself, going one of the other routes you can take on these things, and dont want to do anything twice, and therefore do as many different events as possible :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Great report claralara. What really struck me about your report was how focused and level-headed you were in your training and during the race. You seem to know your limitations and you weren't afraid to push them a little when the time was right. Congratulations on a great race and PB!

Ah it won't be everyday - the public transport commute is fine when I don't have plans to run. But running it will be the best opportunity I have to run at all if I want anything else in my life apart from work, running and sleeping!

Do you have showers in work? If so, you could
    Bus in Monday, bringing clothes for Tuesday and running gear. Run home
    Run in, shower, put on the clean clothes you brought in Monday, bus home with clothes to wash.
    Repeat on Wednesday/Thursday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I know many of you will disagree and tell me I’m being silly but at the end of the day, I’ve decided to do this for my own reasons and am excited at the prospects and what’s – trials, tribulations and ultimate satisfaction…I hope!
    You can only ever run for your own reasons and if this is what drives you, well then great and best of luck with it.

My cousin use to do sth similar, he'd get the bus into work on Mondays and bring all the clothes and stuff he needed which would allow him to run in and home from work Tue/wed/thurs. I think it was a round trip of 12 miles per day. He then got the bus home on Friday, long run Saturday and a rest day Sunday. 50 plus miles each week , he ran 3:30 in Dublin doing that.

• Advertisement

Thereafter, I have a Digdig to beat in Berlin…Over a bottle of vino tinto at the weekend, I may have stupidly shaken on a 3.30 challenge… whoops :o

Indeed you did and just to remind you of the wager, I beat you and I get a Ducati, that Takamine I want and to move from your Mum's shed into the main house ;)

Advertisement