Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

claralara wrote: »
    That sounds like a threat... You can keep your fyffes to yourself. I prefer fairtrade.

Be careful Clara, you may find yourself in need of a good banana some day and the only person willing to give it to you may be Digger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

That sounds like a threat... You can keep your fyffes to yourself. I prefer fairtrade.

My banana for your Fun Park sounds like a fair trade to me.....Jeez...I crack myself up sometimes :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Friday 25th Feb
    - Rest

Saturday 26th Feb
    - 12.57 miles - Av Pace 10.15 - Elevation Gain 735ft :eek:

Well I certainly put the 'slow' back into LSR with this one...

It was a gorgeous morning for a run yesterday and I met up with Emer911 on her turf. I was mildly terrified after reading her log on this route last week. She brought me on a lovely scenic hilly route around Mine Hill lane and on up past the scalp. It started with with a steady climb of 170mt over the first 3.5 miles, the last mile of which is a killer with a 100mt climb. I had to halt the troops and walk the end of the killer hill - I was going so slowly I think would have ended up rolling back down otherwise. It was tough and I could feel it in every inch of my calves, legs and bum (and that's a lot of inches!!). Emer had left water and jellies at the 4mile mark at the top of the climb which were mucho welcomed!! Thank god that what goes up must come down :D The next 4 miles were really enjoyable downhill/flat with lovely views at a very comfortable conversation pace (maybe a little too comfortable...:rolleyes: I'm a bit of a brat - I really hope I wasn't too painfully slow for my host). The last three miles were on the flat in were in Shanganagh park - a gem I'd never visited before. I managed to do these at a 9.40ish average pace but I was pretty pooped! Took a gel at 10.5miles - don't think I needed it or that it was overly beneficial at that point for that run but I'm conscious of experimenting on keeping properly fueled so it was good practice.

Great run all in all - lovely views, great company and good hill practice for Connemara! Happy to have this one under the belt and really hope I wasn't a hindrance to Emer - you'll thank me when you've got lovely rested legs for Ballycotton next weekend...:rolleyes::D

Feel good today, a little heavy and stiff but all good! Only did 26.62miles this last week - I'd like to do a few easy miles and lamp this over 30 today but I have some non-running related self inflicted pain to contend with first...:o Hopefully I can log something for today before close of business!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

I really hope I wasn't too painfully slow for my host
    Great run all in all - lovely views, great company and good hill practice for Connemara! Happy to have this one under the belt and really hope I wasn't a hindrance to Emer - you'll thank me when you've got lovely rested legs for Ballycotton next weekend...:rolleyes::D

Painfully Slow? Nope - after my disaster on this route last week I was determined to take it easy and enjoy the views.
    I really enjoyed it.

If you're on for another hill between now and the 'big race', sure you know where to find me now?!:D

Emer911 wrote: »
    Painfully Slow? Nope - after my disaster on this route last week I was determined to take it easy and enjoy the views.
    I really enjoyed it.

If you're on for another hill between now and the 'big race', sure you know where to find me now?!:D

Yep it was very enjoyable. I'll certainly join you for another. I'd like to make it to the top of that hill without walking - another goal to add to the to-do list :D

Sunday 27th Feb
    - 7.12miles - Av pace 9.31
    This was penance for boozing too much last night, horsing into a dirty eddies at 4am this morning and then spending the day on the couch eating junk food...:eek: I had to collect my car in Knocklyon too so it was a two birds one stone trek. I didn't have high hopes and was actually planning on walking from 3.5miles but it was going alright so I stuck with it. I took it very nice and easy - wouldn't have been able for much more. In fact the nausea was settling in goodo for the last mile.. The heel shaped bruise on my right foot is mildly disconcerting but nothing to worry about...:rolleyes: Looking forward to a good sleep tonight.

Big week this week! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Hi Claralara.

Just catching up on your running log after my 2 week running 'break' :rolleyes:

You are doing amazingly well, 18 miles!? Phew, I cant imagine doing that many miles EVER! Hopefully some day!

Keep it up! Ill be coming to you for advice soon!

yungwan wrote: »
    Hi Claralara.

Just catching up on your running log after my 2 week running 'break' :rolleyes:

You are doing amazingly well, 18 miles!? Phew, I cant imagine doing that many miles EVER! Hopefully some day!

Keep it up! Ill be coming to you for advice soon!

Thanks! I don't think I'm quite qualified yet to be handing out advice but it seems to be going well so far thank god. There are have many many moments where I panic about what I'm letting myself in for! Fingers and toes crossed it all comes together. And this time last year I couldn't imagine myself running further than 10k, least of all enjoying it!! You'll get there :)

Week 9 / 14
    Monday Rest
    Tuesday 5 miles
    Wednesday 5 miles
    Thursday 5 miles
    Friday Rest
    Saturday LSR 20 miles :confused::D:eek::(:rolleyes:
    Sunday TBC - functioning limbs dependend!

I know I should be stretching and rolling right now...ugh. Any minute..

My stupid left shin feels a little tender this evening. I just don't get it! :mad:

Week 9 / 14
    Monday Rest
    Tuesday 5 miles
    Wednesday 5 miles
    Thursday 5 miles
    Friday Rest

My stupid left shin feels a little tender this evening. I just don't get it! :mad:

Stupid is as stupid does!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Week 9 / 14
    Monday Rest
    Tuesday 5 miles
    Wednesday 5 miles
    Thursday 5 miles
    Friday Rest

What did the physio say about this? I have problems with my left shin but thats coming from my back, into my glutes, into my hamstrings and then to my calf which is the root of my problem I think. Need to up my sports massage frequency to weekly if I'm not going to stretch/foam roll...

• Advertisement

What did the physio say about this? I have problems with my left shin but thats coming from my back, into my glutes, into my hamstrings and then to my calf which is the root of my problem I think. Need to up my sports massage frequency to weekly if I'm not going to stretch/foam roll...

Snap - that's exactly what's causing the tension in my shin. She said my whole left side is far weaker and tighter than my right which is putting the pressure on my left shin. She gave me exercises to stretch and strengthen which I have to have to be more diligent about. The dry needling and sports massage a couple of weeks ago worked a dream and I got some good runs in after it. It's obvious that my problem is mainly the tightness in my calves. Ok, I'm off to roll - 30 mins before bed. What are you doing / should you be doing yourself?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm getting butchered a massage every fortnight and I'm meant to be stretching(I'm not doing it), foam rolling(again, this isn't really happening) and doing strengthening work for the glutes and core. My problem most likely comes from my job which just makes it worse. I hate when work interferes with real life. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

From someone whose legs aren't the best, stretching every morning and night does help but it takes a while to get the good effects. Foam rolling, even if its 2 minutes twice a day help but you have to do it.

I agree its a right time killer but if you are watching something on telly, you can do the exercises then. You fit it in if you want to.

Also a good sports massage is a great thing every couple of weeks and Clara, you should have 2 or 3 prior to the big day in Connemara as there's only so much you can do yourself.

Tennis ball/golf ball under the calf on a hard floor is the best way to make yourself remember to stretch often!!

By the way, are we all on mileage rates for Saturday?

I'm getting butchered a massage every fortnight and I'm meant to be stretching(I'm not doing it), foam rolling(again, this isn't really happening) and doing strengthening work for the glutes and core. My problem most likely comes from my job which just makes it worse. I hate when work interferes with real life. :mad:

Snap, snap, snap - I'm going to have to make a concerted effort to just get off my a$s and do it! I'll really try this week and hopefully see an improvement. Every night - 30 mins at least. No excuses. I'll check on you to make sure you're doing your homework too. :pac:
    chinguetti wrote: »
    From someone whose legs aren't the best, stretching every morning and night does help but it takes a while to get the good effects. Foam rolling, even if its 2 minutes twice a day help but you have to do it.

I agree its a right time killer but if you are watching something on telly, you can do the exercises then. You fit it in if you want to.

Also a good sports massage is a great thing every couple of weeks and Clara, you should have 2 or 3 prior to the big day in Connemara as there's only so much you can do yourself.

Tennis ball/golf ball under the calf on a hard floor is the best way to make yourself remember to stretch often!!

By the way, are we all on mileage rates for Saturday?

You have my permission to beat me if I don't spend at least 30minutes a day stretching and rolling for the rest of the week. Deal? One of the guys in the office has a bad back and disappears out to the stairwell to stretch every few hours - I might join him. We can get a staff conditioning class going in lieu of the copious amounts of coffee breaks...:rolleyes:

Re Saturday - my brother has decided to hit me with a 'the world doesn't revolve around you and your training' bomb and I now have to make myself available for my niece's christening... So I'm going to head over to the park for 8 and the slowpoke is going to join me at 9. If you feel you could pencil in your support at any stage that would be wonderful :D Seeing as the rest of them will be off on holidays not appreciating my pain at all!

I would put it in the group training thread but I worry it'd be far too slow for people..:o

I bought one of these and it's magic, painful but as you know pain is your friend ;)

I'm sitting at my desk and just about to finish up for the evening. Have my gear in a bag at my feet and supposed to be heaing out for 5 miles. However I'm having a bit of a meltdown... I don't want to do it. It's not that I don't want to get out and run because I do - I know I'll enjoy it, it'll only be 50mins max and I'll be back in the car and home in no time. I'm just really worried that my shin is going to play up. If it gets sore again, someone will lose an eye. And I'll probably be my first target! Aaaarrrrgghh!! Nightmare!! Rant over.. Off I go.. :(

Well if i'm getting an offer of attacking you if you don't do 30 minutes exercises a night, i might as well turn up for 9 (the cat will wake me in plenty of time) with mrs low.

Go for the run, don't panic and don't think about it. just go and enjoy it.

I'm sitting at my desk and just about to finish up for the evening. Have my gear in a bag at my feet and supposed to be heaing out for 5 miles. However I'm having a bit of a meltdown... I don't want to do it. It's not that I don't want to get out and run because I do - I know I'll enjoy it, it'll only be 50mins max and I'll be back in the car and home in no time. I'm just really worried that my shin is going to play up. If it gets sore again, someone will lose an eye. And I'll probably be my first target! Aaaarrrrgghh!! Nightmare!! Rant over.. Off I go.. :(

Jeezez....:eek:....

How did you get on?

Well if i'm getting an offer of attacking you if you don't do 30 minutes exercises a night, i might as well turn up for 9 (the cat will wake me in plenty of time) with mrs low.

Listen to Spaghetti, he knows what he's talking about :D

mrslow wrote: »
    Listen to Spaghetti, he knows what he's talking about :D

Mmmmm...spaghetti...tasty :pac:

Done, done, done, done and done! :D

Don't go getting the belt out just yet, the foam roller is on the sitting room floor... Just looking at it makes me feel like a marathon runner..
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    Jeezez....:eek:....

How did you get on?

I'm home - fed and watered, X2 eyes in working order, a smile on my already ridiculously handsome face and a happy shin (so far anyway!) :D So no need to line up to have your eyes gouged out by me just yet!!

Tuesday 1st March
    - 5.01miles - Av Pace 8.55
    A route as flat as a pancake (mmmm...pancakes..!) around town and along the canal. Not great Connemara training but miles notched nonetheless. Calves were a bit tight so I listened to the sensible and stopped at 3 miles for a good ole stretch on the side of the road. First time I've ever stretched for more than 5 seconds during a run and it was so worth it. Followed by a lovely springy 2 miles home.

The shin pain is definitely coming from the tight calves. I need to learn from this!!

Claralara and the alter ego were in full blown fisticuffs tonight..it could have ended very badly.. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

40 days to go.. how ya feeling? :pac::D

You'll be able to wear my bottle belt in no time with all those Homer Simpson food references ;)

40 days to go.. how ya feeling? :pac::D

Just read your log, you've taper madness in full swing!

The shin pain is definitely coming from the tight calves.

Livestock from Cavan...?

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Livestock from Cavan...?

Like it!

D'ja hear the one about the lad in Cavan who dropped into his neighbour to find him stripping the wallpaper, 'Are ya redecorating Johnny?' 'No' says Johnny 'We're moving' :D

Well done on those 5 miles. Don't get too worried about niggles, your mind will begin to play tricks on you which will make the smallest thing into a mountain. This is normal and happens to everyone. I could give you examples but you would then read it and think you have the aliment so no examples....

I'm looking forward to this log when taper madness hits in about 25 days, it should be great reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Hey guys,

I am up for a 50 min run at 8 on saturday morning alright but need to know a couple things...anybody going from Templogue/Terenure?

Also where to meet and I have no idea what you guys look like,.....

Finally, if I do go I am in lectures at 09.30 so I need somewhere to store my bag.... any suggustions??

Andrew

I hit snooze yesterday morning. And then I got up. And then I got back into bed. It was very cold out there. So I packed a bag and decided to drive into work instead. The drive took me 54 minutes. It takes in or around 52 minutes to run the same route. If that is not motivation to get off my lazy a$s and get the commute and run done in the same breath, I don’t know what’s wrong with me. Particularly with the brighter (hopefully warmer) mornings. Lesson transmitted, hopefully learned…

Because I had post work plans I had to run at lunchtime. In which time I can realistically only fit in 4 miles with having to get changed before, showered after and fed etc. So I was kind of pushing my luck attempting 5 miles with this one. I only had time for 4.5 in the end because it was 1.10 by the time I got going and had to stop at the shop on the way back to get bread - a vital component of a sandwich, which I discovered when I went to put the contents of my lunchbox together sans said bread before I went so it’d be ready and waiting on my return. All in all it was a bit of a messed rush which resulted in me destroying my desk and files with crumbs from my bready sandwich and water drops from my soaking hair… Don’t get me wrong, I’ll definitely do it again. Maybe with a little more forethought the next time though.

Wednesday 2nd March 3
    - 4.56 – Av. Pace 8.58 (flat route)
    Shin pain 110% coming from the tight calves which are tighter than I have ever experienced in my short young life. As soon as I stretch, it eases. This is one lesson that I actually am practicing this week. I’m going to book a sports massage for next week as a post 20mile treat so that should help. I was thinking on this run that my poor legs are just fooked at the minute. I could not say the last time they felt fresh and totally cooperative – is this normal? I’m going to pick up compression socks / tights tomorrow in anticipation of Saturday’s jelly legs.

Supposed to be doing 5 today but really busy and have cinema plans tonight so I’m not sure if I’ll get it in... bold I know! I’d be happy to even get out for 30mins and a good stretch before Saturday. I’ll do my very bestest. :)

Shin pain 110% coming from the tight calves which are tighter than I have ever experienced in my short young life.

Quick question, are you spending much time in your 6" heels?

• Advertisement

6 inch heels and compression socks...:eek:

Advertisement