Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

As a well done for your race in Boston I'll be presenting you with a very fashionable grey hoodie in Limerick this weekend.

*Don't blame me if it's stretched to bits, blame the crappy weather that left me scrounging my car for clothes!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

Just finished reading your race report now, I started last week :D
    Really enjoyed it and thanks for sharing.

I had actually forgotten about it till I saw you running home yesterday. I was on my way home from training with the kids and as we passed you I said ''see that runner there, she ran Boston 2 weeks ago'' kids replied ''she must be really good...but why is she running so slow'' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

I had actually forgotten about it till I saw you running home yesterday. I was on my way home from training with the kids and as we passed you I said ''see that runner there, she ran Boston 2 weeks ago'' kids replied ''she must be really good...but why is she running so slow'' :D

Brilliant! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What is with all the stalking around here lately? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

TBB put me up to it just in case something should befall him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

TBB put me up to it just in case something should befall him.

CL started all the stalking! I even found her in the garden shed last night going through TBB's post :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

And a month later… I’ve taken the post-marathon recovery cycle to a whole new level. Training and discipline has gone out the window. My body, like my log, has fallen into a state of disrepair. I’ve been consuming far too much of the juice from the grapevine and produce from the cocoa bean. I don’t regret it. I trained hard for Boston from injury, through a cold, wet and miserable winter/spring, and on to my marathon PB. The downtime was much needed. And I figured that if the body wanted the junk, why not just feed it! And now the body wants the junk no more. It’s craving a healthy and wholesome lifestyle (relatively speaking!) and a training plan with hard work and goals. My head is back in the zone and the motivation to get stuck into something is high.

I’ve done little bits and pieces over the past 5 weeks but it’s been stress and hassle free – running whenever I want, wherever I want, as fast or as slow as I feel like. If a training session or a race has suited me, I’ve gotten stuck in. If not, I’ve skipped it. I’ve run an 800m race on the track for the craic. I came second last – it was like a different sport but it was a good experience and I had nothing to lose. I’ve paced a couple of half marathons (Limerick & Kildare) which have been great craic. And I’ve run a 5k PB of 19:09 in the Leixlip 5K which was brilliant but there’s more to do there!

I just want to log the miles / “training” for the last month and then I’ll post a rough plan of action for the next few weeks.

Friday 19 April
    3 @ 8:17
    First post-marathon run. Felt good!

Saturday 20 April
    6.2 @ 7:16
    Trotted around the K Club 10k nice and comfortably. I was planning a 6 mile run so why not do it in a group followed by the best post-race spread around! :)
    Splits: 7:40 / 7:27 / 7:25 / 7:25 / 7:18 / 6:39 / 0.2 @ 6:05

Sunday 21 April
    5:45 @ 7:31

40.85 miles for the week incl. marathon

Monday 22 April
    5.8 @ 8:15

Tuesday 23 April
    5 @ 8:48

Wednesday 24 April
    Nowt

Thursday 25 April
    6 @ 7:43

Friday 26 April
    20 minutes on the turbo…very very very easy!

Saturday 27 April
    7.5 miles with no Garmin

Sunday 28 April
    4 miles with no Garmin
    This included a 5K fun run in Southport in the UK. I was over visiting my cousin and had seen it advertised. It was preceded by 2 nights on the beer and took place on a very windy beach! It was very much a family fun run for charity. No time keepers or anything. I had no Garmin and was really just running it for the craic and a bit of a hard workout. Placed second overall and won the ladies race. The guy who won asked me would I be interested in joining the Southport Rovers which was a nice compliment!!

28.3 miles for the week

Monday 29 April
    5.8 @ 7:39

Tuesday 30 April
    5.3 @ 7:33

Wednesday 1 May
    3 mile W/U
    800m race - 2:45 – separate report to follow for the pure entertainment factor!!

Thursday 2 May

Friday 3 May
    4 @ 8:56

Saturday 4 May
    Leixlip 5K – 19:09 – PB :D
    5.1 miles incl W/U

Sunday 5 May
    13.1 miles – 1:39.38 – pacing Limerick HM

36.8 miles for the week

Monday 6 May
    Nothing – a close friend lost her dad so any spare time was better spent with friends.

Tuesday 7 May
    As above

Wednesday 8 May
    6 @ 8:10

Thursday 9 May
    7.2 @ 7:45

Friday 10 May
    Circuit Class with the club and Mick Dowling. Really enjoyed this. It was tough but I could see how beneficial it would be if I did it more often. Need to gain some strength and lose some fat. Would be great if I could make it every week but it’s on a Friday evening which can be difficult to plan for…

Saturday 11 May
    4 @ 9:02

Sunday 12 May
    13.1 miles – 1:44.35 – pacing Kildare HM

30.3 miles for the week

Monday 13 May
    Wussed my lazy a5s out of a planned evening run. I started the week badly and it went downhill from there…

Tuesday 14 May
    5.8 @ 8:40

Wednesday 15 May
    5.8 with no Garmin

Thursday 16 May
    First club session. Had no more excuses not to go back to club so headed out after work. Thought I’d get away with not doing a session so ate quite late / too close to training – it was a bad idea. I was so so so close to just doing an easy run with the girls who were racing yesterday but at the last minute the mental strength won over and I got stuck into the session. Plan was 6 X 600. I pushed hard and was very happy the effort. Did 7 X 600 in the end and they were all in/around 2:13/15.
    4.5 miles incl W/U & W/D

Friday 17 May
    Booze / dirty food / Amlin Cup Final
    No physical exertion

Saturday 18 May
    Booze / dirty food / Heineken Cup Final
    No physical exertion

Sunday 19 May
    Stewarded at the club race in Terenure which was a huge success. Fantastic day and great turn out. Big thumbs up to everyone involved and running.
    A special shout out to TBB who tested our skills by taking the scenic route home during his Sunday morning jaunt. I like his style – keeping us on our toes – I wouldn’t like to get complacent in my extra curricular pursuits so I have no objection to this latest behaviour. I look forward to joining him for a run (with or without his knowledge) in the near future.. ;)
    The afternoon was spent in the sun at my niece’s 1st Birthday party – it was most definitely a party for the grown ups though, as I once again pigged out on BBQ’d food, chocolate, cake, white wine and failed to burn one ounce of calorific goodness!

16.1 miles for the week…whoopsie daisies… :(:(:(

The last three days have given me a much needed kick up the bum. I feel so gross and I’m a little annoyed that I may have done some ruined the assault I had been planning on the Bob Heffernan 5K in Meath tomorrow evening. But sure the damage is done so all I can do now is make a plan and clean up my act!

I’m going to get stuck into an epic two weeks of clean living before the Mini Marathon because I would love love to break 40 for it.

No junk food or booze during the week – healthy eating and early nights are desperately needed. In fact, I’m banning chocolate until after the race altogether…except for this Sunday (because I’m pacing the Enniscorthy HM and it’s really rude not to each chocolate with a cuppa after a HM…) :rolleyes: ;
    )

I really really want to run a 5K PB tomorrow evening...

I’ve gotten a new strength and conditioning program to do 3 days a week so S&C days will be Monday, Wednesday & Friday.

I’ve gotten a new foam rolling and stretching program which I WILL do EVERY morning.

I’ll be getting myself back down to club sessions and the only excuse for not making these will be if I’m racing.

That will see me into the first week of June and should be a kickstart for a summer of great training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Star of the Sea 5K tomorrow week if you need another week to prepare ;)

Just off the M1 as well.

claralara wrote: »
    I really really want to run a 5K PB tomorrow evening...

Me too! See ya there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

blockic wrote: »
    Me too! See ya there.

Me 3, lets just hope it's not 4.9k :rolleyes:

menoscemo wrote: »
    Me 3, lets just hope it's not 4.9k :rolleyes:

I'll just run on past the finish if it is! Wouldn't be the first time! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I'm going to the pub tomorrow night and will think of ye all as i have a pint:D.

I'll just run on past the finish if it is! Wouldn't be the first time! :D

At least you didn't do it at the end of an ultra!!

I look forward to joining him for a run (with or without his knowledge) in the near future.. ;)

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

4 miles with no Garmin
    This included a 5K fun run in Southport in the UK. I was over visiting my cousin and had seen it advertised. It was preceded by 2 nights on the beer and took place on a very windy beach! It was very much a family fun run for charity. No time keepers or anything. I had no Garmin and was really just running it for the craic and a bit of a hard workout. Placed second overall and won the ladies race. The guy who won asked me would I be interested in joining the Southport Rovers which was a nice compliment!!

They are always on the look out for new recruits for their meet and train groups!
    800m race - 2:45 – separate report to follow for the pure entertainment factor!!

I'd like to do an accompanying piece. It was a good run but how you managed to stuff in so much comedy gold into 2 minutes 45 seconds is a testament to your simple nature :)

TRR wrote: »
    They are always on the look out for new recruits for their meet and train groups!)

Why did everyone assume it was a running club, I read it differently! ;)

Monday 20 May
    6 @ 7:58
    Ran home from work - first run in 3 days after a very toxic few days of no running. Learned my lesson about not stretching/warming down after a club session and then failing to do any recovery run in favour of eating and drinking! It took about 5.9 miles for the legs to warm up and made me doubt the 5K PB I was so desperately seeking the following day.  

Tuesday 21 May
    AM
    10 mins easy turbo
    25 mins foam rolling/stretching  

PM
    Bob Heffernan 5K - 18:48 - New PB - delighted.com
    Just a short note for me own records:- The plan was a PB and sub-19. I knew the legs had sub-19 in them generally after the Leixlip 5K, but I wasn't confident it was there on the night. Lined up just behind Meno thinking that if I could keep him in my sights, then I'd be doing alright. Sub-19 pace is strictly 3:46m/km (I think… I feel dirty just using those references!) but seeing as the Garmin can be a little off I wanted to run even 3:45s. I haven't got the Garmin to hand at the minute but I think the first 2 were a little fast and I could start to feel the lactic too early so I eased back a tad and kept it steady. I wanted to run for my PB not a place so I was happy enough being sensible and heeding the feel (don't misread that - it hurt like hell, just not as much as it could (possibly should?!) have! I didn't want to go out as hard as racing for a place only to blow up and miss the goal. The standard was too high for me for that so it suited perfectly to just race against myself :) I just ran hard to keep Meno in hunting distance. I don't remember much about the race but I remember thinking that although it was a nice course, there were some nasty speed bumps on it which aren't pleasant in the fighting stages of a short race. A couple of guys had been on my shoulder for the first 3K - once of them breathing like Darth Vader and I really thought I'd shake them but they must have been using me (poor sad little me) as a marker and they kicked on for the final 2K. I could see Tang1 just ahead of me with about 1.5K to go so I made a good solid effort to catch him. I managed to catch him and pass him for a couple of seconds but he fought back and outkicked me big time in the finishing straight. Was absolutely bloody delighted with my time. It was definitely a welcome surprise on the day.
    W/U 2 @ 8:05 while discussing the all important beer swilling mile with the boardsies! [
    3.1 (measured perfectly! :p) @ 6:03
    W/D 2 @ 9:06while dissecting the race with the all important Boardsie PB Masters!
    7.1 all in.  

I have to say - it was nice of Meno to acknowledge that my log title won't turn out to be a regretful embarrassment necessitating an eating of one's words… ;);)  

Wednesday 22 May
    AM
    Core Circuit 1 & 2

PM 7 @ 8:35
    Took the scenic run home from work to pick up a bottle of PB wine…both for the purposes of recovery of course! ;)  

Thursday 23 May [
    B]AM[/B]
    25 mins foam rolling/stretching   [

B]PM[/B]
    Headed down to club - plan was basically to do a good run as hard as was sensible given Tuesday's race. It was a lovely evening for it and we headed out of Bushy along the Dodder to eat some flies!
    W/U

W/D
    miles all in.   [

B]Friday 24 May[/B]
    Rest  

Saturday 25 May
    Usually when I say I don't remember a run, it's because it was a non-event or I didn't write it down straight away…it's rarely because I am actually still steaming and running on the previous night's wine that I have no idea how I've come to being dressed in my running gear standing by the track in Tallaght with a thumping pain in my liver and the coach telling me I smell worse than a brewery…hmmmm…nuff said! Anyway….we ran up to club, I think I did a 400 and a 200 but I can't be sure, and then we ran home. And then at some stage on Saturday afternoon, I sobered up and got much deserved hangover! :D
    7.3 miles all in according to a note I scrawled in me diary!   [

B]Sunday 26 May[/B]
    Pacing 1:45 Enniscorthy Half Marathon - 13.1miles in 1:44.48…nicely done!
    Paced with Blocky and we had a good group to start. The hills and the heat were a killer though and we had a lot of casualties around the 7 mile mark which was probably the end of the toughest mile and a half on the course. For a little while we were running on our own as we sent a solid group of 4/5 guys on ahead. We continued on shouting over our shoulders at a few guys who were hanging onto us and we picked up a couple of strays who were flagging in the final 3 miles and in the end we got a good group home. We picked on the token victim for the final 500m knowing that although he wanted to absolutely kill us, he'd thank us in the aftermath when he got his time. With lots of gentle (ahem) encouragement, we got him over the line sub 1:45 and he was delighted! Yes, we do know best. It was a successful day and good to get a longish run in - I definitely wouldn't have gotten out for anything over 5/6 had I not been pacing.  

While Digs and Spagbol were warming up/showing off their balloons - they were pacers you know… Blocky and I were like the bold school kids sitting on the wall. It was worth suffering the stiff legs because the paps took the opportunity get some money shots. I just know Digger will be devastated when the next issue of the Enniscorthy Echo is published to see the 1:45 Glamour Pacers taking centrefold.  

Back up on the weekly mileage thank God - starting to feel a bit more like my pre-marathon self and not the monster that has emerged since!

Never get to come onto Boards anymore though so I'm really behind on all the Cork Marashin taper madness and the manorexic discussions and the monstermunchieathon preparation! Hope everyone is doing well and all the plans are coming together!

Ugh...i hate new age media and tabular devices!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I have to say - it was nice of Meno to acknowledge that my log title won't turn out to be a regretful embarrassment necessitating an eating of one's words… ;);)  

Haha, it seems our racing paths are not going to dissect for a few months....Smackdown at National half??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

That's mad - what a sly dog... ;)

I can't believe Ive spent my savings on self help books for digs when I have my very own motivational speaker in my pocket!! :)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Haha, it seems our racing paths are not going to dissect for a few months....Smackdown at National half??

Running on club team for national half... Will be running my legs off / heart out that day!!

Running on club team for national half... Will be running my legs off / heart out that day!!

Oooh, romanchick......

Another busy week for me! I’m considering ditching the log… Digdig can keep track of the email and Boards life, while I take care of the short messaging service and facebook side of things, and then we can exchange news, plans and social engagements at the end of every day!!

Monday 27 May 4-6recovery/easy
    AM Core Circuit 1 & 2
    PM 4.5 @ 8:36
    A bug-eating recovery run around the mean street of Dublin 16 post-work IIRC.

Tuesday 8 May 5 mile race
    AM 20 mins foam rolling & stretching
    PM BHAA 5 Mile Race Dunboyne
    A very short & sweet one! Nabbed myself another PB so happy out! Previous 5 mile PB was 33:03 (or maybe 33:15?! Can’t remember!!) from a race in March while training for Boston. It was really windy that day and although I was happy enough with the time, I had been hoping to be closer to 32:30 and given my fitness levels at the time, I should have been. Anyhoo – for this race, I had a plan - 6:15 pace and a finishing time of 31:15. I changed my mind on the start line. In hindsight – I stupidly changed my mind on the start line! When the gun went I had a look around and saw that I was first lady. I decided to race for a place. Bad idea. I took off like I was running an 800m race. The blow up started after about 400m!! Eventual first lady went by me after half a mile. Eventual second lady went by me after a mile. Eventual third lady didn’t put me out of my misery until over 3 miles in. She urged me to keep with her but I was in a heap. Knowing I was out of the prizes took the pressure (my own!) off and I gave in to easing back. I was thinking about the mini marathon and whether I was jeopardising that goal and I seriously considered giving up and jogging home. Then I realised I would have 6 days to recover, that I was just looking for excuses and I would be raging with myself if I didn’t run a half-decent time. So, as the eventual fourth lady went by me, I found a bit of something, gritted my teeth and started to dig in for what ended up being an almighty fight for fifth position. The lady who tried to pip me in the Raheny 2 mile a couple of months back was hanging on my shoulder preparing for a finishing assault on me. She had loads of support for the last half a mile and I wanted to kill each and every person shouting for her!! I was absolutely dying when we turned into the car park for a lap of the track. TRR was standing roaring at me to hold her off and I put the boot down. As did she. I couldn’t sustain it though and felt myself slowing with about 150m to go. She slowed with me. I saw TRR, who was still roaring at me, by the finish line and literally used every teeny tiny ounce of power and energy I could find to cross the finish line ahead of her in a time of 31:33 on the watch – I think the official result will be a little slower as there was no start mat but I haven’t had the chance to check yet. It was so tough. The lactic had built way too early in the race which gave me a stitch and breathing akin to 5K effort. Not fun. But I am delighted with my time and it was a savage character building run.
    Great runs all round judging by the way the lads were treating themselves to a binge and eventual sugar cramps afterwards!! Well done to all!

Total for the day:
    1 W/U w/strides
    5 @ 6:18 – Splits: 6:03 / 6:06 / 6:19 / 6:42 (!) / 6:22 My first mile was slower than last week’s 5K (5:53/6:07/6:07/ plus .17 @ 5:48) but the fact that I took off with a sprint meant it was never going to be sustainable. Plus it was a longer race…therefore 5K effort(ish!) was always a bad idea!!
    1.75 W/D through a darkening wooded area with Digs, TRR, the King of Running, the Quirky of Doctor, and flatulent conversational topics that a 12 year old boy would be proud of!! I think I’ll warm down in peace and safety on my own in the future!

Wednesday 29 May 4-6recovery/easy
    AM Core Circuit 1 & 2
    PM 5.5 @ 8:43
    Ran from work to the parentals for a BBQ and a couple* of glasses of vino to say ta-ra to my sister who was heading back to Oz. A nice effort- and stress-free uphill trot :)
    *may have been slightly more than a couple!

Thursday 30 May 10-12 easy
    11 @ 8:28
    I had a massage after work which was great except I had to do my run afterwards. Which was a bit of a pain but better than no massage at all I suppose. First 4.5 miles were yuck. I had a heavy backpack and it was very warm – pace for those averaged 8:45. The remaining 6.5 miles were grand. I was a bit wrecked and unenthused but no major problems. The 6.5 sans backpack felt recovery pace slow even though they probably averaged 8:15 so I suppose that’s a positive. Shoulders are pretty sore at the moment – my chair in work is very poor and I have bad posture at the best of time. I'm considering investing in a good chair myself and bringing it in. Although, then I’ll be ‘that person’… and I’m not quite sure I’m ready for that freak/high maintenance label just yet! Also, according to MS’s eye candy masseur (;)) my quads and hammies are grand but my calves are very tight and I really need to work on them! I’ll be camping out on the foam roller between stretching for the weekend. Hopefully 3 rest/recovery days will sort me out.

Friday 31 May Rest
    Rest
    A rest day so yep... you’ve guessed it... I’ve been eating all around me! The bottomless pit is back in action!! :D

A rest day so yep... you’ve guessed it... I’ve been eating all around me! The bottomless pit is back in action!! :D

Thought you were turning over a new leaf!! What happened there!

Good time and race all the same on Tuesday, the last 2 miles looked like torture!!

Best of luck in the elite pen Monday! ;)

Thought you were turning over a new leaf!! What happened there!

Good time and race all the same on Tuesday, the last 2 miles looked like torture!!

Best of luck in the elite pen Monday! ;)

Practice for the beer mile has been - a bottle of Corona followed by 300m......

Practice for the mini jogathon has been - eat a six pack of monster munchies, walk 50m, smoke 20 johnny blue, walk 50m, 4 hrs later get medal from meno'hanlon :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Shoulders are pretty sore at the moment – my chair in work is very poor and I have bad posture at the best of time.

Maybe you could get your employers to get you one instead. That's what I did after my back problems earlier in the year. It cost over a grand mind you but I think it has helped me, mind you I produced a doctors note so that helped with convincing them I needed it.

digger2d2 wrote: »
    4 hrs later get medal from meno'hanlon :D:D

How's meno'hanlon going to be in both Dublin and Cork on Monday? Gary will be crossing the finish line in Cork at 11:30 and will need his medal?

Helicoptor straight up after I spose! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Congrats tonight!!

Advertisement