Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go Forward in Reverse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Today:

5 miles in 45.17. Average pace 9.03.

Stiff legs today. Felt ok though.

This morning.

Heavy rain and cold were my companions on this recovery jaunt.

2.6 miles in 23.03. 8.52 pace. Was meant to be three miles but my loop brought me home short and I couldnt face the effort of the extra bit.

Week 2 done. Two 5 run weeks in a row. Pretty chuffed with myself.

Today:

3 miles in 24.19. Pace 8.07.

Bit faster than usual today. Weather is really bright which makes a big difference. Still a struggle to get out the door though.

Just had a look at my marathon spits from 2011. Amazingly i've never paid much attention to them. The fact I ran the first 10km in a P.B. of 47.15 probably explains a lot of the mystery about why I did so badly.

Because I had never paid attention to pace before when I got to the half way point at about 2hrs I thought I was ok timewise. Ok I would be outside of my 4 hour timeframe unless I really pushed it but not hugely. Ha reality - I was slowing down hugely already and had blown my load in the first ten k. What a simple thing running is...if you pay any attention whatsoever to what you're doing.

Ended up finishing in 4hrs 39 in the rain. Demoralising to say the least when you miss your target by 39 minutes. Especially when you've trained for it and think its realistic. I had done the Dublin half in 1.48 just a month before.

Just some thoughts to remind me to get out there and HTFU. We don't want that feeling again.

Placing my neck on the chopping block now and putting it out for all to see, ill be aiming for sub 3.45 in Dublin in October. My times are terrible at the moment but they will improve.

Today:

6 x 400 metre intervals with 400 recovery in between.

Times - 1.31, 1.28, 1.32, 1.34, 1.36, 1.31.

Pretty happy with that as its faster than the last time I did intervals. All I can ask for is progress. Slow and steady.

Id like to know which is better - running fast intervals with walking recovery or slightly slower intervals with jogging recovery.

Also is there anything more annoying than a reply that disappears when you try to post it? Gurrrr

• Advertisement

Today:

3 miles in 24.34.

Just a recovery plod. Legs feel good.

Today

4 miles in 34.38. 8.39 pace.

Had to really force myself out the door for this. Didnt feel great. Stiff in hips and right knee grumbling a bit too.

Just a 6 miler left for the week. Might try to get it out of the way tomorrow. Depends on the legs.

Today

4 miles in 34.38. 8.39 pace.

Had to really force myself out the door for this. Didnt feel great. Stiff in hips and right knee grumbling a bit too.

Just a 6 miler left for the week. Might try to get it out of the way tomorrow. Depends on the legs.

Today:

6 miles in 50.57. 8.29 pace.

Delighted with this. The first 4 miles were an out and back along the side of a main road. Very hilly and windy. Last two weren't much better! Before I started I just wanted sub 55.

But I kept an eye on pace and did my best to keep under 8.30. Scraped it in the end. This run feels like real progress. Makes the crap runs worth it!

Today:

3 miles in 24.07. Pace 8.02.

• Advertisement

Today:

35 minute tempo run. 4.03 miles.

Garmin wasn't clocking pace per mile so I dont have the breakdown of pace per mile. think ive fixed that by setting auto lap each mile.

Im not very good at tempo runs. I get the idea but I struggle to up the pace if I start slow. It'll come with time I'm sure.

I did this on a soggy football pitch which probably didn't help. I started around 9 min mile and got up to about 8.20. Should be running this faster.

Today:

3 miles in 22.34. Mile 1 7.10, 2 7.40, 3 7.45.

Bit of a 3 mile test today. Pretty happy with this. Anything under 23 was where I was aiming. Plan was to stick to 7.30 pace but with first mile being downhill I tried to bank some time. Second mile has big long uphill drag so that always slows me. Third mile was just about keeping pace as near to 7.40 as possible.

My goal at the moment was sub 22 for 5km on St Patricks weekend. On route for that hopefully.

Just looked back through my log and thats a training PB!! Woohoo!!

Today:

2.59 miles in 23.02.

Recovery run. Absolutely horrible day out there. Soaked to the bone and frozen.

Time for a long hot shower.

Today:

22 minute jog. No garmin. Presume about two and a half mile.

Moving house with the parents all day yesterday. Worst job ever. The stormy conditions obviously added to the joy of lugging heavy furniture all day.

Bit of a step back week in training this week so was only due to do four runs but went out to wake up a bit and clear the head. Slow plod being nosey. Nice bright day for once.

Right knee hurting which I think could be the runners. Back to my trusty Brooks me thinks.

Today:

34 minute run. Plan was for three miles today. As Garmin has disappeared in a pile of boxes and I haven't ran around here before I just went for a ramble.

Probably 4 miles or thereabouts. Sore throat coming on. Not a very energetic run. Hopefully no sickness!

Day off tomorrow as i have to go to dublin. Back to it with intervals on Wednesday.

Today:

All bunged up.

10 min jog warm up and cool down.

7x 400 metres with 2 minutes recovery between each.

1.31, 1.29, 1.31, 1.36, 1.32, 1.34, 1.35.

Ran these on a track. First time on a track since I was a kid. Good fun. For the 400 its great to see exactly how far you have to go right in front of you.

Used the St Laurence O Toole track in Carlow. Bit flooded but great to be able to use it for free.

Today:

3.44 miles in 28.02. Pace 8.09.

Really horrible run. Just shuffling around. Im a bit bunged up with man flu since yesterday. Im hoping thats the cause.

Today:

6.2 miles in 52.48. 8.41 avg pace.

Still feeling the effects of man flu. Pretty sore all over and lacking in energy.

Plan called for 4 miles but I swapped for the 6 planned for the weekend. The four should be at a faster pace which I knew wouldn't go well.

Just happy to get it done. Sun made an appearance so I shouldn't complain!

My cheer me up song on today's run...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFxoVs1j9Ls&list=FLPTyCRYodDTPJpznwoIHpGQ

Follow, follow the sun
    and which way the wind blows
    when this day is done.

Breathe, breathe in the air.
    Set your intentions.
    Dream with care.

Tomorrow is a new day for everyone,
    Brand new moon, brand new sun.
    So follow, follow the sun,
    the direction of the bird,
    the direction of love.

Breathe, breathe in the air,
    cherish this moment,
    cherish this breath.

Tomorrow is a new day for everyone,
    brand new moon, brand new sun.
    When you feel life coming down on you,
    like a heavy weight.
    When you feel this crazy society,
    adding to the strain.
    Take a stroll to the nearest waters edge
    remember your place.
    Many moons have risen and fallen long, long before you came.

So which way is the wind blowin',
    and what does your heart say?
    So follow, follow the sun,
    and which way the wind blows
    when this day is done...

Today:

4 miles 32.51.

7.46, 8.24, 8.41, 8.01

Not the most evenly paced run.

Feeling a bit better but still a bit bunged up with low energy levels. Not a bad run though. Overall this wasn't the best weeks running but I still managed to get all of my plan in so thats a positive.

• Advertisement

Today:

2.6 mile run in 20.18.

Made a complete balls of this. Meant to be 3 miles out n back but despite the garmin I messed it up. Was going well too. Typical.

yes I could have went longer but im starving so thats that.

Today:

3miles in 24.38.

Crazy wind. Very difficult conditions.

Tonight:

7 miles in 58.54. Proppa well good innit!!

Today:

3 miles 26.35. Recovery run around dublin city centre. Nice to have a nose around but traffic lights and crossing rounds can be very annoying. As are people! !

Today:

3 miles in 22.16. Pace 7.22.

Another training pb. I think im capable of faster even at current fitness levels. im just not comfortable being uncomfortable yet!

Tonight:

8x 400 metres with 2 min recovery between each.

1.23, 1.29, 1.29, 1.33, 1.34, 1.36, 1.31, 1.33,

Pretty tough around the middle but enjoyable over all. The intervals and running faster are still a novelty.

This morning:

3 mile recovery 25.36. Pace 8.37.

Tired legs. Not used to running straight out of bed so thats a factor too.

Bright and early:

8 miles in 1.06. Average pace 8.20.

Good run. Happy with the pace. Longest run in years and st a good pace for me . Ran out to the lighthouse at sandymount. Bit chilly but nice day for it.

Bit of a dodgy stomach at about 5 miles. I had a lot of crap food and fizzy drinks yesterday. Obviously the cause.

From Monday im giving up fizzy drinks. I'm an addict! !! A can of coke is like heroin. Gotta dry out before I burst in an explosion of toxic gases.

Tonight:

3 miles in 22.33.

Felt good tonight. Just got in before the rain too. I had planned to do this before work but essentially im lazy. Done and dusted anyway.

• Advertisement

Tonight:

8 x 400 metres with 2 minutes recovery.

1.28, 1.25, 1.26, 1.30, 1.30, 1.33, 1.31, 1.34,

On the walk home from work I was really contemplating skipping running tonight. Tired, hungry and not in the mood. But luckily I talked myself around.

Intervals are still a big struggle for me. All the more reason not to skip them really!

Advertisement