Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go Forward in Reverse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Damn it, those marathon stories in peoples logs are killing me. I cant wait to run Dublin again and get a time im happy with.

Maybe that should be what I think about on all the days I make up excuses not to run. Consistency is key!

Congrats to all who ran anyway. 26.2 miles is never a joke!

Today:

30 minute run. Nice pace.

2 sets of 10 sprints up steps. Steep set of maybe 25 steps.

15 minute run.

Time to retire the log. Will hopefully start a new one soon. This one has ran its course.

From not being able to run for ten minutes to running a marathon and completing Gaelforce West, it wasnt the worst log but theres plenty of room for improvement for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭centre back

all the best lahaine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

'Twas a great read. :) Looking forward to the next one! :cool:

• Advertisement

I must be insane, but ive decided to run another marathon. Ive had a different training log since I came to Oz but its been a failure really so im returning to the scene of some former glory!!

At the moment im doing my regional work in Australia so im in a small town in the middle of nowhere. I currently have no runners and believe it or not theres nowhere to buy any here. However I will be going away for my birthday in about ten days and will be buying some then hopefully. Until then I cant run. Ive tried some barefoot running but its too much too soon. From what ive read barefoot running has to be eased into!!

Hopefully the marathon I will be running will be Dublin again in October. The scene of my demise in 2011. I have to make sure I have enough money for flights home etc before actually signing up but its the one I want to do, no doubt about that.

The following is a list of the mileage I ran in 2011, I also did a lot of cycling as I completed Gaelforce west in August. I followed the Hal Higdon Novice 1 training plan.

January 2011 5.37
    February 2011 37.47
    March 2011 24.41
    April 2011 51.59
    May 2011 82.46
    June 2011 83.20
    July 2011 99.20
    August 2011 75.10
    September 2011 107.11
    October 2011 71.25

PBs:

5k 22.49
    10k 48.44
    10 mile 1.22
    Half Marathon 1.48.50
    Marathon 4.39

From looking at my training and my pbs I think 4.39 was very soft for the marathon. I was looking to go sub 4. I've thought long and hard about what went wrong. I think doing Gaelforce West with the marathon in one year was too much for me. My mileage in August really wasn't enough. Also I probably didn't run enough. As much as we are told to build up slowly to avoid injury etc I think I should have just ran more. Im a young healthy guy, there's no reason why I shouldn't be pushing my self. Looking back my LSRs didn't go very well, I had a couple of good ones but overall they were a struggle. I also think I didn't have a good enough hydration and nutrition plan on the day. I drank when I felt like it. I think a plan is a much better idea. Also I think I could have been lighter. I was about 12.5 stone running the marathon. Im about 5 feet 9 so I think im on the heavy side, even though I had lost some weight.

So this time around im going to run a lot more miles. I have acquired a training plan which is a lot more difficult than Hal Higdon and I am looking forward to the challenge. If it goes tits up then so be it. I was so disappointed after Dublin 2011. Im determined not to feel like that again.

I have an 18 week plan starting on the 24th June. By that point I want to be up to running 30 miles plus per week. That will put me in a decent starting position.

For now we wont talk about times, I'm concentrating on getting the training in (once I have runners).

As regards this ramble, the log has worked for me in the past, I enjoy seeing my progress and you cant cheat yourself when you write or type it all down. So this is going to be my 100% honest diary. Id love some opinions along the way too. All criticism will be taken on board.

After all this, I wont even be logging any runs for another 2 weeks or so. But mentally I feel like its begun!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ronan1986

I might follow your plan.

I think im finally ready to take the Marathon Plunge this year.

So far this year, this has been my estimated distances:

Jan - 30km
    Feb - 50km
    March - 80km
    April - 40km (Was on holiday)
    May - 18km (so far)

PB's -
    5km: 22:30
    10km: 48:00

Haven't gone over 11km yet, and wasn't timing it at the time. Have only ran 10km or more 5 or 6 times this year, so not great. Looking to get back into the swing properly as the holiday in April ****ed me up in terms of progression.

Out of interest, what was your Gaelforce time?
    I did the gaelforce in 2010 on a **** bike and with very limited training and nutritional knowledge and did it in 6hrs 42 or something like that. Hit the wall just before Croagh Patrick, not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Feel free to join the Dublin novices thread.....lots of advice and support will make the marathon training and DCM so much easier ;)

ronan1986 wrote: »
    I might follow your plan.

I think im finally ready to take the Marathon Plunge this year.

So far this year, this has been my estimated distances:

Jan - 30km
    Feb - 50km
    March - 80km
    April - 40km (Was on holiday)
    May - 18km (so far)

PB's -
    5km: 22:30
    10km: 48:00

Haven't gone over 11km yet, and wasn't timing it at the time. Have only ran 10km or more 5 or 6 times this year, so not great. Looking to get back into the swing properly as the holiday in April ****ed me up in terms of progression.

Out of interest, what was your Gaelforce time?
    I did the gaelforce in 2010 on a **** bike and with very limited training and nutritional knowledge and did it in 6hrs 42 or something like that. Hit the wall just before Croagh Patrick, not good.

Gaelforce time was about 5.30 as far as i remember!

Feel free to join the Dublin novices thread.....lots of advice and support will make the marathon training and DCM so much easier ;)

Cheers! Dont worry ive read those threads for past few years. Not a huge contributor but ill try when my training starts! Any excuse to chat about it all

• Advertisement

Today:

5km run 26.14. Back to running at last. Slow and hard work. But thats to be expected. Rome wasnt built in a day.

First time out in my new runners. Brooks Ghost 5 was the choice in the end. Initial thoughts are all good. Feel comfy and had no problems.

Great to begin at last

Today:

5k in 26.32. Strange, i felt it was a faster pace than monday but obviously not. Working 10 hour days since monday with a lit of bending over. Knackered! Damn regional work

Today:

5km in 24.42. Plodding along...

Today:

1.5km to football pitch

10 stair runs, up across and down seating block, couple of mins rest, another 10 runs.

1.5km run back. 15.46 mins for the 3k. No way of tracking the rest. Good hard session though

Today:

5km in 27.30 - abysmal.

So I then did 10 sprints across a football pitch. 70 metres each. Felt a bit better after that.

Strange how I can feel knackered just doing 5k yet I can do full on sprints after and be fine for them. Maybe its all in my head?!

Today:

5k in 24.40. Felt a bit better...

Today:

5k run in 24.21. Shattered after work. 10 hour days followed by run arent optimal

Today:

8km in 45.19.

Delighted with that. Really hilly route so the time doesnt tell the whole story. Tough, tough run and i really dug in.

Time to get back on the roads.

Ive been weightlifting a lot for the past couple of months but very little running. I ran 5k on Saturday and it took me 28 minutes. I use the word "run" loosely.

Time to put the head down and get back into it.

Short term goal- get 5k time back under 25 at the very least. Followed by participating in a ParkRun.

We'll work from there...

Today:

700 metre jog warm up.

5 x 400 metre intervals with 1 minute rest. Pace was basically as fast as I could go. Hard to judge as ive never done these before. tough session even if quite short

• Advertisement

Today:

5km on treadmill. 22.38. A bit more encouraging.

When I did the intervals Wednesday I also trained my legs after in gym so had a rest day for legs yesterday.

I did chest work yesterday and back work today in the gym.

Early start tomorrow to go see Parkrun hopefully. Starts at 7am!

Saturday

Went to my first Parkrun. Brisbane Southbank. Lovely area. Big crowd doing it too. Over 400. Always inspiring seeing people bust a gut sprinting for finish line. Hopefully ill be doing it in a few weeks.

Gym - shoulders.

Sunday

Sweet FA. Which was fine. Except I ate really badly all weekend. which made me feel crap.

Today

Gym - arms

Treadmill

Gave up after about a km. HATE the treadmill. forced myself to make it up to 20 minuted fast walking at incline 6. followed by ten k on exercise bike in 24 mins.

Treadmill is clearly not my thing so need to avoid and plan runs outside.

Fingers crossed for marathoner runners today. Hopefully get lucky with the weather.

All the marathon talk gets me so enthusiastic and excited about running.

Then I run!

A sweaty hot 3km in 15.01.

Phewwwww

Yesterday

After run - gym for legs. Culminating in 120kg squat. Legs getting back to decent strength. Could go heavier but concentrating on depth.

Today

Gym. Chest

Followed by 11.5km on bike. Legs were a bit tired from yesterday so relegated to stationary bike.

Today

Gym. All about the back. Hitting 5x5 pull ups regularly which is great as a few months ago I couldnt do one. Back strength improving. hopefull will help running posture too.

Run tomorrow.

Yeah...run didnt happen. Waiting all day for a call about a job. Ended up having to call recruitment company. To be told she forgot to call me. Didn't get it.

Fairly gutted and was planning on takeaway and beer but decided to cop on. So had a couple of nice beef burgers with some pumpkin and sweet potato.

Its funny how much I comfort eat! Usually when im tired or pissed off.

Time to break the habit. Long run in the morning.

Ramble over

This morning:

10km in 54.10.

Left at 8am but still suffered with the heat. Delighted to get the distance done. Obviously not very fast but thats the furthest ive ran in a long long time. Legs are feeling sore but I walked 1km at the end to cool down which helped a bit.

Lovely run along Brisbane river. Nice way to start the day.

Today

Gym- Arms.

Followed by 11.5km km on bike in about 25 mins. Then 1km walk cool down on treadmill. Surprised my legs seemed ok today.

Today

3km run 16.50.

Then gym for legs and abs. Running before a legs session isn't the best idea ive ever had.

• Advertisement

Today:

Garmin issues. Lost satellite reception and watch stopped a few times while running. Not sure why as was running in wide open area. Annoying.

So. ..guesswork really. But I think it was about 5k in 24 mins.

Advertisement