Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone else sick of those wheelchair wan ads?

Options
12346»

Comments

markesmith wrote: »
    Was at a house party the other night, great crack but we were working off YouTube videos for the music.

Had to put up with that ad at least a dozen times - bit of a buzz killer.

From a marketing point of view, transplanting traditional 'interruption' advertising (TV and radio ad breaks, stuff that distracts you from watching the programme) to the Internet doesn't really work.

Look up grooveshark. It's like a streaming music library. Happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Julesie wrote: »
    I'm still not entirely sure on the point of the advert. It doesn't tell us how the accident happened, if she was at fault, what we might be able to do differently to avoid her fate.

Other than "car accidents can have terrible consequences", I just don't know what I'm meant to take from the advert.

+1. There's another too with a middle aged woman talking about her son who died...the general point of the ad seems to be "I'm really sad my son died" rather than "this is how my son died, I want to make people aware of this so as to prevent further needless loss of life," so it's a very strange ad altogether.

All those ads have no effect on me now. I've just become immune. Probably because one of the drink driving ones used to terrify me as a kid and once I got over that...it's just over exposure, over saturation. I know the type of young person that I suppose the ads are aimed at; young, likely to speed, to show off in their cars. I know some of them who lost friends because of the way they were driving and yet continue to drive dangerously themselves. The ads are definitely nowhere near as effective as I assume they're supposed to be. Even when they're on tv, most people I know skip 'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 thecool

Amanda Brunkers sofa collection tv add.

NOWORDS.:rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

+1. There's another too with a middle aged woman talking about her son who died...the general point of the ad seems to be "I'm really sad my son died" rather than "this is how my son died, I want to make people aware of this so as to prevent further needless loss of life," so it's a very strange ad altogether.

+1, I can't understand that ad at all. My heart broke for her as she described what she went through (I've had to identify a family member in a mortuary, I knew exactly what she experienced) but the fact is that he was out for a few drinks and stumbled in front of a vehicle and was knocked down. I'm not going to speculate over who was at fault but it sounds to me more like a tragic accident rather than something that happens frequently and needs to be stamped out. I was genuinely stumped by that ad, I struggled to grasp exactly what message they were trying to get across. "Don't walk out off the footpath if you've had a few drinks"? "Avoid driving in the proximity of pubs/nightclubs in case you knock someone down"? :confused::confused:

I'm not trying to stir shít, if anyone can explain what it is I'm missing from this ad I'd be grateful!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭amacca

thecool wrote: »
    Amanda Brunkers sofa collection tv add.

NOWORDS.:rolleyes:

Theres a thread for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Tell you what I'm sick of- that little shit down the bottom right hand of the screen pretending to be my kid and asking me to quit smoking. It's just encouraging to me take up smoking...

... and ram my nuts against the wall so I never have the opportunity to have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭amacca

Lumen wrote: »
    That doesn't work either. The UK is blanketed with speed cameras (at huge expense), and people still die.

The technology to effectively prevent speeding exists already, and is in use. Black boxes, which report back to the insurance company when the limit is broken. Fit the box, reduce the premium.

Given the ruinous insurance costs in Ireland, particularly for young male drivers, you'd think that these would be in widespread use. They're not. Why? Insurers are the world's experts on actuarial risk, and operate in a hugely competitive marketplace. There is no information problem. If speed relative to the posted limits was a major factor in accident risk or severity, then these devices would be ubiquitous.

I would argue that the punishment isn't harsh enough to act as a deterrant then.

but I am prepared to accept that as this is my firmly held belief it could of course be flawed.

I just think that if people knew that there would be severe consequences for dangerous driving or causing an accident, driving without a license etc with no ifs, ands, buts or maybes then word would get around to take proper care and attention while driving much more effectively than the RSA is trying to spread this message. (sometimes I think they are not trying to spread this message - most of the time I think their message is "look, look at us, were here, doing that thing you asked us to do, look, look, fffs look were here etc etc right they will definitely see we are doing something if we make an add about young men prematurely ejaculating and link it to going too fast or we make an add where a young girl gets scissored against a wall by her boy racer boyfriend - yes that should justify our existence)

Im not for blanketing the country in cameras either - but I do think those mobile vans are effective.....encountered one the other day, thankfully wasnt over the speed limit but it made me nervous - took even more care.

1 second glimpse of that made me modify my driving more than what seems like a lifetime of slow motion shots of twisted metal and ruined lives but maybe thats just me.

what I'm really saying is, hammer people properly when they are found to be properly in the wrong at an accident that causes a fatality or serious injury - no license, no way of getting a license for years even if they need it for a job - make the penalty something they don't want to encounter and stick to it.

And then accept without hysteria that there will always be accidents no matter what you do...many of the accidents might be preventable but not all - what is the death toll per head of driving population in a country considered to have the best training/enforcement and road safety awareness?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i think the point of the advert is the blanket opinion that they think most people drive too fast and they are trying to show people what the results of this can be, i.e. death for some and pain & suffering for others.

a great (and imho much more effective) example of this is the link in my sig: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056010483

there's one with a woman talking about her dead son or husband (not sure which) saying that this man that she was so fond of isn't coming home and it really didn't sound like she was all that bothered at all.

also, why are these popping up for people on youtube? i watch loads of stuff on youtube and have never had any of these adverts pop up at all. I do get them when watching 4OD tho, usually followed by an ad for the secret millionaire with the first scene being some guy tearing up the tarmac in a convertible lamborghini with a big grin on his face which always strikes me as ironic. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

vibe666 wrote: »
    I do get them when watching 4OD tho, usually followed by an ad for the secret millionaire with the first scene being some guy tearing up the tarmac in a convertible lamborghini with a big grin on his face which always strikes me as ironic. :D
    OT but yeah, I can quote that ad, and the F Word and Peep Show ones word for word, because they've been the same for like the last year and a half. So annoying...

Advertisement