Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning to accept your body.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Unreg-girl wrote: »
    I'd rather have my small perky ones than a pair of huge honkers that hung down to my navel when I took my bra off.

Indeed she is right but this is a thread on body acceptance. The phrasing of the comment above is of no help to women who might be concious of their own sagging boobs. Boobs do indeed sag but so can small ones and once you hit 25? My boobs are not massive, they´re Ds but they´re still in the right place and I´m 30 (and a half).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

My breasts are DD/E and I'm 32 and they're holding up extremely well, no droopage down to my stomach when bra-less, no stretch-marks.
    Unreg-girl wrote: »
    After a woman hits her mid-20's, they start to head south
    Oh really? Where did you get that figure from?
    In fairness, she is right.
    Right about what? And the bit at the end about every woman being different, after the tirade of disparaging comments, just seems ironic rather than having an acceptance message. You can extoll something's virtues without resorting to bringing down something else's. That poster is right that a lot of women's breasts do sag after a certain point, but no, they don't all, so that tactic of using others to feel better about oneself is moot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Dudess wrote: »
    Right about what? And the bit at the end about every woman being different, after the tirade of disparaging comments, just seems ironic rather than having an acceptance message. You can extoll something's virtues without resorting to bringing down something else's. That poster is right that a lot of women's breasts do sag after a certain point, but no, they don't all, so that tactic of using others to feel better about oneself is moot.

About every woman being different and the OP needs to embrace that. I detailed that about a sentence later but the connection may not have been clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

bodywoes wrote: »
    Would prefer to go unreg for this.
    I'm a 34A cup and quite slim, because I'm so small in the boob department I've always felt very unfeminine but now its got to the point where I hate my whole body.

I'm obsessed, feel very inadequate and repulsed by myself.

So does anyone have any tips on just accepting yourself the way you are?

I'd never get a boob job and I do exercise so I don't know what else I can do.

Every girl has something they dislike about themselves, for me it's my boobs too I wish they could be bigger but hey padding works wonders for me! ;) I was once told anything more than a handful is a waste and although it was a funny way of looking at it, its true, no saggy boobies for me, although I would love to be able to wear a top without a bra or buy lovely bras without them being WAYYY too big for me! :(:mad:

My stomach could be more toned etc but I love treats (chocolate, burger king, fizzy drinks, sweets you name it) and dislike exercise :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

About every woman being different and the OP needs to embrace that. I detailed that about a sentence later but the connection may not have been clear.

In fairness now, you don´t just insult someone about their "sagging honkers that fall around their naval" and follow your comments afterwards with "Oh well.....everyone is different...we should embrace that!". It kind of takes away from the sentiment a little, don´t you think?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

I don't think I'm pretty enough... I hate my nose and chin. I hated my teeth so I got veneers and I like them now. But when I smile my nose droops so that's just another thing to worry about.

I felt so fat in pictures.. well I was fat. 10 stone on a 5 foot frame. Eugh... Everything looked bad on me. I hated seeing myself in pictures beside my friend who is like a pixie in comparison and could be a model if it wasn't for her height. She's my height and was about 3 stone lighter :(

I've lost 2 stone. I feel... like I'm still fat where I don't want to be because the weight came off so evenly. My legs were slim, now they're slimmer. My ass is still flat and small. My arms still carry fat, my stomach is still bigger in comparison. I just want to be like TV slim. Athletic. I was fit and toned looking, from boxing...I was proud of my muscles and flexibility. Had to give it up for college/ work. Now I'm what they call "skinny fat".

My boobs were 34 F. Now I'm 28 E. So I lost 6 inches. But now they're saggy because the skin hasn't shrunk with the weight loss.

Christ, I wish I had a magic wand and I would change everything except my eyes. They're nice.

This post makes me sooo sad. First you need to stop making comparisions with friends & whats on the television. I would put money on it that the only one who notices anything wrong with your nose & your chin is you & as for nose droppong when you smile, I'm not even sure thats possible.

We are our own worst critics & need to stop being so critical about our own bodies. Many of the flaws we focus on are not even noticed by others. I'm not perfect, and don't believe any of us are & if we all had the exact same shape/figure it'd make for a pretty boring world.

Influence (thru healthy eating & normal excercise) what you can change if you feel the need to and accept what you cannot change. Accept the way you are and dress to flatter it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Apologies if my comments upset anyone. It wasn't my intention to insult or offend. My point was that big breasts are not the end all and be all they are sometimes made out to be. Women with large chests have their own issues to deal with, like sagging, back pain, having trouble finding clothes, leering stares from men. To the large-chested women posting here who are in their thirties and don't have sagging breasts, that's great for you, but many D-cup and over women aren't so lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    In fairness now, you don´t just insult someone about their "sagging honkers that fall around their naval" and follow your comments afterwards with "Oh well.....everyone is different...we should embrace that!". It kind of takes away from the sentiment a little, don´t you think?

Well, i guess if some woman has sagging honkers that fall around her navel and feels bad about that, she is well within her right to feel a bit put out by that. If she then wants to figure out if she is getting upset because of her body or because of outside influences, she might find something in a thread on learning to accept yourself and how difficult that can be for people.

Until then all i'm seeing is people getting pissed off by proxy, which is an internet special and not much can be done about it in fairness.

To be honest with ya, i've spent that last 4 days watching 96 episodes of My Name is Earl ( I'm ill ), so right now i am seeing the good in stuff. Give me two days for that to wear off and i'll be back to my usual grumpy self. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

I do think the above comments were a bit overboard.
    It's one thing to let the OP know that having small breasts is a good thing, but to do it while completely knocking the other side of the scale isn't the way to go.

I'd love small breasts. I'd love to wear tops without feeling like I'm 'showing' loads. I'd love to wear vests in summer or backless tops without a bra.
    But sometimes I quite like having bigger breasts. I like filling out certain tops/dresses. Although a little on the large side for my liking, I have the traditional hourglass figure. I love having breasts to balance out my hips.
    TBH, I think most people only look at the advantages of the opposite rather than their own advantages. There's good and bad for both so I doubt most people will be 100% happy.
    Do your best to accept what you have and if you can't then do your best to change it if you want.

And for what it's worth, small breasts sag just as much as large breasts. Lifestyle and good genetics will determine where your breasts are, not cup size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

OP you sound like a gorgeous little thing, but what we all think is irrelevant - just know this: how you feel about your exterior is directly related to how you feel about yourself on the inside.

I've been slightly overweight, slightly underweight, taut and toned and slightly out of shape and for the longest time, 'average weight'...with everything from a B to a DD cup, and at none of those stages did I ever reach an 'ah OK, I'm happy with this, I can live with this' stage...because I became completely dependent on that negative voice in my head telling me that it wasn't 'good enough'.

It becomes almost comfortable and validating in its familiarity and its ability to distract after a while and I know I'm not alone, from talking to friends I know that it's a bit of a female epidemic. I swear to God, some of the things we tell ourselves and think about ourselves as women are so bang out of order, if there was such a thing as Thought Police we'd all be arrested and locked up for bullying the crap out of ourselves!!

There comes a time when you have to either accept that you'll spend the rest of your life feeling inadequate, taunting yourself every time you look in the mirror, or you have the courage to look yourself square in the eye and claim ownership over those physical features that make you uniquely you, that won't ever match up to those idealised dime-a-dozen celebrity (airbrushed) prototypes that invariably have a short shelf-life anyway because it's such an utterly unsustainable look in the long run.

Learn to like yourself, that's the first step. Berating yourself is the easy way out, it doesn't demand any critical thinking or self-consideration, all you have to do is pick up a magazine or compare yourself to the 'hottest' woman in any room and bingo, you feel about two feet tall. Be bigger than that. Be patient with yourself and start small - one feature and one characteristic at a time. But don't settle for self-taunting and the constant comparisons and denial of your true self and all that comes with it. It's a prison of an existence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I can't really speak for anyone but myself but I've found my own body issues are really just expressions of other crap going on in my life. When things are going well, I like the way I look, but when stuff starts to go badly I can't find anything I like about myself, so I swing between those two opposites. Then I dress the way I feel, look even worse and it generally escalates from there. Looking at the rest of your life and seeing are there other bigger factors at play might be a first step.

The other thing to recognize is that beauty and attractiveness are subjective and most of the things I'd find really attractive aren't things that would generally be considered sexy (I really like necks and skin more than I really like what someones boobs are like tbh). I then have a lot of friends that have literally no boobs at all and they look amazing, they'd look bizarre with a big chest. Same goes for other girls who would be bigger. Personally what I think you should do is head to Topshop/Debenhams/New Look and do one of those personal shopper things. The wrong clothes make everything so much more difficult.

Advertisement