Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Ireland Pre-Pay Mobile Broadband Dongle: €9 (out of stock online, try instore)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Thanks op. They're really expensive for data add-ons though. I'd rather if it was €10 for 1gb no-time-limit data as I will only use it very rarely (i.e., a weekend at a time) when I am away on holidays where meteor don't have coverage.

Will probably try unlock it after the 1gb is gone and use a vodafone sim.

I use a vodafone dongle (came unlocked) with a standard 3pay phone sim (i.e. not mobile broadband sim) and just buy the €5 internet add on when travelling, it's only 500Mb download limit but that's fine for normal browsing, checking email etc. I also use the sim in an INQ mini and connect via bluetooth so if reception is bad I can place the phone in the window with the best reception.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Do-more wrote: »
    I use a vodafone dongle (came unlocked) with a standard 3pay phone sim (i.e. not mobile broadband sim) and just buy the €5 internet add on when travelling, it's only 500Mb download limit but that's fine for normal browsing, checking email etc. I also use the sim in an INQ mini and connect via bluetooth so if reception is bad I can place the phone in the window with the best reception.
    I had forgotten that 3 are cheaper for 3pay internet then they are for mobile "broadband". That €5 covers you for a month, right?

For mobile broadband, outside a package, 3 are 99c/Mb whereas vodafone are 19c/Mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭Nollog

bethrifty wrote:
    Amount Cashback Status
    Date € Store Tracked Confirmed Paid Declined Total
    30/12/2010 10.35 3 Mobile Ireland 11.81 11.81
    Charged 9 euro, not sure where they got 10.35.
    Interesting to see if I get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Well I bought a €9.99 euro phone on vodafone recently with €12.50 cash back. Take a few days for the cash back to show up on bethrifty and then you have to wait till the the purchase is confirmed (30 days plus) and then get paid when the payment round comes around (every 2-4weeks)

that being said the 3 modem I bought this morning is showing up under "my earnings" on bethrifty already

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

Yep. Got 11.81 cashback too. Lovely. 2.81 profit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

Don't know why I bought one - just a desire to stick it to 3. (Pun intended)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭MjM

I just bought one of these, and two minutes later I got a call from a UK number, its three asking to confirm the order. I thought my bethrifty was caught!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

I bought one yesterday, got a missed call this morning from a uk number, phone rang once and they hung up. I googled the number and it came back to a thread on boards relating to 3 mobile. Anyway got a dispatched confirmation today for the dongle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

pissed wrote: »
    I bought one yesterday, got a missed call this morning from a uk number, phone rang once and they hung up. I googled the number and it came back to a thread on boards relating to 3 mobile. Anyway got a dispatched confirmation today for the dongle.
    Got an order confirmation last night off them and a dispatch confirmation today.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I got that call this morning at 7.55 AM
    I'm on christmas holidays ffs :eek:
    Got my confirmation e-mails today also :)

• Advertisement

didn't get any call from them but maybe because I gave a landline? did get the dispatch email an hour or so after ordering

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

This is now showing at €39. Got my own order in on time the other evening and cash back showing up on bethrifty

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

mmm
    let's see what happens now

Thanks for your recent order.
    Order Number:
    Device: Huawei E1550 (Black)
    Device cost: EUR 9.00
    Delivery charge: EUR 0.00
    Price plan: 3Pay

Unfortunately due to high levels of demand, this device is temporarily out of stock, so there will be a delay in dispatching it.

A customer service advisor will be in touch to confirm expected delivery date and to see if you would like to wait for this device to come back into stock or amend your order.

In the meantime if you require any further information please call 1800 330 333.

Thank you for choosing 3

Got mine delivered today, thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

If you follow the link in the OP then you'll get a 'product not found' message.

They have changed the mobile modem to Huawei E122 now. 39euro for it. I would have gone for the 9euro one tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Mine just got delivered :D

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Mine arrived this morning. Thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Despite getting an "out of stock" message earlier, I just got:
    Your order has been dispatched from our warehouse today and will be with you, at the delivery address you requested when placing your order, between 8am – 6pm tomorrow (Monday to Friday only).

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

Mine arrived today as well, thanks again. Does anybody know how to change the PIN? I just tried to do it (open 3connect -> Settings -> Manage your PIN). Default seems to be "No PIN", but when I try to set one it wants to know the current PIN. I can't find it anywhere though. It works as it is, but I would feel safer it I could lock it against unauthorised use...

1096989277.png

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Just checked my order status and Nightline says:
    Not Delivered 	DUBLIN 	04-Jan-2011 11:17 	 Residence - no one in on delivery attempt.

News to me, I was here all day... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

Just got mine.

1097041420.png

Hell of a lot better then my Vodafone at home internet which wont even load the speed test site!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

Got mine - 3 lousy 2G chez moi.
    Has anyone, eh, found a way to expand the usability of this device with, say, non 3 carriers ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

long_b wrote: »
    Has anyone, eh, found a way to expand the usability of this device with, say, non 3 carriers ? :)
    Suggested unlock codes earlier in this thread, can't confirm if they work or not though (I'd assume they do).

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭spannerism

Got mine delivered earlier today :-) Cheers to the OP and of course happy new year to all.

About the unlocking, this is what I don't understand. Once I unlock this, I can use any sim card but will I need to get that mobile phone networks (e.g 02 or vodafone) software to get the dongle working on another network? or is a question of just popping in the another sim card and it'll work.

Thanks

spannerism wrote: »
    Once I unlock this, I can use any sim card but will I need to get that mobile phone networks (e.g 02 or vodafone) software to get the dongle working on another network? or is a question of just popping in the another sim card and it'll work.
    It depends on what software the original provider has used, but I believe in this case it's simply an 'unlock and use'.

From glancing around on boards (very open to correction here, not an area I've any great knowledge in) it appears that the 3 modems come with generic software and will work fine with another sim. Edit: See following post

If I'm wrong and that isn't the case (or if you just fancy reading up a little more on it), this thread discusses the same issue but with a different modem (and on VF, who did software lock their modems) and the 'type' of steps you'd need to sort it.

I had to download the vodafone connection software to get it to connect

The drivers were installed with the 3 software on the device

Will be using the 3 sim though I think

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

These should still be in stock instore if someone wants one

The drivers were installed with the 3 software on the device
    Cheers for the update GT. The threads I'd seen were a little old, so I wasn't sure if it was still the case or not. Obviously it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭m4rkiz

if you want to get rid of that customized software from it and enable couple of other features visit this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

"Remember - your device can only be delivered to you in person and you will need to show the courier the payment card you used to place your order as proof of identity"
    Ordered 31, picked charged dispatched 4th

Well that is a bit difficult if I am at work. Why didnt they say that on the order form and I could have had it delivered there?
    And its Nightline delivery so I cant even collect from the post office.

Now what, did they really expect people to be waiting by the door Mon to Fri 8 to 6 ?

Advertisement