Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Year Resolutions

Options
  • 29-12-2010 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

So its that time of year again where we all plan things that realistically will never accomplish in 2011, but whats everyones new year resolutions: mine are:
    lose weight (like every other year)
    go out more and
    learn to swim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭RebeccaChick

Mine are;
    • Have more patience
    • Stop eating sugary foods
    • Stop wasting time reading celeb gossip
    • Work hard in college and in looking for a job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I'm hoping that I'll do some more exercise this year, I'm such a sucker for Burger king breakfasts before work (it doesn't help that they are SOOO cheap!) and if I keep it up it will catch up on me! Exercise will make me feel good and not be lazy.

I'm also hoping to save a little more this year and not be so frivolous with money!

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

Mine are

1.to lose weight
    2. try to give up the smokes
    3. to stop spending money on s**te

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Buy less clothes, in fact try and not buy any clothes/shoes/accessories for a month because I don't need them and I don't have the money for them and owning them doesn't make me any happier. If I do buy clothes, I'm going to shop more exclusively in charity shops and avoid the high street.

Go swimming more.

Drink more water.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

• Get a new job
    • Start going to the gym again (because I love it, and it was working!)
    • Take a proper holiday, for the first time ever
    • Read at least 50 books again this year
    • Move house!!!
    • Work out where I'm going with my life
    • Be more positive :)
    • Write more

That'll do for a start anyway. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

1) Finish my PhD
    2) Start (and finish) a 365 photo project (where you take 1 photo a day for the year, to document it)
    3) Try some new things that scare me a little. I'm in a rut and I hate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I dont plan on having any new year's resolutions. Life is to short not to enjoy the things that make you happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

- Learn to drive
    - Lose weight
    - Don't procrastinate so much with college work :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

-Get fit/lose weight; am starting 2011 injury free so it's all good:D
    -Manage my time better
    -Do stuff NOW, rather than later
    -Drive slower
    -Waste less
    -Buy less crap
    -Read more
    -Get into one of my hobbies again

I'd love to do a course of some sort too, but I just know that this year isn't the year for it, so I'll put that on my 2012 list:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

hondasam wrote: »
    I dont plan on having any new year's resolutions. Life is to short not to enjoy the things that make you happy.

I would've thought this was exactly the reason for making resolutions!! :confused:
    zoegh wrote: »
    2) Start (and finish) a 365 photo project (where you take 1 photo a day for the year, to document it)

I love this idea! Might do that myself :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

zoegh wrote: »

I tried that this year. Only managed about 160 of the days though. :( It is harder than it sounds!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

-Stop moaning so much
    -Be more positive and happy
    -Learn how to drive
    -Decide what I want to do with my life
    -Make a better effort with friends
    -Spend my time more productively
    -Be a lot nicer
    -Lose weight/ Get fit again
    -Take better control of situations

Tis a long list this year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Ms Fluorescent

Lose weight seems to be a common one. I am going to try go at least three times a week to the gym. It has to be done! :D

Also try be more positive and relaxed. Last year was bit stressful. Oh and go travelling and meet new people!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

dearg lady wrote: »
    I would've thought this was exactly the reason for making resolutions!! :confused:

No I do not intend to deprieve myself of anything I want just because it's a new year. I intend to live my life to the fullest next year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

hondasam wrote: »
    No I do not intend to deprieve myself of anything I want just because it's a new year. I intend to live my life to the fullest next year. :)

Resolutions need not have anything to do with depriving yourself. One of mine is to learn to drive. That's not depriving myself, and it will help me to live my life to the fullest..

Even if some resolutions do involve depriving oneself, it doesn't mean it's a bad thing. People can live life to the fullest while still making sure to eat a healthy diet, for instance. They might even live a longer life as a result as well ;)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

- Move house (this will happen sooner rather than later)
    - Learn to drive (I've been putting this off for too long)
    - Be more consistent with my running
    - Clean up my diet (it's gone to hell this month with the bad weather and Christmas)
    - Keep a tighter leash on my finances, and don't waste too much money on stupid things

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

- finally go back home
    - eat healthier
    - ...maybe....try for baby....maybe...
    - spend time with my brother
    - try to be less resentful

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

Having breakfast earlier that 14.30 as I'm doing these days :(

Stop buying dresses I know I'll never wear but buy them anyway because I've convinced myself that they'll be worn one day

Play my harp more

Buy a pet

Get a job

Learn a new language

Gain half a stone or so...

Should be managable, I think.....:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Mercy Seat

Oh man... I'm not sure about New Year Resolutions this year... But, I am at a point where I am attempting to steer my life in a whole new direction.

* I'm going to do lots of learning this year. I anticipate a lot more reading, but have applied for a degree course I feel quite passionate about. If I don't get accepted (not entirely implausible), I plan to do a night course in sewing and dressmaking and start making my own clothes.
    * Be more aware and consistent with certain beliefs of mine. I am quite interested in animal rights and am vegetarian, and have dramatically reduced my dairy and egg intake, but would like to completely cut them from my diet. As well, I want to stop spending money on things I don't support, even if they create products I like, while spending more time and effort around things I do. (e.g., not spending money on chips from McDonalds, new clothes, especially cheap ones, and supporting more fair trade products, and bands I'm into).
    * Start learning to drive. Learn the rules of the road and at least get my learner's licence. I don't have to be able to make it go, just to have gotten that far.
    * Spend more time doing what I want in life - books, sports, painting - creating things, exercise and nature. Hopefully shall be moving into a new flat by myself when my lease is up, and am looking very forward to living by myself with no television or internet. Much more productive me.
    * Take things one day at a time. Remember what I know now - life is good. Peace and harmony with the world are easy to find if I can remember where to look, no matter what the changes are, keep holding on to the fact that right now, after all the shit of the last year, I'm feeling so content with life, and know I'm moving in the right direction. I just need to remember that when things get tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 lour26

Looking forward to the start of the new year, feeling very positive so want to write my resolutions down

• start running again (got lazy for a few months) and would like to run a half marathon
    • lose the few pound that I need to get rid of (running shall help)
    • pass college
    • move out of home
    • keep positive
    • look after myself more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭jenny4385

forgot one..
    overcome my fear of enclosed spaces and hopefully get on a plane / ferry and leave ireland for a well deserved holiday somewhere warm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Think I might have posted on a thread like this already in TLL but I'm bored so here goes...

- Get stuck into the Spanish (language...not the people ;-) )

- Less blaming and more taking responsibility for my actions.

- Ask a man out soberly.

- Get over my phone phobia (TERRIFIED of the phone)

- Lay off the coffee...makes me too anxious

- Continue to stay off the smokes

- Stop taking responsibility for my housemate's lack of responsibility (did her a favour and lent her the money to pay her rent for this month and I'm not sure if she'll pay me back on time to pay my rent next month..or at all)

- Stop being a typical ex-pat giving out about the locals when things don't go my way.

- Volunteer

- Less procrastination more action.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I have copied and pasted from TTC here, hope that's okay!

1. LISTEN more. In my profession, I listen to adults and children all day, and reflect on out conversation, and as weird as it sounds, when I get home, I don't always listen to those around me. And I hate that. So I am going to listen more.

2. Keep a journal. Used to be deadly at it, and then just stopped. I am picking up once again, once I find a nice pretty one! I need it to take care of myself, it helps.

3. Get making and posting cards etc. I am pretty good at remembering birthdays/anniversaries/engagements etc, but by text/email only, so this year I will, in advance, post a card and maybe a small home made gift.

4. Get fit. I am lazy, no bones about it. I have a gym membership for the past three months and haven't gone. A shame.

5. Be thankful. I am healthy, have a good job, a good family, good friends and a wonderful boyfriend.

6. I actually am going to consider something like what Zoegh has suggested regarding a project of some sort...365 photos, or something...I gotta get my thinking cap on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭DancingDaisy

I've put a fair bit of thought into it, and here is what I have come up with:
    1. Listen to more new music. I tend to get stuck in a rut with music and I want to change that.
    2. Get writing again, 2010 has been my worst year ever for writing, but I have more free time now, and I should start using it productively.
    3. Start walking more, I'm back up in the City Centre now, and I don't go for wanders half enough.
    4. Cook more. I love cooking for people, and it means I'll be eating far more healthily.

- Get out of my comfort zone more. Do stuff I normally wouldn't.
    - Be more willing to do stuff with friends, they're amazing people. I'm glad I have them
    - Swim more, exercise more
    - Finish college, leave Galway, get a proper job.
    - Be more active, take up a new hobby, spend less time at the house
    - Relax more, don't let things get to me
    - Meet a girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

• Lose weight.
    • Study/keep on top of college things.
    • Stop biting my nails!!
    • Write more.
    • Go for things even if it's unlikely that I'll get them. Get involved in more debating, mooting, writing for publications, etc, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sexydancer

More exercise:(

offaly1 wrote: »
    Mine are

1.to lose weight
    2. try to give up the smokes
    3. to stop spending money on s**te

to add another resolution ... 4. to meet a man worthy of me;) (not the end of the world though!)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

2011 is an exciting year for me. I'll be finishing college and moving on to something new (hopefully a job, maybe a masters). So I'm making this year all about me: Achieving my goals and putting myself in the best possible position in life.

- I will start going to the gym and get fit and toned again

- I will apply all over the UK for jobs and MScs to see where life takes me

- I will finally get my ex out of my head

- I will continue on my journey of self-exploration

The gist is, I will move on. I'm going to be a new shiny, happy person this year :)

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    2011 is an exciting year for me. I'll be finishing college and moving on to something new (hopefully a job, maybe a masters). So I'm making this year all about me: Achieving my goals and putting myself in the best possible position in life.

- I will start going to the gym and get fit and toned again

- I will apply all over the UK for jobs and MScs to see where life takes me

- I will finally get my ex out of my head

- I will continue on my journey of self-exploration

The gist is, I will move on. I'm going to be a new shiny, happy person this year :)

Go you faith! best of luck....:-)

Advertisement