Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funderland - Do or Don't

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

A few years ago when I was there last, a good few years ago now there was a group of scobes throwing ice creams onto the magic carpet as it swung down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Biggins wrote: »
    I was referring to travelling set-ups besides fixed ones.
    I was not trying to be patronising - and apologise of I came across that way. I'm mean it genuinely when I say I hope you get the chance to see other types of setups elsewhere. Its an eye opener.

Price is only one aspect amid others I mentioned.

If you want examples of setups, try around Rockledge in Florida, numerous small fixed and moving set-ups around southern Spain and France alone.
    And thats beside the many that exist across Europe and in the States.

P.S. I assume indeed that you have travelled. I guessing only that you have just not had the opportunity to be able to do a comparison in relation to Funderland type set-ups.

Any amusment attractions i have seen setup at other events so say new years eve in Edinburgh or music festivals in Holland and Germany have been of a similiar standard or lesser to Funderland.

I think we can all admit that a travelling amusment park cannot compete with a fixed location one, I think we can also admit that a fixed location one in ireland probably woudnt draw in the revenue required to work.
    So all we have is funderland and for what it is as a travelling amusment park I dont think its that bad considering others i have seen in europe.

Im still open to being proven wrong but I would like some specific setup so I can compare myself rather than just your say so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

GusherING wrote: »
    I was in Hyde Park in London recently and they had a really good funfair that was largely imported from Germany. I thought Funderland could learn a few things from it, like:

stop the techno music and play Christmas music instead

offer more than just burger and chips as food. Hyde Park had bratwursts, mulled wine etc.
    Charge free entry
    Make it small child friendly
    :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Im still open to being proven wrong but I would like some specific setup so I can compare myself rather than just your say so.
    Specific set-ups require fixed locations, some the best I have found are in Southern Florida on a relativity fixed circuits or or in Europe you should look around Nice/Cannes in Southern France for similar types of set-ups.

More permanent fixed building ones of course are the obvious famous ones but again for example, even in Nice (well just 5km out side it) there is similar smaller scales ones that are far better setup's than our own fixed ones, the few we have.
    Examples found here of the usual fixed American ones: http://www.floridaholidayreview.com/amuse.htm
    Europe: http://www.worldisround.com/browse/WesternEurope/AttractionsAmusements/AmusementThemeParks/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

RobbietheRobber must be affiliated with Funderland. I've never seen anyone put so much effort into standing up for such a smelly sh*thole of a place.
    Alton towers at £40 sterling admission its not exactly cheap though is it.

No - Alton Towers is £30.40 when you book online, and that allows you free rides all day. Funderland is €20 for 3hrs ride time (that's €60 for 9hrs of ride time, which is the equivalent of 1 full day in Alton Towers). Total rip off when compared, and considering the quality of the rides too it's actually disgraceful. I'd be embarrassed to try & justify the price difference.

So 9 hrs of ride time in Alton Towers is £30 (€35) and 9 hrs in Funderland is €60. Yeah, way to pwn me with your little price comparison there.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

RobbietheRobber must be affiliated with Funderland. I've never seen anyone put so much effort into standing up for such a smelly sh*thole of a place.

Indeed brother, whatever makes you feel happy.
    I just offered reasonable arguments for Funderland as oppossed to other posters who just suggested things like,
    • tracksuits in socks
    • knackers
    • carnies
    • I hate the smell of chip vans

You can feel free to add to the list and you can essentially make up most fo the posts in this thread, but no your right there was me on a discussion board discussing something and this is when your normally useless power of parnanoia suddenly found me out.

I work for fudnerland
    :rolleyes:

No - Alton Towers is £30.40 when you book online, and that allows you free rides all day. Funderland is €20 for 3hrs ride time (that's €60 for 9hrs of ride time, which is the equivalent of 1 full day in Alton Towers). Total rip off when compared, and considering the quality of the rides too it's actually disgraceful. I'd be embarrassed to try & justify the price difference.

So 9 hrs of ride time in Alton Towers is £30 (€35) and 9 hrs in Funderland is €60. Yeah, way to pwn me with your little price comparison there.... :rolleyes:

Fixed V's Travelling!

Did you read my post or just assume I work for funderland?

Seeing as you know the prices for alton towers does that mean you work them?

some people eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

LOL!

Fixed V's Travelling!

Exactly - travelling should be cheaper admission, since they don't have to maintain their grounds all year 'round. But it isn't - Funderland is far more expensive.
    Your "Fixed V's Travelling" argument only explains the quality of the rides - I'm referring to pricing. If they offer inferior rides, they should offer cheaper admission.

Exactly - travelling should be cheaper admission, since they don't have to maintain their grounds all year 'round. But it isn't - Funderland is far more expensive.
    Your "Fixed V's Travelling" argument only explains the quality of the rides - I'm referring to pricing. If they offer inferior rides, they should offer cheaper admission.

Avergae bag o chips in britan costs V's Average bag o chips in Ireland costs!

Indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nelly97

No - Alton Towers is £30.40 when you book online, and that allows you free rides all day.

It would be cheaper to go down the road to funderland then to get a plane & a hotel to go to Alton Towers. ;)

• Advertisement

Avergae bag o chips in britan costs V's Average bag o chips in Ireland costs!

Indeed
    Wow - way to address my point.

nelly97 wrote: »
    No - Alton Towers is £30.40 when you book online, and that allows you free rides all day.

It would be cheaper to go down the road to funderland then to get a plane & a hotel to go to Alton Towers. ;)
    Moot point. We're comparing amusement parks - not the travel costs of getting there + accommodation - the park itself has no say or bearing on that cost.

Moot point. We're comparing amusement parks - not the travel costs of getting there + accommodation - the park itself has no say or bearing on that cost.

No We were discussing funderland, you started discussing fixed v's travelling parks then, but the orignal discussion was on funderland which is an irish travellign amsument park. Perhaps we should discuss alternatives to it, so for alton towers that wouldinclude for many flights and accomadation.

Anyway im off to funderland with my nephews.

We were discussing funderland, you started discussing fixed v's travelling parks

Eh, what? You first made that comparison on Page 4 of this thread - before I even started posting! Clearly delusional! :rolleyes:
    Anyway im off to funderland with my nephews.
    Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Are there enough customers in Ireland (inc. tourists) to merit a big fixed amusement park like Alton Towers?
    I would love to see one, provided it wasn't leprechaun themed.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

kowloon wrote: »
    Are there enough customers in Ireland (inc. tourists) to merit a big fixed amusement park like Alton Towers?

Skangerland ! aka Dublin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

kowloon wrote: »
    Would love to see it happen too.
    I suspect though that should some company decide to plan to do such an operation, infighting between elected reps' would break out between which county deserves to get it within it (each rep' wanting to claim alone for their next election poster "I brought it to here!").

Some TD that the government of the day needs to keep on their side might get it into their area, if only as a sweetner.
    And god forbid its in the near middle of nowhere with poor accessibility, - well that would mean building more roads over our ever lessening Irish greenery.

They would be tied down by banking problems, TD's looking to be smoozed to win them over to easy the paperwork, planning regulations and other related technicalities. TD's: "what could be the benefits to me!"
    Small town parish-pump thinking and ways of doing things would boil down to local residents objections ignored or dismissed.

The church yet again might want another religious building shoved on to it (like what happened at the building of Mosney!) and if that happens, you know some Muslim offshoot might speak up and might claim "discrimination - why are we been left out! See, they hate us!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Duff wrote: »
    Do you have a horse outside?

Stop, please stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Dont.

The end.

Maddison wrote: »
    Hmmm was going to bring the little dude over tomorrow...maybe not judging by the posts. Is the ice skating still on does anyone know?

I still haven't read your post I just wanted to let you know I love your sig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pug13

How much are the individual rides, thinking about going with 3 small kids, whats the altenative? not going to hop on a plane, I 'm trying to work out is it cheaper to buy a wrist band thingy or just pay as you go, my kids, 9,7,3 will probably just go on the small rides.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

LOL - Funderland.

Crap rides, high admission, full of knackers, and tacky as sh*t.

I've been to Alton Towesr & Six Flags numerous times - I can't take our pathetic over-priced effort at at "rides" seriously whatsoever. Rickety 20 year-old old machines & smelly chipper vans, and run by carnies.

have you been there this year ?

what did you think of the new ride TH13TEEN ?

I thought it was brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

you would be suprised how cheap it is if you are lucky enough to get cheap flights, there are alot of hotels who give free tickets to the park with accommodation. we were there this year and flights, two nights in hotel, car hire and park cost €100 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

pug13 wrote: »
    How much are the individual rides, thinking about going with 3 small kids, whats the altenative? not going to hop on a plane, I 'm trying to work out is it cheaper to buy a wrist band thingy or just pay as you go, my kids, 9,7,3 will probably just go on the small rides.

Cheers

It'll probably work out about the same. Rides are 2 or 3 quid a go.

Ok ok while we may be able to relatively cheaply fly to britain then travel x miles (X being the distance from the airport you fly to, to alton towers).

Then finally go to the amusement park. The levels of hassle and travel dont really equate well to going to funderland for an afternoon quite so easily(for those of us who live in the greater dublin area).

Also I know Funderland doesnt compare, but really it is a fixed location site V's a travelling amusement park. I would have expected Alton towers to win in that comparission.

There was a plan to build a theme park way back in 2003, link about permission being denied for it here.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/council-vote-puts-paid-to-7bn-theme-park-dream-197662.html

I dont think anything like this would be a success, Irish begrudgery would put the boot in "sure it would be crap and not as good as europe" type approach.

Advertisement