Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women who criticise men for not being "practical"

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,535 ✭✭✭✭28064212

That is blasphemy.

No respect for veterans. WW1 soldiers were in the last human war. They make everyone else look like cockroaches.
    Ah, so you can take a huge section of society you know nothing about, put them into a hypothetical situation, but the reverse can't be done?

Incidentally, how much do you know about the Auxiliaries and the Black and Tans that operated in Ireland after WW1?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

No respect for veterans. WW1 soldiers were in the last human war. They make everyone else look like cockroaches.

Except for cavemen who fought saber tooth cats, viking warriors, the Spartan army etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Galvasean wrote: »
    Except for cavemen who fought saber tooth cats, viking warriors, the Spartan army etc.

No its not the same thing.

You are being so reductive about that war it's not funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I was just reading about Florence Nightingale there, jaysus - sure what's wrong with the women today at all.

No its not the same thing.

You are being so reductive about that war it's not funny.

I am only applying the same bias against WW1 soldiers that you applied to modern men

Now please, enlighten me by addressing the other point I made in my earlier post.

• Advertisement

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I was just reading about Florence Nightingale there, jaysus - sure what's wrong with the women today at all.

And how about that Gandhi guy? Peace through non violent means? What a pussy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

And how about that Gandhi guy? Peace through non violent means? What a pussy!

Well this is yet another example of why you have no idea about what those men went through. You saw the word "WAR' and filled in a bunch of blanks without knowing anything about what happened in that war and what those men did and put up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,535 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Well this is yet another example of why you have no idea about what those men went through. You saw the word "WAR' and filled in a bunch of blanks without knowing anything about what happened in that war and what those men did and put up with.
    WHen I started reading WW1 fiction...

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Uh huh... so which book of fiction did you learn about war from?
    Actually forget that point for now. It would be more beneficial to proceedings if you addressed this point:
    2. It is also unfair to call the men of today pussies. They haven't been drafted into a war scenario. If another world war broke out tomorrow many of the men you have labelled 'pussies' would probably become heroes. Basically what I'm getting at is that it is unfair to compare world war 1 soldiers with men who live in a war free country in the 21st Century. The 21st century men could very well be every bit as heroic as their ww1 predecessors. They just haven't been forced into the 'opportunity'.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I predict you'll need to replace the plug on your modem.

That'd learn me alright.
    Reminds me that I must work out how to fix my wireless network. :-/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Metrovelvet how well do you think you would cope at war?

I don't see how you have a right to criticise others for being pussies when you're not exactly jumping to go to a battlefield yourself.

A mans worth isn't measured in his ability to kill. I've noticed the people who criticise the most have the least to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

So given that I have not got a time machine and therefore cannot be in World War 1, I am a pussy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

SugarHigh wrote: »
    Metrovelvet how well do you think you would cope at war?

I don't see how you have a right to criticise others for being pussies when you're not exactly jumping to go to a battlefield yourself.

Even though metrovelvet mentions WW1 fiction, I have read enough accounts to accept men had it tough in WW1. Here's something one doesn't tend to hear about when that war is discussed:
    1914 and the Great War. To coerce men into the war a great idea was thought up by Admiral Charles Fitzgerald (perhaps it was his missus who thought it up and should go down as one of those female inventions that are sorely lacking). The idea involved women handing out white feathers to any man who was able to fight but didn't for whatever reason. Women were also encouraged to not form relationships with such cowardly men.

With the support of leading writers such as Mary Ward and Emma Orczy, the organisation encouraged women to give out white feathers to young men who had not joined the British Army.

Baroness Emma Orczy founded the Active Service League, an organisation that urged women to sign the pledge to never to be seen in public with any man who, being in every way fit and free for service, has refused to respond to his country's call.

Some of the leading feminists at the time such as Emmeline Pankhurst, Christabel Pankhurst and Annie Kenney played a leading role as speakers at meetings to shame young men into the army.

When this war had finally ended there were some 10,000,000 men dead, 21,000,000 wounded and 7,000,000 prisoners or missing.

And look who were some of the main activists in forcing men to die.
    Doesn't show much bravery on the part of the women. Calling men pussies is a great way to bully them to do things they may not be willing to do themselves.

The White Feather still existed (albeit less popular) in World War Two as well. I've always found it a little distasteful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Look, if ever a woman tells you that you are not "practical" just smile, tell her you want to take her out. Go off and get ready, then both of you hit the town. Go for dinner and drinks, then to the pub and then a late bar or night club, leave at closing time.

As you walk the streets in search of a taxi and she has to take her shoes off after complaining for 2 hours how much they hurt give her a wink, a smile and say "Now who's ****ing practical?"
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I disagree. I have never had cause to change a plug, ever.
    If and when I need to do so, I will fire up google, grab a screwdriver and do it.
    I couldn't tell you off the top of my head which colour wire goes where but I know where to find that info out.

the lively brown bear sat on the green earth under the neutral blue sky ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

for screws or anything that needs twisting off - lefty loosey, righty tighty. now that's some manly practical skills right there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

WHen I started reading WW1 fiction, like the Pat BArker trilogy and "Birdsong" I developed a totally new respect for men because previous to that I had no idea of what they have been through and what they have done.

Then I looked around me and all I saw were a bunch of pussies.

Sorry.
    Maybe it's an urban phenomenon. I was in NYC and pregnant when I was going through my WW1 phase of interest. The men around me all seemed like a bunch of over polished spoiled whinging nancy boys who could be on the cover of GQ. If they were in WW1 they'd all call their lawyers.

What exactly makes the men of today pussies? Are you assuming that they wouldn't be able to display courage and bravery in such a situation because some of them are well groomed?

It sounds like this fiction you were reading has given you a romanticised ideal of the soldiers back then. There weren't the invincible brawny "born again hard" individuals that you might see in certain films; the reality is that most of them were scared ****less when in the trenches. Who wouldn't be in such a situation, they were fighting for their very survival. The survival of their loved ones. That's where the bravery and courage came from, and there's no reason why the men of today wouldn't be able to use the same motivation if they were thrown into such a situation.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    What exactly makes the men of today pussies? Are you assuming that they wouldn't be able to display courage and bravery in such a situation because some of them are well groomed?

It sounds like this fiction you were reading has given you a romanticised ideal of the soldiers back then. There weren't the invincible brawny "born again hard" individuals that you might see in certain films; the reality is that most of them were scared ****less when in the trenches. Who wouldn't be in such a situation, they were fighting for their very survival. The survival of their loved ones. That's where the bravery and courage came from, and there's no reason why the men of today wouldn't be able to use the same motivation if they were thrown into such a situation.

+1 to this. The idea that the men of today are pussies because they do not compare to fictionalized soldiers is one of the most ridiculous I have ever read. It is about as valid as saying that all women are terrible and cannot compare to Jessica Rabbit, Caprica Six or any other female character from fiction.

The men of WW1 showed amazing courage and that should never be doubted. But they had a world war to show that in. Where exactly would I be able to show that bravery? Those men did what they had to do at the time. That is all any of us can do. You can be sure that WW1 had its fair share of pretty boy soldiers who were fond of slicking back their hair. Appearances are not the way that we decide the moral courage of a person. Give credit to the soldiers, but metrovelvet is being ridiculous.

Also, why are you assuming that nobody else here understands WW1? You are talking about fiction based on WW1, but there will be many here who have a deep understanding of WW1 through an interest in history or academic studies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement