Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women who criticise men for not being "practical"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Like the great Peter Vankman said......

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSf6laKV1IRDznKMWSTBMcK_nWAfroVMryCAsk1oiwLlsoOvTsN7Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Reward

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    I have to say I'm a little bit guilty of this. For all my feminist rantings, I tend to leave the practical stuff to the fellas and presume they'd know a bit more about it than me. My male friend called to my flat the other day to watch a DVD and the machine broke all of sudden. I stood back and let him take over and he'd no more of a clue of what to do than me (I made the dinner!) Honestly, it's more out of laziness than anything else. I'm just not bothered with all that whereas I've found more men who get a kick out of that stuff....plus some men do like to show-off and sometimes presume a women can't do it. I can actually change a plug, light-bulb, put furniture together and if there's no man around which there's generally not, I usually get stuff fixed. Really, it's sheer laziness.

Leaving practical things for men to do is not the same thing as being a harpy that goes out of her way to inform men that they are are not in fact men if they don't deem him to be practical enough for them, its the same thing as leaving domestic or child rearing duties for women to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Josh_Calvert

women like that are worthless.ignore them.science=win.

anything a man has worked hard at and cares about= win.

You should have told the silly bitches if it wasn't for a scientist there would be no vibrators and what not. The dim yokes you were talking to no doubt would need a 3 phase vibrator :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I generally just ignore it, even though it hasn't been said to me too often. It is like the female equivalent of being lambasted for not being good at cooking or liking babies merely because you are a woman.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

If someone came out with a comment like that to me, I'd turn my back on them and start talking to someone else.. I can do many practical things, have no problems with DIY stuff around the house etc, I can iron, cook and have no problem with housework.. but if someone starts bitching about things like that or comes out with the whole "oh thats a mans job" comment, my interesting in even chatting to them goes out the window.

I love the way some people, women and men, come out with bitchy comments like that about other people and will have nothing bad said about themselves ad of course they are perfect.

I know of one girl who used to constantly b*tch about her bf not earning enough money so he could spoil her and "buy her nice things", he should have done this and done that and changed to this career and did these qualifications.. the chap earned a decent wage, was a likeable, clever and intelligent guy and liked his line of work.. she on the other hand, worked part time in a spar, was a lazy as f*ck and a complete brainless idiot.. :mad:

Likewise, a guy I know used to constantly get onto his girlfriend about her not being ambitious enough in her career and should be going for promotions etc.. again, she liked her job, was good at it, got on well with her colleagues and didnt want to change, but this was not good enough for him.. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

Surely being a bit practical around the house is generally essential, regardless of female expectations??

I've been happily single and living alone more often than not over the last few years and I believe everyone should be able to do basic car maintenance (change a flat, tyre pressure, oil etc) and do minor DIY about the house.

They aren't 'man' jobs, they are just jobs! It's like saying washing and cleaning is womens work. If I didn't do it, who else would??

Someone you get in. I tried to fix a toilet once, the plumber really fixing up my (much worse) toilet later made a deal. I would stop fixing toilets and he would stop writing critical system software.

funny guy;

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

I am looking for a girlfriend to judge me on the following:

1) my ability to make a good cup of tea

2) my ability to assemble furniture

3) my ability to figure out any remote control functions faster than they can

I am tired of all these shallow women judging me on my looks, personality and intelligence when the above hidden talents go to waste

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

limklad wrote: »
    I usually Take note of what they are complaining about, and refuse to do that particular task along with others, I never rise or verbally attack back. If they say I am useless then I be useless for them deliberately for 24 hours for every minute they nag.

This sounds to me (IMO) like you are a passive aggressive / controlling person. All I could hear when I read that was 'I have the upper hand'.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

donfers wrote: »
    I am looking for a girlfriend to judge me on the following:

1) my ability to make a good cup of tea

2) my ability to assemble furniture

3) my ability to figure out any remote control functions faster than they can

I am tired of all these shallow women judging me on my looks, personality and intelligence when the above hidden talents go to waste

lol your teamaking ability would be important to me, as would your handing over the remote :)

The bf and myself seem to have a fair split of such things, he's afraid of heights so doesn't climb ladders to change bulbs,(ceilings are about ten foot high in this house :rolleyes:) I don't fiddle with anything gas related, he stays away from my toolbox, I stay away from his gadgets etc.

All about balance tbf, don't try doing what you can't to impress someone :)

And in this day and age, most people should be able to do the basics DIY and car maintenance wise regardless of gender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Im a scientist. In my spare time I fix cars. At work I have to fix and rig up equipment. And being a scientist using all sorts of different equipment for different experiments means I need to be a bit of a plumber and electrician occasionally a builder or a fabricator so I can get an experiment set up.

Theres no job like it really.

Scientists, we are a different breed!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

Doesn't matter how practical you are though with women like this.
    I can put up shelves, changes tyres, fix computers, change plugs, splice wires, solder, assemble furniture, fix bikes etc.

I'm still "useless" if I can't fix washing machines, get cars started, repair a broken TV or give a simple instructions on how to open a .pdf over the phone.

Ignore women like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

mfceiling wrote: »
    This is a good thread.
    A recent article in the sunday times magazine was actually stating that men are becoming increasingly "useless" at so called man's things.
    The amount of men who couldn't change a flat wheel on a car, wire a plug, fix a dripping tap etc.
    One mans wife looked at her husband in disgust after giving a plumber 50 quid for a basic job that he "should" have been able to do.
    I work in construction myself and it's actually a pain in the ar5e - the amount of stuff herself wants done is shocking.........

Both sexes are generally "useless" these days at what they were expected to know how to do 40 years ago. There are very few women who could sew a skirt or kill and dress a chicken for dinner these days. However, I do think more people of both sexes should be able to do some basic household plumbing, electrical, and repair tasks, especially if you are a homeowner.
    Another pet peeve of mine. Everyone should be in possesion of both jump leads the knowledge of how to use them!

My dad would not let any of us drive until we could change a tire, jump the car, and check the oil. And I can't tell you how many times I have given a man a jump and he has tried to lecture me (incorrectly) on how to do it. Dude, you don't even have your own cables, please stop. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

skregs wrote: »
    I can put up shelves, changes tyres, fix computers, change plugs, splice wires, solder, assemble furniture, fix bikes etc.

Me too. And yet, and yet....there are some things that I'm just not strong enough to do and I have to ask a man. One of the most frustrating was, having recently completed a car maintenence course, I got a flat tyre. Well I had the spare, the jack, the spanner....and couldn't open the nut. All I needed was that first turn!

Mind you, a year later, driving down the country, my radiator cap exploded off and boiling water flew everywhere. (My own fault - I hadn't tightened it properly) So I go to a house to ask for a bottle of water. Well, the man of the house came out, stuck his head in the engine and wanted to start messing about. He knew a lot less that me, what he wanted to do was dangerous, his wife was full of encouragement for him - and I practically had to pull him off the car. Wouldn't, couldn't believe that a woman knew anything about cars.

My last partner, we had a agreement. I did the cooking and DIY, he did the hoovering and the ironing - both of which he was way fussier than me about. I felt like I had a good bargain, and so did he.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

FruitLover wrote: »
    I wouldn't specifically call changing a tyre a "man's" thing - as far as I'm concerned, anyone who drives a car should be able to do it. Same with wiring a plug; a child could do it (new plugs usually even come with instructions!). Any grown adult of either gender who doesn't know how to do both (assuming they drive a car and use electrical appliances) should be ashamed of themselves.

I disagree. I have never had cause to change a plug, ever.
    If and when I need to do so, I will fire up google, grab a screwdriver and do it.
    I couldn't tell you off the top of my head which colour wire goes where but I know where to find that info out.
    I'll do it if and when the time comes, that's good enough.

If you are driving a car, you should know how to change a tire, because you can get a flat any where. You won't be stranded if your toaster's fuse blows.
    FruitLover wrote: »
    I remember a few years back hearing some woman complaining that she was stuck on the side of the road for hours with a flat tyre because no men stopped to help her! :rolleyes:

Some will be capable of doing it but will not see the need, someone else will stop to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

verywell wrote: »
    This sounds to me (IMO) like you are a passive aggressive / controlling person. All I could hear when I read that was 'I have the upper hand'.
    Nope I do not degrade others, I just don't react and let them drag me to their degrading level and be a puppet with their mind control games. Life is too short. If their choice to drop to that level, it is their choice not mine. Everybody is responsible for their own actions no matter what is done to them in the present or past.

As My grandmother say to others when they get all bossy or throws tantrums: "Treat others as you expect them to treat you. Treat people with respect then you will receive respect."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

BrianD3 wrote: »
    It was the fault of myself and my Dad that we weren't man enough to get the water flowing.

I hear comments like that directed at men all the time. Women seem very quick to label men as not been "man enough" or that they need to "grow a pair" these days. Whatever the reason, it seems to be on the increase.

I wonder how some of those women would react if a man were to say to them that they weren't "real women" and needed to "grow some ovaries" and all because they just weren't very good at cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I hear comments like that directed at men all the time. Women seem very quick to label men as not been "man enough" or that they need to "grow a pair" these days.

These are probably the same women that complain, "You never buy me flowers anymore!" Damned if you do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I hear comments like that directed at men all the time. Women seem very quick to label men as not been "man enough" or that they need to "grow a pair" these days. Whatever the reason, it seems to be on the increase.

I wonder how some of those women would react if a man were to say to them that they weren't "real women" and needed to "grow some ovaries" and all because they just weren't very good at cooking.

WHen I started reading WW1 fiction, like the Pat BArker trilogy and "Birdsong" I developed a totally new respect for men because previous to that I had no idea of what they have been through and what they have done.

Then I looked around me and all I saw were a bunch of pussies.

Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

WHen I started reading WW1 fiction, like the Pat BArker trilogy and "Birdsong" I developed a totally new respect for men because previous to that I had no idea of what they have been through and what they have done.

Sorry.

so you would have more respect for men if we were all killing each other?

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote: »
    so you would have more respect for men if we were all killing each other?

You obviously have no idea what those men went through in WW1 if you can say something so reductive and insulting to the men who died and sufferred in that war.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I disagree. I have never had cause to change a plug, ever.
    If and when I need to do so, I will fire up google, grab a screwdriver and do it.

I predict you'll need to replace the plug on your modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

In your eyes, what made these men "pussies"?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I predict you'll need to replace the plug on your modem.
    That's what smartphones are for

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

You obviously have no idea what those men went through in WW1 if you can say something so reductive and insulting to the men who died and sufferred in that war.

I didn't "say" anything I asked you a question to try and clarify what moderen man and their practical uses have to do with WW1 and why men today are pussies.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Sorry.

I have 2 issues with your post:

1. Yeah, the real men of today are no match for the men from a series of fictional books.

2. It is also unfair to call the men of today pussies. They haven't been drafted into a war scenario. If another world war broke out tomorrow many of the men you have labelled 'pussies' would probably become heroes. Basically what I'm getting at is that it is unfair to compare world war 1 soldiers with men who live in a war free country in the 21st Century. The 21st century men could very well be every bit as heroic as their ww1 predecessors. they just haven't been forced into the 'opportunity'.
    You could also argue that world war 1 soldiers are 'pussies' compared to cavemen. You'd never see a WW1 soldier take on a saber tooth cat armed only with a pointy stick! Of course, that is also an unfair comparison as there were no saber tooth cats in WW1.

ntlbell wrote: »
    I didn't "say" anything I asked you a question to try and clarify what moderen man and their practical uses have to do with WW1 and why men today are pussies.

Maybe it's an urban phenomenon. I was in NYC and pregnant when I was going through my WW1 phase of interest. The men around me all seemed like a bunch of over polished spoiled whinging nancy boys who could be on the cover of GQ. If they were in WW1 they'd all call their lawyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Maybe it's an urban phenomenon. I was in NYC and pregnant when I was going through my WW1 phase of interest. The men around me all seemed like a bunch of over polished spoiled whinging nancy boys who could be on the cover of GQ. If they were in WW1 they'd all call their lawyers.
    And if the WW1 men were in NYC today, they'd be homeless bums and serial killers. Hypothetical reversals work both ways

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    And if the WW1 men were in NYC today, they'd be homeless bums and serial killers. Hypothetical reversals work both ways

That is blasphemy.

No respect for veterans. WW1 soldiers were in the last human war. They make everyone else look like cockroaches.

• Advertisement

There was plenty of over polished spoiled whining nancy boys around at the time of world war I, they just didn't happen to be holding a gun :rolleyes:

Advertisement