Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Is it just me or was Dave Fanning pretty scathing in a subtle way in the show the other night? Basically everything he said about Gerry Ryan was negative. Fair play to them for not making it a sugar coated tribute but I actually thought Gerry Ryan was a good mate of his. Maybe he was just been as brutally honest as he could, which is to be commended.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

niallo24 wrote: »
    Is it just me or was Dave Fanning pretty scathing in a subtle way in the show the other night? Basically everything he said about Gerry Ryan was negative. Fair play to them for not making it a sugar coated tribute but I actually thought Gerry Ryan was a good mate of his. Maybe he was just been as brutally honest as he could, which is to be commended.

Bono and Flatley,listed in Gerry's book as "extremely close friends" had very little to say on the docu.

Bono was in the papers today saying he couldnt keep up with Ryan's "rock n roll" lifestyle.

Methinks there's bridge-burning goin on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I personally think it is disgusting to 'celebrate' the life of a drug abuser on a special program, no matter who he was professionally.

Oh sure it wasn't poor Gerry's fault, blame the drug pushers.:rolleyes:

Nobody is "blaming" anyone other than Gerry for the fact he took cocaine.

He took cocaine, he was an arrogant DJ with a self inflated opinion of himself and yes, he was hypocritical about what he said and the lifestyle he chose to live, but he was also a decent guy, a good father and someone whom a large section of the Irish public wished to listen to and view on a daily basis for years.

I personally would have preferred someone else to have his morning show but that does not mean I didn't see what the attraction was for his listeners and indeed, many mornings I would listen to him myself and then most likely post on threads complaining about something inappropriate that he had said.

Looking back though, I think I overlooked what I did like about his presenting style and I do have to say that I miss the show and even though he used to infuriate me and make me cringe at times, equally - he would also make me laugh with some of the things he would come out with, despite myself. I often found myself tuning in many mornings if there was a big story, just to hear his views and his unique skewed views on things.

I miss that, as who else do we have: Tubridy and Kenny who have opinions that you could set your alarm clock to, the same old politically correct dross, going out of their way to not offend anyone.

I may not have agreed with G Ryan's immature and preposterous (at times) opinions on a whole range of issues, but at least I felt was getting something that was real (hypocritical at times sure, no question) but real and heart felt on many many issues none-the-less and an opinion you knew he felt and wasn't just saying so as not to offend anyone, quite the opposite in fact.

Okay he was not open about his cocaine use for whatever amount of years that he took it, but is no where near enough of a reason in my eyes for the man to get the level of disrespect that he has received since his death and is still receiving today.

Boards lights up like a Christmas tree when ever we hear the topic of marijuana and it's legality get discussed, but let me assure you, the same scumbags that bring in cocaine, are also the ones bringing in marijuana. So don't be too smug if you smoke a joint but would never touch heroin or cocaine.

Let's not begrudge him a TV show at the end of the year of his death. Especially one that pointed out many of his flaws, failings and made no bones about the fact that he was undisciplined, irresponsible, destructive and in fact that his drug use contributed to criminal activity.

All the finger pointing and pontificating is getting tiresome and boorish in the extreme. He's dead and his memory will for ever be tarnished and his career now overshadowed by the fact that he took cocaine and was hypocritical about doing so. No matter which way you look at it, he and his family have paid the ultimate price for his drug use.

Enough at this stage, leave him have whatever dignity he has left.

I know we're all atheists these days, but surely you don't have to be a Christian to see the virtuousness of showing a little mercy, especially to the dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

eh didnt he condemn drug users on his programme constantly? and then turn out to be a giant hypocrite, who knows what some drug users did on the back of his "advice"...

c**t of the highest order tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

eh didnt he condemn drug users on his programme constantly? and then turn out to be a giant hypocrite, who knows what some drug users did on the back of his "advice"...

He was anti drugs on air alright, but he was far from any sort of Joe Duffy anti-drug campainger. Given his position in RTE, and his obvious desire to hide his addiction from his family, he could hardly come out and advocate drug use

Yes his comment were hypocritical,however I certainly wouldnt label him as a c**t of the highest order just because of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

IMO a widespread legalisation of evil drugs must be enforced with immediate effect to save the reputation of our national treasure, the one and only, Mr Jerry Ryan.

For god's sake...think of the Ryans! :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Cheap shot! Look in the mirror tit!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ART6 wrote: »
    It seems he had many worries (don't we all?) and he had money problems on a salary of €630,000 a year. A lot of folks manage to have money problems on much lower incomes than that. He didn't get on with his bosses -- Oh poor man. There are a few others who could claim that perhaps?
    How much coke can €630,000 a year buy? Sounds like that, and the drink gave him a money problem. Also, I'd say at least one person would be blackmailing him about his habit, esp with his view of junkies. That, and I can't see him buying coke from a low-life dealer, as there's too much risk for him, so more than likely he was either using a middle-man, or the dealer was a rich cnut himself, and charged Gerry a bit extra for not talking to the media.
    Wertz wrote: »
    So what is the proper use for cocaine?
    In 1859, the treatment of "a furred tongue in the morning, flatulence, and whitening of the teeth.", and in 1884, as a local anesthetic in Germany. Only legal now in Mexico.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

the_syco wrote: »
    , I'd say at least one person would be blackmailing him about his habit, esp with his view of junkies. .

Its true..not only that he would've been paying top dollar for his coke,you dont pay that sort of price if you're buying in quantity,people who buy an ounce at a time are usually supplying people further down the chain.

Degsy wrote: »
    Its true..not only that he would've been paying top dollar for his coke,you dont pay that sort of price if you're buying in quantity,people who buy an ounce at a time are usually supplying people further down the chain.

Are you accusing him of being a drug pusher? This thread is about to go ultra deep space...****!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Degsy wrote: »
    ro_chez wrote: »
    Are you accusing him of being a drug pusher? This thread is about to go ultra deep space...****!

Hmmm..
    Meanwhile former RTÉ 2FM DJ Gareth O'Callaghan has claimed that there is widespread use of cocaine within the state broadcaster, including four well known personalities.

In an interview with the Sunday Independent he claimed that Gerry Ryan once offered him cocaine in the RTÉ staff canteen, telling him: "Don't knock it till you try it".
    http://www.insideireland.ie/index.cfm/section/news/ext/gerryryandeath001/category/905

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Absolutely wild statement to make.

The man dabbled in cocaine. That, to me, is not drug abuse.

dabbled?? bullsh1t

tommyhaas wrote: »
    He was anti drugs on air alright, but he was far from any sort of Joe Duffy anti-drug campainger. Given his position in RTE, and his obvious desire to hide his addiction from his family, he could hardly come out and advocate drug use

Yes his comment were hypocritical,however I certainly wouldnt label him as a c**t of the highest order just because of that

well people are only too glad to say how much he positively affected their lives so i dont think its too far to go that he negatively affected lives of people he criticized too and who knows to what extent...

Bosco boy wrote: »
    Cheap shot! Look in the mirror tit!

would you like to expand on this, are you saying i'm a hypocrite?

also attack the post not the poster...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

So you wouldn't be giving out if he had have glorified drug use on his show?

So you wouldn't be giving out if he had have glorified drug use on his show?

i dont care if people take drugs, its your own body - do wtf you want (i personally think every country should have policies like portugal on drugs) . he should have avoided the topic if he didnt want to be frank and honest about it. and if it was as obvious to RTE staff as it seems to have been from certain comments, then he could easily have said i dont want to deal with this as i'm not a hypocrite.

there was no need to take the public stance he took on it...

Or Vincent Browne living in Dalkey. I am with you comrade, on the hypocrisy of Irish public life but, nevertheless, there was a bit of fun to Ryan and none to the professional hypocrites.

how much does vincent browne make yearly? living in dalkey does not equate to being loaded

tommyhaas wrote: »

he called people who hadnt a 10th of the money he had junkies, junkies who should know better and resist bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

i dont care if people take drugs, its your own body - do wtf you want (i personally think every country should have policies like portugal on drugs) . he should have avoided the topic if he didnt want to be frank and honest about it. and if it was as obvious to RTE staff as it seems to have been from certain comments, then he could easily have said i dont want to deal with this as i'm not a hypocrite.

there was no need to take the public stance he took on it...

no point even talking to you

no point even talking to you

lol, whys that now?

• Advertisement

lol, whys that now?

i agree with you if he had any sort of intelligence he could have avoided calling people junkies

steddyeddy wrote: »
    how much does vincent browne make yearly? living in dalkey does not equate to being loaded

In fairness, it does though, unless you live with your parents...but then your "allowance" would be classified as being loaded in the current economical climate!

ro_chez wrote: »
    In fairness, it does though, unless you live with your parents...but then your "allowance" would be classified as being loaded in the current economical climate!

ask that of the people in the houses behind super valu

steddyeddy wrote: »
    ask that of the people in the houses behind super valu

goddamn conglomerates...I dont know who to point the finger at anymore:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 HayleyLyons1

gerry ryan, sound lad. Way laid by the celebrity, "i'm the craic" culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Gerry? Could never agree with him. His voice in the morning. Na . i quite hated to hear it cause it meant once again i was late for school. but Im quite sick of everyone going on about him. He may have been a fine man, he may have been a traitor. But why cant they just leave him to be. Why drag everything up. and keep going on about him for the next few months(bloody papers) I just hate to see a paper Gerry this, Gerry that. Cocaine maniac, 2k a week. So what. Its too late now to change the past. can ppl just drop it. its a shame not.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

ART6 wrote: »
    Can we now give it a rest and leave the man alone? He is dead, for f***s sake!

I agree OP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement