Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

k_mac wrote: »
    Victims of what?

Over-charging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Gerry Ryan. RIP. Lovely man. Decent chap. Disliked by idiots.

And people with taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Gary Rowan. RIP. Lovely man. Decent chap. Disliked by idiots.

Who?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Do I have a problem with his cocaine addiction? No.

Do I have a problem with the extortionate fee he commanded from RTE? Not really, we shouldn't be too fast to begrudge and punish success in this country.

Do I have a problem with the anti-drugs and anti-crime stance and pontification on his show? In light of recent disclosure, you bet.

Gerry Ryan was a hypocrite who came from a long tradition of hypocrisy in Irish public figures, from Haughey telling us to tighten our belts through to Bishop Eamonn Casey denying he fathered a son.

As long as it's showtime, the Irish collective media have no problem embracing and rewarding these types of people, but just watch them scatter when the wheels come off the wagon so publicly.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

I don't want to be an idiot. R.I.P Gerry Ryan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭snickers

Don't get me wrong, i wasn't particularly a fan of his, but this implication that the state of his financial affairs was entirely his fault rankles me.[/QUOTE]

It rankles me that you seem to think that Gerry had anyone else to blame but himself for his financial crisis even if he was giving morah say half that still left alot to spend on his lavish and over indulgent lifestyle . Im sure gerry managed to get his fat paws on the finest powder available you want top notch product you pay top notch prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

loved by idiots :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

thebullkf wrote: »
    loved by idiots :rolleyes:

You saying his family are idiots?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

galwayrush wrote: »
    You saying his family are idiots?:confused:

of course not, rabble rabble's enlightening comment influenced my reply.

what do you think of him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Didnt like the way his wife came across in last nights 'tribute' programme..
    She seemed a tad false.

• Advertisement

thebullkf wrote: »
    of course not, rabble rabble's enlightening comment influenced my reply.

what do you think of him?

Thought he could be a pompous git at times, but didn't dislike him. Hopefully some good will come out of this as regards drug awareness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

Gerry Ryan was a hypocrite who came from a long tradition of hypocrisy in Irish public figures, from Haughey telling us to tighten our belts through to Bishop Eamonn Casey denying he fathered a son.

Or Vincent Browne living in Dalkey. I am with you comrade, on the hypocrisy of Irish public life but, nevertheless, there was a bit of fun to Ryan and none to the professional hypocrites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

By the way it is funny to be accused of a troll when i was less than critical of the recently deceased. Unless we are all bitter folk hating the famous behind our pseudonymous monikers, we troll apparently.

The drugs are an excuse. Ryan was disliked anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,165 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I watched the doc last night, and all it really did was remind me why I never listened to the guy.

"How big is your willy? Is it huge?":rolleyes: That's all Gerry had to offer.
    Radio for the morons. But, weren't there plenty of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭geespot

can we exect the same witch hunt for his dealer like katy french while the scum dealing to joe soap or allowed to continue uninterrupted

geespot wrote: »
    can we exect the same witch hunt for his dealer like katy french while the scum dealing to joe soap or allowed to continue uninterrupted

Do you not read the news? There is seizures and arrests every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Last nights special was decent enough, didn't gloss over the cocaine use.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1087850

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

Or Vincent Browne living in Dalkey. I am with you comrade, on the hypocrisy of Irish public life but, nevertheless, there was a bit of fun to Ryan and none to the professional hypocrites.

How does Vincent Browne living in Dalkey make him a hypocite? Has he claimed somewhere that he doesn't live in Dalkey?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I dunno it all seems odd that the last posterboy for the Celtic Tiger died early,penniless and as a result of illegal activities.

Gerry Ryan's death will hopefully mark a turning point in the way people view the vapid fallacy of "success".

Do you not read the news? There is seizures and arrests every week.

so what your telling me is that the gardai arent aware of drug dealers who they allow to operate freely

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Last nights special was decent enough, didn't gloss over the cocaine use.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1087850

Ah but they made it appear that he resorted to cocaine recently due to "stress and family troubles".

A tragic figure who just found it all too much one day and started experimenting with drugs.

The fact is that the man was shovelling bugle up his hooter for the best part of two decades...his cocaine use was part and parcell of his percieved place at the top of the tree in Ireland's social scene.."I gots money so i uses cocaine".

I've met dozens of people(some who work in rte including a TV presenter) who take cocaine because they thought it befitted thier "status" in life as high-earners and social lions.

All bullshiit of course.

They lived day to day on thier credit cards and couldnt see the sheer stupidity of spending 600 quid a week on rubbish cocaine that turned them into even bigger arseholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭wealthyman

Well as long as we keep getting to see pictures of his hot ex wife in the papers then I don't mind.

so what your telling me is that the gardai arent aware of drug dealers who they allow to operate freely

Knowing someone is doing something and building a case and proving it are completely different things. Sure it would be great if Gardaí could go into peoples home and search people whenever they want but that isn't the country we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Tucking Fypo

Disappointing. I thought this thread would be about the vileness of the ads broadcast about that documentary avec vomitty backing music.

I personally think it is disgusting to 'celebrate' the life of a drug abuser on a special program, no matter who he was professionally.

Oh sure it wasn't poor Gerry's fault, blame the drug pushers.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

galwayrush wrote: »
    No, pushers are scumbags, users are addicts and victims.

There are still people who believe there is such thing as a drug "pusher" :confused:

Knowing someone is doing something and building a case and proving it are completely different things. Sure it would be great if Gardaí could go into peoples home and search people whenever they want but that isn't the country we live in.

but dont they let them operate because the dealers or passing on information to the gardai and the gardai love information. dont get me wrong its not all the gardai fault the courts or to lenient and we dont have enough prison space to keep the scumbags in. if only we could go back to the days when there was no ceasefire and the ira would sort them out

but dont they let them operate because the dealers or passing on information to the gardai and the gardai love information

No

No

isnt it true when you say no you mean yes

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    There are still people who believe there is such thing as a drug "pusher" :confused:

The term confuses you?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

isnt it true when you say no you mean yes

No

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement