Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan

Options
  • 28-12-2010 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else out there as sick as I am about every newspaper I bought for the last month having a banner headline about Gerry Ryan and then proceeding over two or more pages to dissect his lifestyle?

I thought he was a great guy and a first class broadcaster. My OH loved him deeply and placed him above me, the kids, the dog, and the washing machine in about that order. But he was a broadcaster. His job was to get the punters in and he did that superlatively. He made money for RTE as he was employed to do.

It seems he had many worries (don't we all?) and he had money problems on a salary of €630,000 a year. A lot of folks manage to have money problems on much lower incomes than that. He didn't get on with his bosses -- Oh poor man. There are a few others who could claim that perhaps?

He had a cocaine and alcohol habit and his friends (extraordinary how many friends he had by what the media says) tried to talk him out of it: "Oh dear Gerry, I tried to help him (and myself with a little publicity)". A lot of people die every year from cocaine, alcohol, disease, accidents, and they don't make pages of news for months. Are they less than him?

Can we now give it a rest and leave the man alone? He is dead, for f***s sake!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

You didn't think this one through ART....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Irony

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

ART6 wrote: »
    Is anyone else out there as sick as I am about every newspaper I bought for the last month having a banner headline about Gerry Ryan and then proceeding over two or more pages to dissect his lifestyle?

Why on earth is an otherwise intelligent person buying "newspapers"? (especially if they are as trashy as the Sunday Independent/Irish Independent)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Ah I like this thread.

Stuff about Gerry Ryan....I don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Bog

I thought I had finally laid the whole Gerry Ryan thing to rest until I saw this thread. Thanks OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I wouldn't count on it. Famous junkies are immortal in the media. Jacko, French, Pheonix and now Ryan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

White stuff: Stopping DJ's going to work during winter.....spring.....summer.... and autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Yeah, a great guy who despite being grossly overpaid decided it wasn't enough to fund his coke habit, and chose to steal from the Irish taxpayer too. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Please no.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

He was a 'genius'! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Who? *

* = In before the Biggins!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Yeah, a great guy who despite being grossly overpaid decided it wasn't enough to fund his coke habit, and chose to steal from the Irish taxpayer too. :rolleyes:

What did he do, break the tax payers piggy bank and take the money?:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

What?

Proof or GTFO

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

No sympathy for Gerry Ryan at all.

The lad died from drug abuse. scumbag in my eyes.

flag123 wrote: »

No, pushers are scumbags, users are addicts and victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

galwayrush wrote: »

It's not like it's advertised left right and center.
    It's not like he didn't know the consequences.
    It's a black market which he supported.

Couldn't help himself could he.

Absolutely wild statement to make.

The man dabbled in cocaine. That, to me, is not drug abuse.

Victims of what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I would be inclined to back galwayrush, pity the government won't legalise drugs, your body kind of thing and all, I know enough people screwing their life with alcohol and the cash that could be brought in through taxes

Sorry for going off topic

But on topic his ex mrs is something else for a lady of her age ;-)

• Advertisement

It's not like it's advertised left right and center.
    It's not like he didn't know the consequences.
    It's a black market which he supported.

Couldn't help himself could he.

He obviously couldn't help himself, no different than the poorer / non famous addicts who die every day.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Obligatory anti-drugs video.

k_mac wrote: »
    Victims of what?

Drug abuse.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭geespot

i didnt think it was possible for ryan to get anymore annoying then he goes and dies. so now we can gather all the facts he was a pompous patronising conceited alco drug taking greedy perv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

A fat sick lying bastard who ate too much, drank too much and regaled us with his pontification and two facedness, whilst he funded drug terrorism in the capital and left his family broke. An embarrassment who whilst didn’t play with his micky on a UK flight was a self righteous lying wanker all the same. €12K plus a week and left his family penniless – tosser.

mod note, user banned for this gem. See AH charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

who's turn is it to do the ironing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Have you got anything to back this up, or did you just get your facts mixed up as you jumped on the band wagon??

Drug abuse.:rolleyes:

Victims of having too much money and no sense maybe. It's self inflicted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

sligopark wrote: »
    A fat sick lying bastard who ate too much, drank too much and regaled us with his pontification and two facedness, whilst he funded drug terrorism in the capital and left his family broke. An embarrassment who whilst didn’t play with his micky on a UK flight was a self righteous lying wanker all the same. €12K plus a week and left his family penniless – tosser.

I sense a family connection here :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Absolutely wild statement to make.

The man dabbled in cocaine. That, to me, is not drug abuse.

really???

using a drug for purposes other than its proper use, is drug abuse.

couldn't stand the man,always felt he was a hypocrite,boastful,arrogant,ignorant mutton head.

Talking about the drugs scourge live on air,sympathising with loved ones who'd lost family members to drug abuse,all the while doing it himself.

Goddamn hypocrisy boiled me blood.

Also rattling on @ one stage about his kids/kid going to the States/Aus. to start a new life and him getting misty eyed... you'd swear they hadn't a pot to pee in... unlike countless other's who are forced to flee this shithole for the lack of work.
    The mans death is tragic like all other deaths for the one's left behind,his ex and kids i have sympathy with.
    I wonder if the ex had enough of his Habit?...who knows...and to be honest-who care's. I found him to be obnoxious and thought himself above other people {from personal experience}

Good luck to his family. Good Riddance to him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement